When?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far the Packers are 4-0. We have beaten three playoff teams from last year. Hopefully next week we'll beat another 2006 playoff team. But, the fact is, thus far in 2007, our opponents have a combined record of 5-11. As we know, in this league it doesn't matter what you did last year, it's what you do this year. It's only a matter of time before the talking heads pick up on this fact and start saying that even though the Packers are 4-0, they haven't gone up against much competition. They haven't brought it up this week, but what happens when we beat Chicago. That's 5-0, with 4 victories against 2006 playoff teams. And our opponents record will be 6-15. The national media LOVES turning their back to teams in situations like this, so I think by next week they'll be saying how the Packers are 5-0 but haven't faced any real competition. It's not that it really bothers me that much because, hell, we'll be 5-0, but I just get sick of how predictable the media can be. Watch. It's gonna happen.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
So far the Packers are 4-0. We have beaten three playoff teams from last year. Hopefully next week we'll beat another 2006 playoff team. But, the fact is, thus far in 2007, our opponents have a combined record of 5-11. As we know, in this league it doesn't matter what you did last year, it's what you do this year. It's only a matter of time before the talking heads pick up on this fact and start saying that even though the Packers are 4-0, they haven't gone up against much competition. They haven't brought it up this week, but what happens when we beat Chicago. That's 5-0, with 4 victories against 2006 playoff teams. And our opponents record will be 6-15. The national media LOVES turning their back to teams in situations like this, so I think by next week they'll be saying how the Packers are 5-0 but haven't faced any real competition. It's not that it really bothers me that much because, hell, we'll be 5-0, but I just get sick of how predictable the media can be. Watch. It's gonna happen.

b/c it is true, blueberries taste swell, and we are 4-0

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
****! I THOUGHT that's what it was. I wish someone would have told me earlier so i wouldn't have wasted so much energy being excited about this team. What a waste.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never been more excited about football in a long, long, time. How incredible is it that we have the youngest team in the NFL, and we are undefeated?! This team is getting healthier, barring a couple minor injuries, not to mention we should get Koren Robinson in a couple of weeks.

I think it is good to keep this team hungry, so being called an underdog doesn't matter to me. It just makes it all that more sweet when we win. And I bet the opposing records of any undefeated team aren't that great right now. I agree with you though, if we continue to win the next couple of games there will be specuation. Not until the Broncos game will anyone put us on the map.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dallas and New England haven't beaten anyone with a winning record yet too. The Colts beat the Titans whom are 2-1 and that's the only one over 500 they have beaten.

These types of things happen early on.

Bottom line

You are what your record says and right now the Packers are 4-0. Eventually they'll stumble but take it one game at a time and this could be a great season.

abztractmynd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
love the sarcasm from some of you....but to try to make some sense out of this i have to put in my thoughts.

the steelers beat 3 "bad" teams and lost to a "bad" team...does that make them a "bad" team? just one example.
- the COWBOYS beat 4 bad teams.
- the BUCCANEERS beat 3 bad teams.
- even the PATRIOTS beat 3 bad teams. and if they beat the bengals, the bengals will be a bad team.

i can go on...

but lets be real here....its too early in the season to be considering teams bad or good. as the arizona cardinals showed...any given sunday a team can win. so we beat teams who all have had a bad season so far...so what.

as far as the media is concerned...who cares about media...

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just making an observation and writing it down so when they do turn on us for going 5-0 against 5-11 teams, I can be justifiably disgusted

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm interested in the Lion-Redskin matchup next week. We play both teams, and despite being sub-par last year, both have looked decent this year. Anyone watched any Redskin games this year?

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm ineterested in the Lion-Redskin matchup next week. We play both teams, and despite being sub-par last year, both have looked decent this year. Anyone watched any Redskin games this year?

I've seen all three of the skins' games, and they look legit to me. Powerful dual-backrunning game, spotty but VERRRRY talented scrambling QB, two dynamic, blazing fast WRs, a very talented, enigma-type TE, a pretty crazy passing scheme, and a tough defense to pass on, especially across the deep middle with two of the hardest hitting safeties to prowl a defensive backfield together in a long time.

Needless to say, I think this team's going places.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may also fade because the Giants are definitely better than they showed the first few weeks, and the Eagles and Chargers have a chance to turn things around too. As they win more games, the media will have less of an opportunity to use this tactic.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
But, the fact is, thus far in 2007, our opponents have a combined record of 5-11.

This is true but think of it like this, our opponents record is in part to our wins against them. If we were 0 - 4, our opponents record would be 9 - 7 instead of 5 - 11, nothing spectacular but i dont really like to look at opponents records until late in the year.

Eagles are a good team. Giants are a good team as well. Chargers have a bad record but are a good team. Vikings arent so good but they were at home and have a very good defense.

Same stuff could be said about the Cowboys. They beat the sucky Giants, Dolphins, Rams and Bears. Combined records of 3 - 13. What does that mean? Not much really. Despite their opponents records, they are regarded as the cream of the crop in the NFC even though our opponents have been "better". Similar trends are there for the Colts and Patriots. Not too significant.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The opponents have a combined record of 5-11, but take away those four defeats to the Packers and they are a respectable 5-7.

I think you are right that somebody will make that arguement anyway, though, and why not? The Patriots and Colts have proven themselves to be powerful teams for the past several years. The Cowboys are more on the Packers' level, but at least they made the playoffs last year.

The Packers still need to prove themselves. They ain't done nothin' yet. But I think they will do plenty before the season is over.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me the way the NFL is set up and it's parody any win is a good win. There isn't a team we'll play where I'd feel sure we'll win. As soon as someone looks good one week they lose the next so for any team to win a few in a row is awesome no matter who we play.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
The opponents have a combined record of 5-11, but take away those four defeats to the Packers and they are a respectable 5-7.

They'd actually be 9-7 because if you take away the loss, you have to add in a win so those kind of stats arent as meaningful especially at this point in the season.

ttsather

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
bozz_2006 said:
But, the fact is, thus far in 2007, our opponents have a combined record of 5-11.

This is true but think of it like this, our opponents record is in part to our wins against them. If we were 0 - 4, our opponents record would be 9 - 7 instead of 5 - 11, nothing spectacular but i dont really like to look at opponents records until late in the year.

Eagles are a good team. Giants are a good team as well. Chargers have a bad record but are a good team. Vikings arent so good but they were at home and have a very good defense.

Same stuff could be said about the Cowboys. They beat the sucky Giants, Dolphins, Rams and Bears. Combined records of 3 - 13. What does that mean? Not much really. Despite their opponents records, they are regarded as the cream of the crop in the NFC even though our opponents have been "better". Similar trends are there for the Colts and Patriots. Not too significant.

Yep, the small sample allows for our wins to have a huge effect on our opponents' winning percentage. As real_deal demonstrated, at this point in the season the absolute value of the effect of our wins/losses (in this case all wins) on our combined opponents winning percentage is a whopping .250!

Packers 4-0 (1.000)
Opponents 5-11 (.3125)

Packers 0-4 (.000)
Opponents 9-7 (.5625)

The hypocrisy comes in when the media so willingly uses small sample sizes, disregarding the often statistically significant effect a team's record has, and then will turn around and defend a team based on subjective elements such as "overcoming adversity" or "finding ways to win".

Members online

Latest posts