What made you a Packers fan?

steamingutpile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up in rural North Idaho, not far from where Jerry Kramer went to high school. He went to U of I, as did I 40 years later, but people in Idaho were Pack fans decades before the Sea-pukes joined the league.

Put Jerry Kramer in the Hall of Fame for crying out loud!

nwick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was 1958. At my friends house, his dad had the game on. Packers were like 0-10 at the time. Lamar McCann was Qb. I said "How come football is on today, it's Sunday?" I stayed to watch. I havn't missed many games since then. When we finally beat the Colts and Unitas in '59 I became a permanent fan.

atthegates97

Cheesehead
Reaction score
had to be 94 or 95.. maybe even earlier cause i do remember donny m playing. i was a little kid and green just so happened to be my favorite color and i caught a packers game on tv and it pretty much stuck from there. i also loved watching favre play when i was a kid growing up, aside from all the ******** that's gone on with that whole situation since. anyway yeah im new here and that's my story.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never been to Wisconsin, but I am a lifelong Pac-Man fan. When I was younger, I thought the Packers were related to Pac-Man since they both have yellow. That's why I like the Packers. Is there anyone else who likes the Packers because of Pac-Man?

PackAttack1992

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up around it, as my dad was a Packer fan. However, I moved to Wisconsin a few years ago and lived there awhile, and it was about a year or two before the whole Favre ordeal - it was then that I really got into football and the Packers. I learned all that I could about the game and the history of the Packers. I've been in love with the sport ever since then. I really wish I was more into it when I was younger.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Brett Favre and where he was there in 1996! When he got his first MVP out of three.

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made you a Packers fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?

My mother bought me a Bart Starr jersey when I was 5 yrs old (1967). The rest is history. I live in Massachusetts. I do like the Patriots, but nothing like my passion for thr Packers. I have been to GB 5 years in a row for games.

_Xyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born n raised near Green Bay.

I guess I grew up during the exciting Favre years (Not as good today, but favre liked to make the games exciting for the better or worse...) Sometimes I feel spoiled all the great quarterbacks I got to witness in the past 10 years of understanding football.

But really suprised at all the out of state fans. It's really cool.

tcbintexas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From 7-11 years old, I lived near a small town about an hour north of Madison. The town, Westfield, at the time had a population of under a 1000 people. We lived in a log cabin out in the middle of nowhere without running water.

One Friday night in the Spring of 1981 (+ or - 1 year), several of the Packers came to our small town to play the high school boys in a basketball game (fundraiser). The gym was absolutely packed and frankly, it felt like the biggest thing that town had ever experienced.

During half-time of the game, those five Packers signed autographs for EVERY SINGLE child in attendance. I was so blown away that these guys would have the patience to sign autographs for everyone. I even remember one of the coaches getting on the mic to tell people half-time was over and for everyone to return to their seats. The players said, no, that's not happening until ever kid gets their autograph. And from that moment, I've been a diehard Packers fan.

I so wish one day I'll come across those autographs in some scrapbook.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up and was raised a Giants fan..... the family I was born into..... the Packers are the family I recently married into.... (shareholder) The Packers one Grand old teams of NFL. Knew a lot their history. Started pay attention in Farve era. Kinda realized I was Packer Fan after they knocked the Giants out of the playoffs and I did not feel that bad once the playoffs started. I was happy the Packers won the Super bowl. Family gatherings are interesting. Go Team Woot Woot lets have a tie! lol... But just like in real life, ya just say to your wife yes dear I love you... Make sense ???

Nelsons County

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Live in the UK, and been following the Packers from across the pond since about 1998.

First got into the NFL when C4 started showing games in the UK back in the 80's. Never really had any particular affiliation to any one team until I met some Packers fans in Bermuda in the 90's, their passion for their team, the Packers history and the fact they are like no other team in the NFL drew me to them - and have been following from a far ever since!

lamboscotland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
long way away here in Scotland. I first started watching American football many years ago when it started showing on tv over here and the obvious choice was the Pack as my family surname is Lamb and Lambeau Field made it easy to pick a team. Must admit I didn't know too much about them but that was 20 years ago and the more i looked into the history and the commmunity aspect (ie the fact there are no Jerry Jones figures in sight) made it clear I had made the correct choice. I also love the amount of cheeseheads who make the trips to away games - must be the best supported team away from home i think - or thats certainly how it sounds on tv. Go Pack Go

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know he may not be the most well-liked person in the Forum, but I grew up in Iowa, played flag football and was a quarterback, so there was no one like Brett Favre. He will always have a special place in my heart, because as a young kid, he made you love watching football. Don't get me wrong, he is no saint, but he is and always will be The Legend. I love this current team like no other, but I fell in love with the 90's Packers. I even shook LeRoy Butler's hand at the Mall of America when my family and I went to a Packers vs. Vikings MNF game in Minn when I was in 4th grade. I was hooked from that game on. Go Pack!

LargeRon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One day in 1974 I believe it was, my ViQueen fan brother was all excited about the game being on T.V. All I remember doing that morning was vowing to God that if the team playing Minnesota beat them, I would be a fan for life. 38 years later I am still a Packer fan and I have spawned 2 more Packer fans and my daughter has spawned 2 Packers (in training, their Dad wants them to be Charger fans, yuck) of her own.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
I grew up near Wisconsin Dells. One of my first sentences, I'm told, was "Dad, are we watchin' the Packers today?" My father was crazy-attached to the team, as am I. I like a couple of other teams in professional sports, but the Packers are the team that I love. They're in my blood.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made me a fan? I thought this organization and players gave a **** about the fans! Guess I was wrong!

Scott Ruplin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My family moved to Milwaukee in 1972. I was lucky to attend some sports/celebrity dinner in 74, and got to shake Bart Starr's hand! Though we later moved to Illinois I kept my loyalties and went back to Wisconsin for college. Now it's the day after a heartbreaking loss and yet I still, and will always say, GO PACKERS!

KCPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have lived in Kansas City my whole life but my dad, uncles, cousins and everyone here was not into sports. My great uncles in Iowa are diehard Packers fans and they introduced me to football by watching Packers fans when I was a kid. They were not good at all then but I stuck by them and it finally paid off when Favre took over.

Norwegian_packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I became a fan last superbowl, that was my turning point. Before you toss me too the Lions (Double meaning :roflmao:) soo too my defence i choosed the so called underdogs to cheer for instead of the cooky black and yellow team. I did not know back then that the Packs would bring the heat and take the victory and be soo good this year (not counting the last Giant match).
Sorry if my english is a bit off, but i am, as the name says from Norway.

I have always wanted to learn about the NFL and in the last years Norway finally sends the superbowl and i was getting into the rules and wanted to find a team to follow. We only this year have a channel who sends random NFL matches so now we can see other teams except the superbowl teams. We have no background to find a team otherwise. And most matches is played in the night over here, 02:30 am mostly so we cant see all games either.

I liked the players and their style, and their fans at homefield? They sure are the real deal. Passionated and dedicated to their team! Respect. I did choose a team i wanted to win, to follow and found myself behind my sofa jumping up and down the last minutes in the finals. I am a soccer fan and no match have made me do that before, well not so much as the Packs game did that year. Magic! And the Giants game? Well i felt a real sorrow for the team and the fans.

I have become a real and true fan.

Go Packs.

The Rick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born and raised in Green Bay, and spent my first 35 years there. I can remember, as young boy, when we would drive to Oshkosh to my Dad's cousin's house to be able to watch the blacked out home games. I have so many memories of riding our bikes to watch practices in the summer. Never did get my bike borrowed by any of the players though, drat!

Such a thrill it was to be able to shake the hands of our heroes back then! So many of them, it would take me forever to try and remember all of them.

So many games at Lambeau and County Stadium, it's hard to pick a favorite. But among my personal favorites, in no particular order...

*Packers - Redskins Monday Night Football 1983(?) - I think the final score was 49-47 Packers victory (crazy game!)
*Packers - Vikings County Stadium 1981(?) - John Jefferson's first game as a Packer. He got smacked on his first reception and in true Jefferson-esque form, popped right up from the turf as if nothing happened.
*Packers - Bucs 1985 - The city was getting buried under by huge snowstorm and only a little over 20K fans showed up for game. Bucs clearly wanted no part of the snow (ask Steve Young, Bucs QB at the time) and it showed.
*Packers - Steelers early 80's - James Lofton owned them that day with two long touchdown receptions and Gary Lewis (
back up TE) blocked two kicks. Had a awesome seat that day, front row, north endzone!

So many games, so many tailgates, so many great times with friends and family!

Living in the dirty south nowadays, all of my family members are still in the NE WI area, but I will never have anything but Green and Gold running thru my veins!

Pikachu1989

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no Wisconsin Ties. I was born in Nebraska. The Year the Packers won Super Bowl XXXI, I actually was rooting for the Patriots since i was only 7 at the time, the Score on the TV said GB and NE and since Nebraska initials are NE i thought it was Nebraska playing the Packers. That Next year they Play in Super Bowl XXXII and i finally rooted for the Pack. I bet my Uncle who is a Cowgirls Fan a Dollar that the Packers were going to win. After the game I lost the Dollar bet and i Started to cry Hysterically since i was 8 years old and thought a Dollar was a thousand Bucks. I then became a Packers fan right then and there. Sad Story but true.

At least they made it up to me Last year when the Packers won the Super Bowl.

NeonSurfBoard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I became a fan by watching packer games with who would become my father-in-law. I complained about how much I hated Favre for about three years, and continued to complain that they didn't bench him and play Rodgers during Favre's final years as a packer. Not a traditional start to a packer fan I suppose...

shiftysdad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I was born in Calgary, I was raised a Riders fan. I grew to love the 13th man mentality; I love how the fans are an integral part of the team rather than just an audience. I guess I saw the same thing in the Pack, and I've been a fan since.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

I just celebrated my 30th year as a fan in November. What 'made' me a fan? Not wanting to bet my *** whupped by my dad! Allow me to explain. I was 4, and in my house I had a Mother and what seemed like an Executioner *Dad*. One day I was pestering him and he said 'just watch this' forcefully in THAT tone. So I sat down. I recently looked up the date, because I remembered which game it was. My first Packer game November 22, 1981 Packers AT Tampa

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts