What's Ted Thompson's 2012 Packers game plan?

dogpackerz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What’s Ted Thompson’s 2012 Packers game plan?

It’s 7 games into the season and what better 2 talk about during the Bye Week?
Yep…you’re right! The future of our Green Bay Packers………

Lets here what you think Ted will do..
What would you do if you were the GM?

As of today the Packers are 7.5 million under 2011-12 cap

NFL teams cap figure as of Monday, October 3rd

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/04/updated-cap-numbers-as-of-monday/

My 2012 GM arm-chair Ted Thompson team predictions…

WONT BE ON 2012 TEAM

*Chad Clifton retires (+$6.25 million )
*Donald Driver retires (+$4.96 million )
*Ryan Grant (FA) (+$3.80 million)
*Patt Lee (FA) ( +$800,000 )
*Brad Jones (Waived) (+$700,000)

Money saved from Retired/FA departures along with the 7.5 million left in cap space.

Packers would have around $25 million between today at (7.5m) and the beginning of the 2012 season to sign our own guys along with the annual NFL salary cap yearly increase…

*Jarrett Bush(FA) resigns during this season
*Scott Wells resigns during this season
*Jermicheal Finley resigns during this season OR Packers Franchise Tag him to keep or for TRADE next April
*Howard Green resigns in off season
* BJ Raji/Clay Matthews will resign during next season.
As long as no major injuries occur.
*Eric Walden resigns in off season
*Aaron Rodgers will resign his LIFETIME Mega-contract at end of 2012 season.
*If we get Nick Collins back it’s a plus….if not
we save $6 million.

i didnt include all the salary differences from this year to next..
i looked over all salaries and guestimated free money in 2012....

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
We are going to need that money. Rogers, Finley, Raji and Mattews are all going to get very big paydays. I hope we get Nick Back, we have to start thinking of a future without Woodson. But not today, today we are the champs, 7-0 with two weeks to enjoy it. It just does not get any better than this. Until next year when we are 7-0 working toward our third championship.

Packers_89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah a lot of our players are going to get huge raises. We can probably sign someone to a huge deal but then be forced to lose like Matthews or something. I have no idea what our financial situation will be like but I am sure TT has been planning for this a while back.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea what I would do. I trust TT completely.

What I want come next year's draft is another pass rusher opposite Matthews. A stud. Capers and Greene have done wonders with scraps really, but it's one position that lacks production, and that will impact our defense greatly.

Of course, the way Capers plays, it's really hard to find one, because we're not like the Cowboys and other 3-4 teams that mainly asks their OLBs to rush the passer, we need to find a versatile player that can do it all. But it's the one position that I really would like to see adressed, and early, comes draft day.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I expect a few players to re-do deals this year...

I think Finley gets tagged next year, and I dont think they will trade him...

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I have zero idea what we will do regarding signing/retiring/releasing players. I'll leave that up to TT. What I would like to see is our first two picks going towards a pass rusher and a DB. I think we really need to bolster our defense in the upcoming draft. Our lack of pass rush has been PAINFULLY obvious this year.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It won't matter because the end of world happens in 2012 anyway.

Which reminds me. I better get to the grocery store and stock up on canned goods and water and then over to Shopko and get a few more pairs of clean underwear and socks. Gotta have socks for the apocalypse. Don't know why but clean socks makes sense to me somehows or others.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It won't matter because the end of world happens in 2012 anyway.

Which reminds me. I better get to the grocery store and stock up on canned goods and water and then over to Shopko and get a few more pairs of clean underwear and socks. Gotta have socks for the apocalypse. Don't know why but clean socks makes sense to me somehows or others.
Will it? Or are they gonna re-schedule like they always do? Man, either God is really busy or his secretary just doesn't like us...

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will it? Or are they gonna re-schedule like they always do? Man, either God is really busy or his secretary just doesn't like us...
Hey, are you folks in Brazil (Or other parts in South America) going nuts/worried about this end in 2012?
Or is it just a United States thing?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, are you folks in Brazil (Or other parts in South America) going nuts/worried about this end in 2012?
Or is it just a United States thing?
Not here... This is a catholic country (the biggest in the world), so we kinda listen to the pope. Protestantism is rare in Brazil.

And no one with common sense should go crazy about this.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not here... This is a catholic country (the biggest in the world), so we kinda listen to the pope. Protestantism is rare in Brazil.

And no one with common sense should go crazy about this.
I'm not sure how religion fits into it.

You know it's based on the Mayan calendar, right?
It's just simply where the calendar ends. Like Y2K or if everyone all of a sudden thought there would be world wide disaster on every Dec. 31.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure how religion fits into it.

You know it's based on the Mayan calendar, right?
It's just simply where the calendar ends. Like Y2K or if everyone all of a sudden thought there would be world wide disaster on every Dec. 31.
First of all, that comes as an interpretation of the Mayan calendar, and that is considered heresy by the Church.

And it's not just the Mayan calendar, Mormons believe that according to Joseph Smith, the world would end in 2012, and apparently there's a guy named Harold Camping that also keepd predicting the world will end soon. The Y2K thing got people worried here, but that wasn't some magic thing that would end the world, that had reasoning. Flawed, simplistic reasoning, but reasoning.

Basically, religion pays a part into it because in Brazil people only listen to world endings if it's the Pope that says so, and it's not the case.

And, I'm sorry, nothing personal, but if someone believes this crap, they belong in a loony bin.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
The bible says noone will know when the rapture aka end of the world will happen. Thats what I go by. So I'm positive we will all be fine December 21 2012 :p

Reaction score
idk about the Cap, so I'll just go guess on what posistions we draft for:
- HB (idk what Grant's contract is)
- Center (for depth)
- DT (Howard & Ryan are a bit older)
- DE (to fill up Jenkin's spot, or whenever Neal gets hurt)
- OLB (so Clay won't have to be a 1 man army like suggs & d-ware)
- MLB (depth)
- Safety (Idk about Nick and Charlie isn't Ed Reed or something)
idk.... how long is this bye week gonna be?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bible says noone will know when the rapture aka end of the world will happen. Thats what I go by. So I'm positive we will all be fine December 21 2012 :p
Yeah, me too.

BTW has anyone seen the movie 2012 starring John Cusak?
Oh man, it's sooooooo bad and so full of implausabilities and plot holes.
Check it out if you like laughing at bad movies.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are going to need that money. Rogers, Finley, Raji and Mattews are all going to get very big paydays. I hope we get Nick Back, we have to start thinking of a future without Woodson. But not today, today we are the champs, 7-0 with two weeks to enjoy it. It just does not get any better than this. Until next year when we are 7-0 working toward our third championship.
Aaron Rodgers isnt a FA til 2015. His contract numbers for the next few years are very similar to Peyton Mannings actually. Any change in his contract would have to come from him requesting it.

As far as Finley I dont know what his market value will be but he has 11 career TDs so I dont think its as high as people seem to speculate

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers isnt a FA til 2015. His contract numbers for the next few years are very similar to Peyton Mannings actually. Any change in his contract would have to come from him requesting it.

As far as Finley I dont know what his market value will be but he has 11 career TDs so I dont think its as high as people seem to speculate

Andrew Brandt says he would be shocked if Rodgers doesnt have anew deal in place in 20103..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
- Center (for depth)
- MLB (depth)

Grant is free agent after this year

He should give the Pack a nice discount..If not for Ted and Edgar Grant might still be buried on the Giants bench

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
- Center (for depth)
- MLB (depth)

He should give the Pack a nice discount..If not for Ted and Edgar Grant might still be buried on the Giants bench

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

Grant already took a cut to his salary this year. I expect he'll be waived next year unless he has a break out second half of the season. Remember Ted's philosophy is youth. Draft and develop while hoping to get some value for older players who might have a year or two left in their tank. To that end I agree DD will either retire or be waived. I also think Howard Green and Collins could be gone in 2012. And I wouldn't be totally shocked it C Wood is gone as well.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Andrew Brandt says he would be shocked if Rodgers doesnt have anew deal in place in 20103..

I didn't realize we had Rodgers under contract for so long... almost 18,000 years! By then, Aaron will likely own all the QB records in the book (except for Favre's INT record). :p

Latest posts