Whats Wrong With Clay Matthews?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Frank, just in case you weren't kidding my memory isn't that good. What I remembered was reading an article on Nagler in the NY Times about a year ago. So I did a search for that article. Here it is.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think some people are not getting what others (like myself) are saying. No one is saying Clay isn't playing well, if not very well. He is playing very well. He is drawing the attention of the offense and getting lots of double and triple teams. But he is also getting one on one opportunities against sub par tackles, and NOT winning them. This is not a statement on Clay as a player as a whole, but rather a statement of fact about the opportunities he's had this season and what he's done (or in this case hasn't done). Still early in the season, so still a bit early to make any definitive statements about his ability overall this season. But he has not won the one on one's that he would routinely win last year.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Clay was on Inside the NFL last night. Said he wasn't sure when Capers asked him to move. but now he's starting to settle into it. Also said he didn't know about Woodsons's little diva dis until the night Americas Game came out. He was late getting to an event so he could watch it, then he went and gave Woodson some crap about it.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mathews has quadriceps injury.

Source :Thursday, September 29 , 2011 - Green Bay Press-Gazette Sport section

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mathews has quadriceps injury.

Source :Thursday, September 29 , 2011 - Green Bay Press-Gazette Sport section
Yes, question is how serious is it, and how long has it been going.

I, for one, have no doubt it is very serious, and it is affecting his game.

But I'm not worried. Injuries heal. The most important thing is having Clay at his best in december and january, not in september and october.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Yes, question is how serious is it, and how long has it been going.

I, for one, have no doubt it is very serious, and it is affecting his game.

But I'm not worried. Injuries heal. The most important thing is having Clay at his best in december and january, not in september and october.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever." -Shane Falco in "The Replacements"

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever." -Shane Falco in "The Replacements"
Exactly, he's hurt enough to impair his game, and is still playing very well, you just gotta handle to this guy. What a warrior.

Think about it. He doesn't have the same explosion, so how the hell is still playing at this level?

It's because he still has the incredible intangibles. His preparation is great, he knows the tendencies of the offense, as shown by the destruction of those pulling guard plays. He's still always around the ball, and he plays it like noone. And he's still getting pressure, by sheer will.

I really though about Aaron Kampman seeing him last game. Does anyone questions how good of a player Kampman was? But noone ever said he was the best pass rusher in the league.

Matthews hurt is playing like him. Which is still very good, still an asset to this team. But the Matthews of earlier last year was so good he made up for some other defeciencies of our team, and for the lack of a true complementary pass rusher.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A lot of the talk seems to be that Casey is a bust and nothing like his brother, essentially that having a brother as good as Clay is a bit of a curse in this league because he'll never live up to him. I tend to think the opposite and think Casey being Clay's brother alone got him drafted in the 4th round and made him some money. I think most people who watched Casey in college already knew he wouldn't be like his brother. (don't quote me on that, I didn't watch him much, that's just what I heard). But because of what Clay did, a team was willing to take a shot on Casey that he otherwise probably wouldn't have gotten...

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110929/PKR01/110929140&located=rss

See its not just us "homers" wearing green and gold glasses and refusing to acknowledge our favorite players down falls. The Coaches, and every one of them in fact have given him a very high grade in each of the first 3 games, and honestly I trust MM and Dom Capers as far as player evaluation over all of ours put together.Very interesting read on this subject and i wondered how long it would take for it to come out.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110929/PKR01/110929140&located=rss

See its not just us "homers" wearing green and gold glasses and refusing to acknowledge our favorite players down falls. The Coaches, and every one of them in fact have given him a very high grade in each of the first 3 games, and honestly I trust MM and Dom Capers as far as player evaluation over all of ours put together.Very interesting read on this subject and i wondered how long it would take for it to come out.

Here is the thing tho...

Would the coaches actually say he is not playing up to par?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Here is the thing tho...

Would the coaches actually say he is not playing up to par?

Yeah, in their cryptic coach speak, but it would still be there. They would say something like, "he's studying hard" or "he still has some adjustments to make" or like with Finley "he needs more reps".

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, in their cryptic coach speak, but it would still be there. They would say something like, "he's studying hard" or "he still has some adjustments to make" or like with Finley "he needs more reps".
This.

Reaction score
I will re watch the game in the morning ( I would 3rd shift now) and see if I notice anything.

But I do know he had some great plays yesterday..One that comes to mind is the taking down rb in back field for a loss
He was graded a perfect score for all 3 games played so far by the coaches so I think he is doing a lot better than what the stats say.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's also possible that the coaches don't want to let on that Matthews isn't playing like himself. They'd much rather teams plan for him like he is the regular Clay Matthews, who needs double and triple teams constantly, rather than admit that he has not been winning his one on ones...

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Wow!!! 118 posts about what is wrong with Clay. Coach's Say he is doing outstanding, Media Says he is doing outstanding. I guess with being world champs and 3-0 and all we don't have much else to do but fret about why we are doing so bad.:tdown:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the D-line isn't playing as well this year and the O-line can focus much of it's attention on Clay. I also think Clay's inability to bull rush is making him a little one dimensional and OTs have figured out better ways to play him. Clay is also on his way to setting the single season record for untouched slip and falls. It's ridiculous dude always slips and falls. But even though he hasn't been great with his pass rush he has been good in other areas.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because the organization always comes out and is up front with everything. Only in GB does a knee bruise turn into a season ending injury.

The fact that the question is being asked should say something.

Interesting they say nothing is wrong with him but hold him out of practice bc of injury.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries are pretty much the only think that can hold a player like of this caliber back. I think we have the answer to the question of what's wrong with him. These injuries may of been lingering from God knows how long. The problem is he doesn't really rest so they never get the chance to really heal. I'm going to say something that may not be well received but as I like to speak my mind I'm going to say it anyway. This depends of course on the nature and severity of said injuries, but if I were the coach I'd sit Clay for the Broncos game. We don't need him as much to beat them and our offense will take care of anything else. He really needs to heal up some. Games that aren't as significant, I just think maybe they are his time to rest. We will need him so much at the end of the year, playoffs and Superbowl. Those are the games where we cannot be without him. Clay is an invaluable part of our D and must be protected at all costs.

If he's not injured and nothing is going on, then forget about it. But I never want to win the battle just to lose the war.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries are pretty much the only think that can hold a player like of this caliber back. I think we have the answer to the question of what's wrong with him. These injuries may of been lingering from God knows how long. The problem is he doesn't really rest so they never get the chance to really heal. I'm going to say something that may not be well received but as I like to speak my mind I'm going to say it anyway. This depends of course on the nature and severity of said injuries, but if I were the coach I'd sit Clay for the Broncos game. We don't need him as much to beat them and our offense will take care of anything else. He really needs to heal up some. Games that aren't as significant, I just think maybe they are his time to rest. We will need him so much at the end of the year, playoffs and Superbowl. Those are the games where we cannot be without him. Clay is an invaluable part of our D and must be protected at all costs.

If he's not injured and nothing is going on, then forget about it. But I never want to win the battle just to lose the war.

Regardless of how well Clay is playing, I still DREAD any game without him. See last years game vs the dolphins and the third quarter against the Redskins, we simply got no pressure without him. Chad effing Henne made plays against our defense, Chad Henne. I can't repeat that enough, Chade Henne.

Members online

Latest posts