What scares you the most about Pittsburgh?

BlackNGold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious..

I am a Steeler fan visiting your board, so I will tell you what worries me!

Aaron Rodgers first and foremost. Our secondary is suspect at time. We live and die by the blitz at times, and the DB's like to play off the ball. If Rodgers can find the open man fast and get the ball out of his hand, or escape the blitz as he does so well, there is potential for him to carve up our secondary pretty bad. Brady did this by throwing a lot of quick slants, and they got into a rhythm and marched right up the field time and time again.

Last time these two teams met Rodgers had a big day, but we were also without Troy Polamalu. Troy has been playing hurt also, and hasn't been his crazy self of late. Even with him and Smith back for the Superbowl, I worry most about defending the pass! I really hope that we can get our running game going so that we can keep Rodgers, and the Packers offense off the field. That is probably going to be the game plan for the Steelers.

Next would have to be the pressure on Ben. We know it's coming! Ben always finds ways to escape, but thats when plays break down and it's easy to make mistakes. I don't think there is going to be a lot of room for error in this game, unlike the Jet's game where we had gotten out to such a big lead early. One errand throw could cost us the trophy.

I just know it's going to be an outstanding game!! We'll probably all have gray hair by the time it's over! If we don't come back to Pittsburgh with number seven, there is no one I would rather see from the NFC hoist the Lombardi than Green Bay. The fans of both teams are very deserving.

Go Steelers!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Is Ben and him escaping..

He can and HAS beaten us that way..

But our D is soooooooooooo much better this time...

It will be epic

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easily Big Ben and his ability to extend plays.

gotta somehow bring him down if someone gets to him.

SyX

Stranger in a strange land
Reaction score
Having watched the Steelers a few times this year, there are a few things that impress me. One thing I'll keep an eye on is where 43 lines up. The last couple of games, he's played deep and has been much less of a factor. Probably due to the ankle and achillies issues. Running on the Steelers isn't really much of an option, but if a team uses the run selectively, and knows they won't rack up big yards, it can still be useful.

Ben's ability to stretch out plays and the difficulty in taking him down are a cause for concern. He does have some history of holding on too long and getting into trouble, though.

Miller, Wallace and Ward are all capable receivers who are threats in different ways, so they can cause matchup nightmares because they are all capable of making a difference.

All in all, it should be a great game.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am worried about one thing and one thing only Aaron Rodgers being protected, protect Aaron Rodgers we will produce on offense, our defense should be able to hold their own.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First and foremost it is definitely Big Ben. His ability to escape pressure and create somethign out of nothing is ridiculous. Then it is probably Harrison potentially busting up Rodgers.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me it's the pass rush.

I've never been as confident of one unit as I am this year of our D. No team has been able to put up considerable points on us. No QB has scored more than 2 tds on us in one game, and no team has had more than 1 running TD on us in one game.

I'm not that much worried about the Steelers' offense. Ben is elite, Mendenhall is great, no doubt about that. But our D has shown up against EVERYBODY. The Patriots in essence scored only 24 points in us, and 7 of those were largely in part due to a linemen returning a kick to the 2 yard line. The powerhouse Philadelphia O only scored 17 points on us.

But our Offense has been shaky sometimes. Rodgers won't play as bad as he did against the Bears, because 1) He always struggles against their D, and it's a unique thing. It's about the way they play, it's about Lovie Smith, it's about Urlacher. 2) There won't be any wind in the stadium 3) The turf won't be mud painted green 4) The ball won't be hard as a rock.

Our offense thrives at controlled environments.

But our OL isn't very good, and we'll be facing the best pass rush duo in Woodley and Harrison. Truth be told, Rodgers struggles the most when pressured up the middle, because if the middle is open, he's able to scramble for lots of yards.

But if the pressure gets to Rodgers early and often, and they're able to hit him hard, it could be a long game for us.

I'm not that worried on ST as I usually am, because the Steelers' ST sucks. Their punter is Jeremy Kapinos (remember him?). We actually have the advantage in that area (Yeah, I know. I can't believe either).

So, to summarize, it's the pass rush.

gig20015

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only concern is how evenly matched these teams are. Its anybody's game. Anything can happen. This is gonna be one of the best, closest Superbowls ever.

Duvlek

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my only worries bout diz game is the protection for rodgers and getting a run game going to help move the ball and burn clock (when needed)

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing.
Now if you had come in here right after the Pack lost to the Lions and right before the Patsies, I would have had a whole list with "Rodgers not starting" at the top.
But since each game then, my confidence and faith for the Packers has grown with each win.
The Steelers know that the Packers are the real America's Team, that they are from Titletown and that the Packers are the ONLY team in the NFL that really matters.
That has got to mess with their psyches.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I think PackersRS nailed it. Pass Rush is the #1 thing that worries me and the Steelers blitzes, although Rodgers is great against blitzes.

Cheap Shots. Hope it doesn't happen. I'd like a clean game.

cakoski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What worries me is:

1) Pittsburgh's pass rush. Rodgers does great when he gets time, but if Pittsburgh can get to him early and often is going to be really hard to put points on the board.

2) The other thing that scares me is the fact Pittsburgh has been there before. They know of the pressures and the headaches of Super Bowl week. They have better understanding of how to keep the distractions to a minimum.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What worries me is:

1) Pittsburgh's pass rush. Rodgers does great when he gets time, but if Pittsburgh can get to him early and often is going to be really hard to put points on the board.

2) The other thing that scares me is the fact Pittsburgh has been there before. They know of the pressures and the headaches of Super Bowl week. They have better understanding of how to keep the distractions to a minimum.
I also think the distractions thing might interfere.

Most of the guys I trust are really hungry for a title, they're actually hungrier than the Steelers'.

But for the borderline guys, like Quarless, Underwood, Walden, those young guys might get overwhelmed by the pressure from their family and friends for tickets, by the hype, and etc...

Black and Gold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's scary about Green Bay:

- Rodgers, first and foremost. His vision and reads are very good, he can run and the sacks are way down this year. If he can take a page from Brady/Brees and get the ball out quickly he could be in for a good game. With that said, the Bears had 5 picks against GB this year so there may be something for LeBeau to pick up on. I don't recall if any of those were by Flynn.

- Special teams. Ugh, it's a coin toss when Pittsburgh kicks or punts.

- Clay Matthews - Could be one guy Ben has trouble escaping.

- Charles Woodson - What more can you say? Leads the team in tackles.

- Tramon Williams - Gotta be happy with how this guy's come along.

On the other hand, here are your World Champion Steelers': (;

- Green Bay's D - They've given up some points this year, albeit to some good offensive teams, and Pittsburgh can be explosive at times. The Steelers aren't the most consistent on offense but are very capable of comebacks and big plays in critical situations, because:

- Ben Roethlisberger - The passing game is very chaotic and hard to defend. Roethlisberger was inaccurate against the Jets and his numbers looked horrible but he's made some timely plays against both the Jets and the Ravens. People say he gets sacked all the time--but he's only been sacked once more than Rodgers. Threw less picks, too. (;

- Steeler D - It's solid, and coached by **** LeBeau (nothing against Capers). Blitzes are disguised, coverage is disguised and it's solid all the way around. Six guys with 2 picks and Polamalu with 7. Heck, Brett Keisel even has a pick, lol. 21 sacks between Harrison and Woodley. With luck, Aaron Smith will be healthy enough to play and Polamalu somewhere closer to 100%.

- God - He's on our side, no doubt about it! Hehe..

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have read somewhere (couldnt find a link, anyone able to help?) that Rodgers is the best QB in the league against the blitz.

I think like everyone else, being able to bring down Ben. He can escape easily and is surprisingly mobile.

Black and Gold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have read somewhere (couldnt find a link, anyone able to help?) that Rodgers is the best QB in the league against the blitz.

I think like everyone else, being able to bring down Ben. He can escape easily and is surprisingly mobile.

Yeah, he's good. ESPN broke it down before the Philly game. 118.3 QB rating versus anyone but Philly with 5+ rushers.

I can't post links yet; here's the URL:

espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/35275/packers-in-philly-the-blitz-basics

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
- Green Bay's D - They've given up some points this year, albeit to some good offensive teams, and Pittsburgh can be explosive at times. The Steelers aren't the most consistent on offense but are very capable of comebacks and big plays in critical situations, because:

- Ben Roethlisberger - The passing game is very chaotic and hard to defend. Roethlisberger was inaccurate against the Jets and his numbers looked horrible but he's made some timely plays against both the Jets and the Ravens. People say he gets sacked all the time--but he's only been sacked once more than Rodgers. Threw less picks, too. (;

- Steeler D - It's solid, and coached by **** LeBeau (nothing against Capers). Blitzes are disguised, coverage is disguised and it's solid all the way around. Six guys with 2 picks and Polamalu with 7. Heck, Brett Keisel even has a pick, lol. 21 sacks between Harrison and Woodley. With luck, Aaron Smith will be healthy enough to play and Polamalu somewhere closer to 100%.

- God - He's on our side, no doubt about it! Hehe..

Steelers were #1 in the league in points allowed. Packers were #2. So they are very similar in giving up points.

God on your side? Don't you know him and Lombardi are friends?

No sh*t Ben has less INTs and Sacks! He was suspended for 4 games this season for ****** drunk girls. LOL COME ON MAAAAAAN.

Ben has a higher percentage of sacks per drop backs.

liljohn5115

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being from Baltimore I get the.... displeasure :nyam: of seeing the Steelers at least twice a year. Besides the pass rush, what I think nobody has mentioned is Rashard Mendenhall. This guy seems to just get so many yards after contact. We must not forget about him and allow him to run all over us. If he does. The pass will be open and we unfortunately are not going to have a very good chance defensively.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am really not worried about the Steelers. I posted about the game against the Bears (and got a lot of people agreeing) is that it is my opinion that if the Packers play the way they have been and should play they will not lose. That is no knock on the Steelers, because they are a worthy foe, but if the Packers play their best, the Packers will win by two touchdowns or more. The Packers are top ten in both offense and defense, the Steelers are not. This Packers team is on fire and cannot be touched if they are firing on all cylinders. GO PACK GO!

pittguy578

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Harrison cheap shot early knocking Rodgers out of the game. Look at his elbow cheap shot to Sanchez in Sunday's game for proof this guy will do whatever it takes.

He is not a cheap shot artist. He plays hard..He plays violent..He doesn't do anything "dirty"..that would be Hines Ward:)
He is just a machine..He trains every day..has accupuncture 4 days a week and sleeps in a hyperbaric chamber. He bench presses over 500 pounds and squats over 700.

Latest posts