When will Rodgers get "Farved"?

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it will happen this season, but there is a chance this could happen...Rodgers fell into Ted Thompson's lap even though he had an MVP QB on the roster. Rodgers apprenticed until it became obvious he was ready to go. We know the rest.
Oddly enough, one QB that is getting dissed after spending time at the top of the QB pile is Teddy Bridgewater. He's falling on draft boards. Imagine if Bridgewater is still on the board at #21. Even though Rodgers is under contract for at least four years, if you get a shot at a starting QB this year....just saying.
The chance of it happening is 5%, but at some point in the next few years, Aaron could get "Favred".

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think it will happen this season, but there is a chance this could happen...Rodgers fell into Ted Thompson's lap even though he had an MVP QB on the roster. Rodgers apprenticed until it became obvious he was ready to go. We know the rest.
Oddly enough, one QB that is getting dissed after spending time at the top of the QB pile is Teddy Bridgewater. He's falling on draft boards. Imagine if Bridgewater is still on the board at #21. Even though Rodgers is under contract for at least four years, if you get a shot at a starting QB this year....just saying.
The chance of it happening is 5%, but at some point in the next few years, Aaron could get "Favred".

Rodgers is under contract for another six seasons. That´s two years longer than any drafted QB´s contract would run, so forget about it for some more years.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is still a young QB entering his prime. It'll be a few years yet before any discussion about replacing him has any merit.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question is not if, but when. If TT remains the GM, you very well could see it happen down the road.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one thing that intrigues me about this slim chance scenario is the similarities between Rodgers and Bridgewater. Similar build, height, throwing accuracy, mobility, intelligence, work-ethic, pro-style college offense, questionable pro-day (concerns about ball placement), taking too many sacks, possible falling from first pick.

I mean watching Bridgewater his pro-comparison has to be Rodgers. Has to be.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This might happen in 2017 or 2018, but the chance of it happening this year is 0%. Rodgers is still young, the best QB in the league and under contract until he retires. Rodgers still has PLENTY of good football left in him.

Plus Rodgers hasn't retired and come back twice already.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Do you mean when will Rodgers start playing the 'I'm going to retire, no I'm not' game and when will Rodgers start telling Thompson how to do his job, and when will Rodgers start dodging mini camps, and when will Rodgers want his own locker, and when will Rodgers publicly announce his retirement, then change his mind, be accepted back and then change his mind again... and then again? Never is my guess because in the end, Favre "Favred" himself.

Or do you mean when will the Packers draft his replacement? Not until the draft after he suffers a career-ending or altering injury or at least three to four drafts from now.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you mean when will Rodgers start playing the 'I'm going to retire, no I'm not' game and when will Rodgers start telling Thompson how to do his job, and when will Rodgers start dodging mini camps, and when will Rodgers want his own lockerroom, and when will Rodgers publicly announce his retirement, then change his mind, be accepted back and then change his mind again... and then again? Never is my guess because in the end, Favre "Favred" himself.

Or do you mean when will the Packers draft his replacement? Not until the draft after he suffers a career-ending or altering injury or at least three to four drafts from now.
Not sure that is what he meant.

I think he meant, "when will TT do what he loves doing in destroying the career and pushing out of GB the fan-loved QB who just wants to have fun out there and still play?"

The answer is: Never. Because Rodgers has much more class and respect for both the Packer organization and the fans to put Thompson into that situation.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is Ted will retire before he needs to start looking for Aarons successor.
Ted is at that age when that SS check starts looking pretty good. (laughing)

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is still young has far as years started and has many years left. Too early to find a replacement.

If Bridgewater fell all the way to us and is their number one guy on the board, they'd trade down.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good comments, all. But remember the impact not having an adequate backup QB had during the 2013 season. If a talent like Bridgewater falls to 21...would Ted be tempted? (Especially at the new, cheaper prices you have to pay rookies).

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good comments, all. But remember the impact not having an adequate backup QB had during the 2013 season. If a talent like Bridgewater falls to 21...would Ted be tempted? (Especially at the new, cheaper prices you have to pay rookies).

No. You draft your 1st round player to play not to ride the bench

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If a talent like Bridgewater falls to 21...would Ted be tempted? (Especially at the new, cheaper prices you have to pay rookies).
I don’t think so – that’s where BVA comes into play vs. BPA. The value of any rookie QB is downgraded because the Packers currently have (IMO) the best QB in the league. Also a first round QB can’t be trained, used as a good backup and then traded or lost to UFA for a better pick. I hope if Bridgewater falls a team with an immediate need at QB will be willing to trade up for him (and overpay for the privilege). As far as the backup QB situation IMO it is much, much better than the situation going into last season right now. I know some here disagree but IMO even if Flynn doesn’t return, I see Tolzien as a huge upgrade. He has a strong arm and he is a diligent worker so I expect him to do very well with an off season immersed in the system. And every day that goes by without a deal with another team for Flynn, the more likely he’ll be in Green Bay. I believe we’ll be going into this season with both the backup QB position and the RB position having gone from weaknesses into significant strengths over the past couple of seasons.

BTW ivo610 Rodgers is an obvious example of a first rounder riding the bench that turned out fantastically.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW ivo610 Rodgers is an obvious example of a first rounder riding the bench that turned out fantastically.

He was drafted to succeed favre and to play. Which he did. Taking a QB now in the 1st, he would be drafted to ride the bench. Huge difference

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT thought Bridgewater was the next AR, then I would be okay with it. There is a distinct advantage to having a QB on a rookie contract as both Seattle and the 49ers have. Can you imagine if we picked Bridge, sat him for 2 seasons to be sure of his development, then traded Rodgers when we know Bridge can take over? We would get maybe 3 1s and a good player or two - we would be looking impressive for the next 3 seasons of Bridge's rookie deal.

I don't advocate the above - it would be silly and very risky that any QB picks up the reigns and goes with it.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mark brunell Aaron brooks and Matt hasselbeck were drafted to ride the bench. None of them were drafted before the 4th round

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
He was drafted to succeed favre and to play. Which he did. Taking a QB now in the 1st, he would be drafted to ride the bench. Huge difference
IMO if Favre would not have "favred" himself, he would have started the 2008 season. We know that because the Packers agreed to his return weeks after he “retired”. Rodgers’ rookie deal was for five years, through the 2009 season. If Favre had returned in 2008, I think it is unlikely Rodgers would have agreed to an extension that season (as he did because he was starting). IMO it would have been even more unlikely in 2009 if Favre were a Packer because Rodgers would have been contemplating free agency and the chance to start and the money that would come with it. We all know Favre’s last season was 2010. Had Favre showed up for minicamp in 2008, I have no doubt Rodgers would have been riding the bench for his fourth season with no end to his second-string status in sight.

I’ll grant you the situation is different because of the difference in age of the starting QBs (35 & 30), but no matter the intent in 2005, Rodgers did indeed ride the bench and it was Favre’s actions that caused that situation to change. Except for that for all we know Rodgers would have ridden the bench until his departure from Green Bay.

Last edited:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO if Favre would not have "favred" himself, he would have started the 2008 season. We know that because the Packers agreed to his return weeks after he “retired”. Rodgers’ rookie deal was for five years, through the 2009 season. If Favre had returned in 2008, I think it is unlikely Rodgers would have agreed to an extension that season (as he did because he was starting). IMO it would have been even more unlikely in 2009 if Favre were a Packer because Rodgers would have been contemplating free agency and the chance to start and the money that would come with it. We all know Favre’s last season was 2010. Had Favre showed up for minicamp in 2008, I have no doubt Rodgers would have been riding the bench for his fourth season with no end to his second-string status in sight.

I’ll grant you the situation is different because of the difference in age of the starting QBs (38 & 30), but no matter the intent in 2005, Rodgers did indeed ride the bench and it was Favre’s actions that caused that situation to change. Except for that for all we know Rodgers would have ridden the bench until his departure from Green Bay.
If we are going down the alternate universe timeline make sure you mention Rodgers almost took over for Favre at the NFC championship game

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So why was Dhaytone Jones riding the pine? Or do you just mean quarterback? because Rodgers sat behind Farse?
Jones wasn't drafted to ride the pine. He was drafted to play. Just because he isn't a full time player doesn't mean he wasn't intended to be.

As I explained before (you must have missed that post) Rodgers was drafted to succeed favre. He was drafted to play. Brooks hasselbeck and brunell were drafted to ride the pine, that's why they weren't picked before the 4th round.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones wasn't drafted to ride the pine. He was drafted to play. Just because he isn't a full time player doesn't mean he wasn't intended to be.

As I explained before (you must have missed that post) Rodgers was drafted to succeed favre. He was drafted to play. Brooks hasselbeck and brunell were drafted to ride the pine, that's why they weren't picked before the 4th round.

Oh so you didn't mean as a full time starter? My mistake that's how I took it.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All first round picks are drafted with the hope he will contribute to the team as a starter either right away or down the road.

No GM ever picks a first round player and thinks, "I really hope this guy becomes a great backup or special teams player for us."

If that was the expectation, he wouldn't have been a first round pick.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All first round picks are drafted with the hope he will contribute to the team as a starter either right away or down the road.

No GM ever picks a first round player and thinks, "I really hope this guy becomes a great backup or special teams player for us."

Well I hope not.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think it possible, though, that we look at a player, say a DT and say, 'well he is very rough, he needs to learn, but his physical skills are HOF level. If we draft him and our crack defensive staff develops him, he plays sparingly for a year or two, when he comes around, he will be very impactful.' I don't think that is the case with Jones, but I could see it a possibility.

I think the biggest reason that Jones played less towards the end of the season, was how well and surprisingly Daniels played. I am still looking forward to big things from him.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. You draft your 1st round player to play not to ride the bench
Agreed. But what if he's the number one player on your board?

I think you've got to take him in that case. It's a true BPA approach. You have to trust your board. Because if you pass on him, and the Vikings trade up behind us and snag him and he turns out to be All-Pro you're giving a division rival 8+ wins a year.

The Vikings passed on Rodgers (who was probably on top of their board) because they thought they had a guy at QB (Daunte Cullpepper) and they took Everson Griffin who was a need. Look how that turned out for them. Obviously, Favre was pretty old when we took Rodgers, but we passed on need for BPA.

Members online

Latest posts