where does greg jennings rank?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He definitely is not quite the great person that Jennings is, but I don't think he's more talented than Greg is, seriously, not being biased.

I think that's a good debate.
He's nowhere near the fluid routerunner that Greg Jennings is, nor does he have Jennings' breakaway speed. So I don't understand this "more talented" talk.

He's bigger. And one can make a case that he has better hands. But talent =/= size.

White is nowhere near capable of doing this:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81b98850/Jennings-14-yard-TD

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the reason so many people underrate Greg Jennings is because the absolutely amazing things he does is ablivous to most fans for two reasons a) they don't know what a good vs a bad route looks like and b) you don't see players actually run routes that often.

Most of the time they are off screen when running their routes. People SEE Larry make great catches. People SEE Desean make amazing moves on a kick off return. Greg Jennings just does all his best work off screen. He makes a catch and people say "well he was wide open, anyone could make that catch" well ya, but he got wide open because of a great route. Trust me, teams don't sit there and say "hey, you know what? lets not cover Greg Jennings this play, or lets go ahead and let him get a few steps on us."

If on offensive plays, they showed receivers instead of qbs and the line(that would be retarded and am not advocating this in any way), Greg would be widely considered top 3 or 4 in my opinion. He breaks a lot of ankles with his route running. I think he'd impress a lot of people...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the reason so many people underrate Greg Jennings is because the absolutely amazing things he does is ablivous to most fans for two reasons a) they don't know what a good vs a bad route looks like and b) you don't see players actually run routes that often.

Most of the time they are off screen when running their routes. People SEE Larry make great catches. People SEE Desean make amazing moves on a kick off return. Greg Jennings just does all his best work off screen. He makes a catch and people say "well he was wide open, anyone could make that catch" well ya, but he got wide open because of a great route. Trust me, teams don't sit there and say "hey, you know what? lets not cover Greg Jennings this play, or lets go ahead and let him get a few steps on us."

If on offensive plays, they showed receivers instead of qbs and the line(that would be retarded and am not advocating this in any way), Greg would be widely considered top 3 or 4 in my opinion. He breaks a lot of ankles with his route running. I think he'd impress a lot of people...
The Packers have the best WR corps in the league because, combined, they're the best route runners in the league and one of the best YAC potential in the league.

Some teams have more explosive receivers (Philly), some teams have more sure-handed receivers (NE), and some teams have great tall receivers (SD), but what only the Green Bay Packers bring is that in almost every single play there's a receiver open, that every receiver can play all receiving positions and work every single level of the field.

If they had better concentration, coupled with Rodgers, it would be just unfair to the rest of the league.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's nowhere near the fluid routerunner that Greg Jennings is, nor does he have Jennings' breakaway speed. So I don't understand this "more talented" talk.

He's bigger. And one can make a case that he has better hands. But talent =/= size.

White is nowhere near capable of doing this:
NFL Videos: Jennings 14-yard TD

Greg Jennings can disappear from games but I dont remember any games like that this year really for White.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
White had plenty of 10+ receptions 2+ tds. But that's more because he's the most thrown receiver in the league.

yeah, he has 30 more receptions because of their offense, and matt ryan being the check down king. But it does say something about his talent as well. I dont think you could use the 30 receptions though to build much of a case for him being better though.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 seasons ago it would have been inconceivable to the fan base that TT might let finley go and Jennings walk. Not many fans are screaming for Jennings to be signed, I guess his injury has been a small blessing as we got to see what we have without him.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It shows us we can play without him but I will really hate to see him go. I still think he is the best wr we have.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 seasons ago it would have been inconceivable to the fan base that TT might let finley go and Jennings walk. Not many fans are screaming for Jennings to be signed, I guess his injury has been a small blessing as we got to see what we have without him.

He's also 2 years older now. 2 years ago Andre Johnson was the best receiver in the league and Calvin Johnson was looked at as only a top 5 guy. Jennings age has caught up with him, the injuries seemed to of robbed him of some of his explosiveness, only remember seeing a couple instances where he got separation from a DB including the one where Rodgers overthrew him.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's also 2 years older now. 2 years ago Andre Johnson was the best receiver in the league and Calvin Johnson was looked at as only a top 5 guy. Jennings age has caught up with him, the injuries seemed to of robbed him of some of his explosiveness, only remember seeing a couple instances where he got separation from a DB including the one where Rodgers overthrew him.

Well I'm glad someone 2 years ago thought that Megatron was the best WR in the nfl. Props to that guy.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do people understand that these players are never, like NEVER never, 100%? Jennings has been hurt all season; he's coming off surgery. Surgery folks. And they had to cut through muscle to repair torn muscle. And now he's old? Uh, he's injured.

Members online

Latest posts