What positions will be the focus in the 2013 draft?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, this defense still looks soft, and that's why I want to see an ILB or a NT as our 1st pick who is really a beast. Yes I know that stat-wise we're better, but poor tackling is a problem that hasn't gone away. I find this defense to be suspect still. Definite improvement in the secondary, although we could use a solid SS.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
To me, this defense still looks soft, and that's why I want to see an ILB or a NT as our 1st pick who is really a beast. Yes I know that stat-wise we're better, but poor tackling is a problem that hasn't gone away. I find this defense to be suspect still. Definite improvement in the secondary, although we could use a solid SS.
Would you say Raji had a "soft" performance last week? BTW, MD Jennings is the only FS we have on our roster.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
- Unless you're very confident that EDS is going to be the guy going forward, drafting a center would be a good idea. Travis Frederick would be a very good fit in the late 2nd and can play either center or guard.

- It would not surprise me to see us take an impact RB or WR in the 1st round if one falls and is available at the end of the round. I'm fine with our RB situation, though, so I wouldn't take a RB at all unless it's one early that has a chance to be elite. Need to take a receiver at some point, though.

- D-Line is a possibility early as well. Pickett likely won't be back, and 2013 may be Raji's last year with us.

- If Hawk doesn't return, ILB may be a position of need.

- I think they'll take a project TE as an eventual replacement for Finley.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought so myself two months ago, but since then, Barclay has looked like a nice surprise, and they appear to be pretty high on EDS as the possible C of the future.

Plus there's a healthy Bulaga, and presumably, Sherrod, coming back next year. I know Sherrod has been a disappointment, but they will still give him every chance to succeed.

So I don't know if they need as much help as I once thought.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Disagree with both of the first 2 posts. EDS had his first real test yesterday and performed admirably, and unless Sherrod is unable to return (and they WILL know come draft time) OL will not be addressed outside of possibly depth.

WR and especially RB do not carry enough value to draft one in the first round. Will probably both see a pick

DL could go early, but is not a certainty

Hawk never left, Bishop did, and anyone who thinks Bishop will not return either doesn't know much about his injury (I've seen scores of people come back from torn quads/hammys) or expects him to be cut. Unless we trade him, Hawk will be around until at least 2014

Receiving TE is a big possibility, we have copious blockers.

Safety, OLB also big possibilities. FB and K will be brought in from the undrafted.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT drafts an OT I would put it on a similar level to Matt Millen drafting three WR with 4 first round picks about a decade ago. TT would do the same thing just instead of in 3 years (2003-2005) it would be in 4 years (2009-2013) and with not as early of picks as Millen had.

A hybrid type TE or playmaker at FS, ILB or DL in the early rounds would be my first choice if EDS shows promise again this week.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need help at ILB. I know we have 2 hurt now, but that's typical of us, to have guys injured.
I'd also like to get a big big TE. Who knows what Finley's future is in Green Bay.

We thought we LOVED our DBs until Peterson keeps shredding them...
And how about start getting some guys with muscle and some physicality back there?
I thought McMillian was that guy.... let's give him some time.
Actually I think we are very deep back there at DB.
Maybe just give them some new weight supplements and lifting schedule?

Try to find a Justin Smith, JJ Watt type of guy on the DL? Or is that Mike Neal?

Teddy will have the luxury of being able to take the BPA more than ever because it seems that we have decent depth almost everywhere.... assuming Bulaga comes back fine... and then maybe Sherrod too, who knows. Can't count on him though. A shame as he was a 1st round pick and a potential cornerstone bookend tackle for us.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
We need help at ILB. I know we have 2 hurt now, but that's typical of us, to have guys injured.
I'd also like to get a big big TE. Who knows what Finley's future is in Green Bay.

We thought we LOVED our DBs until Peterson keeps shredding them...
And how about start getting some guys with muscle and some physicality back there?
I thought McMillian was that guy.... let's give him some time.
Actually I think we are very deep back there at DB.
Maybe just give them some new weight supplements and lifting schedule?

Try to find a Justin Smith, JJ Watt type of guy on the DL? Or is that Mike Neal?

Teddy will have the luxury of being able to take the BPA more than ever because it seems that we have decent depth almost everywhere.... assuming Bulaga comes back fine... and then maybe Sherrod too, who knows. Can't count on him though. A shame as he was a 1st round pick and a potential cornerstone bookend tackle for us.
Watt and Smith are guys that can play the run VERY well. Guys like Raji that can rush from base. I'll take one more guy like Pickett who can consistently kill the run over a nickel rusher. If you look above you'll see I got ripped for saying we seem to be inept at developing pass rushers, or at least doing so in a timely fashion. We may already have the pass rushers we need, it could just take 4-5 years before they start showing up.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Sherrod has been a disappointment, but they will still give him every chance to succeed.

Sherrod's played for us for what, five minutes? He hasn't had an opportunity to be a disappointment yet.

Hjalmar Davidson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT and his staff are excellent judges of talent. They will stick the BPA strategy pretty much, but I would think the OL will be a priority in this draft. Its awfully hard to pass up a good pass rusher however. TT is the master at picking up good WRs and RBs after the first couple rounds.

The fact that the Pack has won so many games (and 1 super-bowl), over the past few years with a butt-load of injuries shows the level of talent & depth he has assembled. IN TED WE TRUST !:D

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to address the OL draft a WR,TE. I'd like to see us draft another "Gilbert Brown" to play beside Raji.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft already? Is everyone conceding the season just like that? I hope for pick #32 in the first round.
Like we took Derek Sherrod at 32. Typical bad fricking luck for us. Coulda been a steal of a pick. Guy was expected to go much higher, as was Bryan Bulaga the year before. Where's he now? Oh yeah, also on the ***** sideline injured.
Meanwhile, ALL of San Fran's high picks on their OL continue to stay healthy and maul people.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Like we took Derek Sherrod at 32. Typical bad fricking luck for us. Coulda been a steal of a pick. Guy was expected to go much higher, as was Bryan Bulaga the year before. Where's he now? Oh yeah, also on the ***** sideline injured.
Meanwhile, ALL of San Fran's high picks on their OL continue to stay healthy and maul people.
That was the RR curse, not pick 32. Heck it might have been both since it lasted 2 years lol

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
S
San Fran drafted AJ Jenkins with their first pick last year and he has yet to catch a pass.

Mike Goeden

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's look at the simple stat of which Quaterback was sacked most in the league. Aaron Rodgers was sacked 51 times and he is a mobile quaterback. Phillip Rivers was #2 and he was sacked 49 times. If we did not have a mobile/elusive quarterback it would be 75-80 sacks... Greenbay has one of (if not the best) QB in the game. Need insurance for him. Our offensive line is one of the worst in the league evidance by the sacks and the sub par run game. It clearly shows we need O-line help. Plus picking late in the draft what is always there? Probowl caliber Guards and Centers. Go get the road grader in the first round.

Barret Jones (if available) won the Outland trophy for best OT (2011), the Rimington for best C (2012), and he won the Campbell Trophy (2012) for the Best and Brightest Football player. He is smart, strong, and could play Center, Guard, or RT. Watch the natioanl championship game and pay attention to Center Barret Jones for Alabama.

Rd 2 = Safety
Rd 3 = WR or Guard

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts