What to do with Mason Crosby?

12theTruth

There's a reason Brown isn't on a team right now. His leg is significantly weaker the last couple years. Patience is key.

Josh Brown may no longer have the big leg but I'd put his accuracy over Crosby's any day. Mason had a bye to push the reset button, etc. He was worse today. The snaps looked solid. Maybe it was the laces though? . Maybe it is on Crosby after all, though you'd hardly think thats possible with all the apologists making excuses for him. Remember --- season long issues..... Masthay and Goode both are the same this year as from last year when Crosby hit for 80+%.

Patience may NOT be enough as it is VERY easy to place an insurance policy on the practice squad in the advent that Crosby doesn't reverse course.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'll bounce back; he's a seriously gifted kicker (God, help me). Though I'm not sure I've seen a kicker of his caliber go through this kind of slump. It's gotten pretty god-damn old.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been upset with him,but felt bad when I saw his face thinking he made the 38 yarder,then when he had to make the 39 yarder I wasn't confident he would make it but he was determined and he got us the point,feel that will be his starting point,and he will be ready for the Giants I have faith:)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

People forget that he is amazing at onside kicks and kickoffs still. And people seemed to love him when he had 17 field goals in a row. Its because of the haters themselves that he is doing bad. Confidence is the most important thing when kicking.
Sorry, total rubbish !! How can it be the fans fault he has become such a dud ??? He needs to get his act together ASAP. Spend some more time on the damn practise field if thats what it takes. He is paid good money, and it`s about time he earned it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, total rubbish !! How can it be the fans fault he has become such a dud ??? He needs to get his act together ASAP. Spend some more time on the damn practise field if thats what it takes. He is paid good money, and it`s about time he earned it.

Maybe they meant only the haters are causing this up roar?

I

Maybe they meant only the haters are causing this up roar?
As usual, you are the voice of reason, but I think its fair to say the guy is just not doing what he`s paid WELL to do Bud ! I, and I would suspect quite a few others have NO faith in his ability to get at least 3 points for us on a drive anymore.

I

Before it creates a problem, I apologise for my remark. I don`t want to fall out with ANY Packer fans over anything, we get enough crap off other teams, but I have to stand by my comment that Crosby is responsible for his own ability. He is failing to deliver, and if ANY of us on here did not deliver in OUR jobs, we`d probably be in the bosses office, getting the dressing down we`d deserve. Rant over

Reaction score
I didn't hear anybody complaining when hit 2 game winners/hit a 58 yarder.

McCarthy said he had a great week of practice. It just came down to actually missing in the game.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby is not some rookie that lacks what it takes to handle NFL pressure. He has proven that much with his Super Bowl win. Not a BJ Sander or Brian Brohm by any stretch. And in his very first game (in 2007) he won it for us with a game winning 42 yarder (2 seconds left) and also a 53 yarder and was awarded NFC Special Teams Player of the Week.

Priority here is to get him back in the groove - that is the best route. And he has the mental toughness to get back I think, unless there is some unknown physical problem. If that can not happen in a few games, then we need to look elsewhere.

Keep in mind also, that the very last kick he made was possibly for his career. That is some big-time pressure to be under.

I

I didn't hear anybody complaining when hit 2 game winners/hit a 58 yarder.

McCarthy said he had a great week of practice. It just came down to actually missing in the game.
So are you saying because he did it in the past, he doesn`t deserve critisism for his failures now ???

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All he does is kick!!!! that's it people...he's not throwing the ball, he's not tackling, blocking, catching passes, he kicks the entire practice. His issue is mental point blank. You can look at his body language and see he doesn't wanna even attempt a FG....that's not a good sign, especially when we need point's on the board and he's going out there missing very makeable kicks. I guarantee you he was in the coaching office this morning 1 on 1 with MM. The LAST thing you need is a head case at kicker. I like Crosby i really do but this is a job...a job he gets paid well for. He's still got a job because of his past accolades...that is it because he would have been cut in any other circumstance.

