Where Does Rodgers Rank In Packers History?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The what do you think when you hear... thread inspired me to ask, as of right now where do you rank Aaron Rodgers in Packers history? Im not asking as a QB, but all players included.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh my, it's a bit hard to rank him currently, I feel his career has only begun. Keep in mind that this ranking will likely advance for by the time Aaron has played his last snap. I'm going to rank him 9th. CURRENTLY! This is a question I usually ask myself once a player has retired and I can assess his entire career into his ranking. I don't even want to think about Aaron retiring right now. He's got more SB wins ahead of him! Bart Star, Reggie White, rank high... and yes, we have to put Favre on there somewhere whether we like it or not. But I fully believe by the time he is done, Aaron Rodgers will be ahead of Brett Favre in the Packers all time rankings.

Where the heck is that all time best Packers thread that somebody started! I need that list to factor Aaron in!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
As Kitten said it is a little early to be looking at all time. Lynn ****ey was good his 1st three years as was John Brockington and Chester Marcol. Do you rate a QB higher because of the position? He sat three years. Do you average his stats over those three years also? If his concussions mount and take a career fatal toll, do you project his stats to an average career length? As of now, he's been a three year sensation. I would have him in the top two dozen at the moment but am willing to listen to the debate. I'd rather see the rest of his career before then though.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is much too early to rank him, but I think he has the ability to rank very, very high when all it said and done. However, Favre and Starr are two players right off the top of my head that he has to compete with directly, and those are some mighty big shoes to fill but to be completely honest, I think he can surpass them both and then some by the time he calls it quits.

maccadon3000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, right off the bat, you have in no particular order: Don Hutson, Bart Starr, Nitschke, Bert Farve, Reggie White. Those guys are all ahead of ARod right now, no questions asked. Then you have your second group of guys who include Hornung, Sterling, even Donald Driver and Charles Woodson. I would put Rodgers in that second group right now. He has to do what he's been doing for at least 5 more years to get into that first group, in my opinion, which will happen barring injury.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I'd have to put all the Packers that are in Canton ahead of him for starters. We only have three years of productivity to measure against HOF careers as well as long, very distinguished careers of several others (LeRoy Butler, Dave Robinson, etc.). At this point I'd rank him maybe 28th or 29th.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont really understand the responses that say its too early. You are just basing it off of what he has done so far, not what you think he will do. Even his incomplete career should be able to compare to some full careers. Is his career better than lets say leroy butler? I would say so, he lead the Packers to a SB and was MVP. Better than Reggie? No. Too big of a career.

For him to be better than Starr he would have to equal his titles. Not happening.

maccadon3000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont really understand the responses that say its too early. You are just basing it off of what he has done so far, not what you think he will do. Even his incomplete career should be able to compare to some full careers. Is his career better than lets say leroy butler? I would say so, he lead the Packers to a SB and was MVP. Better than Reggie? No. Too big of a career.

For him to be better than Starr he would have to equal his titles. Not happening.

First off, NEVER say he won't equal Bart's title numbers! ;) as far as saying it's too early, I would say he's had incredible success in his short carreer, and is on his way to possibly being the greatest to ever put on the green and gold, if he keeps it up and wins a couple more titles. That being said, like someone said, he could have concussion problems, also, God forbid, and have his brilliant carreer cut way short. In that case he could become a more successful version of Sterling or a Terrell Davis. It's just really hard to put him right near the top after only three years when you have so many players that had very long productive careers for the franchise. Just an opinion though.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But think about it this way: Some people feel LeRoy Butler is a borderline HOF'er (4 Pro Bowls, 4X All-Pro, named to NFL 1990s All-Decade team, etc.). If Rodgers stopped playing right now, would he be a borderline HOFer? Nope. Packers HOF yes, Canton, no.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But think about it this way: Some people feel LeRoy Butler is a borderline HOF'er (4 Pro Bowls, 4X All-Pro, named to NFL 1990s All-Decade team, etc.). If Rodgers stopped playing right now, would he be a borderline HOFer? Nope. Packers HOF yes, Canton, no.

I would have no problem saying Sterling Sharpe was a better player than Butler, and I think I hear more clamor for Butler in the HOF than Sharpe.

At least he wont have a greg cook career (google him kids)

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have no problem saying Sterling Sharpe was a better player than Butler, and I think I hear more clamor for Butler in the HOF than Sharpe.

At least he wont have a greg cook career (google him kids)
We'll have to talk about this when you stop by this week...

maccadon3000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a heads up, NFL Network is having an hour long program at 10 ET tonight that is their 10 greatest Packers of all time. Can't wait!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I tried making a list of top 10. Too hard. IMHO Rodgers and Woodson already figure to be among the top 10 Packers of all time, but I don't know how that list would look. I would put Rodgers ahead of HOF like Herber, Blood McNally, Willie Wood, Henry Jordan... Would probably place him right after guys like Willie Davis and Gregg, but before guys like White and Kramer.

And yes, Favre is still much more relevant to the history of the Packers than Rodgers. Favre is #3 the list IMHO behind Starr and Hutson.

Valhalla Express

SKOL VIKINGS!
Reaction score
Rodgers is a good quarterback, but he needs another six seasons under his "championship" belt to be truly ranked. Just like Adrian Peterson still needs a longer resume to be considered one of the best runningbacks. Be great doesn't just come with talent, it also comes with time. Personally, as a Vikings fan, I enjoy watching Rodgers play. I can respect the football player and the team regardless of what colors they wear (unless they are Cowboys lol).

~Val

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Some might include players from the early early years, and some may not

I think he is top 20 right now...Now if they win another SB this year then he has to move up to the top ten

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is a good quarterback, but he needs another six seasons under his "championship" belt to be truly ranked. Just like Adrian Peterson still needs a longer resume to be considered one of the best runningbacks. Be great doesn't just come with talent, it also comes with time. Personally, as a Vikings fan, I enjoy watching Rodgers play. I can respect the football player and the team regardless of what colors they wear (unless they are Cowboys lol).

~Val
Wouldn't you put Peterson, right now, as the best back the Vikings have ever had? I would certainly do so. To me, Peterson already is one of the best backs to ever play the game, would place him with the likes of OJ, Campbell, ****erson and Faulk. Still a while to reach Sanders, Payton and Brown territory, but IMHO his talent is on par with those guys.

I think some guys, the production and talent they show, even if it's a short period, already merits them to enter that conversation. I think Sterling was one of those guys, and Peterson and Rodgers are in there.

Guys that, during a period when they played, there was no question that they were one of the best at their positions.

vancouverpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The what do you think when you hear... thread inspired me to ask, as of right now where do you rank Aaron Rodgers in Packers history? Im not asking as a QB, but all players included.
It's rather early to start comparing. Looking at his first few years as a starter he is turning into one scary dude!! I think we have only scratched the surface as to his talent level. It will be a lot of fun to watch his progress and ultimately how good he really will become...

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of what I am reading here in projection and speculation based on what would occur if Rodgers keeps playing at the pace he is playing currently or if he improves. Predictions are often based on the likely outcome of maintaining a current course, unless that course is altered in some way. If he maintains, I have no doubt in my mind Rodgers will factor a top 10 all time once all is said and done. You also have to figure that any number of players on this current team will likely rank a top 20. I think Woodson is already there. You also have Driver and Matthews is going to rank up there in his turn. Again, I stress a lot of this is conditional and sadly, could change (with the exception of Woodson).

Now for what Ivo was driving at. Where would we rank him right now, not a future projection. I think Helmets had the right of it with 17th, but I'm going to say 18th or 19th for now. Even that is a bit high, to be honest. He has some catching up to do with all the players that are already on the list: Reggie, Hutson, Starr, Nitschki, Butler, Hornung, Blood, Woodson (?) and yes, Voldermort is on there too.

My (early) prediction by the time all is said and done, remains 9th. Maybe higher, I got high hopes!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
can he pass brett?

In terms of stats and records? Hard to tell. A lot of Favre's stats and records exist because of longevity. Anybody who is in the league that long is going to start to break records at some point. Favre put up a lot of them. Number of consecutive starts? I don't think anybody is going to be breaking that one anytime soon. SB wins? I think he's got a good shot at breaking that. Passing yards? Yes. MVPs? Yes.

It depends, like all these lists, on how you configure the rankings. I think there is a good chance he could pass Favre, but the person he should really have his sights set on is Bart Starr. But Favre and Starr are not the only ones to pass. The list you are talking about includes all players, not just QBs. Do you think he can pass Reggie White on the all time rankings?

Edit: Check out this thread for all time top 10.

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/nfln-top-10-packers.29825/

Members online

Latest posts