What is the word on BJ Raji?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His arm was in a sling. How serious is it? Lets not turn this into a doom and gloom thread. I am just curious.

Also, besides Raji, did we come out of the Raiders game relatively healthy?

D

Deleted member 6794

Sources believe Raji has a torn biceps, tests will show if it's partially or fully.

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if it's only a partial tear he could return at some point during the season, a full tear would end Raji's 2014 campaign.
Reports confirm that it is a torn bicep. Could be season ending. Who do we have to replace him?

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

At Nose Tackle :
1) B.J. Raji
2) Letroy Guion - 6'4" - 315 lbs - 7th yr
3) Mike Pennel - 6'4" - 332 lbs - Rookie

We hope for the best for B.J. Raji , but the reality looks to not be good. Let us hope the the next man can step up, it's a very important position on the D-Line .

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously we are all hoping for the tear being "only" partial. This is a loss for sure but I believe we can get by with some other bigs plugging in for him. Depending on the severity this could also impact roster cuts as well as the 3 QB and 6 WR question. We will need to keep an extra big be it a guy like Pennel or bringing back Pickett so we have enough rotational guys to keep fresh bulk at the point of attack. Fresh Bulk sounds like a fusion punk rock band from Scranton but that's besides the point. Who know's maybe one of the young guys will step up in his absence and BJ can come back mid-season or something. This would be the best of both worlds as one guy would be playing with confidence and 90 would have fresh legs to finish the season. This is certainly a glass half full viewpoint but I will be damned if this injury dampens my enthusiasm for the upcoming season. I loved the energy I saw last night and it seems we have more than a few guys that like to bring the lumber. The offense speaks for itself and if this D plays up to it's potential we are going to be one touch out. This is obviously a loss but I am confident it is one we can overcome...fingers crossed.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think with Guion still being out and probably headed to the PUP list Mike Pennel has a great shot to make the team and maybe even start as I'm not sure I like the idea pf having a base of Daniels, Boyd and Jones.

D

Deleted member 6794

Results are in from today's test, Raji out for the season with torn biceps.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The guys we have on the team that could play NT after Raji are Pennel (332 lbs), Guion (317 lbs + hamstring), Gray (313 lbs), and Boyd (310 lbs). Gray hasn't been talked about much, but he does move well for a big man, and he made a few plays yesterday. Guion is the veteran so he would make sense, but is he suddenly going to be healthy after not practicing all offseason/preseason with a hamstring injury? We can try to stick Boyd there, but he doesn't look ready to me. Pennel and Gray look good, but lets be honest, these are young UDFA's. We don't want to depend on them as starters.

Pickett Makes a lot of sense to bring in, but he's older and definitely losing steps. I think he's a good fallback plan, but I'd really like to see us bring someone in. Honestly, this is the perfect position to trade for. It's a valuable position, and Raji is on the last year of his contract anyways. But then again, would a team be willing to give up a NT? Maybe a team that is looking for draft picks and looking to blow up their team soon. But if there is nothing in FA/waivers/trade, then Pickett will have to do. Jolly is also an option, but he's on the smaller size at 317 lbs and one slip-up away from being out of the league for life. I'd be nervous depending on him as well. The other thing we could do is sign both Jolly and Pickett at the cost of a young guy, but I don't really like that idea.

Also, how long does a completely torn bicep take to recover from? And chances he could be designated to return for the end of the season/playoffs?
You beat me to it.

I'd be very surprised if Pickett is in any kind of shape to play football. Mildly surprised if Jolly is as well. My guess is we'll hear Thompson say soon that the NT is on the roster while he quietly keeps his eye open for a cap casualty.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Guion is the one who could return during the season – I believe he’s eligible for the PUP list because he hasn’t practiced. Boyd may be who they look at first – I believe he played on the nose after Raji left the game. It would great to bring in another big man but other than Pickett that’s probably unlikely. BTW, I don’t think this affects rosters spots – Raji goes to IR and either someone is signed or one of Pennel or Gray make the team when they wouldn’t have otherwise. If Ted has a Howard Green-like move in him, before the season starts would be a great time to do it.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guion is the one who could return during the season – I believe he’s eligible for the PUP list because he hasn’t practiced. Boyd may be who they look at first – I believe he played on the nose after Raji left the game. It would great to bring in another big man but other than Pickett that’s probably unlikely. BTW, I don’t think this affects rosters spots – Raji goes to IR and either someone is signed or one of Pennel or Gray make the team when they wouldn’t have otherwise. If Ted has a Howard Green-like move in him, before the season starts would be a great time to do it.

