What will it take for Detriot?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What will it take for you to consider Detroit a rival once again?

we used to have games like this believe it or not

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GfJ2-HPUh4]YouTube - Green Bay Packers vs Detroit Lions 1993 NFCWC[/ame]

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"What will it take for you to consider Detroit a rival once again?"

When they start having a winning record.

Big Dan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the "post Millen" era, Detroit seems to be following TT's model for success, and having excellent results thus far. If they can continue to draft well and develop young guys, and IF Stafford can stay healthy, I would think that they'll be a contender within 3 years at the most.

The Vikings bet way too much on this year, will lose a lot of guys after this year, and should be "rebuilding" for a while. The only way that doesn't happen, is if something gets really screwy with the new CBA and allows Wilf to open the wallet and spend "New York Yankees Money." I don't picture that happening.

The Bears are also in a world of hurt, although their record this year has surprised me. They're still paying draft picks for Cutler, and also have a lot of aging veterans. Plus, they have no identity. They were built to run the ball and play defense; all they needed was a QB that wouldn not lose games for them. Grossman, like Favre, can win some games with his arm, but he'll also lose games with poor decisions. He was clearly not the right QB for them. Had they kept Orton, they could have been troublesome. Instead, they went out and spent a ton on Cutler, who is another one like Favre or Grossman. Great arm, weak head. They have an O-line that was built to run, and they bring in a "gunslinger" quarterback... then they compound the error by bringing in Martz. Not only is Martz pass-happy, but his offense relies heavily on precision and timimg.... Cutler's weakest points. I don't think Cutler will ever play well in Martz's system, and they don't have the supporting cast to run Martz's system, or to run a different system that Cutler might be able to play decently in. The QB, O-Coordinator, and the rest of the offense are 3 entirely different entities, with 3 entirely different agendas, heading in 3 entirely different directions. They couldn't have screwed up their offense any worse if they had tried. And I love every minute of it.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lions are coming around they have the talent,and i think next year they will have a better season safford isnt the answer he's hurt again and they say he may be gone for season all that money.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One or two years.
In one or two years, they'll be rivals. I honestly think the close future of the NFCN will have the Packers and the Lions as the main forces. They have the best young talent in the division, and they are the only ones who seem to have a medium-long term plan.

However, I also believe that, in the near future, we'll be the cream of the crop in the entire NFL.

What I see in the next 5-8 years is us winning the division almost every season, the Lions contending for a playoff berth almost every season, and the Bears and Vikings being relevant from time to time.

That, if the management of the teams stay the way they are. Which seems likely.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Lions are very much underrated, people sometimes hold too much stock in a teams record and it is often quite deceptive. They have an excellent secondary, the team just hasn't been able to produce the wins. They should of won the Bears game, they got robbed there. WE almost lost to them.

The problem, and I hate to say this about Stafford, I think they are going to have to invest in a new QB long term. Stafford, unless something changes, appears to be injury prone and that is something that is going to haunt Stafford, and subsequently, the Lions for as long as Stafford remains a Lion. They should get some decent draft picks and if they invest those wisely, look for the Lions to be a force in a couple of years.

They also have injury issues, but as us Pack peeps know, that is beyond their control.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peter King yesterday wrote about this and said he wouldnt start looking for a new QB if he was running the lions. If he didnt show signs of promise he would, but there has been flashes of brilliance. An example of a QB who was injured alot early in his career but later was pretty healthy and successful would be Phil Simms

Members online

Latest posts