What Responsibility Should the GM Take For Injuries?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
John Schneider.
Bo Duke?
LOL
That's what Google brings up.

I do see that he started with the Packers.
Now that would be a site to see.
The General Lee zooming on it's way to Lambeau with the bumbling sheriff in pursuit with his sweet natured and simple minded deputy as well.
Damn. You people that live in Green Bay really do get to see some cool stuff.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Name a better GM in the game that's had his team in contention almost every single year.

I'll wait.

Bill Belichick, strictly speaking of the fact that they are in contention just as much as the Packers and have 2 more Superbowls to show for it.

I get the sinking feeling that 10 years from now I will have gotten done watching 30+ years of hall of fame QB play being completely squandered with a mere 2 Super Bowl wins

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I Aside from the offense I am still livid that he didn't resign Crabtree. You don't have to drag kuhn out there to block with him out there and you don't have to put useless Ryan Taylor out there either.

I posted a article about why Kuhn is more valuable than we know..

I was actually shocked on the reasons...Read it if you havent

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
In direct response to the question posed in the subject line:

A: NONE. ZERO. ZILCH. NADDA. "THE BIG GOOSE EGGS".

The entire premise of the column is absolutely ludicrous at best - a ploy by the Sports Editor at the Press Gazette to stir controversy and discussion. Judging by the "responses" to the column, the Facebook posters that Gannett caters to are pretty well split down the middle (surprise ... surprise). Sports writers have a pretty nice perch from where they're sitting at their keyboard -- all they've got to do is find a new twist to an already existing question, run with the proverbial ball, "provoke thought and meaningful dialogue (as they like to say)" and then move on to the next "create a solution to the next 'problem' they create".

As one guy responded, and I'm paraphrasing "Three weeks ago, this wasn't an issue" ... and by-and-large, it wasn't. I am certainly not an advocate of dumping Capers in mid-season ... potentially not even after the season -- AND I'VE ALWAYS DESPISED THE 3-4 'rubber band defensive' schemes that Rodgers and the offense has to apple polish each week.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not cutting and pasting all of that. I was pis
I posted a article about why Kuhn is more valuable than we know..

I was actually shocked on the reasons...Read it if you havent
I read it. It was very interesting and irritating at the same time. He does a ton of stuff that you don't think about but its also irritating that he has to cover for other guys.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, I'll bite. Outside of Richard Sherman, please give me a run down of every position they drafted that's better than ours. My guess is they've hit on a few and missed on a few, same as us.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I, for one, have never claimed Thompson is the best GM in the league; my claim is he’s one of the best. If it could be objectively determined who is the “the best” GM and HC every season, Packers fans who would only be happy if the Packers are currently employing “the best”, would be disappointed a lot.

Obviously the goal every season is to win a championship but it is unreasonable to expect that kind of success. Since there are 31 other teams chasing the same goal, is it even reasonable to expect one of 32 organizations to be able to be in contention for a title year after year after year? Obviously one measure of being in contention – the most important one IMO - is making the playoffs. Recent NFL history shows securing a first round bye is no guarantee of a championship; that just reinforces the idea that anything can happen in the playoffs, teams just need to make ‘em. That brings me back to Thompson being among the best GMs in the league: The Packers have made the playoffs in 5 of his 8 complete seasons, and 5 of 7 under McCarthy. And Packers fans have to like the trend as they’ve made the playoffs four consecutive seasons.

None of that is meant to convey the idea that I am satisfied with making the playoffs and losing in the first round. What I am attempting to convey is the idea of reasonable expectations along with the idea that even if it can be “proven” Thompson isn’t the best GM in the league, that really isn’t very important and doesn’t in itself, prove anything.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't think you can blame TT or Capers for these injuries...they have seriously hampered the development of this roster. That being said, this team was doing fine until Rodgers got hurt.

Would like to see the organization take a more serious approach to the massive number of injuries the team is suffering year after year... it isn't normal and there have to be reasons why this happens as much as it does in Green Bay.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
This is on TT's shoulder..should look closely at up dating DB's, bigger and stronger corners and safeties, when a packer DB laid down and brandon jacobs rolled over him for a TD with no effort to wrap up,is lack of a quality player at a quality position.and does anyone teach getting your hans up? until Clay batted down 2 balls I think we only had 1 all season could be wrong, but not enough of that…..

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I don't think injuries can be completely blamed in the GM but I will say that injuries help highlight the lack of depth that the GM has provided for the team. When the season is done, all that matters are records. I'm not sure it's off base to say that the defensive players in last year's draft have been underwhelming overall.

I think his main point is that people suddenly want Capers' head but they fail to realize that TT made a tremendous effort in the 2012 draft to get guys for a defense that was terrible in 2011. Those guys that TT drafted haven't contributed much. Hence the reason the improvement since 2011 isn't that strong.
TT drafts the people, but Capers is suppose to coach them properly, its his lack of over site that has failed this defense…..

H

HardRightEdge

Then there's John Carlson. 20 years in scouting with the Packers except for one year in Seattle. Off he goes to take the GM job in KC this off season and turns over 32 of 53 roster spots this year with what we might say considerable success. That too should give one pause.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone please explain what "injury prone" means. Is it based on genetics, recklessness, weakness, fear of contact, mental deficiency, infectious disease, what? And if you've got it, how do you get rid of it? Matthew Stafford missed 19 of his first 32 games as a Lion. He was injury prone for sure. Now he's started 40-some straight games. Is he still injury prone, in remission; or did he have just a mild case of injury prone disease? Is Eddie Lacy injury prone because he missed some games in college. Bart Starr missed a season at Alabama with a bad back. Obviously injury prone. I would say injury is a normal byproduct of the game of football. The problem is identifying the injury prone players who will enter the Hall of Fame, like Starr; vs those who never play in the NFL, like Harrell.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I have never been one to come down on a player for getting injured you just never know when it will happen, or if a guy gets hurt a lot because that happens, there is so much pride and pressure to get back out there that I do not know if it is enough quality players to fill the positions, If the guy takes steroids to get back faster he is a cheat, if he takes to long to heal he is a slacker, this is a high risk sport, players and management both know whats at stake,can you go to Las Vegas, and roll 7's all day without crapping out NO…I have never heard of player who ever wanted to be injured or have repeat injurys, we just have to accept this as fact and not and excuse for lack of success or failure...

Last edited:

Bignutz

I'm a victim of coicumstances!
Reaction score
Mike Vandermause is no friend of Ted Thompson, in fact he might be Bus Cook's alter ego. In one of his latest articles (http://www.packersnews.com/article/20131114/PKR07/311140406), he claims that the defensive woes should fall on Capers shoulders, but on TT's. He goes on to show how most of TT's defensive picks aren't paying off. His biggest evidence was the 2012 draft in which Perry, Worthy, and Heyward have been mostly injured and McMillan hasn't progressed. He clearly blames TT for not providing good horses for Capers.

My question is: How much blame should a GM take for players that fail due to injury?

In my opinion, a GM deserves total blame in a Justin Harrell situation, a guy with perpetual injuries in college that is hampered by them in the pros. However, I don't remember reading that Perry/Worthy/Heyward were injury concerns. How would a GM know? Is he just cursed, is it bad luck, or a mix of the two?

No blame at all. How can a GM be to blame for injuries. Might as well blame him for lousy weather.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/article/...tab|mostpopular|text|FRONTPAGE&nclick_check=1

The Green Bay Packers’ defense has been a disappointment this season, but calls for coordinator Dom Capers’ head are irrational

A coach’s job is to put his team in position to succeed, but then it’s up to the players to produce on the field.
Is it Capers’ fault that Packers defensive backs can’t make plays on the ball, and then turn sure interceptions into opponent touchdowns?

Is it Capers’ fault that would-be tacklers get juked out of their socks by opposing running backs and turn short gains into long runs?

Is it Capers’ fault that he is forced to use below-average talent at one of the safety positions?

Is it Capers’ fault that the injury-ravaged linebacker corps has been rendered null and void at times with rookies trying to fill major roles?

Capers can’t be expected to perform miracles with the available talent.The failure to infuse the defense with impact players through the draft over the past four years is catching up with the Packers, and attempting to blame their problems on Capers is short-sighted

There are 3 pages, so go read it

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why make a new thread when there is already one going about Capers? Sort of ironic as you've been the one hammering home that point to others.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is about blaming TED

Read the article and the 3 pages where they point out why Ted is to blame...

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never said it wasn't about focusing the blame on TT, but it would make a riveting post in the Fire Capers thread. Since it is along the same subject matter and all as well as actually offering some compelling points as to why not to call for Dom's head.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The roster is what it is. No team has 11 all pro players on defense. He has to adjust and make the best tasting chicken sandwich he can and I just don't think he is willing to compromise his scheme and do that. I don't agree with the part about him putting the players in the best situation to succeed. He is willing to live and die with the scheme regardless of the players ability to run it.

I can't accept the communication issues. Its been 3 years. Its the same mistakes game after game.

I would rather rather have a coach that can get the most out of average players than one who requires elite players to run his exotic schemes. If TT can't or won't get the elite players then get me a coach who can work with the guys he has gotten.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why make a new thread when there is already one going about Capers? Sort of ironic as you've been the one hammering home that point to others.

There actually was the same article posted already..so I merged them

But original title did not reflect the title of the article...

So when I did mine, his thread didnt show up in the similar thread program we have going..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The roster is what it is. No team has 11 all pro players on defense. He has to adjust and make the best tasting chicken sandwich he can and I just don't think he is willing to compromise his scheme and do that. I don't agree with the part about him putting the players in the best situation to succeed. He is willing to live and die with the scheme regardless of the players ability to run it.

I can't accept the communication issues. Its been 3 years. Its the same mistakes game after game.

I would rather rather have a coach that can get the most out of average players than one who requires elite players to run his exotic schemes. If TT can't or won't get the elite players then get me a coach who can work with the guys he has gotten.

The miscommunication issue is a combo of both players and coach..

But Dom is only playing the ones he is given, so there again issue lays on Ted's shoes..

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT drafts the people, but Capers is suppose to coach them properly, its his lack of over site that has failed this defense…..

This is exactly what I don't get. TT gets a pass because of injuries. Many of those injuries have been to defensive players that were drafted to help the defense. Why does TT get a pass and yet Capers doesn't? How can you blame a coach for not improving the defense when the guys he was given are hurt?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, I'll bite. Outside of Richard Sherman, please give me a run down of every position they drafted that's better than ours. My guess is they've hit on a few and missed on a few, same as us.

One thing not covered by the draft, Schneider is willing to trade for players that have really helped the team. Marshawn Lynch is one of the best RBs in the NFL and, while this is based on projection, I don't see how anyone can say that Harvin will not improve an otherwise nondescript WR group.

As for the draft, on defense: Bruce Irvin, Malcolm Smith, Earl Thomas, Walter Thurmond, Kam Chancellor. Outside of Matthews, all of these are better players at their position than guys that TT has drafted. Now, I didn't go through every player, just the good ones (and I obviously left out Sherman which is basically the equivalent of Matthews just at a different position).

On offense: Russell Wilson (more impressive than TT having Rodgers fall to him), Michael Bowie, Golden tate, signed Doug Baldwin as undrafted free agent.

Overall I might be tempted to say that TT is slightly better at the draft, though the difference is minimal. Where I think Schneider has excelled recently is in adding players outside the draft. Lynch, Harvin, Avril, Tony McDaniel, Sidney Rice and Zach Miller have all been great players for the Seahawks (assuming Harvin will be great as well). I think Seattle is a great example of a team that uses every possible avenue for improving the team.

Members online

Latest posts