Reaction score
So are you saying because he did it in the past, he doesn`t deserve critisism for his failures now ???
Did I say that? Absolutely not. But people are overreacting. It's called slump. He will get out of it. He's a proven kicker. He didn't lose his ability to kick.

I

Did I say that? Absolutely not. But people are overreacting. It's called slump. He will get out of it. He's a proven kicker. He didn't lose his ability to kick.
I take your point, and dont want to fall out over it mate, but have we got the time on our side for him to get his act together ?. If we get to the playoffs, one miss could cost us the entire season. Can we afford that ?

H

HardRightEdge

I think Siefert said it best:

"Crosby has put McCarthy in a tough spot, considering the risk involved in replacing a kicker on a playoff-bound team this late in the season. Quite frankly, there are no obvious solutions available. McCarthy's best bet is to hold tight and hope Crosby will straighten himself out, much as he did in 2009 -- when he had a stretch of four misses in 10 attempts. What's impossible to know is how long McCarthy will let this go. Would Crosby have to blow a game before he would be replaced? Kicking is as mental as any task on a football field, and a kicker can "find it" as quickly as he "loses it." But other than positive thinking, I'm not sure anyone in the organization knows how this will play out."

Given MM's post-game statements, it looks like it will take a "last straw" moment to make a change, as Siefert suggests...something like an easy miss that costs a big game.

Crosby has never been a great kicker...on balance, over his career, about average, maybe a little better than average. A couple of good years; some not so hot. He's had other head issues besides the 2009 cold spell. In 2010, he was one of the worst kickers in the league in touchback %. I thought we should have replaced him in the 2011 draft or with a FA on that basis alone rather than give him a new contract. Then they moved the line up 5 yards and he logs one of the best touchback % in the league in 2011. 5 yards making that kind of difference would suggest "head" issues were at work in 2010.

For now, everybody just watches and waits to see if he can snap out of it.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Siefert said it best:

"Crosby has put McCarthy in a tough spot, considering the risk involved in replacing a kicker on a playoff-bound team this late in the season. Quite frankly, there are no obvious solutions available. McCarthy's best bet is to hold tight and hope Crosby will straighten himself out, much as he did in 2009 -- when he had a stretch of four misses in 10 attempts. What's impossible to know is how long McCarthy will let this go. Would Crosby have to blow a game before he would be replaced? Kicking is as mental as any task on a football field, and a kicker can "find it" as quickly as he "loses it." But other than positive thinking, I'm not sure anyone in the organization knows how this will play out."

Given MM's post-game statements, it looks like it will take a "last straw" moment to make a change, as Siefert suggests...something like an easy miss that costs a big game.

Crosby has never been a great kicker...on balance, over his career, about average, maybe a little better than average. A couple of good years; some not so hot. He's had other head issues besides the 2009 cold spell. In 2010, he was one of the worst kickers in the league in touchback %. I thought we should have replaced him in the 2011 draft or with a FA on that basis alone rather than give him a new contract. Then they moved the line up 5 yards and he logs one of the best touchback % in the league in 2011. 5 yards making that kind of difference would suggest "head" issues were at work in 2010.

For now, everybody just watches and waits to see if he can snap out of it.

Finally someone gets it right. I didn't remember the guy being the great kicker some were saying.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems as though some of you are sharpening your pitchforks and getting your torches ready for this witch hunt. For the millionth time, I think that I'm very thankful that the masses on this forum aren't steering (or over-steering) the ship!

Chill out. The only real way to address this situation is to bring in a load of competition next summer. Making a mid-season change at FG kicker sounds easy but it's not worth it.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Normally, Mason Crosby is solid from inside the 30 (47 yards or less).

Most of his problems come on long range field goals (50-plus). And when he misses a couple of those kicks, then it affects his 40-49 yarders. Then he's all messed up.

Mike McCarthy just needs to baby this guy. Unless it's a must, no kicks from beyond the 30-YARD-LINE. Either go for it or play a field-possession game with the punt.

H

HardRightEdge

Normally, Mason Crosby is solid from inside the 30 (47 yards or less).

Most of his problems come on long range field goals (50-plus). And when he misses a couple of those kicks, then it affects his 40-49 yarders. Then he's all messed up.

Mike McCarthy just needs to baby this guy. Unless it's a must, no kicks from beyond the 30-YARD-LINE. Either go for it or play a field-possession game with the punt.

Simple, accurate and with a solution to boot. Somebody needs to forward this on to McCarthy. Seriously.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
What to do with Mason Crosby?? IMHO, get off his a**. He'll come around ... same with Finley. Sure, each missed kick or dropped ball seems like the end of the world at the moment it's happening and sure, Crosby might cause the Packers a game with a missed kick ... he won't be the first and he won't be the last - I've never been really enamored with Mason's form, I mean the minute that ball leaves his foot, that sucker is zigging and zagging apparently out of control - sort of like a knuckle ball pitch in baseball -- the best thing for all involved is to just get off his as*.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby has failed usually when it's the biggest moment, other than his first game ever to beat Philly. I thought he showed the clutch gene then. But he usually has been wide in all do-or-die situations since then.

Now he's missing non-crucial kicks.....

Aikman mentioned the comparison to golf, and he's right on the money there. I play golf, work in the golf industry, and it is very similar. Not only to putting, but the big shot, the driver.

Some guys pull hook them when the pressure is on the line. Some push them right. See Brandt Snedeker on the 18th hole on day one of this year's Ryder Cup. This guy the week before had won the individual Fed Ex Cup and $10 million.

But on hole 18, playing with his teammate vs the European team, tied going to the 18th hole, he choked and hit it so far right, they were dead with a bogie.

Some guys have problems and keep hitting them right. Or left. Then they compensate and hit it into the other side rough or hazard.

Crosby is that guy right now. He's hitting them where they start right and then slice right. Then he starts it left, and it hooks left. He's not controlling which way it moves..... I am just wondering why he can't kick the f***** ball end over end where it goes straight. Stop trying to fade or draw the ball. Kick the thing straight.

This guy was a legend in college. And we are seeing that was because he kicked in the thin air at Boulder for Colorado. Since then, he's been below average on long kicks. Certainly he's no Robbie Gould or Rob Bironas or the Rams rookie, or Sebastien Janikowski, etc. I wonder why he's getting paid like a top-10 kicker though.

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guess I hold the minority view but I have NEVER had much confidence in Crosby from the beginning. Just not reliable in the clutch in my opinion. Not going to be any changes now, it is what it is and he is the kicker (this season anyway). Lucky I'm a minority owner or he would already be looking for work. Only hope we don't get in a position where he spells the difference. Get everyone healthy and playing up to ability and he will not be a factor.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guess I hold the minority view but I have NEVER had much confidence in Crosby from the beginning. Just not reliable in the clutch in my opinion. Not going to be any changes now, it is what it is and he is the kicker (this season anyway). Lucky I'm a minority owner or he would already be looking for work. Only hope we don't get in a position where he spells the difference. Get everyone healthy and playing up to ability and he will not be a factor.

He's got the leg, but definitely doesn't have a handle on accuracy. I'm still a little cranky about our loss to the Vikings in Minneapolis in the 2008 season. My brother and I were at that game (actually, so were my mom and dad. Although I got my tickets on my own. Pete and I were upper deck, mom and dad had the cherry seats; midfield, 5 rows behind Packers' bench). Crosby had a chance at, I believe, a 53 yard field goal with no time left, that would've given us a 30-28 win. As usual, he had plenty of leg, and as is all too familiar, he missed the spot. Wide left. And aaaaaaaaaaall the sh*t we took from the brain-dead Vikings fans in the Metrodump.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts