Whats happening to the NFL??

Aa-rodg_is_cool

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so it seems like every year there are a couple of rule changes.. no big deal.. but This year everyones trying to make the game injury free, with rules like no more blindside blocks, No hitting a QB below the knee.. No big hits on WRs anymore.. No bunching up of players on onside kicks because its too dangerous for the players... What is this?? The NFL is getting so freakin soft..

Wards block last year that took out some Bengal would have been illegal.
So what are you supposed to do if your hines now? Give up on the play and let him tackle your man cause you don't wanna get a 15 yard penalty..
Or what if your that dude from the Chiefs who took out Brady? Do you just give up on the play now cause you don't want to be flagged 15 yards for hitting a QB down low? This is just ridiculous.
The NFL is trying to make the game Injury Free but no matter how many rule changes they make it will never be that way, Unless the NFL decides to switch to Flag Football... And while the NFL is making all these rules for safety, there going to add 2 more games to an already long 16 game season. Which = more Injuries. Smart Roger.. reallll smart. Roger Godell is thinking of the fans here and doesn't really care about the players.

Can't wait till next years rule changes!! :mad:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
i think your misunderstanding the rules..

A defensive player on the ground may no longer lunge or dive at the quarterback's lower legs
I think its stupid, cuz the guy can still tackle q/b low just has to be from a standing position...this it to protect the highest paid player on each team (or one of THE highest paid) owners are trying to protect their investments

A blindside block cannot be delivered with a helmet, shoulder or forearm to an opponent's head or neck. Contact to the head of a defenseless receiver will also draw a 15-yard penalty.
why is that bad??? I agree its getting soft but a guy that doesnt see a hit coming isnt prepared for his to be ripped off..

GJ85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea I think the Pack would look good with green and gold flags hanging off their sides, give it a few years maybe thats what it will come to :lol:

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aa-rodg_is_cool said:
Or what if your that dude from the Chiefs who took out Brady? Do you just give up on the play now cause you don't want to be flagged 15 yards for hitting a QB down low? This is just ridiculous.

"That dude" put his helmet on Brady's knee ON PURPOSE! He was trying to hurt him. It wasn't an attempt to tackle an opposing player. He used his helmet as a weapon to inflict injury sufficient to incapacitate the QB, not prevent him from making one particular throw.

The Steelers did it to Carson Palmer in the '05 playoffs. He hasn't been the same since. Players' careers are at stake & shouldn't be cheapened by selfish imps trying to make a name for themselves.

For crying out loud Jared Allen did it to Matt Schaub twice in the same game in '08. It's a cheap tactic & I'm glad to see the league finally making defenders accountable for their actions.

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
Aa-rodg_is_cool said:

"That dude" put his helmet on Brady's knee ON PURPOSE! He was trying to hurt him. It wasn't an attempt to tackle an opposing player. He used his helmet as a weapon to inflict injury sufficient to incapacitate the QB, not prevent him from making one particular throw.

The Steelers did it to Carson Palmer in the '05 playoffs. He hasn't been the same since. Players' careers are at stake & shouldn't be cheapened by selfish imps trying to make a name for themselves.

For crying out loud Jared Allen did it to Matt Schaub twice in the same game in '08. It's a cheap tactic & I'm glad to see the league finally making defenders accountable for their actions.

I totally agree with this.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
despite what you guys believe whether they tried to injure them or not.. your not the person who was making the tackle therefore you do not know what they were trying to do.. so pretty much if you fall down you cannot make a tackle on the qb.. i think its really stupid because you know how hard it is for those big dlinemen to try and get back up to make a play.. it would take way too long and i think this just ruined the game of football that much more

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
For crying out loud Jared Allen did it to Matt Schaub twice in the same game in '08.
Another reason to hate Jared Allen. And I really really do. No real reason for it, I hated him when he was in Kansas City too. I just think he comes off as cocky and sort of a ******.

Of course, now it doesn't help that he's wearing purple.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Carson Palmer tackle still would be legal..

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/25/pereira-discusses-quarterback-strike-zone/

That said, defensive players are still permitted to hit a quarterback low if the defender is coming off a block, just as Kimo von Oelhoffen did more than three years ago, when he blew up Carson Palmer’s plant knee early in a playoff game.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2006/05/12/BL2006051200785_pf.html

The hit by von Oelhoffen played a major role in prompting a crackdown, ordered by the NFL's competition committee this offseason, on low hits on quarterbacks. But even while ordering the ban, competition committee members conceded that the hit on Palmer was not illegal and would not have drawn a penalty even under the new, more restrictive rule, for von Oelhoffen was blocked into Palmer on the play.

OP
OP
A

Aa-rodg_is_cool

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
Aa-rodg_is_cool said:

haha on purpose?? It had nothing to do with him trying to make a play??

Rodgersfan1985

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All because prettty boy Tom "IM SO WONDERFUL" Brady got hurt. I agree that it is tough for a a lineman to get back on his feet and make a play on a QB who is OBVIOUSLY goona out run him. What happened to old school football where injuries are common. I mean cmon these boys make millions and millions of dollars, there should be a little risk involved with playing in the NFL. I mean when peppers cheap shotted rodgers on the side line yeah it was cheap but it was peppers way of letting him know "you better quit hittin that side line or Im goona punish you" and did you see rodgers hit the side line any time for the remainder of the game, I dont think so.
Plays like that change the tempo of the game. i love big hits as a football fan wherever or how ever they come. Thats why alot of ppl watch football is for the hits. Alls Im saying is yea make some small rules here and there, but dont totally protect the players lik TOM BRADY. And cmon if it wasnt for that injury Matt Cassel wouldnt have even existed in the NFL haha

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Rodgersfan1985 said:
I mean cmon these boys make millions and millions of dollars, there should be a little risk involved with playing in the NFL.
Owners also invest millions of dollars in these players. It's called protecting your investments. And as far as the NFL sees it, it's called putting the best product out on the field every week.

I generally have no problem with making the game safer. The way it was, with wedges on kickoffs and whatnot, someone was going to die out there sooner or later.

ksios

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Football is a violent game." I have heard that so many times when a player gets hurt. REALLY...FOOTBALL...A VIOLENT GAME? ARE THEY SERIOUS? No kidding, that's what makes football not baseball. anytime you have a 200-300 lb people crashing into each other at full speed, things happen...bad things. I'm all for some of the rules enforced as to reduce the chance of injury, such has the horse collar, and chop blocking. but tackling a qb low is a penalty? If this keeps up, they will be playing in skirts and throwing a nerf ball. The last thing most players want to do is injure a fellow player, but it does happen. An example would be the horse collar penalty. It is illegal to do but yet it still happens, not as much but yet it still does. My point is that players will still be exposed to injury as long as the game is tackle football. Stop making extra penalties that will slow down the game and do very little to stop injuries from happening. We know that the league is trying to give the offense as much of an edge as they can, because fans love lots of points. I think it is getting to be over the top with rules. Pretty soon you will need to have lawyers as refs so they can interpret the rules.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
I'm not sure i'd like to see any of those boys in a skirt...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ksios said:
"Football is a violent game." I have heard that so many times when a player gets hurt. REALLY...FOOTBALL...A VIOLENT GAME? ARE THEY SERIOUS? No kidding, that's what makes football not baseball. anytime you have a 200-300 lb people crashing into each other at full speed, things happen...bad things. I'm all for some of the rules enforced as to reduce the chance of injury, such has the horse collar, and chop blocking. but tackling a qb low is a penalty? If this keeps up, they will be playing in skirts and throwing a nerf ball. The last thing most players want to do is injure a fellow player, but it does happen. An example would be the horse collar penalty. It is illegal to do but yet it still happens, not as much but yet it still does. My point is that players will still be exposed to injury as long as the game is tackle football. Stop making extra penalties that will slow down the game and do very little to stop injuries from happening. We know that the league is trying to give the offense as much of an edge as they can, because fans love lots of points. I think it is getting to be over the top with rules. Pretty soon you will need to have lawyers as refs so they can interpret the rules.
Man, that rule is just dumb. The Ratio Legis is to penalize a player when he has the intention on hurting the QB (which DOES happen, unfortunately...). WHY DO WE HAVE 121245 CAMERAS SPREAD THROUGH THE FIELD? Just watch the movement of the player in slowmo, if he lays his head he's trying to hurt the QB. If it happens accidentaly, then it's an accident.The judges have to interpretate some times, it's not like this is rocket science... I trully think that 75% of the time a lineman goes for the legs he doesn't hurt the QB, and 90% of the time he's not trying to hurt. It's VERY DIFFERENT from the horse collar, and that rule just kills a perfectly fine move, and cripples the linemen. We're gonna see a drop in the sack numbers.

And btw, you're right. They are trying to make matches with more points. Soon enough there'll be like 8 players a team, in a 85ft by 200ft indoors field whitout sidelines, and NOBODY wants to see that... :p

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's plenty of YouTube clips available & they plainly show Bernie Pollard diving at the left knee of a defenseless QB, helmet first. How effective is a tackler who doesn't use his hands?

Pollard aimed his helmet & hit Brady's knee exactly where he planned on hitting it. Wouldn't Pollard's out-stretched arms have been a more effective tool for tackling?

What I find interesting is the reaction afterward of the RB who was attempting block Pollard. He gets up & is gesturing to the ref in disbelief that a flag hasn't been thrown, as if he has witnessed a blatant attempt to injure, not just tackle someone.

As for Spanish Rose, watch the video of this again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji3iVpsel3I&feature=related

It's obvious that Pollard is aiming directly at the QB's knee, helmet first. Cheap play. If it happened to a Packer at Lambeau the fans would riot.

