What to do with Kampman

gute

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep him, trade him, franchise him, transition him - what do we do. I realize the season is not over and it is possible that Kampman will pick-up the 3-4 and play well, but I have my doubts. We have read the rumors about STL RB Jackson to GB (no way, it would cost STL too much) and Al Davis trading off his team. What would make it worth it for GB. I reason trading for Michael Bush might be worth it. Kampman: great character, hard worker, pro bowler, 29 years old. Bush: great athlete, would have been high first round pick if not for the injury, a need. Is it a fair swap? What more would we need? Could we actually do this to Kampman (poor guy)?

Kampman to Houston is a possibility, but we would not get anything higher then a 1 so would it be worth it. Houston has DE needs, but they do not have anything to offer except maybe their LT - right.

Trade with Tampa? Kampman would stay in the conference (something TT would not like) and Tampa has a couple guys they might part with. LT Donald Penn, RT Trueblood (more likely).

Atlanta? Kampman for RT Claybo - I would not mess with Ryan's health, but maybe they have another they feel could play RT.

TEN? Kampman for Young (kidding)?

Wait til the seasons over and tag Kampman then workout a trade. But why wait. He most likely would be replaced by a combination of Mathews, Poppinga and Thompson. Could they play worse (not that Kampman has played bad - average-why could they not play average)?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'm probably going to be in the minority here...but...regardless of his 'trade value' ... Kampmann SHOULD be on that field be it in a linebacker role OR at DE... small for the position in a 3-4 to be sure, but let's not forget that HE and he alone has been the only Packer currently on the roster who has shown an ability to get to the QB.

On top of that, he could very well the Packer with the BIGGEST football heart. The guy just goes out and plays his *** off ... a few years back, someone coined and proceeded to beat to death, the term "Packer People" (personally, I think whomever coined it should be run out in the street and shot like a dog), Kampmann's picture is alongside the definition of "Packer People".

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman should remain a Packer for the entirety of his career. The Packers just have to use him more effectively than they have so far this season in the new defensive scheme.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He played with his hands down some plays today. One led to a sack. He's not the impact player he is at the 4-3 in the 3-4. But Matthews is making a name for himself. The kid is playing so well... Soon enough, defenses are going to take him into account, and when that happens, Kampman will have a lot of impact. Or maybe Kampman just needs a little more time to addapt at rushing from a 2 point stance. I think he's done good at playing the run and covering (good, nothing major). And today, Capers went a little more creative, wich helped, too.

Pack_Attack_Is_Back

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For once I'm not the minority in one of these threads. I would keep him, and let him get his hands on the ground more during the rest of the season. In the 4-point stance he was able to get the sack, hit Culpepper and hurry Statheford or whatever his name is. I'll agree with the obvious statement that he isn't reliable dropping into coverage, but one of the supposed benefits to the 3-4 is supposed to be the versatility of the system. Let him get those hands down and he'll keep the QBs shaken.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It comes down to what MM and Dom C. want to play. If they don't adjust the defense to where Kampman can put his hand on the ground, then trade him. Its that simple and I think as the season plays on we will start to see the Packers play their own version of the 3-4, playing to the strengths of the players.

I hate lose Kampman but I feel the Pack is siting pretty with him, they keep and use him wisely he is a great player, trade only for big picks or another solid veteran to fill a need. Either way we win.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It comes down to what MM and Dom C. want to play. If they don't adjust the defense to where Kampman can put his hand on the ground, then trade him. Its that simple and I think as the season plays on we will start to see the Packers play their own version of the 3-4, playing to the strengths of the players.

I hate lose Kampman but I feel the Pack is siting pretty with him, they keep and use him wisely he is a great player, trade only for big picks or another solid veteran to fill a need. Either way we win.
totally agree... And we saw him lined up at 3 and 4 point stances a lot more against the Lions. He won't play all the time at those stances, because the scheme Capers use is based on unpredictability.
-
Actually, with Barnett playing better, and with Bigby's return, the team didn't have to commit to the run, to stop it. I think we're going to see a much better D now with them back. Of course, if we had kept Smith, they wouldn't have needed to play so vanilla, and we wouldn't had the problems we had.

Members online

Latest posts