What/Who would you like to see the Packers draft?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I saw this out there on the web and I like it:

1) C.J Mosley ILB Alabama/ Ryan Shazier LB OSU

2) Jimmie Ward S Northern Illinois / Deone Bucannon S WSU

3) Trent Murphy OLB Stanford

3) Justin Ellis DT Louisiana Tech

4) Lamin Barrow ILB LSU

5) Brock Vereen S Minnesota

5) Shaq Evans WR Ucla

6) Colt Lyera TE Oregon/ Richard Rodgers TE Cal

7) Jeremy Gallon WR Michigan

I would hope with current roster and signing Jolly that this would help Capers put it together.

Last edited:

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

4) Lamin Barrow ILB LSU

5) Shaq Evans WR Ucla

I would hope with current roster and signing Jolly that this would help Capers put it together.

Maybe my favorite mock I've seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 6794

4) Lamin Barrow ILB LSU

5) Shaq Evans WR Ucla

Maybe my favorite mock I've seen

The team needs a FS not another two SS and forget about Lyerla, I guarantee he's not on Thompson's board.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The team needs a FS not another two SS and forget about Lyerla, I guarantee he's not on Thompson's board.

The word on Ward is that he can play either safety position and would probably serve better as free safety as his body might not hold up in the box play in and play out. He runs a 4.4. Many people have him as the best cover safety and ball skills in the draft at safety. Most project him as a "ball hawk" at free safety. He lined up everywhere in college. What is it you don't like about Ward? Just because a guy played some SS in college doesn't mean he can play FS in the NFL. I suppose if you had to have a projected free safety you could throw in Dion Bailey or Terrance Brooks instead.

D

Deleted member 6794

The word on Ward is that he can play either safety position and would probably serve better as free safety as his body might not hold up in the box play in and play out. He runs a 4.4. Many people have him as the best cover safety and ball skills in the draft at safety. Most project him as a "ball hawk" at free safety. He lined up everywhere in college. What is it you don't like about Ward? Just because a guy played some SS in college doesn't mean he can play FS in the NFL. I suppose if you had to have a projected free safety you could throw in Dion Bailey or Terrance Brooks instead.

Ward can be a tick late diagnosing a passing play, gaining depth and digesting route combos, he lacks elite top-end speed and has Inconsistent downfield ball reactions with his back to the throw. In addition he shows lower-body stiffness in space.

Not what I 'm looking for in a FS and I haven't seen projected as FS in the NFL either. Would be fine with Brooks in the 2nd round.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Ward can be a tick late diagnosing a passing play, gaining depth and digesting route combos, he lacks elite top-end speed and has Inconsistent downfield ball reactions with his back to the throw. In addition he shows lower-body stiffness in space.

Not what I 'm looking for in a FS and I haven't seen projected as FS in the NFL either. Would be fine with Brooks in the 2nd round.

There is no way Ward is big enough or strong enough to play in the box at 5'11 190 and 9 reps on bench press. Don't get me wrong I think Ward could be a bit of a reach. There just isn't an abundance of solid free safeties in this draft. Moving back to what you shared earlier I would take Moseley and Brooks all day long, but TT might have to get creative to get both of those guys. Maybe the guy we need isn't currently a free safety coming out of college. Maybe he is currently a corner coming out of draft. Or maybe you take a shot on a guy like Johnathan Dowling FS Western Kentucky in the mid-rounds. Huge upside.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would just like to ask you, agreeing that we need a free safety of course, what would be wrong with drafting a strong safety? IMO we need both. I think Hyde could play FS or SS. But it you have some idea that Burnett is our best option at SS, we need one of those too. Ward could work on everything you mentioned except speed and he does have speed to play free safety. If he was any faster, he'd go in the mid to late 1st.... I think ward could help our defense even if he wound up being a SS. I just wanna know why you think were set at SS and all we need is to think about FS?

D

Deleted member 6794

There is no way Ward is big enough or strong enough to play in the box at 5'11 190 and 9 reps on bench press.

That's why some project him as a corner in the NFL.

Maybe the guy we need isn't currently a free safety coming out of college. Maybe he is currently a corner coming out of draft.

I'd rather draft a guy that played free safety in college. It normally takes these guys some time to make an impact in the NFL, but even longer for a player still having to learn the position.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would just like to ask you, agreeing that we need a free safety of course, what would be wrong with drafting a strong safety? IMO we need both. I think Hyde could play FS or SS. But it you have some idea that Burnett is our best option at SS, we need one of those too. Ward could work on everything you mentioned except speed and he does have speed to play free safety. If he was any faster, he'd go in the mid to late 1st.... I think ward could help our defense even if he wound up being a SS. I just wanna know why you think were set at SS and all we need is to think about FS?

With the contract Burnett signed in 2013 I don't see the Packers getting rid of him after one season and expect MM to start him no matter what. I'd rather line him up at SS though.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That's why some project him as a corner in the NFL.

I'd rather draft a guy that played free safety in college. It normally takes these guys some time to make an impact in the NFL, but even longer for a player still having to learn the position.

Well if that's the case and Ward is destined to be a corner I would rather see TT draft a guy like Mcgill Utah or Jean-Baptiste Nebraska. We already have a few smaller cover-corner types.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if that's the case and Ward is destined to be a corner I would rather see TT draft a guy like Mcgill Utah or Jean-Baptiste Nebraska. We already have a few smaller cover-corner types.

If he's not fast enough to play FS, how could he keep up as a corner?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If he's not fast enough to play FS, how could he keep up as a corner?

Well I think he can play free safety. I just said I thought he wasn't big enough to play in the box and was told some see him as a corner in the NFL. I think he could play in multiple spots in the back end schematically. I just think he could be a reach at Strong Safety coming in due to size.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

Lead the team in tackles in 2012, and excels in man coverage in underneath routes, but not a viable SS. SMH.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lead the team in tackles in 2012, and excels in man coverage in underneath routes, but not a viable SS. SMH.

Okay, I'm not saying he won't excel playing only SS. I'm just saying we need to consider all options and I think ward is worth a look at FS and SS. He would not be a wasted draft choice.

D

Deleted member 6794

he brings versatility which is much needed in NFL.

I don't care about Ward or any other prospect bringing versatility. I want a great FS and I'm fine with it being the only position he's capable of playing as I don't want him to line up anywhere else as long as he allows the Packers to play with only a single safety high.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
You think Burnett is a better fit at FS???
Nope, but I do think he can be an NFL SS, note what I bolded. He played CF for GT, but clearly can't play it effectively in the NFL. Covering TE/RB on underneath routes is the definition of a Shortfielder, or SS. That Burnett can do, and he might be our best option there. I've said it before, if Burnett is the one guy covering your back end, expect to have it aired out.

D

Deleted member 6794

Nope, but I do think he can be an NFL SS, note what I bolded. He played CF for GT, but clearly can't play it effectively in the NFL. Covering TE/RB on underneath routes is the definition of a Shortfielder, or SS. That Burnett can do, and he might be our best option there. I've said it before, if Burnett is the one guy covering your back end, expect to have it aired out.

OK, wasn't sure if I misunderstood something there. As I've said repeatedly I'm fine with Burnett at SS, don't want any part of him at FS.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
OK, wasn't sure if I misunderstood something there. As I've said repeatedly I'm fine with Burnett at SS, don't want any part of him at FS.
He was drafted to PAIR with Collins. That alone says it all: what position he was drafted to play, and what his ideal pairing is. He's not a LOS guy, but he's a great coverage SS with good ball skills

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this because I thought it was somewhat funny. My friend always talks smack on Green Bay. He said we might as well trade up, grab clowney and put him at safety because he'd be better than what we had last year. It's kind of funny because it's probably true when talking about MD and McMillian anyway.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this because I thought it was somewhat funny. My friend always talks smack on Green Bay. He said we might as well trade up, grab clowney and put him at safety because he'd be better than what we had last year. It's kind of funny because it's probably true when talking about MD and McMillian anyway.

Rather try it with Shazier.

Members online

Latest posts