What would you change about GB's offseason?

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson takes a lot of heat in the forum. What if u were in his shoes? If you could redo the Packers' offseason what would you do? Include personnel decisions, free agency, draft, training camp, etc. I realize that hindsight is 20-20, so come up with your ideal offseason.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well,

My main priority would have been bringing in some FA offensive linemen. By my count there were somewhere around 70-80 OL free agents available, I would have brought in 2-3 who could have played now so that my draft picks could have had time to develop.

I wouldn't have drafted any OL the first day.

I'd have brought in a FA WR with some experience.

I'd have brought in a younger FA running back or drafted one on the first day.

I'd have brought in someone to improve our pass rush (DE) either through FA or the draft.

I'd have signed or drafted a younger FB.

I'd have signed or drafted a TE who was actually a receiving threat.

I'd have signed a safety other than Manuel.

I'd have signed one of the many FA CBs available and not signed Woodson (that would have allowed me to afford doing everything else I've listed above).

I probably would have hired Bates as HC. Not that I think MM won't be successful, but Bates could just get guys to PLAY.

If TT had even done half of the things above I'll bet we wouldn't be 0-2 at this point. JMHO.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Pop:

I will have to add SIGN A REAL HC, I would have signed Bates or Payton.

But we must understand that our little minds cannot even dream to understand his Holliness The Great and Only Lord TT (4-14) of Green Bay

OP
OP
M

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Hire Jim Bates. He made an below average defense above average last year. Mike McCarthy was the OC for the 49ers. THE 49ER'S!!! Alex Smith had one TD pass.
2. FA - Resign: RB Ahman Green, 3DB Tony Fisher, DE Aaron Kampman,
FB William Henderson
Sign: 1. SS Chris Hope (more expensive than Manuel)
2. DT Maake Kemeaotu (less expensive, similar to Pickett)
3. CB Brian Williams (cheaper than Woodson, hurt Vikings)
4. LB Ben Taylor (depth/ starter really cheap)
5. OG Stephen Neal (Athletic, young, experienced)
3. Draft: I would not change much. Just one major thing. Trade Mark Roman and second round pick to Seahawks for 31st. Trade 31st to Jets for DE John Abraham.
1st. AJ Hawk
2nd. Trade Walker for second, trade down twice, 2. WR Greg Jennings.
3rd. same Abdul Hodge and Jason Spitz. trade KGB and fifth to get a
high 3rd. OT Eric Winston
4th. trade down. CB Will Blackmon
5th OT Ryan O'Callaghan, QB Bruce Gradkowski
6th Johnny Jolly, Tyrone Culver
7th WR Hank Baskett
4. Training Camp: Sign DT Grady Jackson to a cheap contract (He's a fan favorite). I would not sign WR Koren Robinson after he was cut. I would trade Ben Taylor and a 2007 4th rounder to NO for Donte Stallworth.

This took a while but here it is:
QBs: Favre, Rodgers, Gradkowski
RBs: Green, Gado, Fisher (3rd down)
FB: Henderson, Bernstein (UDFA)
WR: Driver, Stallworth, Jennings, Ferguson, Baskett
TE: Franks, Martin, Lee
OT: Clifton, Tausher, Winston, O'Callaghan
OG: Neal, Spitz, Moll, Palmer (waivers)
OC: Wells, White
DT: Kemeaotu, Jackson, Jenkins, Jolly, Cole
DE: Kampman, Abraham, Montgomery, Hunter
WIL: Hawk, Terna Nande (waivers)
MIKE: Hodge, Manning
SAM: Barnett, Poppinga
CB: Harris, Williams, Carroll, Blackmon, Bush
FS: Collins, Peprah (waivers)
SS: Hope, Culver
K: Rayner P: Ryan

50 players total: add longsnapper, another safety, another DE

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
Well,

My main priority would have been bringing in some FA offensive linemen. By my count there were somewhere around 70-80 OL free agents available, I would have brought in 2-3 who could have played now so that my draft picks could have had time to develop.

I wouldn't have drafted any OL the first day.

I'd have brought in a FA WR with some experience.

I'd have brought in a younger FA running back or drafted one on the first day.

I'd have brought in someone to improve our pass rush (DE) either through FA or the draft.

I'd have signed or drafted a younger FB.

I'd have signed or drafted a TE who was actually a receiving threat.

I'd have signed a safety other than Manuel.

I'd have signed one of the many FA CBs available and not signed Woodson (that would have allowed me to afford doing everything else I've listed above).

I probably would have hired Bates as HC. Not that I think MM won't be successful, but Bates could just get guys to PLAY.

If TT had even done half of the things above I'll bet we wouldn't be 0-2 at this point. JMHO.

Great Post Lare.

I would have done many of the same things.

Popcynical said
Sign Hutch.
Sign Edge.
Sign Arrington.
Sign [insert name of big name, past-his-prime, free-agent here].

That totally would've worked.

Why do people make posts like this? :roll: :-?

Why is it all or nothing with you TT guys? Like there was no other scenario that could have possibly happened except the one that TT chose. All the FA's are either too expensive or over the hill. It's just silly. You can sign FA's without breaking the bank, and make yourself a better team. How do other teams seem to do it while the Pack can't?

Oh wait, you can't..didn't TT sign Woodson? Why isn't everyone pissing and moaning about the waste of money that signing was? It would have been better to use that money towards Hutchinson now wouldn't it have?

Oh wait...Offensive lineman are a dime a dozen according to TT.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
-Try and sign a reliable backup running back, I tagged Seattle's Maurice Morris before FA signing started, and he'd possibly contend for a starting job

-NOT re-sign Najeh Davenport

-Re-signed Tony Fisher

-Attempted negotiation with New Orleans on Donte Stallworth, we could've offered more than the Eagles and still get a heck of a deal,

-Signed a safety other than Manuel, I don't know who was out there, but someone else,
-

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:
Why do people make posts like this? :roll: :-?

Why is it all or nothing with you TT guys? Like there was no other scenario that could have possibly happened except the one that TT chose. All the FA's are either too expensive or over the hill. It's just silly. You can sign FA's without breaking the bank, and make yourself a better team. How do other teams seem to do it while the Pack can't?

Oh wait, you can't..didn't TT sign Woodson? Why isn't everyone pissing and moaning about the waste of money that signing was? It would have been better to use that money towards Hutchinson now wouldn't it have?

Oh wait...Offensive lineman are a dime a dozen according to TT.

Some members on here were indeed crying out for that kind of money to be spent.

I think the main thing I would of done would of been hire Jim Bates as Head Coach and sign someone other than Manuel to play safety or keep Roman. Outside of that I like most of the moves and Woodson hasn't been near as bad as some are making him out to be. He played awful in a meaningless pre season game but against the Bears and Saints he didn't horrible at all. It's the safties that are killing Green Bay more than anything right now.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Longwell didn't want to be here. He wanted to go to a controlled climate, same thing with Adam Vineteri. or however his name is spelled.

We drafted a couple, three actually Offensive lineman. Jim Bates was asked to stay on as DC he chose to step out of the organization. Probably figuring McCarthy will flop and TEd would call him back with a more lucarative offer lol jk i dont know.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Longwell didn't want to be here. He wanted to go to a controlled climate, same thing with Adam Vineteri. or however his name is spelled.

We drafted a couple, three actually Offensive lineman. Jim Bates was asked to stay on as DC he chose to step out of the organization. Probably figuring McCarthy will flop and TEd would call him back with a more lucarative offer lol jk i dont know.

Zero I hope you are a prophet and Ted call Bates as soon as possible

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
Zero2Cool said:

Zero I hope you are a prophet and Ted call Bates as soon as possible

Wouldn't that be some *******? lol I wonder if Bates has even thought about calling Ted to maybe atleast go "Remember what I did with the Dolphins? We beat the Patriots on Monday Night Football after I took over!" lol

I think that was his team that beat the Patriots that year. Yep, it was. 2004 it was week Those very Patriots won the Super Bowl too. Against the Eagles :)

Don't no one say the Patriots didn't have their starters in, they did! They were 12 - 1 going into that game. The Jets were 10 - 4.

Winning that game would have CLINCHED their division. So it was an important game.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
Kinda like spending 52 million on Woodson...mmmmmmm

Yep, It's funny that people say "don't sign high priced FA's" and yet forget about Woodson. He has more question marks than 95% of the available Free Agents had.

mineral723

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
Definitely resigned Ryan Longwell. Drafted an offensive line, hired Jim Bates. Never even thought about Mike McCarthy.
Which rookie linemen would you have drafted? The draft only had 2 immediate impact linemen.
Oh yeah, you DID draft linemen. They're starting.
By the way... How's that working out for you guys?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Yep, It's funny that people say "don't sign high priced FA's" and yet forget about Woodson. He has more question marks than 95% of the available Free Agents had.

That's just YOUR opinion. And facts prove its wrong :)

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
millertime said:
1. Hire Jim Bates.
1st. AJ Hawk
2nd. Trade Walker for second, And draft Lendale White 2. WR Greg Jennings.
3rd. same Abdul Hodge and Jason Spitz. trade KGB and fifth to get Abraham and a
high 3rd. OT Eric Winston
FB: Henderson, Bernstein (UDFA)
WR: Driver, Stallworth, Jennings, Ferguson, Baskett
WIL: Hawk, Terna Nande (waivers)
MIKE: Hodge, Manning
SAM: Barnett, Poppinga

I Like your starting LBers, Stallworth and Abraham over KGB

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
dhpackr said:
Zero2Cool said:
dhpackr said:
signed walker, not woodson.

that's a dream ... walker didnt want to be here :(

Not even for 10 million gaurunteed!!??

He said he would never don a Packers uniform ever again.

i know, he just seems so bitter, and 10 meeeliionnn dooollllaaaars is alot of money to snub your nose at

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:

Yeah Ok, this is a fact, sorry. To say Woodson didn't have question marks is simply just not true, sorry

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
i know, he just seems so bitter, and 10 meeeliionnn dooollllaaaars is alot of money to snub your nose at

I think what really pushed him over was Brett calling him out. I think that kind of put it beyond any chance of him coming back. I think it really hurt his pride.

pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:

Yeah Ok, this is a fact, sorry. To say Woodson didn't have question marks is simply just not true, sorry

So are you recanting your previous statement with this less specific one?

For sure he had question marks. He was coming off an injury, one that was not as bad as Javon Walkers (he wasnt a FA so he doesnt count i know i know). That was a huge question mark. He was also a pro bowler for the first four years of his career I do believe and the last four he was injured. I know his question marks.

You threw out a specific pertentage and if you are gonna do that. Throw some facts with it to support it.

For instance. How many FA were there? How many were coming off a season ending injury? How many were good then bad? How many had their performance changed when the coaching staff changed? Did they start out hot in their career an fizzle in later years?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts