Where does Woodson fit in our D?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trust me, for the amount of time that he's been off of the field, the Packers aren't going to just insert him into the defense was every snap. He will be eased into the rotation while Capers and McCarthy determine where all of the pieces fit best.

This is a great problem to have. How many other teams sit around at this time of the season, trying to figure out which of their stud DBs is best to have on the field?

he's been practicing so once he get's back into game condition he will be fine. Same with Matthews. You can forget where you put your wallet but you don't forget how to play football. These guy's are football players.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mentioned this in a thread a few weeks ago, I do not think we should mess with this D other than Shields and Matthews coming back. The secondary especially is looking GOOD. If you have a hot hand you role with it and this secondary is HOT if they stumble yes start playing him more but I would like to see Mcmillian and Jennings more than Woodson this week.

Although with Jay being Jay maybe Woodson should play more just for this week haha.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson may not have to be on the field every play but the opportunities still present a great need for his skills.

1) Safety blitz - with our weak pass rush this may be one of the only ways to put pressure on a QB
He knows when and how to make his move into the backfield.
2) Despite losing a step he still reads the opposing QBs very well. We could have had several picks that were for not in the last two months. That experience is missing without him. Look at how the Bears missed some key plays on defense yesterday with Urlacher out.
3) He still has good hands. Not too many that he can catch does he drop. QBs will still want to account for him.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mentioned this in a thread a few weeks ago, I do not think we should mess with this D other than Shields and Matthews coming back. The secondary especially is looking GOOD. If you have a hot hand you role with it and this secondary is HOT if they stumble yes start playing him more but I would like to see Mcmillian and Jennings more than Woodson this week.

Although with Jay being Jay maybe Woodson should play more just for this week haha.

First let me say that Woodson is one of my favorite players of all the Packers and I respect him above pretty much everybody. This is why it pains me to have to agree with this post. Very much like the O-Line, I wouldn't mess with the D all that much other than Matthews who we need for pass rush. I think Woodson should play but the fact is the guys we have in there now are getting the job done. I think that once you are this far into the season and you have a system that is working, messing with it would be foolish. I'm not saying bench Woodson, I can't bring myself to ever say that because a healthy Woodson is an asset to this team but I think McMillian and Jennings need to maintain their roles.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easy peezy. He'll be starting at safety.

I mean really, guys, you're gonna want Jennings or McMillan out there instead of Charles F*cking Woodson? For a playoff run? You can talk about options, possibilities, money for next season, but for a playoff run there is zero doubt he should be on the field, or will be on the field, when healthy.

This post has got more agrees than any I can remember. Why? because it is dead on. :tup:

H

HardRightEdge

Did I say he stays on bench??

I am not sure if they put him back at corner now or is moved..

Woodson's days on the island ended last year. Hayward will continue to see a fair number of snaps at nickel. Woodson will take a lot of snaps, probably more safety and less nickel than before, but Woodson will still see some snaps in the box providing the shoulder is close to 100%.

Having Shields and Hayward playing at a high level and House for dime, the opportunities to move Woodson around for some organized chaos are as relevant as ever.

One can talk about a lost step or more missed tackled than you'd like to see, but when playoff time comes you want your vet gamers and prime time playmakers on the field.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Woodson is healthy does he get thrown back at his position and start? I'm not sure of his spot at this point on the D.

That's the scary part. Heyward, Shields and Williams are playing extremely well. Woodson is one of the greatest defensive backs to ever play football, but there doesn't seem to be a clear spot for him right now.

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, but doesn't mean he sees all of it it. You think Michael Vick is going to see all of his contract with the eagles?

Vick got a 6 year, $100 mil deal, but it was structured with outs.

The signing bonus was only $7 mil, so if they cut Vick it would cost them a $4.5 mil 2013 cap hit in un-prorated signing bonus + $3 mil in guaranteed cash money also charged against the 2013. If they keep him, it looks like $15.5 mil cash and $16.7 cap hit in 2013. If they're not going to start him, they will not keep him.

From rotoworld.com:

8/29/2011: [Vick] signed a six-year, $100 million contract. The deal contains $32.5 million guaranteed, including a $7 million signing bonus and all of Vick's first- and second-year base salaries and $3 million of his 2013 salary (for injury only). The sixth year voids if Vick participates in 35% of the Eagles' offensive snaps in any of the first five seasons, making the contract more realistically worth $80 million over five years. Another $3 million is available through incentives based on Super Bowl wins in 2011 and 2012, and playing time (77.5% of the regular season snaps). 2012: $12.5 million, 2013: $15.5 million, 2014: $12.5 million (+ $3 million roster bonus), 2015: $14.5 million (+ $2 million roster bonus), 2016: $20 million (Dummy Year), 2017: Free Agent

Woodson is due $10 mil per year for 2013 and 2014, including off-season and per-game roster bonuses...all cash and cap hit. An interesting topic of conversation, but not something that comes into play for a 2012 playoff run.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson's days on the island ended last year. Hayward will continue to see a fair number of snaps at nickel. Woodson will take a lot of snaps, probably more safety and less nickel than before, but Woodson will still see some snaps in the box providing the shoulder is close to 100%.

Having Shields and Hayward playing at a high level and House for dime, the opportunities to move Woodson around for some organized chaos are as relevant as ever.

One can talk about a lost step or more missed tackled than you'd like to see, but when playoff time comes you want your vet gamers and prime time playmakers on the field.

This is what I'm really looking forward to. No one on the packers D plays isolated in one spot for the entire game so he could honestly see time at multiple positions.
Every week the packers are going to come into the game with more matchups they can exploit with Woodson on the field than with either of the young safeties and so we can really see what Dom Capers has left floating around that head of his. I think having Matthews out for extended time was the worst thing that could happen but coupling that with Woodson, their only other true elite play maker, at the same time has forced the packers to be incredibly bland on that side of the ball. I expect Woodson's impact to be seen most in pass rush and in the run game.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a 6 year, $100 mil deal, but it was structured with outs.

The signing bonus was only $7 mil, so if they cut Vick it would cost them a $4.5 mil 2013 cap hit in un-prorated signing bonus + $3 mil in guaranteed cash money also charged against the 2013. If they keep him, it looks like $15.5 mil cash and $16.7 cap hit in 2013. If they're not going to start him, they will not keep him.

From rotoworld.com:

8/29/2011: Signed a six-year, $100 million contract. The deal contains $32.5 million guaranteed, including a $7 million signing bonus and all of Vick's first- and second-year base salaries and $3 million of his 2013 salary (for injury only). The sixth year voids if Vick participates in 35% of the Eagles' offensive snaps in any of the first five seasons, making the contract more realistically worth $80 million over five years. Another $3 million is available through incentives based on Super Bowl wins in 2011 and 2012, and playing time (77.5% of the regular season snaps). 2012: $12.5 million, 2013: $15.5 million, 2014: $12.5 million (+ $3 million roster bonus), 2015: $14.5 million (+ $2 million roster bonus), 2016: $20 million (Dummy Year), 2017: Free Agent

That was rhetorical

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the answer is in matching up with TEs and pass rushing. His role has changed as the need for certain talents has.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Yeah, but doesn't mean he sees all of it it. You think Michael Vick is going to see all of his contract with the eagles?
Vick had a severance clause where if they cut him within a certain time period they owe him ziltch.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vick had a severance clause where if they cut him within a certain time period they owe him ziltch.

Nfl contracts are not guaranteed is what I was getting at. I think people missed that point and seemed to fixate on the individual when I was getting at the broad point.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
NFL contracts are notguaranteed is what I was getting at. I think people missed that point and seemed to fixate on the individual when I was getting at the broad point.
Fixed: "NFL contracts are not [FULLY] guaranteed." Most contracts have some amount of guaranteed money though. Cap penalty can be fairly consistent.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fixed. Most contracts have some amount of guaranteed money though. Cap penalty can be fairly consistent.
Don't ever quote me and change what I said.

You can get your point across without attempting to change what I said. It's bush league, petty, and very childish.

Yes most contracts do, and a contract in the NFL is by no means a promise you will have your job for the duration of the contract. You should know that.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Don't ever quote me and change what I said.

You can get your point across without attempting to change what I said. It's bush league, petty, and very childish.

Yes most contracts do, and a contract in the NFL is by no means a promise you will have your job for the duration of the contract. You should know that.
I bolded to show the change, but in order to avoid further conflict I will simply requote under the reply from now on and use the official brackets

It will however guarantee you will get your money (at least what is guaranteed)

Reaction score
Tramon/Casey/Shields have been near lockdown coverage guys this year - McMillian and Morgan have been alright at safety - we haven't given up anything deep (as often) this year compared to last.
I like Woodson - maybe ... swap out AJ For Woodson in passing situations - let Woodson hover near the box - idk.
I like the young guys alot, but I suppose Woodson can fit in somewhere. :confused:
* This is tough, but a great situation to have - "Do we bench a HOF DB in favor of talented young guys?" - we're loaded in the secondary - just need our front seven to kick butt.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why it pains me to have to agree with this post.
We all struggle with our favorite players getting old. Every war horse heads to the grave or the pasture at some point. I'm not saying Woodson is an old war horse yet, but he's well on his way. I hope that he gets another ring this year though

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
First let me say that Woodson is one of my favorite players of all the Packers and I respect him above pretty much everybody. This is why it pains me to have to agree with this post. Very much like the O-Line, I wouldn't mess with the D all that much other than Matthews who we need for pass rush. I think Woodson should play but the fact is the guys we have in there now are getting the job done. I think that once you are this far into the season and you have a system that is working, messing with it would be foolish. I'm not saying bench Woodson, I can't bring myself to ever say that because a healthy Woodson is an asset to this team but I think McMillian and Jennings need to maintain their roles.
Don't sweat it Kitten. I'll take the lead and tell you that Woodson will be back with a vengeance and he will show you why you have to be careful when determining old/new in this game. Those young pups deserve recognition and playing time but you can't begin to put them in the same league as a crafty vet like Woodson.
Messing with the D=backs has more to do with inexperience. CWood isn't some rook who will mess with the continuity of the backfield, he'd only add to it. I think you're foolish if you can't see how he'd wake up the backfield and I'd think Dom Capers brain-dead to not use him once he's available. But I could be wrong. That is just my strong observed opinion. He may be getting old but guys like him aren't often available. It would be stupid of any team not to take advantage of his abilities.
We'll see this week against Chicago right? If he's ready to go I bet a buck the coaches and the staff feel as strongly about it as I do and we see a healthy dose of Wood!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Woodson is an upgrade over Mcmillan and Jennings. It's not only defending the pass but also the confusion and being able to move all over the field ability.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sheer ability shown by the secondary without Woodson should only make every get that much more excited to see Woodson come back...the skill of all the other players is going to allow Woodson to play like a wildcard more than ever before. That is a value you can't really put a price tag on...priceless!

Members online

Latest posts