What should the Packers do in the 1st round?

What should the Packers do in the 1st round?

• Total voters

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, although there is already some discussion over this, I wanted to create a poll specific to the 1st round. CHOOSE DISCONSIDERING THE FREE AGENCY. The intention is to see what is the smartest move the fans think should be done, and who you think is a better fit/need for our team. Please explain your vote...

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My vote is for Brown. I was first leaning towards Orakpo, then Raji, but seeing their highlights I was very disappointed about how many plays they overrun. Also, I think the urgency for an OLB is bigger than for a DT, and I see Orakpo more of a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OLB. I know Brown is from FSU, and people say that when playing against elite opponents he doesn't perform quite well, but I can only choose from what I've seen, and according to the videos he has a very quick first step, can do a series of stunts to beat the LT and plays well against the run.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You got it right. The more I think about it, the more I think that Orakpo would be a poor choice. And the more I think about it, the more I think that Brown would be a good choice.

GreenBayCracker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I picked Malcolm Jenkins because as good as our CB's are at the moment (love the 1, 2 punch of Woods and Harris) we will need someone solid at this position for years to come.

The Coordinator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like both Brown and Raji but we cannot afford to make another mistake like Reynolds and the safer pick would be one of the top 4 OL. This will be a major need when Clifton is done and having another cornerstone for the next 10 years might be too good to pass up.

greenbaypacker80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Aaron Curry but don't think he will be there at #9 and don't think it would be smart to move up and give up a pick. I believe Orakpo will be there and I believe he can come in and start.

Reaction score
id pick an o linemen if an only if we pick up a solid person in the d line or linebackers . This defensive draft is supposed to be filled with defense. Look at the dolphins there first round draft pick was a o line men. Look at them now.

boisenjm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we could get a stud O-lineman that would definitely bode well and would most likely be the safest pick. I think we can only do that if we get a decent guy in free agency to bolster our front seven on D.

Reaction score
boisenjm said:
If we could get a stud O-lineman that would definitely bode well and would most likely be the safest pick. I think we can only do that if we get a decent guy in free agency to bolster our front seven on D.

yes thats if and only if . If we do not get a solid defensive personell in free agency then are first draft will have to be defense

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a sleeper, how about Jackson, the DE from LSU. I know he's not projected that high in the first round, but it's certainly a need position.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I thought about Jackson. I put him in "Move down and pick someone else". In that option, I thought also on Clint Sintim and Michael Johnson, even though they'll probably be available at our 2nd round pick...

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Depends. If Peppers is a Packer, which I still doubt, i'll take Jenkins to replace Harris or Woodson some day. If not, Orakpo sounds good.

packerbacker23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i just read this: the rumor that is making a few rounds around the NFL has Green Bay and Detroit gonna talk trade. I find it interesting that I proposed this trade in my January mock draft. Again some say Green Bay and Detroit would never trade because they are in the same division but I am not so sure.

Speculation from some who are talking about this rumor has the Lions sending Green Bay pick 20 in round 1 and pick 1 in round 2 for Green Bay's pick 9 in round 1 and pick 9 in round 4.
now this in my opinion is horrible this is what tt does every year trade down. we are a few impact players a way we dont need 15 players that wont contribute,but thats what tt does and we can expect him to miss out on ryan orakpo the guys a beast. just wonderin how everyone else feels

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
packerbacker23 said:
i just read this: the rumor that is making a few rounds around the NFL has Green Bay and Detroit gonna talk trade. I find it interesting that I proposed this trade in my January mock draft. Again some say Green Bay and Detroit would never trade because they are in the same division but I am not so sure.

Speculation from some who are talking about this rumor has the Lions sending Green Bay pick 20 in round 1 and pick 1 in round 2 for Green Bay's pick 9 in round 1 and pick 9 in round 4.
now this in my opinion is horrible this is what tt does every year trade down. we are a few impact players a way we dont need 15 players that wont contribute,but thats what tt does and we can expect him to miss out on ryan orakpo the guys a beast. just wonderin how everyone else feels
I don't see Detroit trading out of the second round. There's too much talent to be had there. Impact players abound in round two, so getting out of that round would show the same type of incompetence they fired Millen for.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packerbacker23 said:

Normally it would be awful, BUT imagine this:
FA, we get Peppers or Suggs
Then there's 2 draft options:
Pick 20 we get Eben Britton or Peria Jerry
Pick 1 of 2nd round we get Tyson Jackson
Pick 9 of 2nd round we get Ron Brace or William Beatty
Pick 9 of 3rd round we get a CB

And suddenly we don't have any glaring need...
My point is, if we get an impact DEFENSIVE player in the FA, this trade could be very good...
Getting an O-Line in the FA would not make this trade a good one, because we need at least 1 impact defensive player, be it by FA, Draft or both...

Reaction score
Dude if we could get 20th 1st round pick and the 2nd round pick for our first round and 4th round that would be such a steal and if TT did not take that trade i would kill myself

The Coordinator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron rodgers is god wrote:
Dude if we could get 20th 1st round pick and the 2nd round pick for our first round and 4th round that would be such a steal and if TT did not take that trade i would kill myself

I cant remember all the details but I believe in the 2007 draft TT had a chance to get an extra first round pick in the 2008 draft from the Cleveland Browns when they were looking for a partner to move up to try and draft Brady Quinn which they actually did by trading with Dallas.
TT said he was seriously thinking about it but decided againt it by saying he didn't want to wait a year for a possible impact player. So instead he stayed where he was at and picked Harrell.
Some info after the draft had GM for the Chiefs Carl Peterson looking to take Harrell with their pick but went with Dwyane Bowe after we took him instead.
Interesing note: Of the just some of the players that were still on the board when we picked were Jon Beason of the Panthers, Aaron Ross of the Giants and Brandon Meriweather of the Patriots.
Like I said I am not sure on all the perticulars of the possible trade and I think in defense of TT he did come out and say at one time that the Browns never fully offered the trade but their seems to have been alot of better options out their instead of injury prone Harrell.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know man... For beason we had Barnett and Hawk, for Ross, I don't remeber exactly, but we had just picked up Woodson? And we had Harris. And a lot of people thought at that time Meriweather was a reach, so... I personally wanted Willis, then Timmons, then when he was gone I thouhgt we should get a Wr. We could have taken Nelson or Griffin, but we needed DT. It was a bad call, but it had its motives. Every GM makes 1st round mistakes, what makes a great GM is that he doesn't repeat his mistakes. About the trade down I've already expressed my opinion, which isn't definite... All I can do is just hope TT can do what will be best for our team, and hope that whatever he decides turns out to be the best decision, cause we can't stand another failure...

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My first question would be: "Has anyone jotted down on paper (if they know) what the other 8 Teams "real needs" might be? Understanding the needs dwindles down the fear that YOUR favorite pick won't be there, when it's finally GBP's turn at bat. We only need to eliminate eight players from contention, and it isn't like the Packer's BIG need is only in the top 8. There ARE at least two good choices for each position on the Listing up until (probably) the end of the 3rd round.

My selection was: B J Raji (Nose tackle from Boston College) as the better choice.

WHY? No matter what you see on (YouTube?) video, with over-runs, etc., the Packers have something that can turn things to the positive. And, that's DOM CAPERS, along with our new DLC (Trgovac). Guys, this is probably one of thee most unique groupings of NFL Coaches that I've witnessed in probably at least a decade. Remember the uproar when the Steelers lost a lot of their Coaches after Big Ben's 1st SuperBowl? While this assembling has been more under the radar, it nonetheless is just as BIG as all that hubbub was.

I seriously think Dom Capers is exactly what the Packers need. My worry is that once he (again) sees success is that he might go and jump ship again. Course, there's that issue of a Coach finally realizing his best talents may lie in staying put. Hello Ray Rhodes?

We need either BJ Raji, or another Nose tackle just as BIG because I believe it that Ryan Pickett's best days are behind him. If we do not solidify the Scrimmage Line on Defense, the rest won't mean a hill 'o beans. Remember, how many games did we lose due to the Defense allowing the other Team(s) that chance to make the comeback score? Between Defense & Special Teams, there are at least FOUR games that the Packers "should have won". Four games makes our Season what?

Much as I hate to say it, Nose Tackle really is where we need to go first. I hate to say it, because my BIGGEST WISH is that Aaron Rodgers get what ALL quarterbacks would luv to have - ALL DAY IN THE POCKET. So, if it wasn't for the fact that Pickett's knees are shot, and Jolly is about to spend some time (maybe) in Texas.... then my 1st pick would be for Tackle or Center. Alex Mack would be my first choice - he can play both Center and Guard. If he were to gel at Guard, instead of Center, then we could move Jason Spitz in at Center and still be better than we have been for the last two seasons.

What's everyone going to say if (finally) Justin Harrell suddenly steps up and gets his act together? After this long, the odds really are against it, but stranger things have happened on the Frozen Tundra. I remember everyone questioning the talent of Nick Collins until last Season came around. Suddenly, he was looking almost like the twin to Charles Woodson when it came to grabbing INT's. Like I say, it can happen.

There's also another option that would be almost as crazy as Trader Ted selecting Justin Harrell like he did. There was a write-up in Packer Report recently about the Son of a former Packer Great, remember? The Son now plays Tight End in College. Stranger things have happened, and depending on how Ted feels about this Tight End, he very well could go much earlier than he's currently predicted. For sure, if we skip him at #9, then he won't be there when our turn comes back around. Think about it. Aaron Rodgers with a very credible Tight End to throw to, much like Mark Chmura. Put your feet up and just mull that one over for awhile. I'm talking about Paul Coffman's son, CHASE COFFMAN, now playing at Missouri. If TT goes for Chase Coffman, it would be the pick with history written all over it. Also, you don't really hear all that much press about Chase, other than small talk (and that writeup in Packer Report).

Just something to swill a few Leinies over..... that's all. Course, I could be all wrong - most fans usually are.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez,

I looked through Picketts background and cannot find any knee problems so, why did you make the comment that his knees are shot?

The guy has been on the field for a large part of his career. The only thing I could find was two groin injuries. IMO, he has a lot of playing time left.

You also seem to have given up on Harrell and said "after this long, the odds are really against him". Two years is not a long time.

As for the team needs, I would say back up DT, OLB, OT, OG, back up C. JMO.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
My first question would be: "Has anyone jotted down on paper (if they know) what the other 8 Teams "real needs" might be? Understanding the needs dwindles down the fear that YOUR favorite pick won't be there, when it's finally GBP's turn at bat. We only need to eliminate eight players from contention, and it isn't like the Packer's BIG need is only in the top 8. There ARE at least two good choices for each position on the Listing up until (probably) the end of the 3rd round.

It's very hard to predict these things, because a lot of those early teams have a lot of needs, and the Draft isn't allways about need, a lot of times teams pick based on value rather than need.

1- Lions. They need every position besides Wr, and they still can take a Wr, it's a tradition!
But given the players available, it's either QB, LT or Curry.
2- Rams. It's the same for them, but they have RB, a DE, and maybe a QB. If they re-sign Holt, a WR. The probable pick is LT
3- Chiefs. They're a young team with a lot of needs. They could go with QB, LT or Curry.
4- Seahawks. Last season, they were predicted as playoff contenders. I see them like I see the us, but they have an older team. Biggest need are WR, O-Line and RB.
5- Browns. They're gonna pick either Curry, Jenkins, or if Curry is taken early, Orakpo, Maybin or Brown.
6- Bengals. They have an O-line need, but their defense is awful. O-Line or Curry, Orakpo, Maybin, Brown or Raji.
7- Raiders. They need improvement in the lines, but if Crabtree is available, he will be taken. O-line, Raji or Crabtree.
8- Jaguars. It's O-line. They're a smashmouth running team, and they've struggled because their o-line didn't play well. It's O-line.

Okay, not very conclusive, but hope it helps.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again guys, we're only talking about 8 players being yanked out of the chance to become a Green Bay Packer. I do like the listing of potentials you put up there, RS. I'm more into widdling it down to which Player would those Teams NEED FIRST.(?)

1. Lions -- I'm betting they go QB, or LT (probably Franchise QB)
2. Rams -- Most likely LT (which doesn't exactly hurt the Pack on the 1st round)
3. KC -- This choice depends on which QB they preferred over who didn't get grabbed by Detroit)
4. 'Hawks -- probably Running Back - it's been missing for two seasons now
5. Browns -- hard to tell here, especially with Mangenius as the new HC (Who's the GM?)
6. Gals -- Raji could go here, but he's not the only NT type coming out this Draft, either
7. Raidahs -- I agree with the Crabtree choice - course it is Al Davis... who knows
8. Jags - very much like us, last season, lost a lot due to injuries, made it all the way to AFCC in '07 ... needs are much the same as the Pack, except QB. Also agree here - probably Tackle... but don't be surprised if they grab Alex Mack (sometimes, it's not that #1 you take, Mack is rated as the #2 choice on Scout.com)

There's another NT type coming out from Boston College, as well, guys... Can you name him? Also, there is supposed to be 2, 3 others who could do just as well. I'm reading up now.

As for the comment on the knees, I'm surprised at you guys. I have read several Forums now that all say pretty much the same thing. He's just about done. Even the Publisher of Packer Report is saying much the same thing. He is an Insider, fellas.

Glad he's been a Packer? Hands down, no doubt! But, he was getting run over last season, a lot. Sure, if he can get healed properly and hang in there, great. But, no one knows what Capers will do. Right now, he's about all we got for NT. Colin Cole is still listed as viable backup, not Starter. I tend to disagree, and maybe Capers will pull the trigger on that. Who knows. Our options for the Defensive (Trgovac) Line are minimal at best right now, and the whole NFCN knows it.

Some drastic changes are coming and we NEED to help Pickett as long as we can. Remember, we're talking about drafting BJ Raji, if I get my preference. We're talking about bringing in a Rookie to stand alongside Pickett, and learn from him. Nose tackle in the NFL has to be a bit different than what it's like in College; especially on speed. Raji won't gel for at least a season. It's very rare that a Nose Tackle has what it takes to step right in on Day One.

Again... JMHO

Members online

Latest posts