where does our WR corp rank?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
saw this list, http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...lead-the-way?campaign=Facebook_writers_brooks

and it got me thinking about where we stand in the league now. Also it seems more teams have put an emphasis on rounding out their roster than they used as far as the wr position goes.

Are we a top 5 wr corps?

In my opinion with 2 rookies out of the 5, no. In 2 years we might be the top though.
Interesting article. Not sure I would have listed Washington at #1, but they do have good receivers.

As for the Packers, they need an elite TE to make this list and they don't have one, or hopefully one will emerge. That said, Rodgers is good enough to make every receiver he targets a notch or two higher. So IF quarterbacks were included, then I think we have a top five receiving group, maybe #1.

D

Deleted member 6794

saw this list, http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...lead-the-way?campaign=Facebook_writers_brooks

and it got me thinking about where we stand in the league now. Also it seems more teams have put an emphasis on rounding out their roster than they used as far as the wr position goes.

Are we a top 5 wr corps?

In my opinion with 2 rookies out of the 5, no. In 2 years we might be the top though.

As of right now we don´t have one of the top 5 receiving corps in the league. I agree with you though that it´s possible we´ll have the top group with the next two years if Adams and someone at TE step up.

With Rodgers and Lacy the Packers don´t have to have one of the best receiving corps in the league though. Take a look at what they were able to do to the Vikings last season. They were able to score on every single position (aside of kneeling down at the end of both halves) while playing with Nelson, Boykin, White and Quarless.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before I clicked on this thread, I read the thread title and thought to myself...."We're above average but not elite anymore." The article didn't change that opinion. Nelson is somewhere between an elite #1 and #2 WR. Cobb has the ability to also be a very good WR, but we don't have a Jennings or Robert Brooks anymore that can really dominate. What we do have is a stellar QB that can take a handful of very good #2's and distribute the ball well enough to compensate. I'm not even sure that a really good TE still makes the difference in today's NFL. You just need to create plays that put guys in the right spot, guys that can get there and be open, and a QB that can get the ball to any of them.

As said already, we've got too many young guys to be even considered in the elite WR category. At the end of this season it could be a different story, but there are likely 25-some teams in the NFL whose fans are thinking the same way.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As soon as I read that Brooks had the Skins as the #1 group I closed the tab. I am not sure where we rank but I will tell you this much. I would take our group over the supposed "#1" every day of the week. Well Sundays, Mondays, Thursdays and a few Saturdays that is. Jordy has shown to be an elite receiver. Not a good or really good one, an elite one. He makes all the catches and makes the tough ones look easy. Cobb is as dynamic of a player you will find in the open field. His ability to play from multiple spots make him even more valuable IMO. Boykin showed flashes last year and I think he could make a push on some squads to be the #2. If Adams is who I think he is we could end up with a flat out scary group. There are some obvious question marks with the TE position but I like that TT has brought in and I think this group will surprise some people this year. I may be in the minority but I am pulling for J-Fin to be back with us this upcoming season. I know I am leaving out guys like Abby, Janis and Dorsey but to me if we get much if anything from them it's all extra gravy on the biscuit. Needless to say 12 has plenty of toys and I can't wait to see the rest of the league try and deal with them!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mind the slight. We have 2 very good WRs and one up and comer. Then we have 3 new draft picks that all show varying degrees of promise. We also have Chris Harper who I thought pretty highly of coming out last year. Our TE situation has only Quarless who has shown something.

The other teams mentioned are all pretty good in the WR/TE category, so I understand. The only one I don't get is Washington. But then I don't know much beyond the first two names listed.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Find a tightend and we could be #1. Not really sold on Boykins but Cobb and Nelson are nice players. Abby and Edwards could be good but we don't know yet. I could see One if the rooks breaking out tho just don't know which one.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers makes our receivers better, big advantage. But based on TALENT, we are middle 50% somewhere. We have no tight end, we have Jordy who would probably be a strong number 2 in a truly EXCELLENT corps, we have Cobb who is a guy with good potential, but I don't believe will ever be a scarey #1. This unit has some work to do to get where it needs to be. The pieces may be there with TE being the biggest question mark.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO there are too many rookie WRs competing for spots to know where the Packers rank. But I disagree with those who view Jordy as a number 2 WR. I see him as a very solid #1 just shy of elite status: The only thing he's missing is blazing speed. But how many receivers in the league can match his acrobatic, spinning catches, while keeping his toes barely in bounds? He's got fabulous body control.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy is a elite receiver. The numbers prove it. I crunched some numbers over the last 3 years and here is how he stacks up with 2 elite receivers. See and decide for yourself...

Roddy White: 45 Games Played for 3,358 Yards and 18 TD's
Demaryius Thomas (arguably top 3 WR in the league): 43 Games Played for 3,415 Yards and 28 TD's
Jordy Nelson: 44 Games Played for 3,322 Yards and 30 TD's

All the above have either good (Ryan) or great QB's (12 and Manning) throwing them the ball as well as other weapons vying for catches. White: TGonz and Julio. Thomas: Decker, Welker and Julius Jones. Jordy: Cobb, Jennings and Jones. I don't think anyone would argue that the two guys I have used for comparison are not elite. Jordy more than holds his own and plays a bunch of games in crap weather. He was already in that category for me but hopefully this will open some eyes to just how special this guy has been for a while now. Do your thing Jordy!

D

Deleted member 6794

Before I clicked on this thread, I read the thread title and thought to myself...."We're above average but not elite anymore." The article didn't change that opinion. Nelson is somewhere between an elite #1 and #2 WR. Cobb has the ability to also be a very good WR, but we don't have a Jennings or Robert Brooks anymore that can really dominate. What we do have is a stellar QB that can take a handful of very good #2's and distribute the ball well enough to compensate. I'm not even sure that a really good TE still makes the difference in today's NFL. You just need to create plays that put guys in the right spot, guys that can get there and be open, and a QB that can get the ball to any of them.

As said already, we've got too many young guys to be even considered in the elite WR category. At the end of this season it could be a different story, but there are likely 25-some teams in the NFL whose fans are thinking the same way.

There´s no doubt in my mind that Nelson is a true #1 WR. I think it´s essential to have a great passing catching TE as well, take a look at what the Saints can do with Graham or the Patriots with a healthy Gronkowski.

D

Deleted member 6794

As soon as I read that Brooks had the Skins as the #1 group I closed the tab. I am not sure where we rank but I will tell you this much. I would take our group over the supposed "#1" every day of the week. Well Sundays, Mondays, Thursdays and a few Saturdays that is.

I don´t agree with the Redskins receivers being rated #1, but as of right now I would rank them ahead of the Packers WR corps.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope jordy keeps on keeping on, I've got him in my keeper league for $37 out of $500 of cap. When I see an elite receiver I see a guy who scares people, somebody who warrants extra attention. There are only a handful or so of those guys in the league Des Bryant, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Julio Jones, Brandon Marshall, Percy Harvin if he can get and stay healthy. There are some young guys coming up. Those guys are elite. Jordy catches a lot of balls in a pass first offense from the best QB in the league. He's our #1, but to have a top tier WR group you wish you had a better #1. If Boykin can grow into a #1 (something I believe is possible), then we could really have something going.

D

Deleted member 6794

I hope jordy keeps on keeping on, I've got him in my keeper league for $37 out of $500 of cap. When I see an elite receiver I see a guy who scares people, somebody who warrants extra attention. There are only a handful or so of those guys in the league Des Bryant, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Julio Jones, Brandon Marshall, Percy Harvin if he can get and stay healthy. There are some young guys coming up. Those guys are elite. Jordy catches a lot of balls in a pass first offense from the best QB in the league. He's our #1, but to have a top tier WR group you wish you had a better #1. If Boykin can grow into a #1 (something I believe is possible), then we could really have something going.

I don´t think Harvin should be rated above Nelson. Boykin could turn into a solid #3 receiver, no way he´s going to be elite though.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's 2014. EVERY team in the NFL is pass first. I hope I don't cross a line here but I honestly believe if Jordy weren't a white guy, named Jordy, he would garner more attention. So he doesn't command double teams means he is not elite? I think D Coordinators are stupid for not giving CBs help over the top with Jordy. Look at his numbers and tell me they wouldn't be well served to blanket him a touch more than they do. When he gets single coverage he almost always wins the battle be it a short out route, slant or a deep ball. He makes every catch and many of them come at the most clutch of times in the game. Again, if DCs choose to let one man "handle" him then I say right on. Let them and I thank them for their lack of respect for JN. Also, we have Percy Harvin on our team. His name is Randall Cobb. He does every single thing Percy does and just as well IMO. Here is all I am saying. Check Nelson's stats come the EOY and see where he ranks with the "elite" guys. All I ask is if he does what he typically does, AGAIN, please give him his dues and crown him with elite status...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's 2014. EVERY team in the NFL is pass first. I hope I don't cross a line here but I honestly believe if Jordy weren't a white guy, named Jordy, he would garner more attention. So he doesn't command double teams means he is not elite? I think D Coordinators are stupid for not giving CBs help over the top with Jordy. Look at his numbers and tell me they wouldn't be well served to blanket him a touch more than they do. When he gets single coverage he almost always wins the battle be it a short out route, slant or a deep ball. He makes every catch and many of them come at the most clutch of times in the game. Again, if DCs choose to let one man "handle" him then I say right on. Let them and I thank them for their lack of respect for JN. Also, we have Percy Harvin on our team. His name is Randall Cobb. He does every single thing Percy does and just as well IMO. Here is all I am saying. Check Nelson's stats come the EOY and see where he ranks with the "elite" guys. All I ask is if he does what he typically does, AGAIN, please give him his dues and crown him with elite status...
I agree with you. That is why every time people look for a comparison they go with some other white WR. I figured Jordy was maxed out last year based on his talent/potential, but he ratcheted it up a notch. He was making more difficult catches than I remember in the past. Definitely Aaron's go-to-guy-when-things-break-down WR. His stats faltered based on Rodgers being out and there being so many other good targets on this team. I would not say he is in the top 5 - there are a lot of great WRs these days in the NFL. But Jordy isn't far behind them.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you. That is why every time people look for a comparison they go with some other white WR. I figured Jordy was maxed out last year based on his talent/potential, but he ratcheted it up a notch. He was making more difficult catches than I remember in the past. Definitely Aaron's go-to-guy-when-things-break-down WR. His stats faltered based on Rodgers being out and there being so many other good targets on this team. I would not say he is in the top 5 - there are a lot of great WRs these days in the NFL. But Jordy isn't far behind them.

Exactly. There are those "freak" guys like Megatron, AJ Green, D Thomas, Julio Jones, Josh Gordon (sober Josh Gordon that is), Marshall and Fitz. While Jordy may not be in that group his production speaks for itself and if you watched the piece on him on NFLN's The Top 100 of 2014 there are plenty of guys in the league that know he is a bad, bad man. I know fantasy football is not real football but it is predicated on one thing, production. Here is where Jordy ranks as of today on a few sites lists: CBS Sports: #7 ESPN: #8 Fantasy Sharks: #9 Fantasy Pros: #9. That would put Jordy at 8.25 out of every eligible WR for fantasy projections this upcoming season. Again, take this with a grain of salt but we all know there is a direct correlation between fantasy and reality because they both place an emphasis on one and one thing only, PRODUCTION! Rank him where you will but I am jacked as always knowing we have "White Chocolate" lining up on our side! (that is what Ike Taylor of the Steelers said they call him...)

Stevie DK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's ridiculous Harvin is rated higher, how can you possibly rate i player that doesn't play, these articles/ratings are useless and just boils my ****.
BTW, I can't name a player that's been more underrated over the past 3-4 seasons than Jordy.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's ridiculous Harvin is rated higher, how can you possibly rate i player that doesn't play, these articles/ratings are useless and just boils my ****.
BTW, I can't name a player that's been more underrated over the past 3-4 seasons than Jordy.
Boils my ****? lol

Not a bad situation to be underrated. I don't think the NFL CBs underrate him though.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Nelson IS a top 10 WR in the NFL...... for those that think otherwise, wait to see what he gets paid by us, and wait to see how many other teams will be clamoring to get their offers in to him..... he will be a hot item if we mess around and wait.
Cobb is a very solid guy and only getting better and better. Had he not suffered that cheap shot to the lower leg, his 2013 would have been much better. Not many guys have the knack for seeing the QB in trouble and coming off route and back to be a target. He gets open, just needs to work on having very consistant hands. If not for him, we would have had less wins over the past two seasons for damn sure. #3 guy .... ???? as of right now, we dont have one IMO, the rest are ALL either unproven or to much of a newb to be able to make a solid judgement on. I'm NOT sold on Boykin as some of you are, he has shown nothing that special as of yet and should have if he would be turning into something special (like cobb showed us). I am banking on one of our rookies to emerge and show some skillzzzz.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I am not ashamed to admit I will be incorporating "boils my ****" into my vernacular.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson IS a top 10 WR in the NFL...... for those that think otherwise, wait to see what he gets paid by us, and wait to see how many other teams will be clamoring to get their offers in to him.....
This will be a hot topic when Nelson's extension comes, as some will not view him as worthy of top ten WR money, and blame TT for overpaying one of his guys again.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think people forget that he was consensus All-American his last year at K State. He had 122 catches for 1606 yards and 11 TD's. He also had 2 return TDs and even threw for 2 TDs! It's not like he just became a great player over night...

Members online

Latest posts