What NFC Team scares you the most...

What team in the NFC possesses a threat to the Packers or makes you the most nervous about playing?

• Lions

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • 49ers

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Giants

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Eagles

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Total voters

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
People are really more scared of the Eagles than Saints and Niners?

Think people need to shut down ESPN's hype ******** on the dream team. They win one game by a huge margin and everyone is sold out on them lol.

People are back on the Eagles bandwagon even though they are hanging on by a thread. If they lose to the Bears on Monday, it'll put them right back where they started and pretty much negate last Sunday's pretty win against the Cowboys. I will tell you something about the Eagles in case you did not know. They always manage to shoot themselves in the foot. I wouldn't write them out just yet, but I'd be more concerned with the Saints and even the Niners and Falcons at this point. The Eagles will need to win their division. Even though that is possible, the NFC East is a toss up, there ain't no telling who will win it.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
People are back on the Eagles bandwagon even though they are hanging on by a thread. If they lose to the Bears on Monday, it'll put them right back where they started and pretty much negate last Sunday's pretty win against the Cowboys. I will tell you something about the Eagles in case you did not know. They always manage to shoot themselves in the foot. I wouldn't write them out just yet, but I'd be more concerned with the Saints and even the Niners and Falcons at this point. The Eagles will need to win their division. Even though that is possible, the NFC East is a toss up, there ain't no telling who will win it.

I still have them as a wild card team at best.

They win one big game, big deal, they still are one of the worst 4th quarter offenses in the league.

Their run D is awful, and I expect Forte to have a big game against them.

Looking at their schedule, they are going to lose 2, or maybe even 3 more games, then everyone can be scared of them at 9-7.

I am interested in how Vick is going to fare against the Jets defense late this season.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Did anyone else realize that Eli Manning has the highest 4th quarter passer rating in the league?

I didn't know this either.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to make one last point about why the Niners are performing so well. Well mostly I'd like to let Sports Illustrated make the last point. I read the following article about a week or so ago. It's about a system of rating NFL teams that's been in use since 2004. It evaluates the efficiency of teams on all sides of the ball.

"We track each NFL team in two key measures of efficiency. We call them Scoreability (offensive efficiency) and Bendability (defensive efficiency), which quantifies the bend-but-don't-break phenomenon. These are two of our Quality Stats, indicators that have a direct correlation to winning football games.
Each indicator takes into account a variety of factors that go into winning football, including proficiency of special teams, field position, red zone offense and defense, penalties, third-down offense and defense and turnover differential, and spits out those performances in an easy-to-understand number.

• No. 1 in Scoreability through Week 7.
• No. 1 in Bendability through Week 7.
Harbaugh's team is boldly sailing into uncharted waters of efficiency. Since we began tracking these indicators in 2004, no team has ranked No. 1 in both offensive and defensive efficiency."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/kerry_byrne/10/26/49ers.coaching/index.html

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Interesting "scoreability". But how does that translate into points? The Packers are the highest-scoring team in the league at 32.9 points per game, rank third in passing yards per game (323.4) and fourth in total yards per game (423.3). Individually, Rodgers leads the league in completion percentage (71.5), touchdown passes (20) and passer rating (125.7) and ranks third in yards (2,372). Plus, the Packers have 7-0 to back it up and they've played New Orleans and Atlanta, two teams considered major contenders for the playoffs.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Croak, basically the article focuses on how many yards it takes an offense to score a single point. Also, how many yards a defense forces an opponent to gain before they score a single point. "Scoreability counts ALL points, not just those generated by the offense. The scoreboard does not care how those points get there, only that they do. Well-coached teams score points as many ways as possible. Scoreabilty rewards teams for proficiency in all phases of the game; Bendability applies the same rules to defense."
I know the article is long so I'll post a few highlight quotes below.

On Offense

"No team has scored more efficiently than the 49ers. San Francisco has produced a meager 1,815 yards of offense. But it has still managed to hang 167 points on the scoreboard. That's an incredible 10.87 Yards Per Point Scored. In other words, the 49ers are good for about one point with each first down.
Not only is that performance No. 1 here in 2011, it's on pace to set the record for scoring efficiency held by the 2007 Patriots. That 16-0 New England team needed just 11.17 Yards Per Point Scored.
The 2011 Patriots, meanwhile, help put in perspective the incredible efficiency of Harbaugh's crew. Bill Belichick's team has generated 2,847 yards of offense this year -- 1,032 more yards than the 49ers in just six games. But the Patriots have scored just 18 points more.

....The importance of efficiency is far more dramatic if we put Scoreability in the context of touchdowns.
The 49ers need just 76.1 yards of offense to score the equivalent of 7 points. The St. Louis Rams are dead last in Scoreability: they need 225.9 yards of offense to score the equivalent of 7 points.

...Believe it or not, 5-1 San Francisco and 0-6 St. Louis are almost dead even in total offense: 1,815 yards for the 49ers; 1,807 for the Rams. But the 49ers have scored 167 points; the Rams have scored just 56."

On Defense

"The same benefit of efficiency applies to defense, where San Francisco is No. 1 in Bendability. They force opponents to march a spirit-killing 20.76 Yards Per Point Allowed.
In the context of touchdowns, San Francisco's opponents need 145.3 yards of offense to put 7 points on the board. They have the best "bend-but-don't-break" defense in football. Opponents may generate a lot of yards, but they do very little with all that effort."

Models of Inefficiency

"Norv Turner's Chargers are a prime example of a team that consistently possesses boatloads of talent but that fails to live up to expectations.
The 2010 Chargers, for example, were No. 1 in both total offense and total defense. Yet they went 9-7 and failed to make the playoffs. The problem? The consistently dumb, inefficient Chargers ranked No. 28 in Bendability, meaning they surrendered a lot of cheap points that made it hard to win games.
The 2011 Chargers are even worse: No. 31 in Bendability. Only the winless Colts surrender more cheap points.
The Philadelphia Eagles are the poster child of a talented but dumb football team here in 2011... The Eagles rank No. 28 in both Scoreability (18.28 Yards Per Point Scored) and Bendability (14.12 Yards Per Point Allowed).
They waste a lot of effort on offense, generating yards with little to show for it. Then they compound the problems on defense, by giving up a lot of cheap points that make it hard to win games."

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
Niners are the sleepers, I think everyone needs to keep an eye on them. Something is brewing over there. They should shake things up this year and get people to notice them but I don't look for them to really be a threat for another 1 to 2 years. Same as the Lions. It is good to see them improving, though. They have a great history in that organization. Last year, I was a Niners fan for some fleeting moments when one of my favorite players, Brian Westbrook, played for them. It meant a lot to me that they took him and let him play over there when the Eagles dropped him. They also made me very happy when they beat the Eagles and the Lions!!! :)

You're thinking the SAME as me I said this same thing! great post

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I can't get by the fact that I've got an old=school mindset in that teams have to "pay the piper" before they go trouncing through playoff wins. Right or wrong I think 9ers and Lions need at least one more year of seasoning.
I know, stats show this or that but stats don't predict games or long ago we'd have been able to win bets on games. Regardless of stats the team with the best chance of beating the Packers this year on an even field is the Saints. If the 9ers get their shot at the Packers in the NFCCG all the better. It will be sweet revenge for the years we thought the Packers were ready only to have our dreams dashed by a better 9er or 'boys team.
I will say this, the style of play of the 9ers is conducive to beating the Champs but they were pretty much the same team last year and we beat 'em. I know it's a new year but I think the 9ers and Lions are at least a year away from parity with the Packers. Even that will be difficult as the Packers are getting better as the other teams are too.
These two teams don't know each other that well but I know that the 9er fans think GB won't run on them and they are in for a rude awakening. They also think statistically our pass defense surrenders too many yards and they see an opportunity there but fans of the Pack know they are better than the stats. The Packers are better against the run than 9er fans think and Frank Gore is one helluva back but he's unlikely to gash the Pack like AP. I think playing the 9ers is alot like playing the Falcons without all the hype the 9ers have. 9ers have better D but Falcons have better O. Either way, a GB victory there.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I can't get by the fact that I've got an old=school mindset in that teams have to "pay the piper" before they go trouncing through playoff wins. Right or wrong I think 9ers and Lions need at least one more year of seasoning.
I know, stats show this or that but stats don't predict games or long ago we'd have been able to win bets on games. Regardless of stats the team with the best chance of beating the Packers this year on an even field is the Saints. If the 9ers get their shot at the Packers in the NFCCG all the better. It will be sweet revenge for the years we thought the Packers were ready only to have our dreams dashed by a better 9er or 'boys team.
I will say this, the style of play of the 9ers is conducive to beating the Champs but they were pretty much the same team last year and we beat 'em. I know it's a new year but I think the 9ers and Lions are at least a year away from parity with the Packers. Even that will be difficult as the Packers are getting better as the other teams are too.
These two teams don't know each other that well but I know that the 9er fans think GB won't run on them and they are in for a rude awakening. They also think statistically our pass defense surrenders too many yards and they see an opportunity there but fans of the Pack know they are better than the stats. The Packers are better against the run than 9er fans think and Frank Gore is one helluva back but he's unlikely to gash the Pack like AP. I think playing the 9ers is alot like playing the Falcons without all the hype the 9ers have. 9ers have better D but Falcons have better O. Either way, a GB victory there.

I understand this. Especially with the Lions. With the Niners it's tough to say. I have just that much faith in Jim Harbaugh though. He is amazing.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope some of you who have said the Niners need more seasoning are correct. They may only be one OT field goal away from an undefeated season so far, and seem to be improving with every game, but they're not an elite team yet. And I'd hate to find out that they were just a flash in the pan and lose the majority of their remaining games.

They're playing very consistent and efficient situational football right now and winning games. If this isn't a fluke and the seasoning only makes them better, then we may be seeing the birth of a new dynasty and an elite team for the next 5 or 10 years. Harbaugh is young and could stay with the Niners for a very looong time. Given a full off-season with a good draft/FA pick-ups/summer camp and pre-season to develop the team, I shudder to think what may be possible next year.

And God help the NFL if Luck pulls an Eli Manning stunt and says he will only play in the NFL for his coach...

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I hope some of you who have said the Niners need more seasoning are correct. They may only be one OT field goal away from an undefeated season so far, and seem to be improving with every game, but they're not an elite team yet. And I'd hate to find out that they were just a flash in the pan and lose the majority of their remaining games.

They're playing very consistent and efficient situational football right now and winning games. If this isn't a fluke and the seasoning only makes them better, then we may be seeing the birth of a new dynasty and an elite team for the next 5 or 10 years. Harbaugh is young and could stay with the Niners for a very looong time. Given a full off-season with a good draft/FA pick-ups/summer camp and pre-season to develop the team, I shudder to think what may be possible next year.

And God help the NFL if Luck pulls an Eli Manning stunt and says he will only play in the NFL for his coach...

Honest opinion.

How do you feel about Alex Smith?

So far he's making me eat many words I chose for him about being a bust, but if you had the chance to resign him, or get Luck, what would you prefer?

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do I think about Smith? That's a tough one.
I've been a supporter of his since he was drafted believing that he could develop into a great QB. Ironically, even with the season he's having, I'm not so sure anymore. He seems to be a fantastic game manager, thanks to the coaching he's now getting. But his passing game, particularly the long ball, is lacking. I'm kinda thinking that if he hasn't developed the accuracy to throw the long ball after 7 years in the NFL, he never will. Maybe if he had an elite corps of receivers that would change... but I doubt it. He may even play well enough to help the Niners win a Superbowl, but he'll never be elite.

The thing about Smitty is, he got drafted and was immediately thrown into the fire without an O-line to protect him. After dealing with a bad O-line and a different OC every year for 6 years, I think he mentally just became damaged goods. He has a great work ethic and his teammates seem to believe in him, but I don't know if that will change what, I think, is deep down in his psyche.

Aaron Rodgers was a life-long Niner fan growing up in CA. As a kid, he dreamed of being the QB for the Niners. But it's a damn good thing, for his sake, that that did not happen. Otherwise I think you would be seeing Rodgers in EXACTLY the same place that Smitty is in... beaten and frustrated for years and praying for a decent season to save his career.

As far as Luck goes, If the Niners actually get him (which for the record I highly doubt) I would prefer to see him sit on the bench behind Alex for a couple years and learn, get used to the speed of the game, and allow Harbaugh and the front office to re-build the areas of team that are weak... like our receiving corps and secondary.

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you ask me the 49ers quarterback of the future is Kaepernick. If he gets a chance to develop 2 more years I think he is going to really turn some heads.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of Niner fans say good things about Kaep. You could be right. To be honest I don't really know much about him or ever watched him play... except the preseason.

I did just read up a little on him. It looks like he was pretty awesome in college.

"Kaepernick is the only quarterback in the history of Division I FBS college football to have passed for over 10,000 yards and rushed for over 4,000 yards in a collegiate career. Kaepernick is also the only Division 1 FBS QB to have passed for over 2,000 yards and rushed for over 1,000 yards in a single season three times in a career (consecutively)."

He was born in Milwaukee and grew up in CA. In high school he had a 94 mph fastball! YIKES!! The kid has got a cannon for an arm.

We'll see what happens in the off-season as Smitty only has a 1 year contract right now. I imagine how much of an extention he gets will depend on how deep the Niners go into the post-season. And he may still have to compete for his job. ????

Hmmm... this thread is getting a little off-topic. Sorry, folks. My bad.

CarolinaPackerFan

Packers fan in Panthers country
Reaction score

The only reason I think the packers could even be remotely scared about Philly is those corners. If they are playing to their full potential and playing as a unit, that's a scare secondary, although that's nothing that Aaron can't overcome.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The only reason I think the packers could even be remotely scared about Philly is those corners. If they are playing to their full potential and playing as a unit, that's a scare secondary, although that's nothing that Aaron can't overcome.

He's start torching their crummy linebackers, then the secondary would suck in to help the linebackers and "viola" the WRs are wide open.

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TBH, i can see the following teams realistically upsetting the packers:

1) Saints
2) Niners

The rest MIGHT have a chance (i.e. any given sunday), but i have to see more of the eagles and giants (same with lions et al)

All in all, the packers repeating is pretty likely, unless a team catches lighting in a bottle.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I think the Niners or an NFC East team would be the toughest challenge, Saints have Brees but I am not afraid of them on the road. I do agree with those who say if Philly "gels" they could be a tough out. We will find out in the next few weeks how good they are and if the last two games were flukes.

Not sure about the Lions. They seem like such an immature group of kids to the point I can't take them seriously enough. And it starts with their head coach who bugs the crap out of me.

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Niners or an NFC East team would be the toughest challenge, Saints have Brees but I am not afraid of them on the road. I do agree with those who say if Philly "gels" they could be a tough out. We will find out in the next few weeks how good they are and if the last two games were flukes.

Not sure about the Lions. They seem like such an immature group of kids to the point I can't take them seriously enough. And it starts with their head coach who bugs the crap out of me.
so just because lions head coach is ecstatic that his team is actually winning and not 0-16, it bugs you?

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
so just because lions head coach is ecstatic that his team is actually winning and not 0-16, it bugs you?

They just annoy me. Sometimes it happens. A team or a coach bugs you. I think there is a difference between being excited over winning and being obnoxious at times. The Lions just seem a bit irritating to me and I don't think I am the only one who feels this way.......

I don't "hate" them though.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly wouldnt be scared of the Niners, as good as they are playing they would not be able to compete with our offense, no chance, and theres no way that a QB averaging only 1 TD a game is going to be able to keep up with us either, honestly.

We score on them and yet again force Alex Smith to carry the team by himself and you would see the same Alex Smith we have seen year in year out.

Damn lucky aswell Gore is playing the way he is, but I put any money on saying our front 7 would stop him.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly wouldnt be scared of the Niners, as good as they are playing they would not be able to compete with our offense, no chance, and theres no way that a QB averaging only 1 TD a game is going to be able to keep up with us either, honestly.

We score on them and yet again force Alex Smith to carry the team by himself and you would see the same Alex Smith we have seen year in year out.

Damn lucky aswell Gore is playing the way he is, but I put any money on saying our front 7 would stop him.

Niners are not a one-dimensional offense however. They aren't explosive but the running and passing game are solid. Packer defense has got a long way to go before this team is playoff ready, and Frank Gore would not be easy for us to stop at all. They have one of the better defenses too. It would be a tough game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts