What made you a Packers fan?

Ft myers mike

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm 70 right now and when I was 6 my dad took me to a packer practice. While
Watching a lady stood next to me with a little beagle and of course I was playing
With it. The lady asked me if I would like the dog as they were going away for a
While and couldn't keep him. Of course I wanted the dog and when my dad found
Out that the lady was mrs Canadeo he said yes. Ever since I've been a BIG packer
Fan. I got a season ticket when I turned 18 and I until I turned 55 I only missed
One home game. I retired in 1999 and moved to Florida but remain now and
Forever a Gree Bay Packer fan. Go Pack

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Watching a lady stood next to me with a little beagle and of course I was playing
With it. The lady asked me if I would like the dog as they were going away for a
Out that the lady was mrs Canadeo he said yes. Ever since I've been a BIG packer
Fan. I got a season ticket when I turned 18 and I until I turned 55 I only missed
Hey Mike, let me know when you have unused season tickets.:notworthy:

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a winner!
I love Beagles and I love the Packers!

Kalulukb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born into it. Most of my family is from Wisconsin and naturally their favorite team was the Packers. Ever since I can remember there has always been a Packer game on TV during football season.

Hincha

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a good spot for my 1st post here.

I was born and raised in Appleton, Wisconsin. Sunday mornings were always church and Sunday 12 noon was always the Packers on TV. I grew up with the names of Lynn ****ey, Terdell Middleton, Johnnie Gray and James Loften to name a few.

My grandfather had gone to games at Old City Stadium. My father was not much for going to football games, I only went with my family to one preseason game when I was younger. It was not until 1980´s that I typically went to 1 game every other year with my best friend from middle school/high school and his father.

Growing up in Fox Valley it is hard not to grow up a Packers fan.

I moved all across the country and now out of the country, but always hung on to the Packers as my team.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a good spot for my 1st post here.

I was born and raised in Appleton, Wisconsin. Sunday mornings were always church and Sunday 12 noon was always the Packers on TV. I grew up with the names of Lynn ****ey, Terdell Middleton, Johnnie Gray and James Loften to name a few.

My grandfather had gone to games at Old City Stadium. My father was not much for going to football games, I only went with my family to one preseason game when I was younger. It was not until 1980´s that I typically went to 1 game every other year with my best friend from middle school/high school and his father.

Growing up in Fox Valley it is hard not to grow up a Packers fan.

I moved all across the country and now out of the country, but always hung on to the Packers as my team.

Welcome!

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I may as well admit my guilt here.

A diehard football (Soccer) fan who recently moved base to NY. Since this is the biggest sport here, decided to spend time and effort learning about the game...and that led to choosing a team that I really like.

Did some research about the teams and found a instinctive link to the Packers. History, Tradition, Entertaining, Fan Support, Ownership etc were all perfect matches to what I would want in my team...and I love the Green/Gold, which incidentally were my soccers teams original colors (oops!).

Being a total noob, will be mostly listening, reading with some stupid questions thrown in and maybe participate in actual discussions a bit down the time.

Glad to be here!

XPack

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't raised in a household that watched football. My Dad wasn't a sports fan, so for me to be a huge fan of football involved discovering the sport myself and becoming a fan of a team myself. When I was a kid, I remember that I just started loving Green Bay. There was something special about the team to me. Living in the south, the majority of people seemed to be Cowboy fans, but it just wasn't for me. After becoming a fan, I received my first jersey (which I still have) as a gift and just wasn't able to get enough of this team. I remember even taking crayons, white sheets of paper and writing things such as "Say Cheese" along with other Packer related things and taping it to the living room wall. I also remember spending Sunday afternoons at my grandparents house and watching Green Bay. I wish I could say "why" I chose the Packers, but it just happened without even having to think about it. Soon, Christmas and birthdays had Packer related items involved....and they still do.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I did grow up about maybe 80 miles north of Green Bay, so yeah it did come with the territory. But there were a couple men from the church I grew up at who had a way of making football fun. They'd invite us 5th and 6th graders to their back yards and we'd have fun playing our own version of tackle football. We were way out in the country to, and there weren't all these paranoid people running around freaking out about kids playing helmet and padless football, like you might find in some of your typical uppity cities in America today. Well, anyway, whenever one of us kids scored a td or caught a crazy pass or something, one of the men would say something like "awesome catch, just like Antonio Freeman or Robert Brooks" or something like that, so I kinda picked up on the names of Packer players and stuff.

