What made you a Packers fan?

thatguy188

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Figured I would put my first post on this forum in this thread.

I guess how I became a Packers fan is quiet funny. I was born & lived in Germany until 2000 (I was 13). When I moved over here with my parents I could barely speak any english and had no idea what football was. To pass time and out of curiosity I got the game Madden 2000. Well, I sucked in it, horribly, afterall, I didn't really know the game. With that said, I ventured out and had to play with the best QB in the game to ever have a chance (which was Favre).

Well, the rest is history, been a huge fan ever since. #GoPackGo

The_PackisBack

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I was born in Wisconsin and my entire family is from there. So pretty much I was spoken for since birth. Almost all of my extended family still lives there.

GohanBurner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born in Wisconsin and fell in love with watching Brett Favre play, not to mention how legendary the Packer's really are. Packer fan for life!

Stigi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a german guy. I watched every year Superbowl in tv even tho i had no clue about the rules. I moved to the United states a couple years ago. Here i watched a complete nfl season 2010- with the Packers.... Their stadium is awesome, their players rock, so i felt connected with this team right away :)

TecmoBobNelson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My first post, I guess it's fitting that it comes in this thread. My dad is a huge Packers fan and like most kids, we root for the teams our dads root for.

Vladimirr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too many reasons to be a Packer fan to think of them all, but...

• Hearing my (late) grandmother talk about watching games at Borchert Field and State Fair Park when she was a girl.
  • Growing up as a fan of a perpetually-losing team builds character, and makes it even sweeter when they start winning. Fans reassuring themselves with "The Pack is Back!" every year and not losing hope.
  • Here's one I've never admitted in public before... I must have been like four years old. We were driving somewhere near the state line, and I saw a Bears logo on a car. I think I said, "Look, it's a bear! I like bears!". Followed by a car full of angry adults yelling "No! Don't you ever let me hear you say that again! I'll wash your mouth out with soap!" etc...
  • Having a kid at school show everyone the prototype that his dad made. Cheap yellow foam triangle with painted-on blue dots and lettering, made to look like a piece of cheese, that you wore on your head. From this humble beginning, the Foamation empire was born.
  • Infante and the Majik Man giving us our first winning season since I was born.
  • The mania associated with the former QB whose name I shall not mention, during his glory days.
  • The entire city shutting down on Sundays in the winter, especially in the playoffs.
  • The priest hurrying up his sermon because the game was starting at noon.
  • Working on Sundays was OK, since after the game started we never got any customers. My boss would pull the old black and white TV with rabbit ears out of the back room, and the whole bunch of us would huddle around the static-filled picture.
  • Superbowl XXXI - As soon as we won, I ran outside barefoot into a foot of snow. The entire neighborhood went insane, lighting off fireworks and partying like there was no tomorrow.
I've since moved to Florida, and the passion for pro football is nowhere near what it is in Wisconsin. (They're nuts about their college teams, though)

And other, more generic "no-brainer" reasons:
  • The only publicly-owned team and the only not-for-profit organization in all of pro sports.
  • Most championships in football.
  • Best rivalry in football (with the Bears, of course)
  • Best players in history - Curly Lambeau. Bart Starr. Vince Lombardi. Reggie White. That Brent guy.
  • Coming up on our 100th anniversary of existence.

cheesymike

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am from the Cleveland area.

In 1995, as you all know, the Browns left. I had already started looking for another team. I chose the Packers.

Why? They will never, ever move. I'm not going through that twice.

It doesn't hurt matters that the Packers have been successful for most of the last two decades, while the Zombie Browns are only now starting to get out of their slumber.

crockett3663

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I must confess that as a child, eventhough I was somewhat of a Packer fan, I was actually more of a...ahem...Viking fan. Before you all decide to gang tackle me and burn me in efigy, you must understand that this was during the mid 70's, when the Packers were are their just about worst in their history, while the Vikings (with HOFer Fran Tarkenton at QB) were winning what was the NFC Central on an annual basis.

In my teens I finally began to understand the affection that Packer fans had for their team. I moved away from being a Viking fan and became a full fledged Packer fan in the late 70's. As you all know, the Packers were not that successful during the 80's, but I knew that to be a true fan meant sticking with my chosen team thru the good times AND bad. I am proud to call myself a Packer fan today, and I've already instilled a love for the Packers in both of my boys, having them both added to the season ticket waiting list on the day each of them was born.

ClemsonFan

New Era Packers Fan
Reaction score
Well, I'm a lifelong Jets fan, but they suck this year. I mean they blow hard. So I'm hoping to jump on your bandwagon for the rest of the season or maybe even forever. If you all will have me, that is.
Welcome to the family and hop on the wagon! All are welcome, because the more fans, the better :) (i used to be a Cardinals fan, so I know what you're feeling). But don't jump off the Packer bandwagon when the Jets or some other team gets good. I hope you stay on the wagon for life though.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I must confess that as a child, eventhough I was somewhat of a Packer fan, I was actually more of a...ahem...Viking fan. Before you all decide to gang tackle me and burn me in efigy, you must understand that this was during the mid 70's, when the Packers were are their just about worst in their history, while the Vikings (with HOFer Fran Tarkenton at QB) were winning what was the NFC Central on an annual basis.

In my teens I finally began to understand the affection that Packer fans had for their team. I moved away from being a Viking fan and became a full fledged Packer fan in the late 70's. As you all know, the Packers were not that successful during the 80's, but I knew that to be a true fan meant sticking with my chosen team thru the good times AND bad. I am proud to call myself a Packer fan today, and I've already instilled a love for the Packers in both of my boys, having them both added to the season ticket waiting list on the day each of them was born.
POST MORE, where are you!
Need more older fans like myself.
And Helmets lol

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My dad is a Vikings fan so naturally I wanted to be a Packers fan lol. Robert Brooks was one of my favorite players growing up. I used to pretend I was a white version on him when we played football in the lot... endzone dance and all.
POST MORE!
I also LOVED LOVED Robert Brooks and still hate the 49ers because that is who we were playing when he tore his ACL.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My friend is deeply infatuated with Clay Matthews, so she WROTE A RAP ABOUT HIM! Watch it here Wisconsinites!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I'm a proud packer fan.. ON WISCONSIN!
WHy is this your only post???
We need more of you.....

RowdyPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a Texan, born and raised. When I was about 8 years old my mom left me with my grandma while she ran errands. I turned on the TV and came across a Green Bay-Tampa Bay game. I had never really paid attention to football until then. I was really fascinated with Green Bay and watching the game that I have been following them ever since.

GO PACK GO!

Doylebeule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always been a big fan of "that 70s Show" and as many of you might know, one of the best TV-characters of all time (Red) was a huge Packers fan. hold that...

Beeing a german you can consider yourself lucky to ever stumble upon the great game of football. The Superbowl is the only thing even mentioned to a bigger audience (and the only game broadcasted in german tv) , but it aires at 02:00 in the night, you might even miss that for your entire life ;)
Basketball got a nice break with Dirk Nowitzki, it allways helps to have a star player. Following his career from the early beginnings exposed me to the various "american sports", but football was the only thing that stuck. Chosing a team to root for i picked the only team i knew, thanks to Red. The bond grew stronger every year and i didnt miss a game for 4 years now, despite the unfriendly daytime it aires. I'm happy for every early game and so is my boss ;)

A happy new year to all Packerfans.

WhatUSaid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My buddy in middle school got me into the Packers. Before that I wasn't much into football.

I got hooked in about halfway threw the 1996 SuperBowl year.

I have some great memories.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Always been a big fan of "that 70s Show" and as many of you might know, one of the best TV-characters of all time (Red) was a huge Packers fan. hold that...

Beeing a german you can consider yourself lucky to ever stumble upon the great game of football. The Superbowl is the only thing even mentioned to a bigger audience (and the only game broadcasted in german tv) , but it aires at 02:00 in the night, you might even miss that for your entire life ;)
Basketball got a nice break with Dirk Nowitzki, it allways helps to have a star player. Following his career from the early beginnings exposed me to the various "american sports", but football was the only thing that stuck. Chosing a team to root for i picked the only team i knew, thanks to Red. The bond grew stronger every year and i didnt miss a game for 4 years now, despite the unfriendly daytime it aires. I'm happy for every early game and so is my boss ;)

A happy new year to all Packerfans.
A guy out of Florida State University, named Bjoern Werner, is from Germany. He is currently expected to be drafted in the early first round of the football draft.

Happy New Year!!!

Doylebeule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A guy out of Florida State University, named Bjoern Werner, is from Germany. He is currently expected to be drafted in the early first round of the football draft.

Happy New Year!!!

Hope he gets drafted by a nice team. Sebastian Vollmer (Patriots) and Markus Kuhn (Giants) are currently the only german players in the NFL. Well... i can't root for them ^^

WaterBoy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First post here :) (don't have privileges for the intro section)..

I was born in Albuquerque, NM.. 1961.. lived literally all over the country, growing up (corporate version of an Army Brat).. but my parants were from Escanaba, MI (~100 miles north of GB).

My first memories of Packer football were at the end of the Lombardi ERA.. living in Colorado.. family and friends filling a classic, 60s sectional couch, around a 19" B&W TV... passing the woolen Packer cap around for luck, and passing the Jack Daniels bottle as tonic (that always by-passed me.. lol).. the foundation had been laid for my genetic predisposition.. no picking a team to follow and root for.. Packer football was then and forever, part of me (Lombardi had some arbitrary order as to where Packer football fits into your priorities.. he was "close")..

illmaculate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I became a Packers fan via the bandwagon in 1996 :) I was 10 years old and have become a die hard Packers fan since! My beautiful wife and amazing daughter get all dressed up in Packers gear every Sunday so it started off as a bandwagon thing but been cheering for them ever since!

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
New guy from across the pond here, only taken to American Football like 6months ago. Watched highlights of the Packers beat the Bears in September. Started to look into the history of the team, and likened them to my Soccer team (Wolves). Proud history, passionate fanbase. I liked how they were owned by the fans with a good community spirit, which is unique in NFL.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born and raised in Wisconsin and have been a Packer fan since before Lombardi came to town, college in Madtown for the first two Super Bowls, lived through the bad years and the Holmgren/Favre revival. With just a little bit of help for Aaron Rodgers, this era could be the brightest of all. Go Pack, now and forever!

TimthePackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born in the early 60's so watching the first super bowl, then championship game was rather interesting seeing it on 2 channels, CBS and NBC. My love for the Packers was further increased when they were being mentioned on every televison show from Green Acres to Laugh-In. One of my favorites is Elvis Presley mentioning the Packers in his movie, "A Change of Habit."

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I was born in the early 60's so watching the first super bowl, then championship game was rather interesting seeing it on 2 channels, CBS and NBC. My love for the Packers was further increased when they were being mentioned on every televison show from Green Acres to Laugh-In. One of my favorites is Elvis Presley mentioning the Packers in his movie, "A Change of Habit."

Great Avatar there bud....lol

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts