What positions do the Pack need for the Draft?

Killazach

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First time poster but wanted to see everyone's opinion on what position we need filled to complete or come close to completing our team. As everyone knows we are a very young team and I personally think that we need either a better DT or another great DE to accompany Kampman. Feel free to post why you disagree with me and which position we need fixed before DT. Please elaborate as well though ;)

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Defensive End and back up defensive tackle first and foremost. Depth at Safety ..at least one.
A big running back/inside bruiser who can move the pile. Somewhere on day 2 a punter ( can I get an amen on that). Offensive line Tackle position will have to be addressed in the future as well.

gopack sr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A DE on the the right side who can rush the QB and hopefully an OT for the future on day 1.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would honestly, love to see them go for another linebacker. Maybe trade some picks to move up and get a top notch DE. But needs:

DE, OT, another safety, and I think another corner.

Finally, PUNTER. Frost sucks. Should go sign Dragosovich if he is layin around.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see the needs as follows

OT
RB
DE/DT
CB
S or LB

Now, if we don't have the OT we want int he first and no RB is worth it, it may be tough to decide who to pick, but I think we need to continue to get good solid young talent on the O-line, we need to improve the running game, and I've not been all that impressed with or backs this year. The one position we are probably good at is QB and WR, unless we trade one of our young'ns away. I'd like to see us maybe draft a Guard or Guard/Center as well. We also need some push from the D-Line so a DT or DE, but given where the pack may draft, there might not be anyone worth it in the first day. So I'd not be upset with a Defensive Back, Corner, Safety, or Linebacker.

OP
OP
K

Killazach

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly don't know why you would want a RB when we have Brandon Jackson who has only performed well when our rush defense is one of the worst in the league.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Killazach said:
I honestly don't know why you would want a RB when we have Brandon Jackson who has only performed well when our rush defense is one of the worst in the league.

Grant has been playing pretty poorly, and Brandon Jackson is one guy. Behind him is Wynn, who cannot stay healthy for anything. A solid 3rd down back/speedster could be good. Grant and Jackson should start splitting carries, or just give it all to Jackson for now. They need a 3rd guy.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dansz15 said:
Killazach said:

Grant has been playing pretty poorly, and Brandon Jackson is one guy. Behind him is Wynn, who cannot stay healthy for anything. A solid 3rd down back/speedster could be good. Grant and Jackson should start splitting carries, or just give it all to Jackson for now. They need a 3rd guy.

Bingo! Exactly why I was thinking of drafting another RB. Of course you don't know who will be a FA yet either so eh :/

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:
dansz15 said:
Killazach said:

Bingo! Exactly why I was thinking of drafting another RB. Of course you don't know who will be a FA yet either so eh :/

I would still look into the draft. The emphasis is o and d lines this year, with alot of strong guys coming out. Look at Hightower, out of Richmond. Plays 1-AA and goes decently late, and he is a top 7 rookie back. Guys like that come through all the time. I personally like Branden Ore, who transferred to West Liberty State after disagreeing with Va tech. I think he has some great potential and will go possibly 4th-6th round. Excellent value pick for the situation GB would need.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would look at the D line first, then the offensive tackles as ours are getting up there in age.

Also, I am not sold on Grant and would go for a RB. I would like to see more of Jackson this season as his spot playing has been good.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cali. and other posters on this topic . I suggest your reconsider that your evaluation of Ryan Grant brief two year career with Green Bay as a running back.

Ryan Grant (2007-2008) Statistics:

2007 Att 188 yd 956 AV 5.1 lg 66t TD 8 -- Games starting 10

2008 Att 228 yd 876 Av 3.8 lg 57 Td 3 -- Games starting 12 with 4 games left in 2008 season

Lets consider some excellent Running backs in Packer history. you would find out Ryan Grant first two years look very good. And he has 4 more games to play in 2008 as Nov 30, 2008.

Remember be Grant had an injury coming out of Training camp this year. A Hammie injury. Grant had very little camp practices with the Packers in '07, because he arrived very late in a trade with the Giants . Again Grant very little training camp experience with the Packer team in '08 , because of contract problem with the Packers. Grant did show up at Training camp but just did exercises to stay in shape.. In my opinion, I think Ryan Grant is doing just fine in his first two years with the Packer . and his first 2 years playing real games in NFL.

I have seen every running back in action since mid 1940's From Tony Canadeo - Jim Taylor, Paul Hornung, John Brockington, Terdell Middleton, Edger Bennnett, Dorsey Levens , Ahman Green , and now Ryan Grant. . The type of Packer line Ryan Grant has blocking for him in the future ,will determine a lot in what he accomplishes in the Future. .

Lets us look at great Packer running backs in past history of the Packers.

Ahman Green (2000-2006) who was going into his third year in NFL when he was traded to Packers. Green had veteran offensive line to run behind in his years with the Packers.

Ahman Green (2000-2006)

2000 Att 263 Yd 1,175 Av 4.5 lg t39 Td 10 Games started 16
2001 Att 308 Yd 1,387 Av 4.5 Lg T63 Td 9 Games started 16

Packer fullback John Brocklington (1971-1977) drafted by the Packers in the first round of 1971 draft. Here are his first two seasons with the Packer in 1971-1972 in a 14 game NFL season.

FB John Brockington

1971 Att 216 Yd 1,105 Av 5.1 lg t54 Td 4 games played 14

1972 Att 274 yd 1,027 Av 3.9 lg t30 Td games played 14

I did not include a Great Running back in 1960s' s FB Jimmy Taylor, who found great success in his a third year with the Packers. But here are his accomplishment with the Packers-- In 1960 when he gained 1,105, in 1961 .Taylor gained 1,307 yards in 1961--Taylor gained 1,474 yards in 1962--followed up by gaining 1.019 yards in 1963 and again in 1964 gained 1,169 yards.

In 1965 , Taylor 1,000 yard seasons were over. Jim gained 734 yards in 1965 and 795 yards gained in 1966 ,which was his final season with the Packers. Jim Taylor sustained a serious knee injury in has last season 1966. Remember In the 1960's the NFL played a 12 game Schedule. Just think was Jim Taylor running Statistics would have been with the modern day 16 game season.

However you must remember the Packers in 1960's were known as a running team. They also had a great offensive line , who played together for many years. Such great offensive line men as H O F Tackle Forrest Gregg , Tackle Bob Skoronski- - Guards Jerry Kramer and Fuzzy Thurston and H O F center Jim Ringo.

I leave it up to you to judge where Ryan Grant is now in his brief career with the Packers. In my opinion at this point in his brief career wuth the Packer ,he is doing well.

PWTDP Located in DePere, Wi. just five miles from Lambeau field.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT, great post. My biggest concern regarding Grant was his vision. Teams last year didn't know Grant as well as this year, and that could of been a factor in preperation, but what I am not sold on like I said before is his vision. Out of the games I have seen this season, he is not hitting the hole as well and is running into his blockers on the line. When he does hit the hole, however, he makes a run for it. He is a back with pro bowl potential, but this season it seems like he has had trouble finding that place to run. I am hoping its a sophomore slump.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is easy...

1) Defensive End - Give Kampman some help
2) Defensive Tackle - Harrell isn't progressing + Johnny Jolley may be suspended for the first 4 games next year
3) Offensive Guard - The Spitz, Colledge, Moll, Sitton, Barbe rotation is not working
4) OLB - Maybe Hawk should move to the middle and Barnett to outside. Poppinga and Chillar should be cut and possibly shot

THAT'S IT. SOLID TEAM, BUT THEY NEED THESE KEY POSITIONS.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts