What should the Packers do in the 1st round?

What should the Packers do in the 1st round?

• Total voters

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
freefromwhatyouare said:
I also have no confidence in the back-ups Will Blackmon, Tramon Williams and Pat Lee.
Maybe it's all a matter of opinion, but I remember Tramon Williams playing very well last year when Harris was hurt.

And also, i'm right there with you in the "Al Harris is a bit overrated" camp. I've never understood what makes him "one of the best in the league" as so many people say. He's good, but nothing more. And he has a penchant for penalties. Costly penalties. Heck, the whole secondary seems to like committing penalties sometimes.

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watch tapes of the late season games when Tramon started when Woodson moved to safety.

Williams was out of position constantly and got torched on many occasions. I think he has some positives but he is not someone I would feel comfortable starting at CB next season.

Cartunist23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Tramon took some huge steps this last season. Granted he made a few mistakes in coverage typical of a guy who has only been on the field a couple years. I would be comfortable seeing him starting opposite Jenkins down the road, if we were to select him.

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
freefromwhatyouare said:
Flyguy I share your doubts about Al Harris and others playing a lot of zone coverages in Capers defense. Now Dom is not stupid and will run a hybrid 3-4. He will work his defense to fit the strengths of the players he ends up with.
I am with you on Harris in any form of zone coverages. He looks pathetic, and just has no game backpedaling and trying make reads/jumps. This was one of my 1st thoughts with Dom and 3-4 coming to town. Also right on the mark with Woodson, he can play in any kind of scheme. The guy doesn't get his props, he is really elite guy in terms of his instincts, reads, and breaks on the ball. Hope that Dom puts in some really exotic coverages that kind of feature Woodson or put him into a free lance position, kind of like Pittsburgh lets Polamalu roam free!
I do think that Lee showed flashes that he can be a player, gotta make a clear jump from year 1 to year 2. Tramon Williams is not as horrible as you kind of dogged him, he can be a tad scary at times but in comparison to say Jarrett Bush, Williams can at least hold his own on 50% of plays. Bush gets rung up like a slot machine every time he gets put on the field and it doesn't matter if he is on the #7 WR! So I choose to be thankful for Williams.
One note, I think Harris when he entered the NFL was a guy that ran like 4.55 40 yard dash, and people questioned his CB speed. Sounds a little like Jenkins, same height but Jenks is much more stocky!
What do you think the odds are of Aarron Rouse stepping up his game and giving Bigby a serious fight for the other safety job???(assuming they have zero plans of moving Woodson there)

Malk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I see it, our Primary needs are: DE, NT, OLB, & OT ... Secondary needs are: CB, TE, G, C, ILB, & RB. Areas of little (if any) need are: QB, WR, & Safety.

If, as some say, you always draft the best player on the board regardless of position we could very well be drafting Stafford or Sanchez at #9. Crabtree or Maclin would also be possible options. I'm not really sold on any of the likely available players at #9.

I think a better way is to look at your overall needs & how you can fill them best - players like Jarron Gilbert (DE), Ron Brace (NT), Connor Barwin (OLB), & Troy Kropog (OLT) will all be drafted somewhere between #25 & 60. Getting all 4 players ought to be relatively easy, if we were to trade down from #9. Taking the trade that some have proposed with Detroit, for instance, would give us picks #20 & 33. From there, we could either take Ty Jackson if available (then wouldn't need Gilbert), or trade down closer to 25 & take Gilbert, picking up another 3rd rd pick. Take Barwin with the 33rd pick, Brace at 41, then we could package some later picks to move up to around #50 for Kropog.

Thompson has done a very good job of filling out the roster with good, young depth at most positions, but it's time for him to shift his focus from obtaining as many picks as possible to obtaining as many QUALITY picks as possible. In order to remain competitive and be on the radar as a SB contender, any team needs to find at least 2 (ideally 3) quality eventual starters in each draft. That's most easily done in rds 1 & 2. Ted's strength seems to be in the 2nd round, so the more picks we get there, the better off we'll be.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cullen Jenkins went down with an injury very early in '08 & no one stepped up to fill the void. Barnett went down with about 6 games to go & exposed the glaring need for another impact LB. Depth is not defined merely by having a group of positional players.

If anything TT has maintained status quo of the previous GM in regard to depth - it is neither better nor worse.

A perfect example is the revolving door at offensive guard. None has been able to rise to the challenge even with multiple opportunities.

Just because you like the players TT has assembled better than the back-ups in GB prior to his arrival doesn't mean they're any more effective. 31-33 isn't anything to hang your hat on.

Reaction score
Ill make it simple here pick a defensive line or linebacker for first pick we dont need o line or cbs until later rounds. D line and Linebackers were our bad spot last year so lets fix it

Rodgersfan1985

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree defense is our main priority I am just praying that we can get orakpo some how. I think our offense is fine except a little run blocking problem here and there. DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE

SSG_hop

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Raji or one of the top 4 OTs are going to be there at pick nine.

My first choice in the entire draft would be Raji. We are in need of a NT that can take on a double team. Pickett I think is nothing more than a back up in the 3-4. I don't think Pickett has the work ethic to be successful as a 3-4 NT. Harrell can't seem to show up to camp in shape to show his coaches what he can or can't do.

My second choice would be Brian Orakpo. I don't think Aaron Kampman is a Packer past next season and I think Orakpo has the tools to be a special player in that OLB position. He is explosive and as strong as any player in the entire draft. If this defense is going to be successful at all a GREAT pass rushing OLB is a MUST.

My third choice would be Jenkins because I think he represents great value at that pick. He has the tools to play either Safety or Cornerback and is a big time player. I'm not worried about his speed issues.

Onofr1o

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Choose malcolm jenkins. We need a young cornerback to be the cornerstone of that secondary. He can learn from Harris and Woodson while hes here. Its a great pick

Malk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thought for all Raji supporters - we could probably get by with Pickett taking most of the 3-4 snaps this year ... then making a play to draft Terrence Cody ('Bama) next year. Raji would be a good nose tackle - Mount Cody will make a GREAT one.

cheeseheads84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackersRS said:
I pray God we won't be able to pick Cody next year. He'll be a top 15 pick at least, and I plan us to pick #32...
Good point. We can't wait a year for a player that probably won't be avaiable when we pick. NT is a need, and if the coaches think that Pickett can't be a nº1 NT, they should take a NT in day one of this draft.

RyanMegaphors

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I see it, we should draft whatever DE/OLD is availale. I rank them like this.

1. Aaron Curry
2. Brian Orakpo
3. Everett Brown
4. Aaron Maybin

I'd be extremely happy with the top 3 guys. I think our CBs are fine...we just had no rush last year. Tramon and Lee will get a lot better if they dont have to cover quite as long.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheeseheads84 said:
PackersRS said:
I pray God we won't be able to pick Cody next year. He'll be a top 15 pick at least, and I plan us to pick #32...
Good point. We can't wait a year for a player that probably won't be avaiable when we pick. NT is a need, and if the coaches think that Pickett can't be a nº1 NT, they should take a NT in day one of this draft.
But they think he is an IDEAL NT. Even if they draft Raji, he won't start at NT AT LEAST until 2010. But we need to remember that we'll play A LOT of 4-3 this year. So if we draft a DE/OLB, it doesn't matter that he never played OLB, he'll play a lot on DE. And if we draft Raji, he'll play when there's a 4-3...

Reaction score
The thing is the way i think about it that you people who say we should pick a CB first is just stupid. Our secondary got slaughtered by mainly one reason the qb on the other team had no pressure put on him. So we should keep it that way and just draft another CB? We need to put pressure on the Qb first than we can improve are secondary later in the draft or next year. Not that we dont need a Cb its just that we need help in our line and linebacker crew. If we could of picked up a good player in the FA than i would of been fine taking a CB or a O line men but it seems like that didnt work out so our main priority is pressure first. Also i dont think we should take rajj first because he will not a great impact player for our pressure he will be better for our run game mostly. See if we get a phenom who has the potential to be a monster and is good "Cough Brian Orakpo " we could turn him into a beast,l and he could help with sacks and run game :)

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I'm coming around to the idea of Everette Brown. Mostly because I think he'll be our only decent option at 9. I am, as any Packer fan should be, scared of taking another Florida State DE/LB, but Florida State can only produce one Jamal Reynolds type bust every century, right? Right?

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jess said:
I'm coming around to the idea of Everette Brown. Mostly because I think he'll be our only decent option at 9. I am, as any Packer fan should be, scared of taking another Florida State DE/LB, but Florida State can only produce one Jamal Reynolds type bust every century, right? Right?
YEAH! I hope... :(

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron maybin.. He had a terrific proday, he ran a 4.64 in the 40-yard, added some weight and performed well in drills. http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/21/maybin- ... e-pro-day/
Don't care about 40 time, the only importace speed has in a DE/OLB is when he's chasing down the RB, and that shouldn't happen. Quickness and First Step are much, much more important...
I don't remember him, though I've seen the Rose Bowl...
Aaron Kampman and Aaron Maybin sure sounds nice, but I prefer Orakpo, and Brown...

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without question if BJ Raji is available it would be a no brainer, if not then I would probably trade down to the middle of the 1st round. The 3-4 defense is only as good as it's Nose tackle. You can get OLB's at almost anytime and there are many more of them available. Just look at the Steelers, without Hampton they are an average defense. He makes things go. When they didn't have a great Nose tackle their defense fell off.

lambeauharrier

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sunshine885500 said:
Without question if BJ Raji is available it would be a no brainer, if not then I would probably trade down to the middle of the 1st round. The 3-4 defense is only as good as it's Nose tackle. You can get OLB's at almost anytime and there are many more of them available. Just look at the Steelers, without Hampton they are an average defense. He makes things go. When they didn't have a great Nose tackle their defense fell off.

In that one paragraph Sir you persuaded me to the idea of drafting Raji.
Lol. :p :D

Members online