What is our running back situation for 2013 season?

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would go with Alex Green if he's back to 100% and Dujuan Harris. I would also keep Ryan Grant believe it or not - unless some street free agent or low draft pick comes along who shows something like Harris did.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Harris is the no-brainer, all others would compete for a 2nd half of a one/two punch combo. ALL others would be given walking papers. I think drafting a RB in late rounds is good too, fresh young talent is always good.
we have to many as of right now, we need to trim some fat off.

OP
OP
DON BARRETT

DON BARRETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe they will pick up a RB in the draft late, defense is the main issue. We need a pass rusher bad!
I like Harris and like you said all others would be 2 or 3 play relief backs.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alex Green finally completely recovered is basically fresh and new. He showed enough even when he wasn't 100% that I have hope he splitting time with Harris is a decent solution. The big negative on Ryan Grant was asking too much money when he was let go. I still think he would be a quality back up for the apparently reasonable amount he gets now. Not to be negative about Harris, but the jury is still out. We were starving for a morsel of quality at RB and he provided that. Can he do it long term? Maybe/Hopefully/but not dead sure.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team is basically full of 2's as it is. While I was on Harris's bandwagon from the time when we first picked him up he is no top 10 RB. This would be my dream scenario:

1-Harris
2-Rookie RB
3- Green
4- Starks

Practice Squad: Saine, Tyler

Street FA in case of injuries: Cedric Benson

I think Benson would be the starter going into this year had he not got injured. Now he is another year older, another injury had and I don't see him as a serious improvement above the other players, much less a long-term option. If injuries strike again we can do like we did with Ryan Grant and sign him because he knows the system.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see Benson and Harris share hand offs. If Benson doesn't come back I'd like to see Green and Harris plus maybe a guy drafted. As long as Grant doesn't come back

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see Benson and Harris share hand offs. If Benson doesn't come back I'd like to see Green and Harris plus maybe a guy drafted. As long as Grant doesn't come back

Why the hate for Grant? I kinda feel the same way about Benson. Grant doesn't have too much wear and tear for his age. I think with the benefit of a full training camp, he could get back to where he was when he was with the Packers the first time, and for very reasonable money.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1-Harris
2-Rookie RB
3- Green
4- Starks

Practice Squad: Saine, Tyler

Street FA in case of injuries: Cedric Benson
My list in no particular order would be: Harris, Green, Saine/Rookie RB, Benson/Grant.

They should draft a RB in the mid-rounds and let him compete with Saine for a spot on the active roster, the loser being cut or put on the practice squad. We also need one true veteran on the active squad and I've honestly fine with either Cedric Benson or Ryan Grant. Benson was running the ball well for just picking up a new system and was improving each week. Grant had that nice first run but didn't get many opportunities. Let two old dogs fight for the dusty bone and put the loser out to pasture

M

mayo44

Why the hate for Grant? I kinda feel the same way about Benson. Grant doesn't have too much wear and tear for his age. I think with the benefit of a full training camp, he could get back to where he was when he was with the Packers the first time, and for very reasonable money.

It's not hate. It's simply a recognition that Grant isn't really all that good.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't like watching Grant get stuffed for little to no yards time after time with a rare break out run for 15 yards. I'd rather have someone a little more consistent.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like watching Grant get stuffed for little to no yards time after time with a rare break out run for 15 yards. I'd rather have someone a little more consistent.

Benson seemed to me to be consistent - consistently bad. Grant showed a little bit but not much last season. I suspect he wasn't completely in football shape, and with camp and preseason this year, he might be back to where he was before leaving in free agency - or not. Nothing is sure - not Jackson, certainly not Benson, not Harris, not Green. They all should stand or fall based on performance, and my guess is that when it all shakes out, Green, Harris, and Grant win the jobs.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Benson seemed to me to be consistent - consistently bad. Grant showed a little bit but not much last season. I suspect he wasn't completely in football shape, and with camp and preseason this year, he might be back to where he was before leaving in free agency - or not. Nothing is sure - not Jackson, certainly not Benson, not Harris, not Green. They all should stand or fall based on performance, and my guess is that when it all shakes out, Green, Harris, and Grant win the jobs.
Grant will not be on the 2013 roster.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers will draft a TB if they don't sign a bargain FA runner first. I'm thinking 3rd. round.

Alex Green was a 3rd. round pick, but his college highlight film was almost exclusively delays and draws out of spread option shotgun, or "pistol" if one prefers, against less than elite competition. This time around it will be a runner who has demonstrated the ability to gain some yards against quality opponents who were actually expecting him to run the ball. Just a solid 700 yard, 4 yard per carry guy to split time with Harris should be sufficient.

If we could count on a healthy Starks and/or Benson, we could skip it. But we can't, so we won't.

With the recent fashion in the NFL to downgrade the position as a whole, those kinds of runners are available in the 3rd. round. Some of you will hate this...Monte Ball would fit the bill, though his Pro Day 40 time might have improved his stock.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Hahaha...never thought this would ever happen, but I agree with Texas. Benson turned out to be quite a waste of money IMHO. He got injured too quickly, and in the short time he played, he wasn`t that effective really:tup: .

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Hahaha...never thought this would ever happen, but I agree with Texas. Benson turned out to be quite a waste of money IMHO. He got injured too quickly, and in the short time he played, he wasn`t that effective really:tup: .

A waste of money in value to you and me, but in NFL terms, not so much. Think we only paid him $800,000. So the dent to the pocket book was minimal. His effectivness was coming along. You have to realize he was playing with an all new sysytem and new linemen, which takes a while to get used to. What I liked about him is the fact that he could actually hit the hole and wasnt afraid to lower his pads and hit someone.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A waste of money in value to you and me, but in NFL terms, not so much. Think we only paid him $800,000. So the dent to the pocket book was minimal. His effectivness was coming along. You have to realize he was playing with an all new sysytem and new linemen, which takes a while to get used to. What I liked about him is the fact that he could actually hit the hole and wasnt afraid to lower his pads and hit someone.

My point was and is, I'd choose Grant over Benson any day of the week, all things considered. I think we can handle the RB situation in house (as Ahman Green apparently stated). My choice would be Green and Harris getting the most touches with Grant as a backup. Nothing has been mentioned recently about John Kuhn. Is it fairly sure he will be back or not? Either way, I'd give Grant a chance at FB.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No mention of Kuhn because we are talking about RB's .. ....not the FB.

True, but he is a crossover to RB at times, and not having a backup, somebody among the RBs or TEs, maybe Taylor, must be trained to take his place if injured. It seems to me that Grant could do the job, and as motivated as he was and presumably still is to be a Packer (I refer to his community activities, etc. the first time around), he probably would be open to more reps at FB - not so, I would think with Benson or Starks or whoever.

Members online

Latest posts