I hope you are right but I fear that they will feel the need to carry two guys to fill this loss. I suppose we get lucky with a cap casualty guy or surprising cut but I wouldn't bank on that. The shape issue has to be brought up with regards to Pick. He is a professional though and it would surprise me if he weren't in at least decent shape and with a month or so good shape. He knows the system well and would be an instant plug and play guy so long as he's physically capable. I keep telling myself this is just a freak accident and not a sign that another snake bitten season is on the horizon. Someone get me some warm milk, stroke my head and tell me I'm right...please!

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there's any position where a young undrafted rookie can play well, it's nose tackle. Eating up blocks and chasing the ball isn't nearly as complicated as other spots.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I hope you are right but I fear that they will feel the need to carry two guys to fill this loss.
I’ll be surprised if they keep an extra "NT" on the roster because of the loss of Raji; the question though IMO is what was the plan personnel wise with a healthy Raji? And how much were they planning on using Raji as a NT? As (in)frequently as in the past?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If there's any position where a young undrafted rookie can play well, it's nose tackle. Eating up blocks and chasing the ball isn't nearly as complicated as other spots.

I like Pennel. He has the size and has played well granite mostly against other teams 2's or 3's. This is a big blow and it's frustrating because Raji was playing well again. Boyd hasn't really showed anything great IMO. It's a little nerving thinking of starting an UDFA on a defense that we need to improve.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I’ll be surprised if they keep an extra "NT" on the roster because of the loss of Raji; the question though IMO is what was the plan personnel wise with a healthy Raji? And how much were they planning on using Raji as a NT? As (in)frequently as in the past?

Right but as pointed out even last night by Aaron Rodgers in press conference there is a bunch of scheme that we haven't even seen from defense in games. I am curious to know how much of that new scheme included Raji.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Torn biceps? Take a lesson from Gilbert Brown. Buck up. Play through it (or at least try) and heal up in the offseason.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guys we have on the team that could play NT after Raji are Pennel (332 lbs), Guion (317 lbs + hamstring), Gray (313 lbs), and Boyd (310 lbs). Gray hasn't been talked about much, but he does move well for a big man, and he made a few plays yesterday. Guion is the veteran so he would make sense, but is he suddenly going to be healthy after not practicing all offseason/preseason with a hamstring injury? We can try to stick Boyd there, but he doesn't look ready to me. Pennel and Gray look good, but lets be honest, these are young UDFA's. We don't want to depend on them as starters.

Pickett Makes a lot of sense to bring in, but he's older and definitely losing steps. I think he's a good fallback plan, but I'd really like to see us bring someone in. Honestly, this is the perfect position to trade for. It's a valuable position, and Raji is on the last year of his contract anyways. But then again, would a team be willing to give up a NT? Maybe a team that is looking for draft picks and looking to blow up their team soon. But if there is nothing in FA/waivers/trade, then Pickett will have to do. Jolly is also an option, but he's on the smaller size at 317 lbs and one slip-up away from being out of the league for life. I'd be nervous depending on him as well. The other thing we could do is sign both Jolly and Pickett at the cost of a young guy, but I don't really like that idea.

Also, how long does a completely torn bicep take to recover from? And chances he could be designated to return for the end of the season/playoffs?

We don't play alot of 34 D, I would think that having 2 true NTs on the roster should be sufficient. Also don't slep on Khyri Thornton. Yes he hasn't looked good in the preseason but last year that was Boyd and he came around nicely, don't be surprised if Thornton does just enough to make the roster and then turns into a good big body for us.

Members online

Latest posts