What made you a Packers fan?

Scout200

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made you a Packers fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Grew up in Wisconsin, my first memory was of my old Indian gramma had a rug that said "The Pack is Back!"
I asked her who the Pack was, and the rest is history!

Yes I know all of them personally.. (at least in my mind! :blink:) lol...

I got to meet quite a few in meet and greets, and but doubt they would remember me! :pardon:

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My mom was born and raised in Green Bay so all of that side of the family lives there. I grew up in Iowa but remember early on from my childhood going up there and seeing practices and going to the stadium. Watching the games from my grandparents house with all the relatives there, especially when they would play the Lions on Thanksgiving. Great memories. I was born with it in my blood to be a Packer fan.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get a lot of flack for this because I live and was born in Arizona. Whenever I gloat about my Pack my friends go "oh where in Wisconsin are you from again Jake"? But ya, despite living in Arizona my whole life, I've always watched the Packers. My Mom's whole side of the family is from Madison, so they got me into it when I was very young. Only in the past few years did I really become the football nerd I am today, but back in the day I would watch the team without really knowing what was going on. I have memories of watching with my family when I was little and going "where's Brett Favre? why isn't he on the field?", and my family said "because we're on defense right now", and I replied "so"?

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I get a lot of flack for this because I live and was born in Arizona. Whenever I gloat about my Pack my friends go "oh where in Wisconsin are you from again Jake"? But ya, despite living in Arizona my whole life, I've always watched the Packers. My Mom's whole side of the family is from Madison, so they got me into it when I was very young. Only in the past few years did I really become the football nerd I am today, but back in the day I would watch the team without really knowing what was going on. I have memories of watching with my family when I was little and going "where's Brett Favre? why isn't he on the field?", and my family said "because we're on defense right now", and I replied "so"?

some of my best die hard fan/friends never stepped a toenail in the state of Wisconsin!

I remember that same senerio about why the QB isn't on the field! An armchair QB in training!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of factors. Games starter broadcasting in here in the early 90's, and I started liking the Packers back then. Then I remembered that my father was an exchange student in Racine when he was young. Then I discovered they were publicly owned... Brett Favre, Reggie White and Sterling Sharpe were also reasons I started liking the Packers...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made me a Packer fan? God came to me in a dream and told me if I wasn't, the terrorists would win.

packerstl101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my family grew up watching them play and so i watched them play too. noone in my family has ever lived in or near green bay though

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won a SB XXXI authentic football because my dad picked the Packers over the Patriots for some Kraft contest they had going at the time. Barely watched SB XXXI but I was a fan the next season.

PWC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in rival territory, but one side of my family is from WI. It's not easy holding down the fort out here but it was worth it getting to wear my Super Bowl XLV stuff in another NFC North city for the last few months!

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Went to Michigan Tech in the upper peninsula (basically is WI). All games there were Pack games became a fan going to school. After that I moved to MN and found out how much fun it is to entice Viqueen fans!

Been to Green Bay quiet a few times now, never to a game. Hopefully we will be going there this season!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Born in Wis...Sunday the Packer game was on..

I went to my 1st game in the 70's at County Stadium...Lynn ****ey has his leg broken in a game vs the Rams

buckshotrob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i was 6 and the first game i ever saw was brett farve carvin up some d i dont even remember the other team but i remember thinkin thats my fav team and im from columbus ohio im 22 now and aint never swiched up i seen my first game last year aginst the lions at lambeau and if there a season ill be back sept 8th go pack go

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Born in Wis...Sunday the Packer game was on..

I went to my 1st game in the 70's at County Stadium...Lynn ****ey has his leg broken in a game vs the Rams

I was there at that game, too. Sucked when he got hurt- and had no idea that he would be gone for so long, missing the entire next season.

I am a fan as I was born and raised in Wisconsin. Game time on Sunday was the only religion in that house.

Still is.

Padfoot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm from Croatia, no one watches football here.
When I got my first Madden, I played with Packers, all the time, I don't know why. So when I started whatching football, I watched some Packers games and instantly liked them.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Born and raised in Wisconsin --right on the banks of the St. Croix River -- just east of Minneapolis/St. Paul. Where I lived, you were either a die-hard Packer fan or a Viqueen fan, and real men don't wear purple. From as early as I can remember, my parents would take us to the Green Bay vs. Minnesota game each year at Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington. When we weren't at the game watching, we were watching on television.
I fell in love with the Pack watching Starr, Hornung, Pitts, Taylor, Kramer, Nitschke, Davis, Wood, and my favorite kick returner -- Travelin' Travis Williams.
Over the course of time I realized that if you cut me, I bleed Green and Gold.

ozbuc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am an odd case, at least thats what my ex wives tell me. I was born in Bakersfield CA of Okie stock but was raised in Superior. Superior has a lot of Viking fans because of its proximity with Minn. and because that's where Bud Grant is from. I was a firefighter in Superior and many of my fellow workers went to high school with Grant.

Reaction score
The day I was born, I already had a Packers Jersey on me.. Ever since, I grew up loving them even though I'm not a Wisconsin Native myself.. I now own over 15 signed helmets and tons of game worn stuff / jerseys! I literally breathe green and gold 24/7 365 days a year!

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My father bought me Madden 98 and the packers were the best team on the game...I started to sorta like football then...didn't come from a football loving family....my family is into soccer and baseball....me not so much, but I can respect the sports...I didn't really become a fan until 2003 when I met some new friends that were big football fans...Gus...my mothers life partner...he happened to be a die hard packer fan...so I started to research them a little and really liked their historical significance in the game...as well as being from one of the smallest markets in the NFL my family is from one of the smallest countries in the world (Malta) ...so it made me like them more...i didnt want to be like everyone else i know and just be a giants or jeys fan just because they r the local team...i wanted to be different....maybe for the last 6 or 7 seasons I can be considered a true packers fan...little did I know back then when I decided that the packers were my team...they didn't air their games in new Jersey on local cable.

So I am always either at the bar watching them or at a friends w the Sunday ticket

I did go to lambeau in 2009 when they played Dallas ...one of the best times I've ever had

And that's how I became a fan to the best team on the world

sent from my rooted evo4g

sped2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I became a fan because of my location. Not only do I live in Green Bay, but I also live less than one mile from Lambeau which intensifies the experience. Though I do know people who live here and are not fans, they are few and far between.

It is also easier to form a more personal connection with the team and specific players - particularly when I was younger, the players were very accessible in the community. Brett lived next to my brother's friend (they TP'ed his home, haha) and his daughter went to Southwest while she was here with a bunch of my friends, Reggie White's wife helped me shop for presents one year and I sang at his retirement with my choir, some of the coaches (Mike Sherman in particular) had kids on the city baseballs teams when my brother played, many of the players (Ryan Longwell I remember best - such a nice guy) went bowling with my brother's class... it goes on and on. Donald Driver and Aaron Rodgers always stop in my dad's work and (Driver in particular) chat for quite a while.

I love the Packers because, for the most part, they are down-to-earth guys who make me proud to support them. :) I spent quite a few summers in Chicago growing up and could have easily converted, but knowing everything that I do know about this organization will always keep me a fan.

(I also like how, for the most part, the team is good! They have their off years, but it sure does make it easier supporting a team who typically has a winning record).

And respect. The Packers are a respected organization, and it makes me proud to support them. I take a lot of pride in living in the smallest community with an NFL team who actually "own" their team. It is really a cool experience.

Members online

Latest posts