What positions will be the focus in the 2013 draft?

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we'll see TT continue to improve the middle of this defense.

As long as the middle of this defense continues to be the reason we don't win our last game, he'll have to keep improving it.

We're getting back two 1st round draft pick offensive linemen next year who were injured. Which helps our offensive line. And Cobb, Jones, Nelson, Boykin and Ross is solid if there are no additions to the WR position.

I could also see us taking a TE somewhere with Finley's uncertainty. Probably later.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Jonathan Jenkins fell to Packers at #26, do you think we should take him? Several mocks have us taking him there over players like Jonathan Cooper and Kevin Minter.

I'd like to see us get a real ILB like Minter or Ogletree or a guy who can take over at C, but Jenkins would be a helluva replacement for Pickett.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I wouldn't go WR with the first pick however to get a great WR and then have Jones still there in the 2nd sets up a great draft. I loved some of the other choices and liked others...but I didn't feel there was a waste of a pick in them. Do you not like the picks or do you feel it isn't BPA which is our MO.
I feel the players don't fit the stereotype for the guys we tend to target. As you said, there isn't enough value to draft a WR in the 1, Randle needs to add 15 lbs and play with the same physicality he did last year, Williams is the complete opposite of what we look for in a TE. Jones, McCray, and Hansen fit, but 2 IOL when brass likes EDS, who will probably get tendered, and Lang? It doesn't feel right.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel the players don't fit the stereotype for the guys we tend to target. As you said, there isn't enough value to draft a WR in the 1, Randle needs to add 15 lbs and play with the same physicality he did last year, Williams is the complete opposite of what we look for in a TE. Jones, McCray, and Hansen fit, but 2 IOL when brass likes EDS, who will probably get tendered, and Lang? It doesn't feel right.

Kudos...I agree more with your assessment then I thought I would. I guess I got caught in the fact I felt for the grade I'd give the players they were picked respectfully lower round wise then they should have been (outside of the WR, as I too feel not worth it). It'll be interesting for sure to see what avenue TT goes.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really Need: nothing

Need: Center - A good Center will go along way to helping our line
MLB - If we got a really good MLB playmaker, I think our Defense would go from average to dominant
DT/DE - Another big body who can collapse the pocket and take up blockers. I think Neal, Daniels, Wilson, and hopefully Worthy are all still young and will improve. But personally, I would keep a steady supply of the big boys coming via the draft hoping at least 1 separates from the herd and is dominant.

Good to Find: CB depth;
OLB depth: Behind Clay and Perry my hope for another player to emerge is slight. Maybe Moses.

Restock the Backups: WR; we lose Driver and Jennings, time to add a good player or two to develop and eventually replace Jordy and Jones.

OT/G: We have talent, there is just an injury scare at OT.

Good to go:
S: Woodson gone, I think one of the young pups will step to the plate next year.
TE: I think we have some good players here. We will give Finley another year to prove himself.
RB: We go with Benson or Harris to start the season - I am comfortable with that.
QB: I think we are set at back up QB, I hope Coleman is showing some promise.

That being said, if a impact S, TE, RB, or even QB falls to us, we should jump on it at any pick.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
It seems you have it pegged about right by my thinking Amish. I wouldn't be upset with any of the first three needs. I'd prefer a DT/DE over a Center over a MLB as I think there might be some depth later for those.
I prefer a DT over a DE as I'd like to see some beef in there as Pickett's replacement
I think that MLB may become a strength. I'm still banking on Manning making a difference. TT traded up for him and I think they might see something there. What a homer hey?
I'd like to see a safety along with the possible CB depth as well. It would be nice if Richardson becomes a run force at safety also. He has the tools and the makeup to do it. I do believe there will be at least one OLB taken.
What's exciting is that the Packers can go so many different ways. I bet nobody comes even close to the actual picks. It's just as likely they pick a WR in the 2nd than a C or MLB.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems you have it pegged about right by my thinking Amish. I wouldn't be upset with any of the first three needs. I'd prefer a DT/DE over a Center over a MLB as I think there might be some depth later for those.
I prefer a DT over a DE as I'd like to see some beef in there as Pickett's replacement
I think that MLB may become a strength. I'm still banking on Manning making a difference. TT traded up for him and I think they might see something there. What a homer hey?
I'd like to see a safety along with the possible CB depth as well. It would be nice if Richardson becomes a run force at safety also. He has the tools and the makeup to do it. I do believe there will be at least one OLB taken.
What's exciting is that the Packers can go so many different ways. I bet nobody comes even close to the actual picks. It's just as likely they pick a WR in the 2nd than a C or MLB.
I'm still a BPA policy supporter. If the best available at our pick is a CB, so be it. We take him and smile.

I agree with Manning. He overcame a lot without complaining or using it as an excuse. To do what he did tells me the kid has a lot of guts and fortitude - he could very well step to the plate this year.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I'm still a BPA policy supporter. If the best available at our pick is a CB, so be it. We take him and smile.

I agree with Manning. He overcame a lot without complaining or using it as an excuse. To do what he did tells me the kid has a lot of guts and fortitude - he could very well step to the plate this year.
Yes, BPA always, if you think the BPA is better than what you have, it makes sense to grab him. That's what makes the draft so exciting.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Minus QB. I would be pretty livid if we took a QB

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nsive-lineman-nixed-by-packers-medical-staff/

Josh Alper said:
Jovan Olafioye was named the best offensive lineman in the CFL this season, raising his profile and helping him get a look from NFL teams for the second straight season.
For the second straight season, medical issues have kept him from landing a contract. Olafioye was turned down by the Packers’ medical staff after they evaluated his medical records. At issue is medication Olafioye takes because of a family disposition toward high blood pressure, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Olafioye actually signed a contract with the Rams last year before getting dinged in the physical because, per Olafioye, he’d stopped taking his medication.
The good news is that Olafioye has other suitors. He says the Ravens and Steelers are among a half-dozen teams with interest and he also said that the Packers doctors thought that he’d wind up landing with an NFL team willing to take a bigger risk than they’re willing to take in Green Bay.
“They’re sure I’ll be playing for somebody in the NFL this year,” said Olafioye. “That was encouraging. They said my situation is controllable but they didn’t want to take that risk. With their rules they can’t mess with my situation.”
Given all the interest in CFL pass rushers, it makes sense that there would also be interest in guys that have been able to stop them. Now Olafioye just needs to find a way to convince someone his situation is worth messing with.

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the injuries section. This thread seemed more appropriate

H

HardRightEdge

If Jonathan Jenkins fell to Packers at #26, do you think we should take him? Several mocks have us taking him there over players like Jonathan Cooper and Kevin Minter.

I'd like to see us get a real ILB like Minter or Ogletree or a guy who can take over at C, but Jenkins would be a helluva replacement for Pickett.

It's a distinct possibility when you consider both Pickett and Raji could be gone in 2 years. NTs are hard to replace and this is a deep first round on the D-Line.

There are too many question marks at this point. Finley, Woodson, Sherrod, Perry. TE, S, OT and OLB could jump up in the needs mix.

One could make a case for best available player at any position except QB, TB, OG or CB, pending releases, injury progress and FA activity.

It looks like Bishop is coming along well, and is expected to participate in OTAs which would cover one big need.

smuggler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In vague order of need

NT - This is probably Raji's last season with the team and definitely Pickett's
C - EDS was okay as a stopgap, but he's undersized. We need a bigger body so EDS can resume his role as C/G backup.
TE - Finley is inconsistent, will most likely be gone next season, and his backups are either injured (Quarless) or marginal players (Williams, Taylor, Crabtree)
WR - Jennings is gone. Driver has retired. We should probably spend a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a receiver. Based on past history (and this is even incuding Terrence Murphy, who looked good before his injury) I have confidence that GB can find a nice player in that ballpark.
RB - I liked DuJaun Harris' play at the end of the season, but we should search for another back. It might not be a bad idea to start scouting the undrafted ranks for competition for Kuhn, as well. He's older now and isn't that great anyway.
ILB - Bishop is good. DJ Smith seems instinctive. But both are coming off injuries. Hawk is serviceable, but we can't assume everyone will be ship-shape by the start of the season. Brad Jones played alright, but now he's a free agent and probably won't be back.
QB - I don't think the guy we picked up in the 7th last year is a solution. Harrell is way talent-limited.

H

HardRightEdge

I'll say this about EDS:

He outweighs this year's first and second team All-Pros, and out-lifted both of them in 225lb. reps at the Combine/Pro Days. He's a couple inches shorter than those guys, and about the same size as Wells.

I too believe there are question marks with EDS, but size and strength are not an issue.

H

HardRightEdge

I bet simon has the better rookie season -_-

nfldraftscout.com noted that in his one day of practice at the Senior Bowl he looked like a fish out of water in coverage. Not linkable or copyable...just go there search by name.

We spent a first round pick last season on a guy with that profile.

Simon then withdrew from the Senior Bowl with the same shoulder injury that bothered him all season. He then went Dr. James Andrews for a consult. Some serious due diligence would be in order. Declining to lift at the Combine would be red flag.

smuggler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with Max Unger, but the AP is notorious for their love of Maurkice Pouncey. He's undersized and vastly overrated. He's a decent, top-20 center on a team that has a legacy at the position.

In the AFC North, he's the 4th best starting center. He's the second best center in his own family.

That said, he's better than EDS.

H

HardRightEdge

I did a little more look-see on John Jenkins:

Positives:

- Check out the 2012 Missouri game highlights at nfldraftscout.com (unlinkable). The first things that hit you are that the guy is huge (6'3", 360 lbs.), strong, but shows good short distance quickness. And how often can you say a 360 lb. man has a motor and is athletic, relatively speaking? The 4th. quarter is an eye opener. There a couple of beastly flash plays late in the game. Often a man this size is gassed by that point...in this game it's the O-Linemen HE wore down despite drawing double teams throughout this game. If we were to work this guy into Jenkins snaps it might light a fire under Raji's butt...and opponents cannot double team both of them.

- Note Georgia plays a 3-4 with Jenkins playing both inside and outside...it's a scheme fit, with versatility the Packers like. It's interesting to note that his line mate Kwame Geathers, another 350+ pounder, announced for the draft after his junior year...there's no comparison on the film.

- Several good reviews out of the Senior Bowl. nfldraftscout.com was effusive in their praise..."simply bigger, faster and--as shocking as it sounds--quicker than virtually any other lineman on the field."

- I've seen one source comment he's not a sloppy 360 lbs...naturally broad and pretty solid. It will be interesting to see what he lifts at the Combine; it could be a major number to go along with what the scale shows. Scouts will want to see what he looks like in shorts.

- We share the same birthplace. ;)

Negatives:

- In that Missouri game, you'll see some poor ball awareness, particularly in the earlier part of the game. At times he over-commits, loses leverage, and gets pushed out of the play...needs polish.

- He'll be 24 years old in July.

- You have to be worried about conditioning with a man this size.

- He was a JC transfer and was bounced out of this season's bowl game for academics, so you can figure study is not his strong point. But if you look at an interview with the guy, he's not an idiot, and might even qualify as bright among NFL D-Linemen. It just looks like he majored in football.

Summary:

I'm not settled on Jenkins as my favorite for the first round, but I think he's a strong contender, while being realistic about who will be available without trading up. A lot will depend on the Combine. A good showing might move him out of reach, though I admit to not knowing the NT needs around the league. Rumor has it the Eagles are contemplating a switch to 3-4; beyond that I'm unclear. I'm reminded of my favorite post-Senior Bowl pick from last year...Fletcher Cox as Cullin Jenkins replacement...who moved from low 1st. round to #12 on the strength of his Combine work.

With uncertainties regarding both Raji and Pickett beyond 2013, the Packers will be giving this guy a hard look. And if they are already dubious about Raji's cost/benefit past 2013, it will be a very hard look.

smuggler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's actually my ideal pick. I'm not sure whether or not he will make it down to us. There's this guy, who I think we could target sometime in the 3rd round.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

H

HardRightEdge

That's actually my ideal pick. I'm not sure whether or not he will make it down to us. There's this guy, who I think we could target sometime in the 3rd round.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He looks like he plays high, which could be worked on (pad level, doncha know :confused:). He probably didn't need to worry about technique so much in Division II. We won't have a definite need (barring injuries) until 2014, so he could be a guy to develop for a year. He looks quick and has some motor for a big man, and you can't teach that. Since we can't fill every need in the first round, I'd say he's a possibility.

If Finley's gone and Eifert or Ertz are still on the board, you'd have to give them strong consideration for the "2013 precedes 2014" factor. We also don't have anybody on the bench we can say with confidence will be productive receivers at TE, even if healthy. Both these guys are inline-and-slot receivers who have weaknesses as blockers. I think I'd give the edge to Eifert; he looks a little quicker, and his route running looks more sophisticated. Both have good hands, which is where it starts and ends.

More candidates to come....

smuggler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, there is no reason to dump Finley. He's still a plus guy at TE, even if he's not worth what they're paying him. In the worst case, they can get some kind of draft pick for him, but I just don't see it. Guys like Kuhn, TWilliams, Woodson will be gone (or in Wood's case, restructured) first, if we enter an exodus for cap reasons.

However, a second viable TE and a player we can develop for the future is nothing to squawk at... I'm not much of a fan of Ertz in the first though.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Eagles 34 is official.

Jenkins did all that at the Senior Bowl with what was considered a "sloppy body"

Eifert over Ertz, and even Escobar over Ertz if we consider system.

smuggler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no way Jenkins will get past Pittsburgh, if my hunch is right. And, sadly, I believe the Bears will take Eifert.

H

HardRightEdge

Eagles 34 is official.

Jenkins did all that at the Senior Bowl with what was considered a "sloppy body".

Eifert over Ertz, and even Escobar over Ertz if we consider system.

"Sloppy body" is relative. 6'3", 360lb. football players are basically sumo wrestlers in miniature. I've read he's less sloppy than one might expect. Scouts will have a better idea when he strips to shorts and gets on the scale at the Combine. On the other hand, if he's at one of those Combine prep training centers and shows up at 340 lbs. and lifts like one would expect, he'll be out of reach.

I agree Ertz is probably not a good value in the 1st. Combine will tell us if that's right or wrong.

IMO, there is no reason to dump Finley. He's still a plus guy at TE, even if he's not worth what they're paying him. In the worst case, they can get some kind of draft pick for him, but I just don't see it. Guys like Kuhn, TWilliams, Woodson will be gone (or in Wood's case, restructured) first, if we enter an exodus for cap reasons.

However, a second viable TE and a player we can develop for the future is nothing to squawk at... I'm not much of a fan of Ertz in the first though.

I think Williams will stick, unless the team has a good idea that Williams' shoulder nerve damage from 2011 has lingered and is the cause of his sudden loss of physicality. Otherwise, he'll get every chance to return to 2010 form. Heyward's set at nickel; House hasn't been able to stay healthy. If House beats out Williams, then it could get interesting, but that won't happen until after the draft and worthy FAs are gone. Shields still needs to get signed, which might not be a slam dunk. A good team in need of a cover guy might give up a low 1st. rounder for him under a high restricted tag if management tries to cheap out. Williams is kind of a replay of Shields last offseason...a very good cover guy (which is not easy to replace) who suddenly can't tackle well. He'll likely get every chance to return to form.

Personally, given the choice between Woodson at $10 mil and Finley at $8 mil, I'd take Finley. And I'm not sure what renegotiating Woodson would accomplish...his physical skills have eroded to the point where he shouldn't be on the island, we've got our nickel back, he's not the physical guy (and not that effective to begin with) at safety, and the serial shoulder injuries are troublesome. But as we know, this isn't fantasy football...intangible factors (leader, HOFer, PR issues) can play into the equation. I would be neither shocked nor amazed if they negotiated him down and penciled him in at safety, but it's not like he'll go down to $2 mil per year...more like the $5 mil they let Driver carry in 2011. My ideal "fantasy" scenario, taking the cap into account, would be to release Woodson and use the money to sign Goldson if SF decides they can't afford the tag, release Finley for cap cushion, and replace Finley with a draftee. Barring Goldson, at least a solid (less costly) SS in FA or a talent in the first 3 rounds.

Kuhn's salary is not large enough to be a major issue; management loves him in a Jarrett Bush sort of way, even if he's seemed to have lost effectiveness.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
"Sloppy body" is relative. 6'3", 360lb. football players are basically sumo wrestlers in miniature. I've read he's less sloppy than one might expect. Scouts will have a better idea when he strips to shorts and gets on the scale at the Combine. On the other hand, if he's at one of those Combine prep training centers and shows up at 340 lbs. and lifts like one would expect, he'll be out of reach.
They already saw him in skives on the scale at the Senior Bowl weigh in. I heard scouts were disappointed until he took the field and blew them all away. Your last sentence is unfortunately correct.

Members online

Latest posts