Reaction score
"That dude" put his helmet on Brady's knee ON PURPOSE! He was trying to hurt him. It wasn't an attempt to tackle an opposing player. He used his helmet as a weapon to inflict injury sufficient to incapacitate the QB, not prevent him from making one particular throw."

like every d line in the nfl is trying to hurt qb they might want to sack him and hurt the guy but to try to thrash his helmet on some ones kneww i find that hard to believe. he was running to sack him goty knocked down on the ground and lunged to attempt to sack him there was no intention on hurting the guy

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
"That dude" put his helmet on Brady's knee ON PURPOSE! He was trying to hurt him. It wasn't an attempt to tackle an opposing player. He used his helmet as a weapon to inflict injury sufficient to incapacitate the QB, not prevent him from making one particular throw."

Aaron rodgers is god said:
like every d line in the nfl is trying to hurt qb they might want to sack him and hurt the guy but to try to thrash his helmet on some ones kneww i find that hard to believe. he was running to sack him goty knocked down on the ground and lunged to attempt to sack him there was no intention on hurting the guy

Need more evidence of what defenders will try to get away with? Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3POT8n2Qk3g&feature=related

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
The Carson Palmer tackle still would be legal..

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/25/pereira-discusses-quarterback-strike-zone/

That said, defensive players are still permitted to hit a quarterback low if the defender is coming off a block, just as Kimo von Oelhoffen did more than three years ago, when he blew up Carson Palmer’s plant knee early in a playoff game.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2006/05/12/BL2006051200785_pf.html

[quote:1g5rll7a]The hit by von Oelhoffen played a major role in prompting a crackdown, ordered by the NFL's competition committee this offseason, on low hits on quarterbacks. But even while ordering the ban, competition committee members conceded that the hit on Palmer was not illegal and would not have drawn a penalty even under the new, more restrictive rule, for von Oelhoffen was blocked into Palmer on the play.
[/quote:1g5rll7a]

Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGcNRb5WI1g & try to make us believe the defender doesn't deliberately dive into the knee of the QB. The O-lineman is just standing there, he just releases his block, doesn't even slightly alter the defenders path to Palmer's knee.

If the league can't watch that video evidence & conclude that the defender created his own momentum to the QB with no assistance from the O-lineman, something is incredibly wrong with the NFL rules committee.

I don't agree with the refs having to police the game so much. The league should fine the players heavily, a percentage of their game checks maybe, in order to make it equal for each player.

However it does somewhat prevent retaliation by the opponent when the offender gets the big 15-yarder.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
you dont see the o-lman hands push him?

i agree, it was pretty ugly on what he did...but it was not like the Brady tackle..He was not on the ground and as I read the rule it still would be a legal tackle

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
There's plenty of YouTube clips available & they plainly show Bernie Pollard diving at the left knee of a defenseless QB, helmet first. How effective is a tackler who doesn't use his hands?

Pollard aimed his helmet & hit Brady's knee exactly where he planned on hitting it. Wouldn't Pollard's out-stretched arms have been a more effective tool for tackling?

What I find interesting is the reaction afterward of the RB who was attempting block Pollard. He gets up & is gesturing to the ref in disbelief that a flag hasn't been thrown, as if he has witnessed a blatant attempt to injure, not just tackle someone.

As for Spanish Rose, watch the video of this again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji3iVpsel3I&feature=related

It's obvious that Pollard is aiming directly at the QB's knee, helmet first. Cheap play. If it happened to a Packer at Lambeau the fans would riot.
no way in hell by watching that video im convinced that he was trying to hurt brady. He was clearly lounging to make the tackle.. you have to be somewhat a little crazy to belive because he lounged at his legs to make a tackle he was trying to injure him.. let me ask you this, if that was you on the ground trying to make a sack what else would you have done different.. i played football and i'll tell you that that is exactly what i would have done to get the sack

Rodgersfan1985

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta agree with spanish rose on this one, that olineman is all over him when he makes the play. And I woulda done the same play in my high school days as well.

WoodyG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL players are bigger, stronger & faster than at anytime in NFL history. There are more players that end up on the DL per season than ever in NFL history. The average career length in the NFL has gone down dramatically in the last 20 years.
If you want the very best players on the field for an entire season, you have to protect them. How much would you enjoy watching GB play if AR & G. Jennings were on the DL for most of the 2009 season ??

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
again, the rule is if the defender is on the ground he can not hit low...

stop worrying if its at the knee or not,or if on purpose.

Kimo von Oelhoffen tackle on Palmer would still be legal

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A player's out-stretched arms arrive quicker than the crown of his helmet. If he was trying to disrupt the play his hands would have been more effective. Pollard chose the crown of his helmet & the most critical point of a QB's leg to be the point of impact. These are the best athletes in the world who have tremendous control over what they do with their bodies on the football field. Pollard knew exactly what the consequences were of attacking Brady in such a manner. Don't be naive.

I see the Bengal O-lineman releasing the Steeler DT outward, not into Palmer. The defenders path to the QB is not altered enough by the O-lineman, IMO, to be defined as being "blocked into the QB". The O-lineman would have to be behind the defender, not off to the side of him. The o-lineman is off to the left side of Palmer & facing the same direction as Palmer. He's releasing his grip on the defender to avoid a holding penalty, not pushing or blocking him toward the QB.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts