Whats up with Driver

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Danreb said:
He'll play and he'll play hard. If he doesn't, it's either his age or the fact that Favre made him.

Favre made him? I'm guessing you didn't really mean that without Favre Driver wouldn't have been as productive as he has been. Driver would have been great no matter where he played. Great players always find a way to be great.

You couldnt have great plays without great players playin this great game.... Thanks Joooohn

Reaction score
True but even Driver himself gives Favre credit for making him as tough as he is. He has said on numerous occations that seeing the beating Favre took and the fact that he always kept playing made Driver strive to be like that. Yes I agree he always had the tallent but he didn't have the toughness, that was something Favre taught him.

I think that's giving Brett too much credit.

What makes Driver tough? Probably being raised in poverty, a neighborhood where drugs, gangs, violence was all too common.

What else makes Driver tough? The desire to prove the teams that passed him in the draft wrong. The desire to prove the people who said he'd never become a capable WR that they were wrong.

As for Driver getting back-up after being hit hard during the Chargers game, it isn't as if he did that because of Favre. I'm pretty sure Driver did it to motivate his team, to show the other team that no matter how hard they come at him (and the Packers), the Packers would always get back-up. I'm pretty sure Driver did not want to give the Chargers DBs the satisfaction of knowing they rattled him. (In fact, there was a SI article on NFL players getting right back up after taking big hits, and the last point was covered extensively in that article)

No doubt Driver respects Favre, but to suggest that Driver has learned his toughness from Favre does a disservice to Donald IMO.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver took one shot that I won't forget. He got thrown down on his head and caused some neck trauma that when I saw the hit, I thought his career was over. He missed one week.

Driver's one of the toughest WRs I've ever seen. Fearless, and 100% dedicated to the team. That's why he's one of my favorite Packers ever.

I don't think there's anything up with Driver. He'll be fine, and get his 1000+ yards this year. He catches balls in routes other WRs are afraid to take. There is no substitution for that.

Members online

Latest posts