What positions will be the focus in the 2013 draft?

The Boatman

@JB3LL
Reaction score
Sorry bout that, still a little frustrated at the last guy. My bad I apologize man
no worries bud! what do you think they're gonna do with finely and Crosby? I want them both gone. I like dj Williams lot, when he plays I like what I see. I hate finely on the field. can't trust him. and perhaps with Crosby so awful, they draft a kicker 1st round haha

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
1. viable is the same word you could use to describe Jennings and Burnett so I don't see us going FS, although with TT you never know. with all the guys we've drafted at the safety position I think TT likes who he has.
2. yeah they're HURT. Sherrod hadn't played, so that doesn't mean he's good. we don't know. we don't know if he can come back. but I like jones more as a center/guard. EDS has been fine, but he doesn't strike me as a great player, just average. jones has the potential to be an pro bowler for a long time, and if there's a guard injury you could move him to guard from center or leave him and have the depth for EDS to step in.
3. wasn't looking for a pass rusher on the DL. more of a run stuffer to play next to raji. Pickett is getting old, and we need another DE/DT for the future.
4. we still need one more pass rusher at linebacker, but I don't think we will grab one in the 1st unless a top player falls. I just think we need one. we could go MLB if we let hawk go. and the rook would compete against dj smith for the other backer next to bishop.

I think it's going to come down to OL or DL. my opinion.
1 I wouldn't call Jennings viable "serviceable" is about right, and Burnett needs to stay on SS where he can be a bigger contributor
2 Sherrod has all of the physical tools and some of the best footwork I have ever seen. I guarantee if he comes back like he was he'll be huge for our offense. EDS is still an anomaly. Can't really fault you for picking either position at the current time. Especially when I'm not high on EDS myself.
3 We DO need a run stuffer. We only have three currently on the roster, and as you said, Pickett is getting up there (still our best DL) preferrably a guy who can play NT in a pinch.
4 Absolutely true. Perry will develop, Clay is Clay, Moses and Walden can rotate in and be effective. But we may not be able to re-sign Walden, and Walden on the field with Moses is at best average.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
no worries bud! what do you think they're gonna do with finely and Crosby? I want them both gone. I like dj Williams lot, when he plays I like what I see. I hate finely on the field. can't trust him. and perhaps with Crosby so awful, they draft a kicker 1st round haha
Fin is probably gone, I like him alot, he's had some good games lately, but the price is wrong, Bob. Dj has quietly become one of our better blockers and has been taking snaps in the backfield with Taylor, but he hasn't showed off his receiving ability. I don't like Quarless, never have. Crabtree is my favorite and has always impressed me with his effort. As it stands, Finley is our only real receiving target at TE.

Crosby will get his chance to fight for his job in the offseason, and may very well win. We need big leg kickers because we are too efficient in the redzone for short kicks. It'l probably be a UDFA they bring in, though I could see maybe 6th round down picking one up. Remember that Robbie Gould and Justin Tucker were not drafted.

The Boatman

@JB3LL
Reaction score
1 I wouldn't call Jennings viable "serviceable" is about right, and Burnett needs to stay on SS where he can be a bigger contributor
2 Sherrod has all of the physical tools and some of the best footwork I have ever seen. I guarantee if he comes back like he was he'll be huge for our offense. EDS is still an anomaly. Can't really fault you for picking either position at the current time. Especially when I'm not high on EDS myself.
3 We DO need a run stuffer. We only have three currently on the roster, and as you said, Pickett is getting up there (still our best DL) preferrably a guy who can play NT in a pinch.
4 Absolutely true. Perry will develop, Clay is Clay, Moses and Walden can rotate in and be effective. But we may not be able to re-sign Walden, and Walden on the field with Moses is at best average.

1. it just seems with the amount of time they're giving to these young guys that they think their future is with one of those players, although if they go FS, it'll probably be Reid.
2. I liked Sherrod coming out, I think if he heals up he's the best option. I like EDS, I just like him more of a rotational guy. I'm neither for or against him. he's just kinda there.
3. if we didn't go jones, I really want another run stuffer or DE that can play the run. our defense was at its best when we had Jenkins. he made it so you couldn't double clay every time, or Jenkins would wreck havoc. perhaps if worthy continues to develop he's the man for the job. Neal has also been coming on of late, so i definitely expect a run stuffer.

The Boatman

@JB3LL
Reaction score
Fin is probably gone, I like him alot, he's had some good games lately, but the price is wrong, Bob. Dj has quietly become one of our better blockers and has been taking snaps in the backfield with Taylor, but he hasn't showed off his receiving ability. I don't like Quarless, never have. Crabtree is my favorite and has always impressed me with his effort. As it stands, Finley is our only real receiving target at TE.

Crosby will get his chance to fight for his job in the offseason, and may very well win. We need big leg kickers because we are too efficient in the redzone for short kicks. It'l probably be a UDFA they bring in, though I could see maybe 6th round down picking one up. Remember that Robbie Gould and Justin Tucker were not drafted.

I'm not a fan of finely, strictly because I don't trust those hands. I like Taylor and Crabtree a ton. I think quarless is a poor mans finely honestly. i agree, finely is too expensive for his lack of production, plus they need all the money they can get for Rodgers Matthews and raji.
I doubt they draft a kicker. I think they'll definitely sign one though, they're just so available on the FA market there's no need to waste any pick on a kicker. I like crosby's leg, I just can't stand the inconsistency.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
1. it just seems with the amount of time they're giving to these young guys that they think their future is with one of those players, although if they go FS, it'll probably be Reid.
2. I liked Sherrod coming out, I think if he heals up he's the best option. I like EDS, I just like him more of a rotational guy. I'm neither for or against him. he's just kinda there.
3. if we didn't go jones, I really want another run stuffer or DE that can play the run. our defense was at its best when we had Jenkins. he made it so you couldn't double clay every time, or Jenkins would wreck havoc. perhaps if worthy continues to develop he's the man for the job. Neal has also been coming on of late, so i definitely expect a run stuffer.
I'm not a fan of finely, strictly because I don't trust those hands. I like Taylor and Crabtree a ton. I think quarless is a poor mans finely honestly. i agree, finely is too expensive for his lack of production, plus they need all the money they can get for Rodgers Matthews and raji.
I doubt they draft a kicker. I think they'll definitely sign one though, they're just so available on the FA market there's no need to waste any pick on a kicker. I like crosby's leg, I just can't stand the inconsistency.
McMillian (SS) is a much better player than Jennings (FS) but the game is still slowing down for him, and they like to keep Burnett on SS, so he doesn't get much time. I still think this draft is too deep with too much value for TT not to pick a DB, and FS would definitely be the way he would go. Remember that these young guys have gotten most of their time because Woodson is out

Seems like all people remember about Jenkins was his pass rush, SMH. Neal is probably our best DE rusher. Injury was a big thing for him, but he's proving now that he is and can stay healthy. I love the way he is playing right now, and with Trgovac at the helm, the man WILL improve his run defense, making him the heir he was always meant to be. Jones should easily gain the girth our Defense demands, I'd love to grab him.

Finley has good hands until the D gets physical, then he falls apart. Quarless is a better blocker than receiver, so I really can't make the comp to Fin.

On Crosby, I couldn't have said that better myself. Matter of fact its almost verbatim to what I've said on a different thread.

Forgot to mention that Hawk's contract makes it inconvenient to release him before 2014. The weight loss has really improved his play though, his only struggles have come when he plays out of position.

The Boatman

@JB3LL
Reaction score
McMillian (SS) is a much better player than Jennings (FS) but the game is still slowing down for him, and they like to keep Burnett on SS, so he doesn't get much time. I still think this draft is too deep with too much value for TT not to pick a DB, and FS would definitely be the way he would go. Remember that these young guys have gotten most of their time because Woodson is out

Seems like all people remember about Jenkins was his pass rush, SMH. Neal is probably our best DE rusher. Injury was a big thing for him, but he's proving now that he is and can stay healthy. I love the way he is playing right now, and with Trgovac at the helm, the man WILL improve his run defense, making him the heir he was always meant to be. Jones should easily gain the girth our Defense demands, I'd love to grab him.

Finley has good hands until the D gets physical, then he falls apart. Quarless is a better blocker than receiver, so I really can't make the comp to Fin.

On Crosby, I couldn't have said that better myself. Matter of fact its almost verbatim to what I've said on a different thread.

Forgot to mention that Hawk's contract makes it inconvenient to release him before 2014. The weight loss has really improved his play though, his only struggles have come when he plays out of position.

i definitely think they go DB at some point in the draft. they were working in other guys even when Woodson was "starting" just because he plays all over the field, then they went more to him exclusively at FS when they saw Hayward could hold his own.

Jenkins was a do it all guy. one of my favorites. I never thought of him strictly as a rusher, does discredit to his impact. he was a solid run defender. huge reason why our D was so good during our run. but he demand the offense to account for him cause he could get to the QB or at least disrupt the pocket. I like Neal, I just wish he could stay healthy. I would like Simon in the draft, he reminds me of Jenkins, big motor. sure, he may be undersized but how strong he is and perhaps he will fall based on his measurables I think he could be a steal.

Finely I think just lost confidence, I think if he leaves he'll be really good. just needs a change of scenery. quarless is a better blocker, not as gifted as an athlete but would still make some plays like finely could, but his hands were also questionable.

Crosby, yeah kickers are literally everywhere. just sign a young guy out of college and you're set. or get a vet that's been around.

I actually love hawk. I just know people are calling for his head. a lot of times it's hard to tell if he's out of position or if the DL missed their gaps when he can't make a tackle. I think he's played good this year, our line just hasn't been helping ANY one else
out. but we're improving at the right time.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
i definitely think they go DB at some point in the draft. they were working in other guys even when Woodson was "starting" just because he plays all over the field, then they went more to him exclusively at FS when they saw Hayward could hold his own.

Jenkins was a do it all guy. one of my favorites. I never thought of him strictly as a rusher, does discredit to his impact. he was a solid run defender. huge reason why our D was so good during our run. but he demand the offense to account for him cause he could get to the QB or at least disrupt the pocket. I like Neal, I just wish he could stay healthy. I would like Simon in the draft, he reminds me of Jenkins, big motor. sure, he may be undersized but how strong he is and perhaps he will fall based on his measurables I think he could be a steal.

Finely I think just lost confidence, I think if he leaves he'll be really good. just needs a change of scenery. quarless is a better blocker, not as gifted as an athlete but would still make some plays like finely could, but his hands were also questionable.

Crosby, yeah kickers are literally everywhere. just sign a young guy out of college and you're set. or get a vet that's been around.

I actually love hawk. I just know people are calling for his head. a lot of times it's hard to tell if he's out of position or if the DL missed their gaps when he can't make a tackle. I think he's played good this year, our line just hasn't been helping ANY one else
out. but we're improving at the right time.
Wood plays SS

Not sold on Simon

Fin just set the franchise record for single season receptions by a TE.

Most of the mistakes I've seen this year are we played him out of position, or the DL whiffed

The Boatman

@JB3LL
Reaction score
Wood plays SS

Not sold on Simon

Fin just set the franchise record for single season receptions by a TE.

Most of the mistakes I've seen this year are we played him out of position, or the DL whiffed

"SS" when a guy plays more of a center field, and burnett's history of playing SS, I'm still considering Woodson a FS.

I've watched every game of Simon's and the guy doesn't quit. the trainer of OSU hasn't come up with a workout he can't do. freakishly strong. and he's got good speed.

Fin had a great game today, and nice past couple weeks. but that doesn't make up all of his inconsistency previous. even most of this year he has been inconsistent. finely is also top 4 in drop rate at I believe around 12% which is insanely high. we disagree on finely, not worth an argument.

agree on hawk, don't think when he made poor plays they were mainly his fault. DL hasn't helped, nor where he was playing on the field.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
"SS" when a guy plays more of a center field, and burnett's history of playing SS, I'm still considering Woodson a FS.

I've watched every game of Simon's and the guy doesn't quit. the trainer of OSU hasn't come up with a workout he can't do. freakishly strong. and he's got good speed.

Fin had a great game today, and nice past couple weeks. but that doesn't make up all of his inconsistency previous. even most of this year he has been inconsistent. finely is also top 4 in drop rate at I believe around 12% which is insanely high. we disagree on finely, not worth an argument.

agree on hawk, don't think when he made poor plays they were mainly his fault. DL hasn't helped, nor where he was playing on the field.
"SS" Strong-side Safety?

The Boatman

@JB3LL
Reaction score
"SS" Strong-side Safety?
I put it in quotes, because in today's NFL SS is not as defined. I would not describe Woodson as strong safety. he was may have be charted as such but him and Burnett often flipped roles based on assignment (whether he was center field or close to the line)

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching the last game I'm beginning to think that we need a top ILB. Hawk had a good season but he's getting old. Who knows whether Bishop will return to form. I wonder if Josh Simon could play ILB if we picked him up in round 2 or 3?

I still think we need to commit to improving our OL first and foremost.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
After watching the last game I'm beginning to think that we need a top ILB. Hawk had a good season but he's getting old. Who knows whether Bishop will return to form. I wonder if Josh Simon could play ILB if we picked him up in round 2 or 3?

I still think we need to commit to improving our OL first and foremost.
Hawk got beat in man coverage, my question is, why the hell was he covering?
No, Josh Simon could not.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because of the play of EDS at center, which has been very good the last two games, I'm changing my mind somewhat on who could be our 1st round draft choice. I now think that an ILB like Alec Ogletree could be a real good pick for us.

My dream pick would be Manti T'eo. Talk about a guy who could come in and turn a soft defense into a tough one real quick. If somehow we could bundle our 1st round pick with a player like Tramon Williams (since we're deep at CB with Heyward, House, and Shields), who knows, maybe Oakland would bite.

Pretty much out of the question I know, but no harm in dreaming...

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Because of the play of EDS at center, which has been very good the last two games, I'm changing my mind somewhat on who could be our 1st round draft choice. I now think that an ILB like Alec Ogletree could be a real good pick for us.

My dream pick would be Manti T'eo. Talk about a guy who could come in and turn a soft defense into a tough one real quick. If somehow we could bundle our 1st round pick with a player like Tramon Williams (since we're deep at CB with Heyward, House, and Shields), who knows, maybe Oakland would bite.

Pretty much out of the question I know, but no harm in dreaming...
He performed well last week, but the Titans left him with nobody to block most of the time.

May I ask why ILB in the first?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He performed well last week, but the Titans left him with nobody to block most of the time.

I was thinking OL first, but I'm hoping EDS will take over the C spot.

Hawk isn't getting any younger and Bishop will be coming off a bad injury and there's no guarantee he'll be as good as he was. We're not very strong at that position really and our front 7 still needs improvement. A serious hole-plugger, run stuffer who tackles like a ton of bricks is what we need.

We've got Clay and Perry with Walden rotating in at OLB, so no need to draft there. If there's a top NT available in the 1st then I'd say go for it, but I doubt there will be.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I was thinking OL first, but I'm hoping EDS will take over the C spot.

Hawk isn't getting any younger and Bishop will be coming off a bad injury and there's no guarantee he'll be as good as he was. We're not very strong at that position really and our front 7 still needs improvement. A serious hole-plugger, run stuffer who tackles like a ton of bricks is what we need.

We've got Clay and Perry with Walden rotating in at OLB, so no need to draft there. If there's a top NT available in the 1st then I'd say go for it, but I doubt there will be.
I can understand drafting an heir, but Bish and Hawk are both 28, and avarage ILB lifespan is 34. If Bish's injury is typical he'll be fine, I've seen a ton of guys recover from it. Personally if we go that way, I'd like to draft a decent cover ILB. Bish is our best coverman, but even he leaves something to be desired.

Moses has edged in front of Walden because he's a better rusher. Still might be nice to get another decent rusher if we can't retain Walden.

NT. I want. More fat men to collapse the pile, shed the block, and plain ole spill it. I'm sick of watching us draft rushers and completely fail to develop them. Especially the athletes.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've been sorta leaning towards ILB in the first round as well lately. I was hard pressed on taking the Alabama Center but an ILB who can stay on the field all 3 downs is a MAJOR benefit on defense. Yes Hawk has played ok but i think it's time to upgrade that spot even if when Bishop comes back as we have not had a house hold name at ILB and quite sometime. I look at the 49'ers and how Bowman and Willis are all over the field and think man if we just had one guy like that this defense would be vastly improved. EDS is doing enough at center to make me change my mind about taking a center in the 1st round. Maybe we can trade down and get Ogletree from Georgia or Te'o from Notre Dame? be on the lookout for Shane Skov form Stanford as well.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I've been sorta leaning towards ILB in the first round as well lately. I was hard pressed on taking the Alabama Center but an ILB who can stay on the field all 3 downs is a MAJOR benefit on defense. Yes Hawk has played ok but i think it's time to upgrade that spot even if when Bishop comes back as we have not had a house hold name at ILB and quite sometime. I look at the 49'ers and how Bowman and Willis are all over the field and think man if we just had one guy like that this defense would be vastly improved. EDS is doing enough at center to make me change my mind about taking a center in the 1st round. Maybe we can trade down and get Ogletree from Georgia or Te'o from Notre Dame? be on the lookout for Shane Skov form Stanford as well.
Ogletree is a possibility, Te'o is not, Skov will be in play. Don't look at Bowman and Willis, they're football outliers, exceptions. The problem with "upgrading" Hawk is his contract and the ridiculous cap penalty that would incur. It's easy to say, harder to do. Plus, given how much of a "stud" Hawk was coming out of college, what's to say the next guy doesn't "flop" (Hawk IMO is not a bust anymore, he's had enough good/excusable seasons that he's just overpaid right now, something you can blame the purple D*kes for) even "worse" than our role-player Hawk who, right now, is a more than decent starter?

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ogletree is a possibility, Te'o is not, Skov will be in play. Don't look at Bowman and Willis, they're football outliers, exceptions. The problem with "upgrading" Hawk is his contract and the ridiculous cap penalty that would incur. It's easy to say, harder to do. Plus, given how much of a "stud" Hawk was coming out of college, what's to say the next guy doesn't "flop" (Hawk IMO is not a bust anymore, he's had enough good/excusable seasons that he's just overpaid right now, something you can blame the purple D*kes for) even "worse" than our role-player Hawk who, right now, is a more than decent starter?

Yea Hawk is way overpaid, the guy makes as much as Navarro Bowman who is a wayy better player.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say TT will make me happy if with the first four rounds he takes the best available out of the following positions:

-C or T
-Linebacker (I'll take a middle or outside)
-RB
-WR (if we lose Jennings but keep Finley)
-TE (if we lose Finley but keep Jennings) *I don't feel we're letting both go.
-Shutdown Corner if available

I don't want to say take "x postion" by "this round" because that's when you start reaching and drafting guys before you should. But I'd say mesh the Best Available with need and say take best available out of these positions and you'll always have a guy or two to choose from. I am also a huge fan of Jones being a part of our Offensive Line for years to come....but I'd also love it if we traded up to get Manti...either way I still feel our first 4 picks need to come in some fashion in the positions I listed.

Later picks I'd be fine with drafting a developing style player for the QB, DT and an extra RB or LB as you can never have enough depth at either.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'd say TT will make me happy if with the first four rounds he takes the best available out of the following positions:

-C or T
-Linebacker (I'll take a middle or outside)
-RB
-WR (if we lose Jennings but keep Finley)
-TE (if we lose Finley but keep Jennings) *I don't feel we're letting both go.
-Shutdown Corner if available

I don't want to say take "x postion" by "this round" because that's when you start reaching and drafting guys before you should. But I'd say mesh the Best Available with need and say take best available out of these positions and you'll always have a guy or two to choose from. I am also a huge fan of Jones being a part of our Offensive Line for years to come....but I'd also love it if we traded up to get Manti...either way I still feel our first 4 picks need to come in some fashion in the positions I listed.

Later picks I'd be fine with drafting a developing style player for the QB, DT and an extra RB or LB as you can never have enough depth at either.
so if he went DT or OLB early?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so if he went DT or OLB early?

I said I'd be fine with an ILB or OLB early. I'll admit an OLB would surprise me as I still feel we have no clue what we have in Perry due to his injured season...and TT I think still feels he'll be a stud. But I'm always gonna be of the mindset if an absolute stud is surprisingly available in any position you grab them. A DT would surprise me some, but again if a stud DT drops to us I'm 100% fine with it and would embrace it. Any draft board created for me would be tossed out the window if someone drops farther than you expected. That goes for the first round, second or even the 7th. I got faith TT is gonna get some Offensive power this coming draft...either by upgrading our line or RB or etc...but he will not and shouldn't do it by sacrificing not picking up a stud on the defensive side of the ball or another position.

For me the only untouchable position for the first round or two is QB. Any other position draft away TT, draft away.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1st rd. Barret Jones C Alabama would be the most logical pick here and probably penciled in as the starter the moment he hears his name called. I like this dude, i hate Alabama but Jones is a football player and he brings toughness which is something we need to see on our o-line. I love the fact that this guy can be a standout at Tackle or center. The more versatility the better.

2nd rd. I'd trade up for this guy in a heart beat. John Simon DE Ohio State. Hey call me bias but i love everything about Simon. He is the toughest guy in college football imo and is a gym rat. Any guy who can go from being a stud on the d-line to an even bigger stud playing in space as a backer has major upside. Relentless motor and is a sure tackler with good speed (4.7 4o) and knack for the football. Could take reps from AJ Hawk as a middle lb or give us flexibility to use him as a rush end on passing downs. This guy could be the next JJ Watt and that is no exaggeration.

3rd rd. Deandre Hopkins Wr Clemson. With Driver and Jennings both likely gone after this year we need to add some depth at wr. Hopkins could leap frog Boykin and whoever else will be fighting for that 4th wr spot. Heres a guy who is as productive as they come, Great route runner who can make things happen once he gets the ball in his hands as he has 16 tochdowns. Just another weapon for Rodgers.

4th rd. Stepfan Taylor Rb Stanford. I see Starks, and Grant gone for sure but Benson is still a question mark as he did only sign for one year but will TT Tag him or bring him back?e he was on pace for a great year before he got hurt. Taylor is a smart durable, and productive back who could possibly the "guy" one day in Green Bay. Reminds me of Doug Martin.

5th Rd. Colin Klein Qb Kansas State. Anyone is better than Graham Harell as Rodgers backup but Klein is an interesting player because most people have him going in the fifth or 4th round but you would think a guy who got as much hype as he did would go earlier right? Is it his funky throwing style that scares GM's away? could be... because the guy is a winner and he can put a team on his back.

To lazy to do the other slections but i think the first five spots could be huge for us as we have really no glaring weakness but do need some depth and upgrade the o-line.
You should be in our war room next April. I hope TT reads this. First two are superlative.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts