What to do about the 49ers running attack?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as Kaepernick torched us in week one, we halted their run game. We held Gore to 44 yards on 21 attempts, which is outstanding. However, our run defense has gotten much worse as the season has progressed, and now we will be without Matthews. I fully expect Kaepernick to destroy our defense, but I think it's important for us to halt the run game again, I think that's a big reason why we had a chance at winning in week one, as opposed to where we were pretty much out of the game by the 4th quarter in the playoffs last year.

How do you think our run defense will do? Any interesting observations? I've been going back and watching the highlights of our last three loses against the 49ers, trying to figure out what exactly has been the key to our defeats.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would do exactly what we did last time. Load up against the run and dare Colon Kraper**** to throw the ball. He had a great day against us in the first game, but we're better against the pass now than we were then. Burnett is hitting his stride and Tramon is playing like it's 2010 again. Let's see if they can do it when it's zero degrees.

Packers_16-0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would do exactly what we did last time. Load up against the run and dare Colon Kraper**** to throw the ball. He had a great day against us in the first game, but we're better against the pass now than we were then. Burnett is hitting his stride and Tramon is playing like it's 2010 again. Let's see if they can do it when it's zero degrees.
Don't forget in my opinion our best Cb (Sam Shields) is a great cover guy and is starting to be a beast again

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man up and get off blocks. We can load up the box all we want. It won't matter though if players don't do their jobs, like at home against Minnesota and the last drive in the first Bears game when we loaded the box.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If your pass D got better then it's a wash. In week 1 we were without our #1 and #3 receivers. Their replacements were a joke all year long. Now #1 is back and we have what appears to be a promising #3 in Quinton Patton.

Here's what the Packers should do. As soon as the 49ers go up by 2 or more scores, stack freaking everyone in the box, and I'm talking all 11 men. Greg Roman will call plays something like this.... run run run punt, run run run punt, and rinse and repeat until the game is close again.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If your pass D got better then it's a wash.
This whole game is pretty much a wash. You have the #3 offense going against the #5 defense and the #25 offense going against the #24 defense. If we had Rodgers and Cobb all season long, odds are high that we would have finished with 12 wins too. Home field swings the game our way.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what the Packers should do. As soon as the 49ers go up by 2 or more scores, stack freaking everyone in the box, and I'm talking all 11 men. Greg Roman will call plays something like this.... run run run punt, run run run punt, and rinse and repeat until the game is close again.

So it's certain that you'll have a 2 touchdown lead at some point?

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
If we don't tackle a lot better all the D schemes in the world don't mean a thing, tackling seems to be a forgotten art, looks a lot like FEAR at times, SF is a pimple that can be popped, if the "D" puts on their BIG BOY PANTS, and play like a team thats Super Bowl bound, I can go back to my diet of eating crow………….

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

If your pass D got better then it's a wash. In week 1 we were without our #1 and #3 receivers. Their replacements were a joke all year long. Now #1 is back and we have what appears to be a promising #3 in Quinton Patton.

I`ve sent your suggestion to Mike, and he said......................******** ! :tup:

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I don't expect them to "destroy" our D on the ground. They don't normally play in sub zero temps and on frozen turf. It will be harder for a runner to make sharp cuts on that turf, QB or RB...... so kraper**** is gunna have to beat us with his arm....just my guess.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't expect them to "destroy" our D on the ground. They don't normally play in sub zero temps and on frozen turf. It will be harder for a runner to make sharp cuts on that turf, QB or RB...... so kraper**** is gunna have to beat us with his arm....just my guess.

I hope you're right, but I'm really not buying into the whole "the 49ers can't play in the cold because they're not from a cold weather area" theory. I would even be inclined to think that the cold weather fits the style of their football team more than ours.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Exactly, our safety play has improved somewhat and it's a lot tougher to throw the ball in the cold. I'd play 8 men in the box all game long and dare him to throw over the top.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you're right, but I'm really not buying into the whole "the 49ers can't play in the cold because they're not from a cold weather area" theory. I would even be inclined to think that the cold weather fits the style of their football team more than ours.

They don't have an Eddie Lacy, a guy who doesn't need to change direction quickly to churn out yardage.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Also food for thought our run defense did improve markedly against the Bears. Sure they gave up 5 ypc, but this time it was to a very respectable runner. If the success from week 17 continues I'd rank our run defense at bad as opposed to dumpster fire.

Midnight Toker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you? He's not classic power back like Lacy is, now get lost.

You're trying to compare a rookie to Gore. He runs between the tackles all the time. Every game! That's exactly what power backs do. He's ran for over 1000 yards 7 out of the past 8 years, and he did it between the tackles. You'll see some of that sunday In fact gore will outrush lacy Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're trying to compare a rookie to Gore. He runs between the tackles all the time. Every game! That's exactly what power backs do. He's ran for over 1000 yards 7 out of the past 8 years, and he did it between the tackles. You'll see some of that tonight. In fact ogre will outrush lacy Sunday.

The cuts and jump cuts that Mr. Gore is known for are not going to be there on the field surface this weekend. Now get lost.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gore is aging and is not the scary guy he was a few years ago. His rushing yards per attempt dropped this year.

We have the NEW Gore in Rookie of the year Lacy.

Midnight Toker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cuts and jump cuts that Mr. Gore is known for are not going to be there on the field surface this weekend. Now get lost.

Lol. Get lost. And gore is known for both. He gets low and runs between the tackles. They have no power runners other than him and they're a power running offense.

Now get lost. Lol. That's tellin me!

Midnight Toker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gore is aging and is not the scary guy he was a few years ago. His rushing yards per attempt dropped this year.

He's not what he once was but he still churns out 1000 yard seasons. Not bad for a guy with a surgically repaired knee

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Gore still has plenty of gas in the tank. He's faced tough run defenses and 8 men in the box all year long. We also have a new Gore since he's on the tail end of his career. We'll get to see him in action next year. :)

Latest posts