What we need to do in free agency for next year.

GB2009

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year, everyone was pissed at Ted Thompson because he didn't sign free agents: Chris Canty or Igor Olshansky. In '08, the D-line had injuries to Cullen Jenkins, Johnny Jolly, and Ryan Pickett. Yet in '09 they remained pretty healthy and played at a high level.

So this year everyone is probably going to be pissed if Ted Thompson doesn't shore up the D-backfield, but I think Ted Thompson needs to do the opposite. He needs to shore up the D-line. The D-backfield will get guys back from injuries, so we'll be okay. But next year how can we expect Jenkins, Jolly, and Pickett to remain healthy after staying relatively healthy this year.

When you look at the free agent D-lineman that will be free agents... a few names jump out.
Richard Seymour
Vince Wilfork
Aubrayo Franklin

If Ted Thompson signed one of these 3 guys and with Raji having a year of experience, I think we'll again have a dominate D-line that can compete with the likes of the Vikings D-line.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Thats a good point. I think when you look at our team there are two obvious areas that need improvement. Our offensive and our defensive backfield. Specifically a safety opposite Nick Collins, and some young talent at cornerback. Woodson and Harris are solid but for how much longer? However we fill these two needs remains to be seen, either free agency or via the draft....it doesn't matter, but these areas to me, are the most important things to fix for the Pack. I can't wait to see what happens in the draft this year.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Although I must admit having any of the three d-lineman listed above would be awesome. I am hesitant to get a defensive lineman via free agency however. Last time we got a big splash d-lineman in such a way was Joe Johnson, and we all know how well that turned out. I don't think its an area we really need to address at this point.

OP
OP
G

GB2009

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I must admit having any of the three d-lineman listed above would be awesome. I am hesitant to get a defensive lineman via free agency however. Last time we got a big splash d-lineman in such a way was Joe Johnson, and we all know how well that turned out. I don't think its an area we really need to address at this point.

You're right in the sense of Joe Johnson, but that was Mike Sherman. Last year we didn't think that we needed to shore up the defensive backfield and look at what happened. Injuries come in the places that you least expect it. Injuries don't occur in the same positions year after year. Last year was the D-line. This year was the D-backfield. Next year will probably be the D-line again.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bush and the injuries to our secondary hides our true needs on defense. We need another legit pass rusher from our front 7. Yes another lineman would work, but another LB would solve the problem as well.

We get better at stopping the run and put some pressure on the better QBs in the league, a lot of our secondary problems will go away.

The defensive line is interesting, with (big maybe) Harrell coming back to full health and Raji taking a big second step in his second year along with the others we will have a better year than last without doing anything. I really think replacing Hawk with a dynamic and more athletic pass rusher would do the trick. Another pass rushing outside LB would also do the trick opposite of Mathews.

I do not think help in the secondary over rides another pass rusher in our front 7.

OP
OP
G

GB2009

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bush and the injuries to our secondary hides our true needs on defense. We need another legit pass rusher from our front 7. Yes another lineman would work, but another LB would solve the problem as well.

We get better at stopping the run and put some pressure on the better QBs in the league, a lot of our secondary problems will go away.

The defensive line is interesting, with (big maybe) Harrell coming back to full health and Raji taking a big second step in his second year along with the others we will have a better year than last without doing anything. I really think replacing Hawk with a dynamic and more athletic pass rusher would do the trick. Another pass rushing outside LB would also do the trick opposite of Mathews.

I do not think help in the secondary over rides another pass rusher in our front 7.

Maybe we should move Hawk opposite of Matthews and just let him rush the passer. Hawk can't cover anybody, so limit his chances of making mistakes. This way at least he'll be 3 yards closer to not making a play on the ball instead of 5-7 yards.:smile2:

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
You're right in the sense of Joe Johnson, but that was Mike Sherman. Last year we didn't think that we needed to shore up the defensive backfield and look at what happened. Injuries come in the places that you least expect it. Injuries don't occur in the same positions year after year. Last year was the D-line. This year was the D-backfield. Next year will probably be the D-line again.

Theres no real way to say for sure where injuries might occur next season. I think its more important to patch holes where they currently exist. You are right though, I would love to have a little more depth on our defensive line. Who knows though....maybe Anthony Toribio will pan out. I mean, if the Dolphins didn't want him, he's got to be great. (That last bit was totally sarcasm by the way)

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Last year, everyone was pissed at Ted Thompson because he didn't sign free agents: Chris Canty or Igor Olshansky. In '08, the D-line had injuries to Cullen Jenkins, Johnny Jolly, and Ryan Pickett. Yet in '09 they remained pretty healthy and played at a high level.

So this year everyone is probably going to be pissed if Ted Thompson doesn't shore up the D-backfield, but I think Ted Thompson needs to do the opposite. He needs to shore up the D-line. The D-backfield will get guys back from injuries, so we'll be okay. But next year how can we expect Jenkins, Jolly, and Pickett to remain healthy after staying relatively healthy this year.

When you look at the free agent D-lineman that will be free agents... a few names jump out.
Richard Seymour
Vince Wilfork
Aubrayo Franklin

If Ted Thompson signed one of these 3 guys and with Raji having a year of experience, I think we'll again have a dominate D-line that can compete with the likes of the Vikings D-line.
One that really jumps out is:

Pickett.

Talking about signing another free agent to shore up a D-line that has one player un-signed for 2010.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My take on FA and Draft:

We MUST get:

A starting LG,
A good backup CB,
A good backup S,
A good backup LT,
A starting ILB,
A backup OLB,
A punter
and a KR.
Those are musts. And considering we keep the DL we already have, that Tauscher stays, and that Bigby stays (don't know if he's a FA if it's an uncapped year).

We COULD get:
A complementary RB,
A future starting CB,
A future starting LT,
A future starting OLB,
A kicker to compete with Crosby (some may consider a must),
A stud DL,
A starting SS and
A veteran backup QB.
Those are positions that could either secure our future at those positions or immediately improve our team in those areas, but that in my view aren't necessary to or immediate sucess.

How we get those, I don't care. If one of our current guys (Lang, Bishop, Jones, Pat Lee...) develops into one, the better.

But I believe we'll have to adress them both in FA AND at the Draft.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might not be that easy to sign quality free agents this off-season if we don't get a new CBA. If we have an uncapped year, lots of players will lose out on unrestricted free agent status. Just about all of the decent FA's will be restricted.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Dear Ted,

Bring me Aubrayo Franklin. Thanks.

If I remember right, he was beastish against the run this year. And nobody's ever heard of him, so he could come fairly cheap.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score

Richard Seymour
Vince Wilfork
Aubrayo Franklin

Good topic Jess. I think Wilfork would be a perfect fit but I see us re-signing Pickett. If there is no CBA (and it sure looks like there won't be one) then I don't see much FA activity. The crop of worthwhile guys will be thinned dramatically.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Good topic Jess. I think Wilfork would be a perfect fit but I see us re-signing Pickett. If there is no CBA (and it sure looks like there won't be one) then I don't see much FA activity. The crop of worthwhile guys will be thinned dramatically.
Thanks!

even though it wasn't me.

:p

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pickett is one of the best NT in the league. There's no point in getting another one.

What we need is a DL that can collapse the pocket. Jenkins when healthy can do it. And I hope Raji develops into one.

Jolly has amazing ball skills for a DL, but has absolutely zero pass rushing ability.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He shocked me with how stout he was at the point this year. I had my doubts going in to the season how well he'd make the switch from 43 DT to 34 NT and he was awesome.
I thought he was garbage (as I did with every DT we had). I was astonished at how much difference the scheme did for him.

He shouldn't be anywhere near the field during passing downs, but I honestly don't know a better guy against the run in the league. He's a beast.