When will Packer fans learn?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't just dismiss free agency. If the right defensive player is available, you have to give him a look. A team cannot limit itself by only building through the draft.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Houston, the media said would only be able to fix the defensive issues if they grabbed Nnamdi in FA. They didnt. And they had their best season and best defense in Franchise history.

The Texans added four defensive starters last offseason, two via free agency (CB Jonathan Joseph and FS Daniel Manning) and two via the draft (DE JJ Watt and OLB Brooks Reed). This is a perfect example of a team building through the draft and free agency. The result, as you said, was the the best defense in franchise history.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Texans added four defensive starters last offseason, two via free agency (CB Jonathan Joseph and FS Daniel Manning) and two via the draft (DE JJ Watt and OLB Brooks Reed). This is a perfect example of a team building through the draft and free agency. The result, as you said, was the the best defense in franchise history.

Joseph was a really good addition and underrated in the offseason. Manning was egh imo. they drafted great and most importantly to turn their D around they hired a great D cord

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of my best friends is a big Redskins fan so I feel like he will give me an edge here

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Improving the pass rush is not always a guarantee in the draft either. I mean there is this team I know of called the Colts. They thought they had a guy in the mold of Freeney/Mathis and his name is Jerry Hughes. BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the flip side a team like the Giants seems to be like a pass rush factory via the draft. Lucky bastards. I actually thought JPP was going to be a bust too and Jerry Hughes would be a stud. So, don't ask me for advice I guess.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
People still think Ted will change his ways?

We heard when Brett was here, that he wouldnt do FA because he wanted to force Brett out....Well 4 years later we are still debating his methods.

I thought that AFTER the loss to the Cards in the playoffs, we would see Ted dabble in FA...Was wrong..

I dont think he will sign your typical FA this year either..We just dont have the people on the DL to fix what we need and not sure the draft will give us the people we need

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what are the parameters?

Why not last 3 years?

I mean, if we dont', I can use Reggie White, Sean Jones, Santana Dotson, Don Beebe (basically a bunch of players from the 1996 Championship team). Are the free agent contracts of these plays relevant? Is this entire "laundry list" idea relevant?

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, but the Packers didn't get them because they needed to fill a gaping hole. They got them because, like good organizations do, they had scouted them out and liked the upside they had for the value. It wasn't a "we need secondary player and a dlineman so lets see who is out there in free agency".
Did you bother to fully read my post? When Pickett signed with the Packers the defense for the Packers ranked 23rd in the league the previous year and when Woodson signed the following year it ranked 19th and had allowed 21.5 points per game. If you go back and check what was being said at the time it was that the Packer defense needed to be upgraded similar to now. I don't know what you consider gaping holes but that 2005 defense wasn't very good.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not last 3 years?

I mean, if we dont', I can use Reggie White, Sean Jones, Santana Dotson, Don Beebe (basically a bunch of players from the 1996 Championship team). Are the free agent contracts of these plays relevant? Is this entire "laundry list" idea relevant?

While Reggie White was a home run, were all the other players considered great pick ups? Fast forward to now, where does Howard Green land? He was very important to the SB last season in a couple games but has been for the most part, useless this season

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Javon Walker wasn't a free agent. Walker was traded by Green Bay to Denver. He got all messed up after his friend (Williams) got shot and died in his arms and was robbed and beaten at gun point a few months later.
Not trying to speak for anyone else but Walker was one of the worst Free Agent signings in history (Oakland)

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cullen Jenkins

^^ I was waiting for somebody to say Cullen Jenkins or I was going to do it.

We can all moan about TT do this, TT do that all we want, but I don't think there is a better draft manager (genius) in the league aside from maybe Bill Belichick. TT is just not big on FA's, when he does go for one, it's a shocker. When he starts trading picks up and down and signing FA's left and right , I think I will go under my sofa and hide for half the season in an utter state of terror.

Reaction score
Packers have too many of there own young players who will need to be resigned in the next 2 years. TT will not pursue any notable FA's this year. He needs to hit some home runs in the draft this year. The pass rush HAS to be improved.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have too many of there own young players who will need to be resigned in the next 2 years. TT will not pursue any notable FA's this year. He needs to hit some home runs in the draft this year. The pass rush HAS to be improved.

exactly, I would rather not gamble on a FA in exchange for a young up and coming packer that needs to be paid.

Members online

Latest posts