What made you a Packers fan?

wilzif

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy in my avatar, you've probably heard of him before. I grew up on Brett Favre, loved his drive, loved his determination and loved his love for the Packers organization. First game I ever saw I instantly became a fan of the team. The uniforms are so unique, the mystique of Lambeau Field, the history. All of that made me a fan.

This was my reason for becoming a Packers fan.

NFL was shown very late at night over here (UK) in 1992, 1993 period and I'd video tape the show so I could watch it the next day. I was still learning the rules and getting the hang of the game, something I'm still doing after reading a lot of the bewildering posts on this forum that go into so much detail I wasn't even aware of!

I wanted to choose a team, but I'd never even been to the US so didn't really know where to start. Then I saw that Favre bloke and that was that. Cheesehead all the way now!

Packerinmissouri

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I'm a 34 year old man living in Virginia, I grew up in Iowa. I just recently got out of a 25+ year terrible relationship. I'll try and give the rundown about it.
I met "her" when I was very young, and was enamoured from the start. Everytime I saw "her" it made me utterly happy, but there were signs early on that there would be problems. You know how it is though, there are those moments looking back where you are like "yeah I should have given up then", but you look past it, cause it's just so happy with "her". It progressively got worse overtime. Each year there would be so new promise to do better, that things were going to change, and if only "this" or "that" happend that it would be rosy again. It wasnt all bad though, I had some really great times with "her". Through it all I remained loyal to "her". I spent thousands of dollars on "her", and would spend countless hours trying to see how it would be better..
But it finally dawned on me this past weekend that enough is enough, and I left "her". I gave "her" the better part of my life 25+ years, and it's going to be hard to move on...but I must.I met someone new, "she" is just as old my ex, shares many of the similarities of my ex, definitely seems like a good fit.
So here I am starting over again...with someone new. It's kinda refreshing, but I still find myself still so angry at the time I spent with "her" hoping for so much better, only to be let down over and over again.
**In case you didnt figure it out, the "her" is the Kansas City Chiefs, and the Pack is the new one!
Go Pack!!

I'll echo this. The Packers have been my second team for a couple years now behind the Chiefs. But this last playoff loss by the Chiefs sent me over the edge because I was there in person in Indy. Driving back, I had plenty of time to think. Why should I spend my hard earned money and emotions on a team that lets me down year after year, after promising me it will be better this year? So as this poster said, here I am starting over again with someone new, if you guys will have me. Go Pack Go!!!

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll echo this. The Packers have been my second team for a couple years now behind the Chiefs. But this last playoff loss by the Chiefs sent me over the edge because I was there in person in Indy. Driving back, I had plenty of time to think. Why should I spend my hard earned money and emotions on a team that lets me down year after year, after promising me it will be better this year? So as this poster said, here I am starting over again with someone new, if you guys will have me. Go Pack Go!!!
Hmmm. To be honest - I couldnt change the team that Im rooting for that easily. To me this is a lifelong relationship, in good times as in bad. :confused:
Anyway, welcome to the bright side of football life ;)

Packerinmissouri

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm. To be honest - I couldnt change the team that Im rooting for that easily. To me this is a lifelong relationship, in good times as in bad. :confused:
Anyway, welcome to the bright side of football life ;)

You have no idea how much bad that team has put its fans through. Thanks for the welcome. :)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I'm a 34 year old man living in Virginia, I grew up in Iowa. I just recently got out of a 25+ year terrible relationship. I'll try and give the rundown about it.
I met "her" when I was very young, and was enamoured from the start. Everytime I saw "her" it made me utterly happy, but there were signs early on that there would be problems. You know how it is though, there are those moments looking back where you are like "yeah I should have given up then", but you look past it, cause it's just so happy with "her". It progressively got worse overtime. Each year there would be so new promise to do better, that things were going to change, and if only "this" or "that" happend that it would be rosy again. It wasnt all bad though, I had some really great times with "her". Through it all I remained loyal to "her". I spent thousands of dollars on "her", and would spend countless hours trying to see how it would be better..
But it finally dawned on me this past weekend that enough is enough, and I left "her". I gave "her" the better part of my life 25+ years, and it's going to be hard to move on...but I must.I met someone new, "she" is just as old my ex, shares many of the similarities of my ex, definitely seems like a good fit.
So here I am starting over again...with someone new. It's kinda refreshing, but I still find myself still so angry at the time I spent with "her" hoping for so much better, only to be let down over and over again.
**In case you didnt figure it out, the "her" is the Kansas City Chiefs, and the Pack is the new one!
Go Pack!!
I was so sure you were talking about favre lol

cbmech

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the late 50's life magazine had a picture spread on the origins of the packers. The fact of them being the only team that will never move (the real americas team) the rest is history. Die hard fan since Lombardi.

Fozastuta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I follow the Packers because its America's greatest and most unique sporting story. Here in the UK, we find the whole franchise thing alien and its frowned upon (Read MK Dons/Wimbledon -Soccer). The thought of a Sports club being taken away from a community would be sole destroying, its an integral part of the make-up of communities and the Packers fit that. Fan owned, set up to protect the community from some Billionaire moving the team to another city for his or her gain.

The Packers are unique in the fact they are the only fan run team in the US (Major sport).
The last of the "Small Town" teams.
The smallest City with the most successful Football side.
A stadium like no other in the NFL, its not a souless dome.
The "Lombardi" Trophy.
The least over the top team name..The Packers has a background behind it.

It really is a story of a team succeeding against all the odds and i love it, thats why i follow the Packers.

Wpg-GBP#1Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers are showen here almost weekly, up in Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada. Seeing Favre be such good QB a long with WR Freeman making sick catches and the atmosphere Pack nation has at Lambeau...it just enticed me to watch the team and as each game went by and year I'd become bigger fan. Thats how I got started.

JFranklinisBeast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was ten when I watched the 2007 Seahawks vs. Packers snowy playoff game with my Dad. It was the first Packer game I had ever seen, and it was one of the best. Ryan Grant rushing for 200 yards while Atari Bigby was laying hits on everyone, man that was good.

L7Panda

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up in the 90s, an 80s baby, and on my 4 bedroom walls, 3 of them were covered with Jets and Yankees posters. However, one had a huge Brett Favre poster - and that is how the Packers were always my "second team" - whenever the Jets are struggling or are out of the playoffs and the Packers are there, I always, to this day, find myself pulling for GB. Just everything about GB - the history of it all, made me a person who at the age of 5 and now in his late 20's still respect and cheer on the Packers. Unless you guys are playing us, like you will when I'm in GB Week 2 haha, I'm always cheering on GB.

Packers2014

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made me a Packers fan was when my fiancé (girlfriend at the time) and I were watching the Pack take on the Steelers in Super Bowl XLV. At that time I was just getting to know her, and we both liked football, so she invited me over to watch the game at her parents house. Turns out she didn't like the Steelers, due to her father's side of the family
forcing her to watch them all the time. So we all rooted for the Packers to win. And what a win it was! My fiancé and I had our first kiss during that game, which made it all that memorable. From that moment on, we became Packers fans.
I even started to look into the Packers rich history that I got hooked on them even more!

Sorry to ramble on, but I just joined here, and wanted to let everybody know what made me a Packers fan. I hope to see another Super Bowl in the future of the Packers. Go Pack Go!!!

neild1987

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Early 2008 my dad went over to America to work for a couple of weeks. A place called Fond du Lac, I think. He went for a tour of Lambeau Field and when he came back told me all about the Packers. Started to look out for their results from beginning of following season and been supporting Packers and enjoying NFL in general from that point.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
What else. I was brainwashed. Raised in Madison, Wisconsin, of course I'm a Green Bay Fan. Then, I moved to near Chicago. Was amazed that I found 3-4 Packers bars down there. The bowling alley by my house had tweo bars, one on each end. One was a Bears fans hangout, the other the Packers fans hung out. You could be bowling and know who was winning by which side of the alleys the cheering was coming from. Then I moved to Alabama, pretty near where Brett Favre lived in Mississippi. Lot's of Green Bay fans down here, too.....once you separated them out from the Saints fans.

HaHa'sRightGlove

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was in 2009 that a few friends were talking about NFL and I saw a clip of a beast of a guy with long blonde hair with the number 52 on his back...

I've followed Packers ever since.

cara murphy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of my friend is a loyal fan of Green Bay Packers, he often told me everything about Packers and the QB Aaron Rodgers,Gradually, i also become a fan of packers.;)

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Ummm.....birth I guess. My mom and dad live on Thorndale St off Oneida, which is about a 2 minute walk to Lambeau. My dad still parks cars in their driveway and front yard on game day, and my mom hands out hot chocolate to any kid walking buy going to the game when its cold out. I guess I didn't really have a choice as far as NFL allegiance. GO PACK GO

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Ummm.....birth I guess. My mom and dad live on Thorndale St off Oneida, which is about a 2 minute walk to Lambeau. My dad still parks cars in their driveway and front yard on game day, and my mom hands out hot chocolate to any kid walking buy going to the game when its cold out. I guess I didn't really have a choice as far as NFL allegiance. GO PACK GO
My uncle built one of the first houses on Thorndale in the 50's or early 60's. First house on the North from Oneida. It isn't there anymore as the church next door buried it under asphalt in the mid 70's. Fond memories of getting there on Sundays to watch the game on TV and then step outside to hear the roars (after the blackout restrictions were lifted.)

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
My uncle built one of the first houses on Thorndale in the 50's or early 60's. First house on the North from Oneida. It isn't there anymore as the church next door buried it under asphalt in the mid 70's. Fond memories of getting there on Sundays to watch the game on TV and then step outside to hear the roars (after the blackout restrictions were lifted.)

Nice! Yeah its a truly great area of town. For Gold Package games we tailgate at my mom and dads house and watch on tv in my dads garage. Its super fun, but with the live tv delay on the broadcast you can here the roar of the stadium before you see the big play on tv. I've already talked to my dad about keeping the house in the family. Its my favorite place in the world.

Veronica

Cheerleader
Reaction score
My first words were "Go Packers!"

I wasn't yet a year old; my mother and big sisters were surprised. "Veronica can talk!"

My father scolded, "Ssh, ssh, ssh. The game is on."

My father began attending games at State Fair Park in West Allis and then the Milwaukee County Stadium. My fondest memories are of us going to Lambeau on game days and the hours he spent with me teaching pass patterns while tossing around the football in the backyard.

Last edited:

Myndflyte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up in Wisconsin and my parents were Packer fans. My fondest memories are listening to the radio broadcast while watching it on TV. But now I'm a Packer fan for life.

hit and run

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My mom was born and grew up in Kenosha. I've never been to Wisconsin, having grown up and living in Northern California my whole life. But, my mom used to dress me in Packers shirts, sweatshirts, and oh yeah... the full Packers uniform, with plastic shoulder pads and helmet, when I was a little kid. While I live in Niner land, I'll always root for the Pack! I'm turning 50 next month and finally decided it was time to get to a game while I still have the chance. So, I'll be at the October 19th game against the Panthers! Just bought my tickets (for me and my wife), air fair and rental car. We're lucky to have a friend of my wife, from high school, who now lives in Green Bay, offer to put us up while we're there. I haven't been to a football game in nearly 30 years, and have never been close to Green Bay. I'm really hoping they don't wear their "third" blue jerseys that game. Go Pack!

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My mom was born and grew up in Kenosha. I've never been to Wisconsin, having grown up and living in Northern California my whole life. But, my mom used to dress me in Packers shirts, sweatshirts, and oh yeah... the full Packers uniform, with plastic shoulder pads and helmet, when I was a little kid. While I live in Niner land, I'll always root for the Pack! I'm turning 50 next month and finally decided it was time to get to a game while I still have the chance. So, I'll be at the October 19th game against the Panthers! Just bought my tickets (for me and my wife), air fair and rental car. We're lucky to have a friend of my wife, from high school, who now lives in Green Bay, offer to put us up while we're there. I haven't been to a football game in nearly 30 years, and have never been close to Green Bay. I'm really hoping they don't wear their "third" blue jerseys that game. Go Pack!
You are in for an experience of a lifetime.
Soak it all up like a sponge!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts