What Role Is AJ Hawk Going To Play On Our Defense.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What role will top pick A.J. Hawk play on the Packers defense?
The Packers will take full advantage of the speed and range of Hawk by starting him at weakside linebacker. But they'll also try to capitalize on his tremendous versatility by leaving him on the field as a middle linebacker in their dime scheme and on the strong side in their nickel package.

He is going to be our dime LB over Barnett? I can see that in the future maybe but when he is a rookie? I think he should play Strong Side LB in the nickel package right away though, teaming with Barnett.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From everything I've heard and read, one of Hawk's biggest attributes is his pass defense. He'll be all over TE's and will knock the sh*t out of the slot receivers. I believe the Packers will keep him on the field as much as possible. It's definitely exciting and I hope he lives up to the hype.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is it who answered the question originally? I'm guessing it was a journalist who was speculating on Hawk's role in the nickel and dime defenses.

I think it's more likely that Barnett will play in the dime, but Hawk should have the opportunity to beat him out in training camp.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Hawk has already gotten behind a little bit by having to miss some of the OTA's and it's possible he'll miss some time in training camp waiting for his contract to be negotiated. That, on top of being a rookie, is going to mean it'll take a while for AJ to learn the defense and get accustomed to the speed of the NFL.

With everything else going for him he should be able to adjust quicker than other rookies under similar circumstances, but it'll still take him some time. I look for him to start being fairly productive sometime around the middle of the season and become a player other teams have to gameplan for by the end of the year. Next year, he'll be an animal.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
is there anyone here, after several months have passed, that still think we should've drafted Mario Williams? PS> he's already an animal, he'll just become a more focused animal as the year goes on. Shawne Merriman (sp?) got rookie of the year last year with something like 60 tackles and 2 forced fumbles... i will be done right shocked if Hawk does anything less than that.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk will be the weak side LB. He'll be used on blitzes more than probably any other LB.

The biggest key that Hawk might have for us is his coverage ability. Hawk will allow Green Bay to play more nickel than dime. In nickel guys like Hawk and Barnett who can cover will allow Green Bay to have that extra big time tackler on the field. In Dime GB could get hurt. I think getting Hawk means you see more nickel than dime this year.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Regarding Mario Williams question. I wanted him at 5 and if we were to take Hawk I wanted us to trade down a few slots an get an extra pick.

I'm happy with Hawk, probably would be happy with Williams too. I think Williams will be good, but he's under a LOT of pressure and with the Titans they really don't have anyone on D to take the focus off him cept I think they have a stud DB. I could be wrong, I'm not a Titans expert.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
is there anyone here, after several months have passed, that still think we should've drafted Mario Williams? PS> he's already an animal, he'll just become a more focused animal as the year goes on. Shawne Merriman (sp?) got rookie of the year last year with something like 60 tackles and 2 forced fumbles... i will be done right shocked if Hawk does anything less than that.

It would have taken way too much to trade up for Williams, so no. I do strongly believe that if Williams was available at #5, then TT would have picked him.

That being considered though, I'm happy with our selection of Hawk. He's a solid consistent playmaker who will definitely improve this defense. One thing that all of the good defenses in the NFL have in common is a great set of LBs. Barnett, Hawk and whoever wins the 3rd spot will definitely make a difference on this team. Our defense improved significantly, but one area of weakness was the LBs filling the holes. Hopefully that won't be a problem this season.

GO PACK GO!!!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Regarding Mario Williams question. I wanted him at 5 and if we were to take Hawk I wanted us to trade down a few slots an get an extra pick.

I'm happy with Hawk, probably would be happy with Williams too. I think Williams will be good, but he's under a LOT of pressure and with the Titans they really don't have anyone on D to take the focus off him cept I think they have a stud DB. I could be wrong, I'm not a Titans expert.

You're not a Texans expert either because that's who drafted Mario Williams...

Sorry Zero, I just had to. :lol:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Zero2Cool said:

You're not a Texans expert either because that's who drafted Mario Williams...

Sorry Zero, I just had to. :lol:

ROFL ... nice

yea i *****'d that lol

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I KNEW that didn't look right..........i was like "The Titans??? Is that who got Williams???" :wink: :lol:

BearDown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

Merriman won it because he got 10 sacks. AJ may have more tackles, but he won't come close to double digit sacks.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ will have more tackles, fumbles recovered, interceptions, but your right...not double digit sacks.

I hope the Bears defense does resort to punching people...that's 15 yards and an automatic....FIRST DOWN!!! :lol:

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
AJ will have more tackles, fumbles recovered, interceptions, but your right...not double digit sacks.

Whenever Hawk is playing behind KGB and blitzes it's going to force opposing offenses to make a decision, either slide a guard over to help or have the RB/FB move over to take the open man. If we can also get some push up the middle from Pickett/Cole/Jenkins/Allen/Williams/Peterson and also on the other side from Kampman, someone is going to put some pressure on the QB somewhere.

True, Hawk may not get double digit sacks by himself, but between them Hawk & KGB could easily get 20 especially if Woodson, Harris, Carroll, Collins, Manuel and/or Roman do their jobs in coverage.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed. i hate when drunk ol' Johnny Madden brushes off a sack because it was a 'coverage sack'. to me those are the best. that's a whole team effort. that is your whole team working together (not unlike how the steelers kicked the **** out of Indy last year), rather than a blitz sack, where one of the offensive players just happens to Æ’uck up his assignment. everytime john poo-poos a 'coverage sack', i'd like to see one of those turkey legs shoved up his ***, or let one of the players he puts on his 'horse trailer' explain to him the concept of "team effort"!

Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
agreed. i hate when drunk ol' Johnny Madden brushes off a sack because it was a 'coverage sack'. to me those are the best. that's a whole team effort. that is your whole team working together (not unlike how the steelers kicked the **** out of Indy last year), rather than a blitz sack, where one of the offensive players just happens to Æ’uck up his assignment. everytime john poo-poos a 'coverage sack', i'd like to see one of those turkey legs shoved up his ***, or let one of the players he puts on his 'horse trailer' explain to him the concept of "team effort"!

Can the KC Cheifs hire you for the GM Challenge? :D

BearDown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:

I hope the Bears defense does resort to punching people...that's 15 yards and an automatic....FIRST DOWN!!! :lol:

LOL. It's a saying that some website quoted about the Bears defense. Pretty good compliment actually. What part of NoDak are you from? I'm from SE ND and went to college in Moorhead.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt Hawk will reach double digits in sacks either but just as valuable is the chances his pressure on the QB will give Harris and Woodson.

Having two really good bump and run corners opens the door to put more pressure on the QB and Hawks ability to create that pressure will help this be a much better D.

This is where I see Woodson being an important pick up. Many more pressure schemes can be used with more confidence and Hawk being in the mix will make those schemes that much more successful as well.

Bates' system was basic but you can bet if he had Woodson vs. Carroll and Hawk we would have seen more pressure.

And not the all out eight screwed up mess Slowick brought in either. I am talking about something that actually results in something other than touchdowns.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Recent trend shows that LB's have the best sucess in the NFL early on. It's one of the easier positions to adjust to. Hawk is a smart guy and an excellent player coming out of college. He should be in the running for Defensive Rookie of the Year.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what role for hawk?? good Lord, please let it be a BIG one!!!! as for double digit sacks? not a chance. i see him having alot of batted passes, a few interceptions, & LOTS of tackles.