Yeah, I remember those good old days. Crazy thing too, my dad wasn't big on the Packers or the NFL really, but I loved making these antenna concoctions to pick up Fox 11 on the TV. We didn't have Cable or Satellite back then and this was way before the means to watch games on the internet was here. But you could be sure, if there was a Packer game on, I was gonna make sure that TV had it on no matter what it took me to get our little antenna working. Those good old days of Analog TV.

Times have changed a lot since then, but the traditions I've had of watching Packer games and the memories of those seasons .... I will never forget.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Majik finally beating Chicago in 1989 after years of Ditka trouncing us in the 80s and thugs like Charles Martin and Mossy Cade embarrassing our franchise. Wasn't easy being a fan of this team in 80s as a kid with all your classmates band-wagoning teams like the 49ers and Giants.

I credit my dad though more than anything. He grew up in Illinois and was a big fan during the Lombardi years and stuck with those mediocre teams and I watched with him. He kept me up late to watch the Packers beat Washington in that 83 MNF game even if I had fallen asleep on the couch by the fourth quarter since I was just 3 at the time. I vaguely remember ****ey, Coffman, Lofton, and Jefferson and that good offense we had at the time. I more remember Wright, Dilweg, Tomczak, and the carousel of QBs we had when Don was hurt and before Favre finally came in 1992. Made me appreciate what we've had at QB for over the last 20 years.

sleeper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My grandfather read everything he could find. We would bring him stacks of books when we visited my grandparents in Texarkana, Texas for 2 weeks for Christmas. Within a week he would have read them all and gone to the bookstore or re-reading some other book he read before. He didn't ignore us, but it was clear reading was an addiction of his. I was born in Texas, my grandfather was born in Ireland. He couldn't care less about American football but he cared about people. Volumes upon volumes of biographies and auto-biographies he had hoarded. I developed the habit of reading from my grandfather. He had boxes of books under beds, in the attic, out in the garage. One morning when I was about 8 or 9, I looked under the bed at my grandparents house and after rummaging through 2 or 3 boxes I found Instant Replay by Jerry Kramer. I was an Oiler fan, having been born and raised in Houston but after reading Instant Replay I became an avid Packers fan. Never having stepped foot any farther north than Oklahoma at that time in my life the town of Green Bay vaguely came into focus. Kramer didn't go into great detail of the town but I got it. And what I really understood was how football was meant to be played. Execution. Execution and discipline.

hit and run

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We just got back from our first game in Green Bay against the Panthers. It was everything I hoped it would be. Had a blast the night before at Favre's Steakhouse and the Titletown Brewery. Had brats, cheese curds and booyah soup while tailgating. We met some incredible fans and had one of the best times of our lives. We were lucky enough to have an old friend of my wife and his wife put us up. They live about a mile and a half from the stadium, off Hazelwood. Some of the nicest people in the world there. Coming from California, where most people ignor others, it was great to feel that kind of community spirit. We hope to be back out in a a couple years. Go Pack Go!

Gareth Atkinson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made you a Packers fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?
English Packer fan here - the first ever game of NFL I saw was the mighty Pack, they won and hence I became a cheesehead.
That's was 25 years ago. I love the club, the history, the setup. The fact we regularly out perform major cities despite our lack of size. Anyway I'm hoping to make it out to GB next season.

It'sAaron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer fan from Croatia... What made me a Packer fan? Rich NFL History, small city, good people, Aaron Rodgers and of course cold weather. Would like to find a job and move to GB once I finish college.

Pitbul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made you a Packers fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?
My high school field was named after Henry Jordan who was a football great ,and heavyweight state champion at Warwick HS here in Newport News ,Va. He was an all-pro player with the packers in the 60's and was a legend in our wrestling room. His picture in the room inspired me and I became a wrestling coach for the state AAU program here for 32 yrs. it was only natural that I became a packer fan in 1965 and have never looked back since.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
DNA. I'm richly blessed to be a cheesehead by birth.
Haven't lived in Wisconsin since 1982. I've never considered the possibility of being a fan of any other teams other than the Packers, Badgers & Braves/Brewers.

I am now an owner of the greatest professional football franchise to ever exist on this planet. Life is good, very good indeed.

Fwoodpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Living in the UK I didn't see much 'American football' until Channel 4 started covering it in the early 80's. The first game I saw was Redskins @ Packers. The Pack won 48-47 (I think) with a late field goal from Jan Stererud and I have followed Green Bay since then, albeit on TV (until December 8 -can't wait). What also caught my attention was the passion of the fans and the history of Green Bay. I had recorded that game on vhs and watched it countless times until it got lost in a house move !!

Go Pack

Reaction score
Family is from the region and it was either the Vikings or the Packers. But I was young and the Pack had Brett Favre and the Vikings just had an ugly dome and purple uniforms, I made the right call

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
I grew up in Milwaukee. My Dad, Mom, Aunts, Uncles and most of my cousins in Chicago were Packer fans.
I have strong ties to Chicago so I have always had respect for Bears and their fans. Still love beating them though. :tup:

Last edited:

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born in WI. I was watching games in the 60's on Dad's black and white tv.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a round about way I suppose you could say the Minnesota vikings made me a Packers fan. When I was young no one in my family really watched football. We were more of an outdoor sports (camping, hunting fishing etc) family. The first football game I ever saw was the Dolphins/Redskins Super Bowl following the Dolphins perfect 1972 season. Being a typical almost 8 years old at the time the obvious choice for my favorite football team was the Miami Dolphins. Fast forward a year. The next football game I remember seeing was the Dolphins/vikings Super Bowl. Since the Dolphins were my favorite team it stood to reason that my least favorite team, or the team I hated the most was the Minnesota vikings. That would have been in early 1974.

Over the next year or so I started learning more about he NFL and when a team called the Green Bay Packers hired a guy named Bart Starr as their coach it was a pretty big deal in my small west central Wisconsin home town. I became aware of and even more interested in the history of this team and when I finally fully realized that the Packers were not only from my home state but they also played in the same division as the team I hated most it was a very easy transition to make. The Packers became my favorite team and have been ever since. While I can't say that the Packers have always been my favorite team I can say that my most hated team has always been and always will be the vikings.

Growing up about 75 miles or so from Minnesota had instilled in me a hatred of the vikings that I never got with the Chicago Bears that so many Packers fans have. I'm a history buff and to me the Packers and Bears are the history of the NFL. Lambeau and Halas were the NFL (along with a few others thrown in of course) and because of this I have always had a great deal of respect for the Bears. My favorite non Packer player of all time is Walter Payton. (the 85 Bears and the SB shuffle did get kind of annoying though) Its funny now that I live in SE Wisconsin about 10 miles from the Illinois border surrounded by as many, if not more, Bears fans as Packers fans my Bears fans friends can't stand the fact that I don't hate the Bears. They all hate the Packers and when the Bears lose and the Packers win it drives them crazy. If the Packers lose and the Bears win the loss bugs me but I'm happy for the Bears and they hate that because they can't rub it in. To be honest I'll probably root for the Bears to win more often than not. Obviously at the start of the season I'll root against them just because of the divisional thing but now, I'll root for them to win out and not just because it will help the Packers, though that does have a lot to do with it. I'll rarely root for the Lions and I will root for the vikings only when it benefits the Packers.

My first favorite Packers players were Dave Roller and Steve Odom.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raised near Green Bay. Of my 2 next door neighbors, one was a Bears fan and the other a Packer fan. Luckily the one who was a Packer fan, would leave his drapes open. The Bears fan would close theirs. Therefore, I would only get to see the Packer games. Had it been the other way around - I shudder just thinking about it.

Good thing the left the living room drapes open and not the bedroom drapes. No telling what kind of fan you would have turned out to be.

Legalizeit

Cheesehead
Reaction score
19 right now, been a fan since 6 years old.

My dad was a huge Packers fan, having grown up in the 60s, it was really somewhat of a coincidence that we had just moved to Wisconsin when I saw my first Packer game, as I was probably destined to become a Packers fan eventually anyways, this simply excelerated the process.

Anyways, first game I saw was on TV in 2001 or 2002, a preseason game against the Cardinals in sun devil stadium, I've been hooked ever since. 9-10 years later I witnessed my favorite team win the Championship I had been waiting for since 6 years old, and it was glorious. Can't wait to see it happen again this Feburary.

Favre hater for life, Go Pack!

Jereycheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is my second post on the forum wish I signed up earlier ! But I became a packer fan when I was about 6 year we beat the patriots in the Super Bowl my uncle was a die hard Vikings fan and my cousin was a packer fan. I just loved watching Favre play and ive been a packer fan ever since! I thank my cousin for it I can't imagine being a fan of any other team... This will be my 5th year in a row I get to see them play live past few years have been at metlife :/ since I'm from jersey. This weekend I will be taking the drive out to buffalo to see them play the bills more than excited! Bleed green and gold! Still looking to make my first trip out to Green Bay!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts