WHEN will Jerry Kramer be inducted into the HOF?

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We know it should happen because he was a star player on one of the greatest, if not the greatest team(s) in the history of the NFL. Five World championships.

He has been passed over many times.

I don't get it, why is he always slighted??

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We know it should happen because he was a star player on one of the greatest, if not the greatest team(s) in the history of the NFL. Five World championships.

He has been passed over many times.

I don't get it, why is he always slighted??

Too many players from that team are already in the hall I would assume is the general thinking. Its not like every other team doesnt have someone they feel should be in that isnt.

OP
OP
LAG

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you think of Jerry Kramer, one thinks of the famed Packer sweep. A play used by many in the NFL since then.

The selection process is messed up.

OP
OP
LAG

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C'mon Pro Football Hall Of Fame, it's time to put Kramer in the Hall!

Packer fans got to shout it from the roof tops..

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The veteran's committee has had him as a finalist only once in 1997, after being nominated 9 times before. There is no rational reason he is not in the HOF.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
They are trying to make the Hall of Fame a gentleman's club.

Look at Joe Namath in there, but no Kenny Stabler?

I know some will disagree with me here, but Cris Carter deserves to be in the Hall just as much as any other franchise leading Wide Receiver.

Take a look at the Saints Dome Patrol Line up and how in the hell is Rickey Jackson the only one in the Hall?

I can go on and on. I also think they show no respect for special team players. I never hear of Kickers or punters going into the HoF, and some kickers do deserve to be in there.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I never hear of Kickers or punters going into the HoF, and some kickers do deserve to be in there."

Jan Stenerud and Lou The Toe Groza are the only pure kickers in. I think the Hall should be reserved for the players lining up and getting pounded play after play. Some of the older guys that played from scrimmage and also punted or kicked are in, like Sammy Baugh, Paul Hornung, George Blanda. They certainly deserve it, and their ability to kick made them all the more valuable.

Hornung's 176 points scored in 12 games in 1960 came on 13 rushing TDs, 2 receiving TDs, 15 Field goals, and 41 extra points. And he freed up another roster spot that would have been taken by a kicker today. Remarkable.

OP
OP
LAG

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best assumption I have read about Kramer's absence from the Hall is quantity. There are too many other guys enshrined from the same (Lombardi era) team, so it just happens Jerry is the man out.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I never hear of Kickers or punters going into the HoF, and some kickers do deserve to be in there."

Jan Stenerud and Lou The Toe Groza are the only pure kickers in. I think the Hall should be reserved for the players lining up and getting pounded play after play. Some of the older guys that played from scrimmage and also punted or kicked are in, like Sammy Baugh, Paul Hornung, George Blanda. They certainly deserve it, and their ability to kick made them all the more valuable.

Hornung's 176 points scored in 12 games in 1960 came on 13 rushing TDs, 2 receiving TDs, 15 Field goals, and 41 extra points. And he freed up another roster spot that would have been taken by a kicker today. Remarkable.

I thought that "The Toe" wore # 76 and played offensive tackle for MANY years for the Browns.

I am marking this one on the calender, JBlood.

I am sorry, but one more mistake like that and we will have to put you in a nursing home. :tongue:

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought that "The Toe" wore # 76 and played offensive tackle for MANY years for the Browns.

I am marking this one on the calender, JBlood.

I am sorry, but one more mistake like that and we will have to put you in a nursing home. :tongue:

OSF, you are correct. I forgot that I remembered that he played tackle. Oh well, bad memory makes every day a new adventure.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kramer will probably never get in with the way it's selected. Maybe if he gets considered by the Veterans' Committee he'd have a chance.

If you read Peter King's articles, you generally get the sense that Peter King is choosing who goes to the HOF or not. It's a group of 32 writers - one from each NFL city - and then a bunch of other writers, many of which are Peter King's pals. Jason Whitlock wrote a couple of great articles about how messed-up the system is, and while I don't agree with his HOF choices, I do agree with his general idea, and especially his calling out of Peter King.

Some of the HOF choices are extremely questionable. Joe Namath in particular, who got into the HOF because of his "guarantee." Like Whitlock said in his article, the HOF wants to be able to tell stories with its inductees, so it's got to get a guy like Richard Dent in so they can tell the story of the '85 Bears, or John Stallworth in so they can tell the story of Super Bowl XIV. Those are a couple of guys known for one big game in their careers.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Too many players from that team are already in the hall I would assume is the general thinking. Its not like every other team doesnt have someone they feel should be in that isnt.

If that's the reason, that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. An acknowledgment of greatness is not contingent on such things, or at least it shouldn't be.

OP
OP
LAG

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somebody asked Vic about Kramer not in the Hall at packer dot com yesterday, here was his answer:

"Kramer’s not the only player from those teams of the ’60’s that I believe deserves a place in the Hall of Fame. I believe Dave Robinson is one of the most underrated players in NFL history. Had Robinson been used as Lawrence Taylor was, Robinson would’ve been the guy who changed the game. He had that kind of ability. He had the size, speed, strength and athletic ability to play the game in any style and in any era, as evidenced by his 27 interceptions. The problem is that back then they didn’t count sacks or even use linebackers much in rushing the passer, so Robinson doesn’t have the numbers to compete with the players of the Elias generation. The other thing that’s held Kramer and Robinson back from getting into the Hall of Fame is the fact that they played on a team with “too many” guys in the Hall of Fame. Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News once made an interesting remark to me about a team having so many players in the Hall of Fame. He said that if a team had that many great players on it, then the coach shouldn’t be in the Hall of Fame. I don’t agree."

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
If clearly worthy players, like Kramer, are not inducted, and questionable players, like Namath, are inducted the HoF could eventually become completely irrelevant (except for the early years of induction). If King and his pals are controlling induction it will become irrelevant sooner than later.

Members online

Latest posts