What is the word on BJ Raji?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll throw in a few tidbits for thought here. I think Ted has morphed some through the years of injuries this team has suffered and views the PUP as another tool to inject fresh players onto the roster. Thompson is a very patient man. I think he knows he's going to need more players by the time November and December roll around and someone like Guion has a body of work they feel comfortable with. Guys aren't static. Guion was hurt and needed some time to recover health. He may or may not be 100% at this time. Either way, it gave Thompson a chance to get a good look at young players who don't have Guion's experience and body of work. When you maintain cap disciplinelike the Packers do, and you know you have a contending team, it's not imperative to sacrifice November games for September games. I think Ted basically tries to accumulate and hold as much talent as he can using every tool he can to do so knowing that he'll most likely need them all. Very few players can give you high quality play throughout a 16 game season. Most have flaws that can be exploited and the inevitable nicks and lesser injuries exacerbate the flaws.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know letroy Guion was stood up in this video but i dont think a nose gaurd in a 3-4 system should ever get run over like that. Nose gaurds are meat shields they eat blocks and this doesnt make me feel good about Letroy.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I know letroy Guion was stood up in this video but i dont think a nose gaurd in a 3-4 system should ever get run over like that. Nose gaurds are meat shields they eat blocks and this doesnt make me feel good about Letroy.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

It's a wait and see on Guion. He has the body and "talks the talk" so well see.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
So, Raptorman-- Is Guion a possible answer here? I see he had a good game against the Packers last year, including a sack on Rodgers. But, can he play well consistently? Pros/Cons?
He could be. Remember he played in a 4-3 in MN. But he did back up K. Williams and Fred Evans, so he may do well for the Packers. It's all in what's being asked of him. Evans replace Pat Williams a couple of year ago when he retired.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Raji goes on IR, we pay him for the year, and he signs another "prove it" contract next year

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...I think that it showed in the first game how valuable Raji is. What we lost is not a minimum contract guy. What we lost is a very solid contributor who is also a Pro Bowler. I think there is a great opportunity to sign Raji to a long-term contract after this year at a discounted price.
I was thinking the same thing, but the huge problem will be finding that "right" price. Raji took 1 yr/$4Mil w/ add'l incentives to play this season in the hopes of proving to someone that he's worth more. Has his marketability upgraded in '14?

Can't see TT offering even a 2 yr./$10-$12Mil and would think the Raji camp wouldn't accept it if he did. I think it'll be another 1 yr/prove it deal for him, again, possibly similar to '14's.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It's been so long since he's played well that I don't think he's going to get any good offers unless he's the only NT in free agency. He looks to me like a third or fourth week signee for a prove it short term contract.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So then you must think that our defensive problems are not related to missing Raji, right?
I'll throw my $.02 in. Raji might be the answer to ONE of the defensive problems, the huge holes up the middle. His absence has no bearing on Brad Jones grabbing receivers or watching others attempt to make a stop, the serious lack of wrapping up (hence the 20+ missed tackles in the backfield), the poor/missing contain on the edges, or the ILB's running 3 steps behind receivers.

Members online

Latest posts