What the Hell Jennings

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
OJ had a great season he will be the best 2,000 yard rusher ever as he did that in 14 games...
Well yes and no. OJ did it with 332 attempts in 14 games. Peterson has 289 attempts so far. At his current pace, he should have about 330 attempts at the end of the year. It comes down to about 3 extra attempts per game over 14 games. So as far as attempts go, Peterson has 7 games were he rushed 18 times or less. OJ had only two games were he had less than 20 attempts per game. I guess you could look at it both ways.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why any fan of the game would be against seeing him break the record, even if he does play for a division rival. Some things transcend rivalries, and it's not like Peterson is a collosal *********. As a fan of the game, I love to see long standing records broken, and this season our division is fortunate enough to have a chance to take down two potential records- Peterson and Calvin Johnson both have a shot at setting the single season record for their respective specialties. Frankly, what I'd like to see is Peterson have a MONSTER day against Houston so our defense can go out and keep him to under a hundred yards, which will also be enough to allow him to set the record. Best of both worlds.

Also, something to keep in mind is most of these rivalries are fan driven, and not player driven. Many of the players are friends off the field, so seeing them root for each other isn't all that surprising.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'm fine with it. He racks up 250 against Houston, then we hold him to 50 yards. He breaks the record, we win the game, everybody happy! :p

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I'm fine with it. He racks up 250 against Houston, then we hold him to 50 yards. He breaks the record, we win the game, everybody happy! :p
Nope. 300 against Houston. 2 records in one game. Game record and season record. Now that would be cool.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why any fan of the game would be against seeing him break the record, even if he does play for a division rival. Some things transcend rivalries, and it's not like Peterson is a collosal *********. As a fan of the game, I love to see long standing records broken, and this season our division is fortunate enough to have a chance to take down two potential records- Peterson and Calvin Johnson both have a shot at setting the single season record for their respective specialties. Frankly, what I'd like to see is Peterson have a MONSTER day against Houston so our defense can go out and keep him to under a hundred yards, which will also be enough to allow him to set the record. Best of both worlds.

Also, something to keep in mind is most of these rivalries are fan driven, and not player driven. Many of the players are friends off the field, so seeing them root for each other isn't all that surprising.

As long as its not a single game record I'm in agreement.

I remember the respect the Vikings fans gave Favre when he set the record in the dome. I would stand and clap for Peterson just like they did for a packer.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I feel sorry for AP. Such a great player on a **** team. Just like Larry Fitzgerald, both are great people and players but have nothing going for them in their current teams.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Honestly I feel sorry for AP. Such a great player on a **** team. Just like Larry Fitzgerald, both are great people and players but have nothing going for them in their current teams.

Yes this is true, but if you are a stud player surrounded by turds, you tend to be the stand out. That is why I think steve smith WR on the panthers has stayed so long. For the longest time, he was the only bright spot they had.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They flashed these Adrian Peterson stats on tv the other morning. His monthly averages are spectacular:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now MN is our playoff opponent in game 1. So we let AP get his record and maybe they even win game 16, provided it is not a factor in our playoffs. Then shut him down in game 1 of the playoffs. And with no running game, MN has nothing but Rudolph. Maybe Greg Jennings is doing a smart thing here . . . :sneaky:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Whether or not AP breaks the record won't affect my opinion of him as one of the greatest RBs in NFL history, so I really don’t care one way or another. But I'm a Packers fan so I hope he gains 0 yards against the Packers. (Obviously that's not going to happen, just say'n.) For example, I have a lot of respect for Barry Sanders as a RB and a man but I was very excited to witness the 1994 playoff game in which the Packers held him to -1 yard rushing in (only) 13 carries. He also caught three passes so he touched the ball 16 times and gained 3 yards total! The great respect I have for Sanders is what made that defensive effort so exciting and compelling. The same goes for AP. I hope the Packers hammer him all game long and hold him to his lowest rushing total of the season. It would be a great way to go into the playoffs.

BTW, I'd like to see AP and Peyton Manning share the MVP and comeback player of the year awards, since post season awards have no affect on the Packers (except to increase their contract demands if they're awarded to Packers ;) ). Both deserve both awards IMO and both have been so outstanding I can't break the tie for either award.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether or not AP breaks the record won't affect my opinion of him as one of the greatest RBs in NFL history, so I really don’t care one way or another. But I'm a Packers fan so I hope he gains 0 yards against the Packers. (Obviously that's not going to happen, just say'n.) For example, I have a lot of respect for Barry Sanders as a RB and a man but I was very excited to witness the 1994 playoff game in which the Packers held him to -1 yard rushing in (only) 13 carries. He also caught three passes so he touched the ball 16 times and gained 3 yards total! The great respect I have for Sanders is what made that defensive effort so exciting and compelling. The same goes for AP. I hope the Packers hammer him all game long and hold him to his lowest rushing total of the season. It would be a great way to go into the playoffs.

BTW, I'd like to see AP and Peyton Manning share the MVP and comeback player of the year awards, since post season awards have no affect on the Packers (except to increase their contract demands if they're awarded to Packers ;) ). Both deserve both awards IMO and both have been so outstanding I can't break the tie for either award.

if it comes down to Peyton & AD I'd give it to AD simply b/c Peyton already has 4 NFL MVPs w/ him sharing one w/McNair. They may be wrong to look at it like that but Clay Matthews got the DPOY stolen from him by Polamolu in 2010. TP missed about 3-4 games that yr & CM3 was ballin'. That's a C'mon man if ever there was one

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
What's the big deal with what he said? I want Adrian to break the record too. He deserves it. He's an amazing player and person.

It doesn't matter if he does it either really, they still won't beat us. He ran roughshod over us last season and we still swept the division. Even if they do win, what difference is it going to make in the long run this season? None.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever rushed for 2,000 in 14 games?

Have you looked deeper into the numbers? I suspect not.

PRE 1973 only 1 player in NFL history ran for over 1,500 yards in a single season (best RB ever). Between browns retirement and 1973 no rusher had over 1300 yards. In 72 the dolphins ran to an (easy) undefeated season behind the first ever dual 1,000 yd backs. Then the bills ripped off 3,088 yards in a single season. Hell of a record, but hmmm what would cause a swing like that? Well in 72 the nfl changed the hash marks. I think a basic understanding of football should be enough to understand the benefit of the this change, how it affected the record books, and how it took several seasons for the nfl defenses to catch up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts