What is wrong with Aaron Rodgers? Rust or something more?

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now, I love Aaron Rodgers, he is amazing, but until the second half of the bills game, where was the aaron rodgers that can take us to the superbowl at? He has made errant throws that he simply never makes. After the bills game, he said that there were times he could not throw a spiral. For a guy many feel has the tightest spiral in the nfl, this is just mind boggling to me. And he couldn't make the lambeau leap after that run. He told his teammates he was too tired but I dunno... Do you think that its possible there is some kind of injury or something tweaked that we just dont know about? Now to be fair, I know last year he started out slow too. And on the other hand, you could say the whole offense wasn't playing great until the second half of the bills game (Jermichael hadn't got involved as much as he should be, James Jones had run some sloppy routes) I just wanted the opinion of my fellow packer fans on how they felt.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its probably mostly mental. There's such high expectations of him, and he has such high expectations of himself. It can make it difficult to perform well under that kind of expectation. He'll be fine once he gets in his groove though.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
i stand by my proposal that aaron rodger's skill is directly tied to size and hilarity of his facial hair.

If not this, and I think its been scientifically proven, then it is probably as stated above. With so much expectations its hard to continue that kind of level. People keep saying Favre can't be expected to maintain the level of play he had last year, I think the same should be said about Rodgers too. He played great 2 years in a row, and though I think he'll still put up close, if not more, than 4000 yards again... he's gonna have some sloppy games.

But again, thats if its not tied to the size and hilarity of his facial hair...

which it is.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Maybe he just feels more pressure to be an elite QB this year. There's a lot of expectation for him to live up to (as well as the rest of our team). He doesn't seem like the type of guy that's going to really let that get to him. For that reason, I don't see this being much of a problem, other than early season jitters.

Comparatively, look at Drew Brees last year. He had the same problems at times. Even last night, he seemed to struggle a bit (thought I must say that the 49ers defense had a little something to do with it).

Should we really be judging our QB for putting up 250 yards, 2 td's and a rushing td? Especially when the opposing QB barely mustered 100 yards? I think our problems lie elsewhere and if we don't establish a stronger running game, Rodgers is gonna feel like it's all on his shoulders. Then I could see some problems.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
He's been told all off season he is the next coming of Steve Young and that the Packers are going to a SB by the pundits. That's a lot of pressure on him and the team. When he realizes he just needs to go out and play and forget about that, Mr. Rodgers will be back. He might also be having nightmares about the beginning of last season when he got kicked around.

Question is. How do you go from looking so great in preseason to kind of Ugly in the regular? Have the Defenses caught on how to unsettle him a bit more than last year?

I notice that last TD against the Bills, that ball was an UGLY UGLY spiral.

OP
OP
P

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I notice that last TD against the Bills, that ball was an UGLY UGLY spiral.

This is what scares me half to death. I am really really worried. Rodgers' spiral never used to waiver, at all. I just am getting concerned that there is something to it. He did play well in the second half. But as you said, some balls just weren't spirals. So nobody thinks it something he hurt though? That's good news. Cuz if that's the case, this is all correctible with relative ease. Just simple mechanic issues.

One saving grace is that last year he started out just about the same. In fact, last year at this point, he had 2 more yards, less accuracy, lower qb rating, less tds, but no picks. But overall, a very similar and sluggish start. I think he'll pick it up. A lot of balls have sailed because of james jones running bad routes too...

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
This is what scares me half to death. I am really really worried. Rodgers' spiral never used to waiver, at all. I just am getting concerned that there is something to it. He did play well in the second half. But as you said, some balls just weren't spirals. So nobody thinks it something he hurt though? That's good news. Cuz if that's the case, this is all correctible with relative ease. Just simple mechanic issues.

One saving grace is that last year he started out just about the same. In fact, last year at this point, he had 2 more yards, less accuracy, lower qb rating, less tds, but no picks. But overall, a very similar and sluggish start. I think he'll pick it up. A lot of balls have sailed because of james jones running bad routes too...

Well, that's good news. Maybe he takes a while to get settled into the season. If he's still playing inconsistent 2-3 games from now, I'll be worried.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez, the guy's numbers for 2 games are about where his career numbers are, but with a better qb rating. He's missed a few passes, we're 2/0. Everything is just fine.

Kallalives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the packers need to start taking more shots deep down field with Jennings and Driver. So far Rodgers's longest pass completion has been 34 yards. Last year Rodgers and the Pack thrived on the deep ball. They need to get back to that, so they can stretch opponents defenses better which will open up the running game and make the underneath routes easier to run.

ztro4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it is as much as a slow start, as it is how hot he started in the preseason. Our preception is a bit off thinking that the wheels would keep on rolling the way they did in the preseason. I plead guilty to this as well. As others have pointed out I have taken a look at his stats comparing them to his past 2 seasons and he is right on par to be the Aaron Rodgers that we all know. I know we all would like to see him throw four 4 TDs a game for 400+ yards, and those games will come.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
game 1, wet ball.
game 2, a little jitters.

As far as Finley I dont think he is under targeting him. I think last season he over targeted him to a point where it hurt us. I know he missed Finley wide open on Sunday though

John

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the packers need to start taking more shots deep down field with Jennings and Driver. So far Rodgers's longest pass completion has been 34 yards. Last year Rodgers and the Pack thrived on the deep ball. They need to get back to that, so they can stretch opponents defenses better which will open up the running game and make the underneath routes easier to run.
Agreed. The deep ball is one our best weapons.

Members online

Latest posts