What teams do you fear the most

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well RG III may be subdued but I don't think it will have anything to do with the after effects of his acl injury. All reports are that he is way ahead of schedule. Even his doctor says he has shown the same recovery ability as AP. He ran at full speed in the Redskins OTA's.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/6/6/4...riffin-iii-presser-week-1-return-is-realistic

Now back to the question. I fear the 49ers first and next the Falcons if we progress to the playoffs which I believe we will. Don't confuse the current Falcons team with those of the past. They are dangerous!!!!

But the team we most have to fear until we get to the playoffs is the Vikings. We have to take care of them. I don't see a big threat from either the Bears or Lions.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now back to the question. I fear the 49ers first and next the Falcons if we progress to the playoffs which I believe we will. Don't confuse the current Falcons team with those of the past. They are dangerous!!!
Agreed.... in fact, I think (hope) that's exactly who I said too.
And when the Giants play well, they pose a threat to us always...... even though some of our fans overlook them, think we can only be beaten by ourselves.

H

HardRightEdge

Well RG III may be subdued but I don't think it will have anything to do with the after effects of his acl injury. All reports are that he is way ahead of schedule. Even his doctor says he has shown the same recovery ability as AP. He ran at full speed in the Redskins OTA's.

That's not tackle football. ACL recovery is as much mental as physical. Even if the joint is sound, most players require live game action to get comfortable and confident with it. The rule of thumb is the second season after returning from an ACL is when a player regains full confidence.

AP is a freak of nature and an unusual exception. There is no reason at this point to think RGIII will follow suit.

That not to say he won't scramble if he has to...but he'll be sliding at the first sign of danger.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not tackle football. ACL recovery is as much mental as physical. Even if the joint is sound, most players require live game action to get comfortable and confident with it. The rule of thumb is the second season after returning from an ACL is when a player regains full confidence.

AP is a freak of nature and an unusual exception. There is no reason at this point to think RGIII will follow suit.

That not to say he won't scramble if he has to...but he'll be sliding at the first sign of danger.

I don't think you have followed the RG III injury progress closely and are making comments about acl injuries irrespective of where he personally is in the recovery process. He expects to be cutting on the knee very shortly in addition to the sprints he did in OTA's.

Yes, according to his doctor he is like AP and HE has the same recuperative powers.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/rgiii-rehab-superhuman/

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/51959/rg-iii-aims-for-start-of-training-camp

MackemPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fear nobody but I think the 49ers are the best all round team in the NFC, anyone else I'd be confident. That includes the Giants, that D Line isn't what it was even just a year or two ago.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't think you have followed the RG III injury progress closely and are making comments about acl injuries irrespective of where he personally is in the recovery process. He expects to be cutting on the knee very shortly in addition to the sprints he did in OTA's.

Yes, according to his doctor he is like AP and HE has the same recuperative powers.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/rgiii-rehab-superhuman/

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/51959/rg-iii-aims-for-start-of-training-camp

I've followed the RGIII story sufficiently to know he's wearing a big honking brace on his knee.

Then we have this from Dr. Andrews, right out of one of your links: “RG III is one those superhumans,” Andrews said. “First patient I ever had like that was Bo Jackson [ emphasis is mine]. And recently I, of course, had Adrian Peterson, who is also superhuman. They have an unbelievable ability to recover, where as a normal human being may not be able to recover.”

So, Andrews is 1 for 2 with his superhuman patients. Andrews was on the operating team that worked on Jackson's hip in '92. That did not work out so well from the standpoint of professional athletic performance. Maybe he means mere mortals like us would be in a wheelchair?

Further, Andrews looked pretty silly with that in-out-in the sideline tent, and the ensuing "cleared to play" / "not cleared to play" conflicting comments between him and the coach afterward. He has a vested interest in talking up the situation.

Look, I don't doubt RGIII will eventually get back to his old form, or at least close to it, though I wouldn't be surprised if his 4.3's days are behind him. However, the odds against full recovery, mentally and physically, by week 2 are somewhat long.

We'll see, when tackle football starts.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've followed the RGIII story sufficiently to know he's wearing a big honking brace on his knee.

Then we have this from Dr. Andrews, right out of one of your links: “RG III is one those superhumans,” Andrews said. “First patient I ever had like that was Bo Jackson [ emphasis is mine]. And recently I, of course, had Adrian Peterson, who is also superhuman. They have an unbelievable ability to recover, where as a normal human being may not be able to recover.”

So, Andrews is 1 for 2 with his superhuman patients. Andrews was on the operating team that worked on Jackson's hip in '92. That did not work out so well from the standpoint of professional athletic performance. Maybe he means mere mortals like us would be in a wheelchair?

Further, Andrews looked pretty silly with that in-out-in the sideline tent, and the ensuing "cleared to play" / "not cleared to play" conflicting comments between him and the coach afterward. He has a vested interest in talking up the situation.

Look, I don't doubt RGIII will eventually get back to his old form, or at least close to it, though I wouldn't be surprised if his 4.3's days are behind him. However, the odds against full recovery, mentally and physically, by week 2 are somewhat long.

We'll see, when tackle football starts.

Yes RG III is wearing a brace at this point....as a protection until he takes the next step in his recovery. The silliness with RG III was the Shanigans. Andrews denied clearing him to play after he first suffered the injury. I don't think Andrews has to talk himself up. He is the expert in his field.

Check out the list of athletes he has performed surgery on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Andrews_(physician)

While it may be more comforting if you are a Packer fan to believe that RG III will limp around on the field and take a slide when a defender is 10 yards away, I don't see that happening.

H

HardRightEdge

While it may be more comforting if you are a Packer fan to believe that RG III will limp around on the field and take a slide when a defender is 10 yards away, I don't see that happening.

I did not say he'd be limping. I did not say he'd slide 10 yards early (5 yards seems about right). And I'm not known for wearing a fan's rose colored glasses, to be sure. I've questioned Tramon Williams' 100% recovery (and Sherrod's and Bishop's)no less than RGIII's. What I did say is he'll not be much of a running threat in week 2 and perhaps through the season.

Why such skepticism? Because the star players who snap back from serious injury to 100% are easy to remember, however they are outnumbered by the guys who wash out and are forgotten.

As for James Andrews, I'm well aware of his history. However, an industry-leading reputation and self-promotion are hardly mutually exclusive. You know the old gag, "What's the difference between God and a surgeon? God doesn't think he's a surgeon."

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did not say he'd be limping. I did not say he'd slide 10 yards early (5 yards seems about right). And I'm not known for wearing a fan's rose colored glasses, to be sure. I've questioned Tramon Williams' 100% recovery (and Sherrod's and Bishop's)no less than RGIII's. What I did say is he'll not be much of a running threat in week 2 and perhaps through the season.

Why such skepticism? Because the star players who snap back from serious injury to 100% are easy to remember, however they are outnumbered by the guys who wash out and are forgotten.

As for James Andrews, I'm well aware of his history. However, an industry-leading reputation and self-promotion are hardly mutually exclusive. You know the old gag, "What's the difference between God and a surgeon? God doesn't think he's a surgeon."

So where did James Andrews do self promoting. All Andrews did was compare him to Bo Jackson and AP. People who have achieved his status don't have to promote themselves. He has consulted or performed surgeries on Brett Favre, Albert Pujols, Kevin Smith, Hope Solo, Michael Jordan, Emmit Smith, Troy Aikman Roger Clemens, Rojon Rondo and the list goes on. Most recently Bryce Harper has sought him out for his knee injury. It is said every athletic trainer, physical therapist and strength and conditioning coach has his phone #. He is hardly 1 for 2.

You compare RG III to the ones who wash out but RG III is a different cat. He is as tough mentally as he is physically.

The evidence and reports are that RG III will be ready to play in the season opener. It's your opinion he won't be the same despite plenty of contrary evidence. We disagree.

H

HardRightEdge

So where did James Andrews do self promoting. All Andrews did was compare him to Bo Jackson and AP.

You evidently are not familiar with Bo Jackson's history.

People who have achieved his status don't have to promote themselves.

Then why do they do it?

He is hardly 1 for 2.

He cited AP and Bo as super humans he's worked on. That's 1 for 2.

You compare RG III to the ones who wash out but RG III is a different cat. He is as tough mentally as he is physically.

Well, that's the test...how handles mentally his first major injury.

It's your opinion he won't be the same despite plenty of contrary evidence.

That wasn't the quite the gist, was it? The point is that it's foolish to believe with the certainty you express that he will. Sounds like somebody has RGIII on his fantasy team.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You evidently are not familiar with Bo Jackson's history.

I know that Bo Jackson suffered one of the worst hip injuries ever that ended his football career. The problem was in large part a lack of blood to the injured area. Yet he had a hip replacement and was still able to return to baseball. I don't think many athletes could do that.
Then why do they do it?

Show me where Andrews has promoted himself?

He cited AP and Bo as super humans he's worked on. That's 1 for 2.

Already addressed above

Well, that's the test...how handles mentally his first major injury.

Agree but you said recovery from acl surgery is a lot mental. Agree again but like I said he is a mentally tough guy

That wasn't the quite the gist, was it? The point is that it's foolish to believe with the certainty you express that he will. Sounds like somebody has RGIII on his fantasy team.

Now you are getting petty

And you did say RG III would be sliding at the first sign of danger. Check your posts.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't realize how difficult the opening five games were for S.F.. With the first five games being GB, @Seattle, Indy, @St. Louis and Houston, the Niners have to hit the ground running.
It doesn't hurt to drop a few games early... you could go 5-0, or 3-2, usually means little come playoff time.
Falcons lost at home to you guys in January, and in 2010 they had the #1 seed and lost to us at home in the playoffs.

We almost ran the table in 2011, still lost in January.
NE went 16-0 in 2007, lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl.

I look forward to seeing us get some shots at Kaepernick again, but the end result W-L won't matter come playoff time.
I just want to see Kaepernick finally get hit hard by us. He never did last time against us.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to drop a few games early... you could go 5-0, or 3-2, usually means little come playoff time.
Falcons lost at home to you guys in January, and in 2010 they had the #1 seed and lost to us at home in the playoffs.

We almost ran the table in 2011, still lost in January.
NE went 16-0 in 2007, lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl.

I look forward to seeing us get some shots at Kaepernick again, but the end result W-L won't matter come playoff time.
I just want to see Kaepernick finally get hit hard by us. He never did last time against us.

I agree. It's never how you start, it's how you finish. Sorry for the cliche, but it's true.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree. It's never how you start, it's how you finish. Sorry for the cliche, but it's true.

Baltimore started the 2012 season 5-1, then 9-2. They proceeded to lose 4 of their last 5 to finish 10-6. A veteran team that has experienced past success, like Baltimore, is less likely to lose confidence from a late losing streak, and can see the playoffs as a blank slate.

Certainly, you'd like to see a team build momentum going into the playoffs. Just as certainly, you'd not want to see a team start 0-3 or 1-4 which is a hole out of which teams infrequently dig themselves.

"Never" is a word to be avoided.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Baltimore started the 2012 season 5-1, then 9-2. They proceeded to lose 4 of their last 5 to finish 10-6. A veteran team that has experienced past success, like Baltimore, is less likely to lose confidence from a late losing streak, and can see the playoffs as a blank slate.

Certainly, you'd like to see a team build momentum going into the playoffs. Just as certainly, you'd not want to see a team start 0-3 or 1-4 which is a hole out of which teams infrequently dig themselves.

"Never" is a word to be avoided.

Good point and point well taken.

Members online

Latest posts