where does our WR corp rank?

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm NOT sold on Boykin as some of you are, he has shown nothing that special as of yet and should have if he would be turning into something special (like cobb showed us). I am banking on one of our rookies to emerge and show some skillzzzz.

I don't know that Boykin will ever be considered a special player but I think he's pretty much proved he's a legit NFL WR. The guy only really played 12 games this year and only 4 with Rodgers. Despite that he reached almost 700 yards as a 2nd year player. 33 WRs got drafted in 2012 and only 8 from that class had more yards than him this season but people still seem skeptical of him. I think the perception of him would be a lot different if he was a 4th or 5th round pick or something.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what everyone on here is saying about jordy they said about jennings 3-4 years ago on here.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know that Boykin will ever be considered a special player but I think he's pretty much proved he's a legit NFL WR. The guy only really played 12 games this year and only 4 with Rodgers. Despite that he reached almost 700 yards as a 2nd year player. 33 WRs got drafted in 2012 and only 8 from that class had more yards than him this season but people still seem skeptical of him. I think the perception of him would be a lot different if he was a 4th or 5th round pick or something.

Boykin is a solid #3 WR but he won´t ever be anything more than that. I think Adams has more upside than him and I expect him to challenge Boykin for the spot in camp.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Five teams had more rushing than passing attempts last season, with three of them being really succesful (Seattle, San Francisco, Carolina).

Sorry WIMM, but carolina CLEARLY got by on that defense. Their RB's have gotten old and used and abused. Scam newton was not the QB he was his first couple years either.....he looked waaaaayyy off last season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sorry WIMM, but carolina CLEARLY got by on that defense. Their RB's have gotten old and used and abused. Scam newton was not the QB he was his first couple years either.....he looked waaaaayyy off last season.

I´m not denying that the defense was responsible for the Panthers success. You can say that about the Niners and Seahawks as well. My point was though that not every team in the league mostly relies on passing the football to win games.

D

Deleted member 6794

You are correct, not every team.....but most teams do throw a lot more than they run

Agreed. On average teams threw to ball on 56.7% of the plays during last season, but if you take a closer look at the teams with the highest percentage of passing plays they weren´t very succesful. Of the seven teams that had a percentage over 60% of passing attempts only one (New Orleans) made the playoffs.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm more interested in where the team ranks, and Vegas--the experts in such things--have us in the top 3 in the NFC. Now, all we have to do is win. My "14 World Championships" tshirts are waiting.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. On average teams threw to ball on 56.7% of the plays during last season, but if you take a closer look at the teams with the highest percentage of passing plays they weren´t very succesful. Of the seven teams that had a percentage over 60% of passing attempts only one (New Orleans) made the playoffs.
Has a lot to do with game situations. Teams that are ahead will look to run the ball and burn more clock up as opposed to teams passing to play catch up. I'm sure not many teams wanted to pass that much.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before I clicked on this thread, I read the thread title and thought to myself...."We're above average but not elite anymore." The article didn't change that opinion. Nelson is somewhere between an elite #1 and #2 WR. Cobb has the ability to also be a very good WR, but we don't have a Jennings or Robert Brooks anymore that can really dominate. What we do have is a stellar QB that can take a handful of very good #2's and distribute the ball well enough to compensate. I'm not even sure that a really good TE still makes the difference in today's NFL. You just need to create plays that put guys in the right spot, guys that can get there and be open, and a QB that can get the ball to any of them.

As said already, we've got too many young guys to be even considered in the elite WR category. At the end of this season it could be a different story, but there are likely 25-some teams in the NFL whose fans are thinking the same way.

Yes he does hold his own, and he might have notched several more TDs and several hundred more yards had Rodgers not gone down last year. Up until Aaron's injury Nelson was on pace to notch 14 touchdowns or more last season. He was also on course to pull in 95+ receptions and 1600+ yards. If that's not elite production I don't know what is.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before I clicked on this thread, I read the thread title and thought to myself...."We're above average but not elite anymore." The article didn't change that opinion. Nelson is somewhere between an elite #1 and #2 WR. Cobb has the ability to also be a very good WR, but we don't have a Jennings or Robert Brooks anymore that can really dominate. What we do have is a stellar QB that can take a handful of very good #2's and distribute the ball well enough to compensate. I'm not even sure that a really good TE still makes the difference in today's NFL. You just need to create plays that put guys in the right spot, guys that can get there and be open, and a QB that can get the ball to any of them.

As said already, we've got too many young guys to be even considered in the elite WR category. At the end of this season it could be a different story, but there are likely 25-some teams in the NFL whose fans are thinking the same way.

Yes he does hold his own, and he might have notched several more TDs and several hundred more yards had Rodgers not gone down last year. Up until Aaron's injury Nelson was on pace to notch 14 touchdowns or more last season. He was also on course to pull in 98 receptions and 1620 yards. If that's not elite production I don't know what is.

D

Deleted member 6794

Has a lot to do with game situations. Teams that are ahead will look to run the ball and burn more clock up as opposed to teams passing to play catch up. I'm sure not many teams wanted to pass that much.

Well, this is a popular opinion. The fact is though that teams threw the ball 56.7% (exactly the same percentage as over the entire game) in the first half last season when the score doesn't dictate the play calling as much.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Five teams had more rushing than passing attempts last season, with three of them being really succesful (Seattle, San Francisco, Carolina).

Ok, you got me WIMM. I stand corrected as only 27 of 32 teams are pass first. Carolina does it out of necessity as they have scrap metal for receivers. I will give you the other 2 and yes, they are very successful. I would be willing to bet that come years end the 9ers will be more pass oriented as they didn't add Stevie Johnson for run blocking. Seattle also added some receiver help. There is always an exception to the rule and I will be the first to admit that these 2 exceptions are very impressive. I think coaches would run more often but with the rules the way they are you would be a fool not to throw! You can't touch QB's and if you breathe too ******* a receiver the chains are getting moved more times than not. I am very interested to see how close to a 50/50 split our team will be this year. Lacy and Co. should be even better this year and a run game does so much for you be it eating clock, setting up PA or my personal favorite, crushing your opponents will! Bottom line is you bring up a good point but the fact still remains that today's NFL revolves around the passing game. Thank the Good Lord Above we have 12 and the fact we have Lacy and the boys is just icing on the cake IMO!

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what everyone on here is saying about jordy they said about jennings 3-4 years ago on here.

What's the point of this statement? Just wondering, not trying to be rude. Jennings (in his prime) was averaging around 1,400 yards and close to double digit TD's per season. That is elite production and should be recognized as such. Again, not sure what the point of the statement was so I thought I'd ask...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Was it because that was their strength or that they had big leads and were running the clock out???

splits when in the lead and when trailing

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2013_splits.htm

When leading the Panthers had 279 rushing atts and 202 passing atts

trailing 127 rushing 189 pass
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/2013_splits.htm

Seahawks leading - 332 rushing att 227 passing att

trailing 103 rushing, 117 pass
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2013_splits.htm

Frisco leading 336 rushing, 245 passing

Trailing 90 rushing, 107 pass

go even further, there are splits for when trailing and leading with 4 mins to go and it reflects the same..

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's the point of this statement? Just wondering, not trying to be rude. Jennings (in his prime) was averaging around 1,400 yards and close to double digit TD's per season. That is elite production and should be recognized as such. Again, not sure what the point of the statement was so I thought I'd ask...

You got statements like "I wouldn't trade him for any player in the league." About Jennings.

They had packer glasses on and years later the statements didn't hold up to their original love fest.

Nelson is an incredible player but I'm not going to say elite like Calvin Johnson.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we have atleast top 10 WR core. If one of our TE blossoms into a beast top 5 easy.

We got the pieces in place.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You got statements like "I wouldn't trade him for any player in the league." About Jennings.

They had packer glasses on and years later the statements didn't hold up to their original love fest.

Nelson is an incredible player but I'm not going to say elite like Calvin Johnson.

There is a difference between elite and all-time talent. Jordy is part of the elite group of current players. Calvin has a chance to be in the conversation for top 2-5 all-time WRs. I have been trying to compare JN to other players that many deem "elite". His numbers are right there stride for stride with most of them. Again, Megatron is in a class all his own so putting any current player in a comparison with him is treading water.

I can't speak on 85 as I wasn't on this forum when everything went down. I would think that any and all hatred or disrespect of Jennings stems from him being hurt most of his final season in Green and Gold and that he signed with one of our biggest rivals. When you lose a guy to a rival you can always expect the "he wasn't that good" and "at least we had him in his prime" drivel. It comes with the territory although I try to stay out of that nonsense. I loved 85 when he was here and now I hope he sucks air as he is with the enemy. Perspective I guess...

D

Deleted member 6794

Was it because that was their strength or that they had big leads and were running the clock out???

splits when in the lead and when trailing

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2013_splits.htm

When leading the Panthers had 279 rushing atts and 202 passing atts

trailing 127 rushing 189 pass
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/2013_splits.htm

Seahawks leading - 332 rushing att 227 passing att

trailing 103 rushing, 117 pass
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2013_splits.htm

Frisco leading 336 rushing, 245 passing

Trailing 90 rushing, 107 pass

go even further, there are splits for when trailing and leading with 4 mins to go and it reflects the same..

It is pretty obvious teams will throw the ball more often when trailing, especially in the second half.

There's nearly no different approach in the first half (39.9% rushing when trailing, 41.6% overall) while it's drastic in the second it is in the second (29.7% to 41.5%).

So while the score dramatically influences the way teams play in the second half you can see more of what they really want to do in the first.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It is pretty obvious teams will throw the ball more often when trailing, especially in the second half.

There's nearly no different approach in the first half (39.9% rushing when trailing, 41.6% overall) while it's drastic in the second it is in the second (29.7% to 41.5%).

So while the score dramatically influences the way teams play in the second half you can see more of what they really want to do in the first.

Where are your % coming from

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Boykin is a solid #3 WR but he won´t ever be anything more than that. I think Adams has more upside than him and I expect him to challenge Boykin for the spot in camp.
Imo, Boykin will quickly become a more reliable version of James Jones. Adams probably does have more upside than Boykin long term, but Boykin is a very intuitive and skilled WR for his level of experience. I'm hoping that Adams or Abbrederis or Harper can adequately fill 4th and 5th role.

I'm expecting improved play from Quarless and I think Bostick is on the verge of having his breakout year and will present terrible matchup problems for opposing defenses. Hopefully, barring bad injuries to the position, the rookie/s can provide ST help while they learn how to be professional football players. I expect Taylor to beat out Stone burner since he can also play FB. This is all under the assumption that Finley will not be back.

I think under this scenario that we certainly have a top 10 receiving corps.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Imo, Boykin will quickly become a more reliable version of James Jones. Adams probably does have more upside than Boykin long term, but Boykin is a very intuitive and skilled WR for his level of experience. I'm hoping that Adams or Abbrederis or Harper can adequately fill 4th and 5th role.

I'm expecting improved play from Quarless and I think Bostick is on the verge of having his breakout year and will present terrible matchup problems for opposing defenses. Hopefully, barring bad injuries to the position, the rookie/s can provide ST help while they learn how to be professional football players. I expect Taylor to beat out Stone burner since he can also play FB. This is all under the assumption that Finley will not be back.

I think under this scenario that we certainly have top 10 Receing corps.

Rookie WRs have a hard time making an immediate impact, so I expect Boykin to hold on to the #3 WR spot for another season. But I think Adams will pass him on the depth chart in the long term, otherwise he would be a major disappointment.

I hope neither Quarless nor Bostick will be the starter at TE, Taylor most likely won´t even make the team.

Members online

Latest posts