What positions are the safest to draft?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree Thompson has to draft better and I hope the 2013 draft was the start of that trend. I don’t think we saw what Datone can do last season and Lacy was an A+. Thompson may have gotten not one, but two starting OL from the fourth round of that draft and I’m (perhaps unrealistically) optimistic about both of them. Hyde was another A+ pick where he was taken and Boyd contributed in his rookie season. One of LBs – probably Barrington – may prove to be a decent pick too. The eventual overall grade of that draft will depend a lot on Datone – if he can stay healthy I think that will go down as one of Thompson’s better drafts.

Having said that, ivo610 is correct. Not only did Wallace get hurt, but he was signed to the active roster on September 2nd. Of course Thompson and McCarthy were responsible for the absolute mess at backup QB going into last season but [IMO] that does not mean the result is indicative of what the Packers team is without Rodgers. This season the Packers backup QB situation is as solid as we’ve seen it since the mid-90s. Unlike last year, they will have two backup QBs who both took snaps in the regular season the previous season and both will have had a full off season in Green Bay. No Packers fan wants to see if this correct but this will be a much, much better team with either Flynn or Tolzien under center than what we saw last season. [/IMO]

D

Deleted member 6794

Having the best player in the league at the most important position-QB- lost due to injury for almost all of the season without a QUALITY backup will mess any team up-especially when that team (like the Packers) have been built around passing the football.

Absolutely agree that it´s tough to overcome losing the best player in the league. Not having a quality backup on the roster is a mistake though Thompson made and should have been avoided by any means.

Your defense is pretty much in a hole to start if you can't put up at least 20 points a game. The Packers weren't prepared to have Rodgers go down and not be able to muster points. Doesn't mean they don't have any talent, simply means you need to score some points to win in the NFL. Without a consistent way to score points-no Quality backup QB-I don't care who you're playing-you're chances of winning are slim.

That´s where we have to disagree. The team scored 20 or more points during five of the eight games, averaging 21.5 points during Rodgers absence which would have ranked 22nd in the league over the entire season. Not great, but if the defense would have stepped up while facing adversity the Packers could have gone at least 4-4 over the span. Instead the defense gave up a whopping 30.3 points per game, which would have ranked dead last in the league over the entire season and there weren´t able to hold an opponent to under 20 points.

I don´t have any doubts the offense with Rodgers is one of the best in the league, the defense doesn´t have enough talent though. Right now, the offense can´t have an off-day during the playoffs or otherwise the defense won´t be able to even win one game on their own.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree, the DL selections haven't been stellar...but not horrible either IMO. I think if you are basing your judgement simply off of stats, then I think the scheme needs to be taken into consideration as well. The Packers DL are expected to tie up blockers so the LB's or the safety in the box gets the tackles. If the DL makes the tackle or can rush the passer it's a bonus. That's my impression of the DL roles.

Well, only two DLs drafted by Thompson have been regular starters. While I agree that scheme has a lot to do with them not getting a ton of tackles or sacks in the base defense, they´re asked to rush the passer in the sub packages.

I think the Packers are finding out though that they can't place most of the pass rush responsibilities on just the OLB. We miss a player like Cullen Jenkins who could hold his own in the run game, but also offered a lot with his pass rush. The opposing offense then isn't able to scheme around the strengths/weaknesses of the DL.

Agree with your take on Jenkins. The Packers need DLs who are capable of being effective on all three downs, and Thompson hasn´t really drafted any of them.

D

Deleted member 6794

you mean 3rd string QB, our back up QB went down in the 1st series in his 1st start with a season ending injury.

People act like Rodgers was our only injury last season. smh

Having said that, ivo610 is correct. Not only did Wallace get hurt, but he was signed to the active roster on September 2nd. Of course Thompson and McCarthy were responsible for the absolute mess at backup QB going into last season but [IMO] that does not mean the result is indicative of what the Packers team is without Rodgers. This season the Packers backup QB situation is as solid as we’ve seen it since the mid-90s. Unlike last year, they will have two backup QBs who both took snaps in the regular season the previous season and both will have had a full off season in Green Bay. No Packers fan wants to see if this correct but this will be a much, much better team with either Flynn or Tolzien under center than what we saw last season. [/IMO]

Thompson messed up the backup QB situation big time last year, I don´t think anybody would disagree with that. I like the fact both Flynn and Tolzien will be here for the entire offseason and bring stability to the position, but if Rodgers would get injured again I still expect the offensive production to decline.

The defense should have had to step up, but they imploded when called upon. I don´t have any doubt this unit doesn´t have enough talent and they showed it last season when Rodgers went down.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson messed up the backup QB situation big time last year, I don´t think anybody would disagree with that. Still no explanation why the defense imploded once Rodgers went down.

When your 2nd string QB gets hurt in the first series of the 1st start it's going to cause problems. He may not have gone the best direction as far as the 3rd string.

For all the talk Rodgers injury got everyone just seems to forget the impact Matthews has when healthy.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree Thompson has to draft better and I hope the 2013 draft was the start of that trend. I don’t think we saw what Datone can do last season and Lacy was an A+. Thompson may have gotten not one, but two starting OL from the fourth round of that draft and I’m (perhaps unrealistically) optimistic about both of them. Hyde was another A+ pick where he was taken and Boyd contributed in his rookie season. One of LBs – probably Barrington – may prove to be a decent pick too. The eventual overall grade of that draft will depend a lot on Datone – if he can stay healthy I think that will go down as one of Thompson’s better drafts.

Lacy was a great pick, Hyde surprised a lot of people and was decent, but don´t forget he didn´t have a single INT either. While Bakhtiari filled in admirably when Bulaga went down, he was one of the worst LT in the league. Tretter hasn´t played a single down, he could turn out as a bust as well. Datone showed some talent during camp, hope he can stay healthy and play up to his draft position next season.

D

Deleted member 6794

When your 2nd string QB gets hurt in the first series of the 1st start it's going to cause problems. He may not have gone the best direction as far as the 3rd string.

A guy brought in after training camp ended shouldn´t have been the backup in first place.

For all the talk Rodgers injury got everyone just seems to forget the impact Matthews has when healthy.

Don´t get me wrong, Matthews is by far the best player on the defense, it´s still interesting the defense gave up 23.2 points in the five games he missed while allowing 28.4 when he played.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A guy brought in after training camp ended shouldn´t have been the backup in first place.

Don´t get me wrong, Matthews is by far the best player on the defense, it´s still interesting the defense gave up 23.2 points in the five games he missed while allowing 28.4 when he played.

I'm not willing to say Wallace was a failure bc he got hurt. I think at minimum you would need to see him start and finish the same game. Other teams have shuffled back ups during the preseason.

Matthews is an interesting case. This defense is an interesting case. I actually have medium to high expectations for it this coming season.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not willing to say Wallace was a failure bc he got hurt. I think at minimum you would need to see him start and finish the same game. Other teams have shuffled back ups during the preseason.

Even Thompson admitted he messed up the backup QB situation last year.

Matthews is an interesting case. This defense is an interesting case. I actually have medium to high expectations for it this coming season.

I´m skeptic. Thompson hasn´t addressed safety or ILB (IMO the two biggest needs) at all during free agency, improving the pass rush might help though. It´s still too early to make a accurate judgement as the Packers can still bring in some talent via the draft.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even Thompson admitted he messed up the backup QB situation last year.

I´m skeptic. Thompson hasn´t addressed safety or ILB (IMO the two biggest needs) at all during free agency, improving the pass rush might help though. It´s still too early to make a accurate judgement as the Packers can still bring in some talent via the draft.[/.

it's not a fair sample size when the guy gets injured during the 1st series of his first start. It's mindblowing that people think it's an adequate sample size to judge the quality of the packers 2nd string QB.

I don't expect to have many impact rookies this season. Obviously one of those positions will be a weak point. Hopefully our younger players who are not rookies will step up this coming season. We need another all pro level talent on defense and at the moment I don't see it. I see a lot of mediocre players surround by some good not great players. Matthews excluded

D

Deleted member 6794

it's not a fair sample size when the guy gets injured during the 1st series of his first start. It's mindblowing that people think it's an adequate sample size to judge the quality of the packers 2nd string QB.

I don´t have any issues with Thompson bringing in Wallace, it´s about when he was signed.

I don't expect to have many impact rookies this season. Obviously one of those positions will be a weak point. Hopefully our younger players who are not rookies will step up this coming season. We need another all pro level talent on defense and at the moment I don't see it. I see a lot of mediocre players surround by some good not great players. Matthews excluded

There´s absolutely no doubt we don´t have any All-Pro on the defense aside of Matthews currently on the roster. After not improving those positions during free agency I expect Thompson to bring in impact players at those positions. Otherwise I would be disappointed by his approach.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts