What the Packers fans can learn from the Bears

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not much has changed in the world of NFL football. Indianapolis has an offense that is freakish(led by coordinator Tom Moore, a former Packer)
but the teams heading into the playoffs have two things in common:

they play great defense and they run the ball. When they need to, they pass. Indy was a Super Bowl flop until this year when they found a defense.

The last perfect team...the '73 Dolphins...averaged less than 200 yards passing per game.

The Bears have put together a team that is consistently winning with a rookie QB. Why? Because the other team can't score.

Fast forward one to two years...first read this story.....

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/nov05/372159.asp

Aaron Rodgers is the QB....but the Packers "D" is ranked #1 in the league.

I for one, will be a happy Packers fan, as I've never been a fan of 'outscoring' teams. I love a good, bloody, 13-12 head-knocker with the last player standing the winner.

Bring on the Bears and the ghost of Ray Nitschke!

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we all know a major problem this year was the lack of a running game for the first 7 games. It forced Brett to pass too much and make errant decisions.

There are several games we could have won had we controlled the ball with our running game.

Next year, when Favre returns, with a decent running game and a fine-tuned defense we could be 7-2 at this point, not 2-7.

One thing I want to point out is to all the naysayers who said our defense will still suck and just adding a new coach won't make a difference...HA, you were wrong! :D

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
One thing I want to point out is to all the naysayers who said our defense will still suck and just adding a new coach won't make a difference...HA, you were wrong! :D

I was one of those people. The GB D has certainly impressed me. It's too bad that the GB team seems to be picking up steam recently in both defense and offense. They are still a dangerous team, alas, with a bad record. Should be interesting in a couple weeks.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miskito said:
I was one of those people. The GB D has certainly impressed me. It's too bad that the GB team seems to be picking up steam recently in both defense and offense. They are still a dangerous team, alas, with a bad record. Should be interesting in a couple weeks.

Well, I think it's too bad that they are finally picking up steam after losing 7 games. What a hole to climb out of. Their playoff chances are doubtful. They'd have to win every game from here on out.

favrefourevre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Win every game here on out and hope the Bears finish no better than 9-7 so GB would win the head-to-head tiebreaker by way of sweep.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can get a coach who isnt retarded like the bears did. We can get a lovie smith type, i think hes a fine coach. Hes had SOME questionable coaching moves, but overall hes far and beyond sherm head.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
net said..

"Fast forward one to two years...first read this story.....

Aaron Rodgers is the QB....but the Packers "D" is ranked #1 in the league.
I for one, will be a happy Packers fan, as I've never been a fan of 'outscoring' teams. I love a good, bloody, 13-12 head-knocker with the last player standing the winner."

So what are you saying net...?

You seem so ready to give Favre the boot....I guess he wasn't in your immediate plans, or in TT's either perhaps?...

(Don't count your chickens though...Ryan Leaf and plenty of other first round QB picks haven't panned out in the nfl...you have to be able to score...)

What I wonder is....How can you defend Mike Sherman when for 5 years he basically ignored the defensive side of the ball for the GB Packers?

And if he had his way...He would still have Bob Slowick as his DC....(that's why I think it was Harlan's idea to go after Bates...sort of a condition for Mikey to keep his job...demotion as GM....and hire Bates as DC...)

(Is SherRossley still around in your scenario? Then you still won't reach the big game......or the playoffs either...)

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here we go again P@ck66...

You whine on here non-stop about how the Packers don't use a crap load of their cap space to bring in 'to', Burress, or whomever, then you turn around and complain because the Packers/MS didn't spend all their $ on defense.

If the Packers had 20 mil more cap space than every other team, then your plan would work...but sadly, for both your master plan, and the success of the Pack, they're on a level playing field.

Members online

Latest posts