Where does Thompson rank as far as GMs go?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Once again you do not release good to great players no matter how much they cost if you don't have equal or greater production to replace it with..
Huge flaw in your argument IMO. That's a prescription for salary cap hell, particularly in a series of years in which the cap is relatively flat.
My argument isn't as flawed as you may perceive it to be..
Isn't this an admission your argument is somewhat flawed? ;)

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Jenkins was not a game changer by that definition. But Philly did not pay him game changer money: 5 years/$25 million without much guaranteed money. One cannot help but think personality conflicts played a part in his departure.

Certainly possible. It's also possible they were pissed that Jenkins hurt himself in pre-game warmups kicking field goals. Pure speculation.

TT made a two-pronged mistake...signing Hawk to his deal precluded paying Jenkins.

I'm not so certain about the choice there, but I'm not a fan of Hawk's deal, never was.

Here's a takeaway: Jenkins was more valuable to the team in 2010 than Raji in 2011 or 2012. So what is Raji really worth, relative youth notwithstanding? Less than the numbers the press has been fond of batting around.

I don't flatly agree with that statement. Jenkins had more obvious impact (sacks) but didn't Raji play more snaps? Miss fewer games? And you cannot ignore youth, it's probably the biggest asset players have. Plus nose tackle is funny due to the shortage of bodies that can pull it off. It's not such a simple apples-to-apples.

H

HardRightEdge

And he's costing the Niners $6 Million this year.

So yes, I hope Ted keeps sitting on his hands.

Given the choice between Boldin at $6 mil and Jennings at $12 mil, I'd take the former. Not that Jennings will get what he's asking.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't flatly agree with that statement. Jenkins had more obvious impact (sacks) but didn't Raji play more snaps? Miss fewer games? And you cannot ignore youth, it's probably the biggest asset players have. Plus nose tackle is funny due to the shortage of bodies that can pull it off. It's not such a simple apples-to-apples.

Jenkins was key during the run in 2010, and the run is really all that mattered...up to week 16 we were not a playoff team.

My comment about Raji was not to compare the performance of the two players per se. The point is if we're not going to pay Jenkins $5 mil per year with light guarantees, why would we pay Raji $10 mil per year, as is glibly tossed out in the press, following 2 years of mediocre performance? A lot of mediocre snaps played with youthful indifference should not earn the big second contract. I predict he will not be extended before year end; he'll have to play for his 2014 contract.

The so-called scarcity of nose tackles is an interesting topic. There are quite a few who could play the position among the top 60 players in this draft. However, the closest you get to a prototype 3-4 DE among the top 60 are Datone Jones (who will be off the board at #26 given the scarcity) and Margus Hunt who is too old and raw to spend the #26 on, but won't be around for our 2nd. round pick. (DTs/NTs posing as 3-4 DEs on the strong side don't count in this discussion.) In fact, there has not been a strong 3-4 DE class since 2011, and there was a drop off after the top 5 who were taken in front of us that year.

TT is not talking to Canty just because of some old man-crush. Sign Canty to fill a spot where we have neither a particularly worthy incumbent nor solid draft possibilities, just as we signed Saturday last season under similar circumstances. Then draft a NT/strong side DE-type in the 1st. or 2nd. round. Best case, the draftee will be Pickett's replacement; worst case he'll be Raji's.

Surveying the landscape, I think TT will make a competitive offer to Canty assuming his health is believed to be clean. Trgovac has admitted our DEs have lacked "reach". There's a lot packed in that little word. And there are not many other options other than sticking with Neal.

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
It does make me a little upset that every free agency there a ball players out there and the Packers seem to be in neutral... I know TT knows his stuff and he is probably going to stick to his guns since we won a SB with 16 on IR and "others" filling roles that brought us a title...but right now I see us needing help and I dont think the draft is going to provide that assistance... DONT WASTE THE RODGERS YEARS!!!! LETS GET IT DONE NOW!!!

The_Virus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know where you draw this conclusion from, but it's not backed up by facts. I don't know what you consider great, but let's just use Ron Wolf as an example. TT has drafted better than Wolf in all of the first four rounds, but Wolf drafted slightly better in the 5th and 6th rounds. Here is a quick example. In the first round here are the picks:

Wolf's 1st Round Successes:
Wayne Simmons
George Teague
Aaron Taylor
Craig Newsom
Ross Verba
Vonnie Holiday
Bubba Franks

Wolf's 1st Round Busts:
Terrell Buckley
John Michels
Antoine Edwards
Jamal Reynolds

Thompson's 1st Round Successes:*
Aaron Rodgers
AJ Hawk
BJ Raji
Clay Mathews
Bryan Bulaga

Thompson's 1st Round Busts:*
Justin Harrell

* It isn't prudent to include the last two drafts, as because there is not enough evidence to support a conclusion either way.

Wolf's 1st Round Success Rate = 64% (7/11)
Thompson's 1st Round Success Rate = 83% (5/6)

Wolf's 2nd Round Successes:
Darren Sharper - DB
Mike Wahle - OL
Chad Clifton - OL
Robert Ferguson - WR (debatable)

Wolf's 2nd Round Busts:
Mark D'Onofrio - LB
Derrick Mayes - WR
Fred Vinson - CB

Thompson's 2nd Round Successes:
Nick Collins - S
Daryn Colledge - OL
Greg Jennings - WR
Brandon Jackson - RB
Jordy Nelson - WR

Thompson's 2nd Round Busts:
Terrence Murphy - WR
Brian Brohn - QB
Pat Lee - CB

2010 pick Mike Neal excluded, due to multiple injuries. Would have been considered a bust but finally started to contribute in 2013. Status unknown. Surely you could include Randall Cobb at this point, but I'm holding the line on including anyone from the previous two drafts.

Wolf's 1st Round Success Rate = 57% (4/7)
Thompson's 1st Round Success Rate = 75% (6/8)

I admit that the rating of a "success" or "bust" is subjective but in general are on target. You'll never please everyone, but I generally go with whether a player was a solid contributor to the team, regardless of draft position. I view it as you get seven picks in each draft and the goal is to draft 7 contributors. You will spend the same amount of money no matter which picks perform and don't perform (draft position), so the goal is quantity of successes.[/quot

Id put Colledge as a bust

H

HardRightEdge

It's as if he was reading this very forum:

"@Albert Breer: In fact, look at the last 10 SB champions. I can't think of one integral player on any of them who was acquired at the top of the FA market."

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/311310059785314304

I can think of one. Charles Woodson. Whatever you might think of his last couple of years in Oakland, we paid him top dollar in FA.

This is a particularly odd line of thought for Packer fans when you consider Woodson and Reggie White.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
AHEM. If you are unhappy with our free agency policy, feel free to jump ship for the Redskins. They'll sign anybody and everybody, you won't see the playoffs, but you can get excited about your new big names. Here's your hall of shame:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1102237-the-50-worst-free-agent-signings-in-nfl-history/

Does TT have areas he can improve? Who doesn't? Can you honestly say that He isn't a Top 3 - Top 10 GM? Can you name anybody we could hire right now who would be better? If you can you're: A. In denial, B. Lying, C. Bitter, or D. Sadly mistaken.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins was key during the run in 2010, and the run is really all that mattered...up to week 16 we were not a playoff team.

My comment about Raji was not to compare the performance of the two players per se. The point is if we're not going to pay Jenkins $5 mil per year with light guarantees, why would we pay Raji $10 mil per year, as is glibly tossed out in the press, following 2 years of mediocre performance? A lot of mediocre snaps played with youthful indifference should not earn the big second contract. I predict he will not be extended before year end; he'll have to play for his 2014 contract.

The so-called scarcity of nose tackles is an interesting topic. There are quite a few who could play the position among the top 60 players in this draft. However, the closest you get to a prototype 3-4 DE among the top 60 are Datone Jones (who will be off the board at #26 given the scarcity) and Margus Hunt who is too old and raw to spend the #26 on, but won't be around for our 2nd. round pick. (DTs/NTs posing as 3-4 DEs on the strong side don't count in this discussion.) In fact, there has not been a strong 3-4 DE class since 2011, and there was a drop off after the top 5 who were taken in front of us that year.

TT is not talking to Canty just because of some old man-crush. Sign Canty to fill a spot where we have neither a particularly worthy incumbent nor solid draft possibilities, just as we signed Saturday last season under similar circumstances. Then draft a NT/strong side DE-type in the 1st. or 2nd. round. Best case, the draftee will be Pickett's replacement; worst case he'll be Raji's.

Surveying the landscape, I think TT will make a competitive offer to Canty assuming his health is believed to be clean. Trgovac has admitted our DEs have lacked "reach". There's a lot packed in that little word. And there are not many other options other than sticking with Neal.

Agree with your post. I'd just add regarding Saturday that Thompson can't afford to wait long to sign Canty. If he does he will end up with a Saturday type at DE. He can't be as reticent to pull the trigger has he has in past situations.

Members online

Latest posts