What is Green Bay like during a game?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wondering if there is anyone who has every been in other parts of Green Bay while a game is going on?
Like how far away can the roar of the crowd be heard away from the stadium.
If the streets are deserted and empty.
If all shops are closed.
Does it have a ghost town type of feel?
I dunno if anyone can answer this since everyone might be at the game or in front of a TV and not wandering around but I thought I'd try.

sped2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can definitely answer this! I've lived in Green Bay for 25 years (and I'm 25), and my home is one mile from Lambeau. I can hear the roar from my house, so it at least carries a mile away. Shops don't close; however, it is the best time to go shopping... but you have to plan it really well. They close streets and make others one-ways before the game and at the end of the third quarter, so you have to leave after kick-off and get back before 4th quarter. The streets are very quiet.

However, I live on the West side, nearest Lambeau. The East side of GB may as well be a different city. It's a completely different feel over there.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
East side GB is also dead all the cars you will see will be parked at bars or at house for packer parties. Quite an awesome experience living in GB during football season.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would anyone who lives in the area know if the majority of residents are fans?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Would anyone who lives in the area know if the majority of residents are fans?
If, by majority, you mean 50% of the populace then I'd say yes. I'd agree to about 2/3 are Packer fans, the rest not football fans or fans of other teams. It may be sacrilegious but I've heard of a few Bear bars in the area. I'd say about 1/3 of the populace you'd consider serious fans with another 1/3 the casual or bandwagon type. Then again everyone knows about the team and who is next on the schedule.

sped2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, that sounds about right. I was commenting last weekend that in Green Bay all you see is green and gold on Sunday. I was at Festival (Foods) and all the customers had on Packer shirts... the checkers had them... the cashiers wore them... I think that a lot of people, even if not diehard football fans, will wear Packer shirts in GB because of the pride thing.

Pack15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I moved from Appleton over to Eau Claire, WI, and it is crazy how many purple lovers there are over here. I understand I'm pretty close to MN but come on! We're still in WI. I think the reason it's weird to me is because I'm used to almost everyone being a Packer fan in Appleton.

sped2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I moved to Hudson a couple years ago to student teach (the year we won the Super Bowl) I was very surprised at the amount of Vikings fans; however, it was an eye-opening experience that definitely will make you all the more appreciative of the Packers! I went there as a fair weather fan of the Packers and left as a diehard fan of the team. You feel like you're the only fan, so you have to cheer that much louder.

Members online

Latest posts