What is Barnett worth?

Reaction score
What do YOU think Barnett is worth currently?

How many years would you give him, if you were GM, and what is the total amount of the deal?

** This isn't ment to be a TT will not pay Barnett more than he deserves thread, it is meant for members to give their opinion on how much they thing Barnett is worth, and why **.

:)

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough question. One could argue Nick Barnett is a better football player then Nate Clements who signed that ridiculous contract. However CB is a position of great value in the NFL and LB is often expandable unless it's a game changer. Barnett is not an elite LB but I could argue he's on that next level and he's just about to enter the prime of his career.

The best MLB to hit the market this year in my opinion was London Fletcher and he signed a 5 year deal worth 25 million and 10.5 up front. Barnett is younger and I think better. So it’s fair to think he should get more than that. I would say he deserves 12 to 15 million in bonuses and probably a base salary of 5 to 7 mil a year. Maybe a 5 year 30 million dollar deal worth 12 million in bonuses. Maybe more.

Personally if I’m Nick Barnett I don’t sign any extension with the Packers. If I’m any player I don’t resign with my team. The market is crazy right now and you could get far more on the open market in my opinion.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like that Porky. Thats sounds good but add a year or two and 5 mil. Barnett is a great player and now with the ball Hawk with him they are gonna dominate.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick is worth what the Market would determine. It's hard for the average joe to put a price tag on something like that. Teams are willing to overpay if they think the risk could be worth the reward. When teams start to get in a bidding war the contracts can go through the roof.

I to am blown away by the amount of money FA's are getting. Marginal guys like Dennis Northcutt are getting paid ridiculous amounts of money. It seems it gets worse and worse every year.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to keep Barnett around. I happen to think that his future and his best value however is as an outside linebacker. I think his speed and aggressiveness would make him an ideal outside guy on either the strong or weak side. So does his value change if he is moved to one of those spots? I think he'd be a premiere outside backer, where I think he's only above average as a middle linebacker.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to keep Barnett around. I happen to think that his future and his best value however is as an outside linebacker. I think his speed and aggressiveness would make him an ideal outside guy on either the strong or weak side. So does his value change if he is moved to one of those spots? I think he'd be a premiere outside backer, where I think he's only above average as a middle linebacker.

It depends on which Barnett is playing. If Barnett plays under control he is a great MLB. If he doesn't he can make you pull your hair out. The problem I see is if they were to move Barnett outside I would rather have him at the Will.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Barnett I think hes worth every penny. Barnett and hawk, Why would anybody wanna mess that up?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Barnett I think hes worth every penny. Barnett and hawk, Why would anybody wanna mess that up?

I don't think anyone wants to mess it up but is Ted willing to pay Nick what Nick could get from these other teams that don't have a problem throwing some bank to FA's? Thats the question

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Thompson will have Barnett as a high priority and he'll get a contract extension...no way TT lets him leave. He's been way too productive and he wants to be there - big difference between JWalk and McKenzie.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packerfan1245 said:

I don't think anyone wants to mess it up but is Ted willing to pay Nick what Nick could get from these other teams that don't have a problem throwing some bank to FA's? Thats the question

I think they will hash out a deal. Get him locked up for 4-5 years.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going to be tough(and expensive) to sign Barnett to an extension this year because he knows that next year when he's a FA, the stupid money will be flying again and nobody really knows how high the stupid money will rise. So, he'll want big money THIS year to compensate him for money he feels will be available next year. Can't say I blame him too much. It's hard to overestimate the gullibility of some GMs. That said, I find it a 50/50 proposition TT will pay it.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd try to give him huuuuge money this season, seeing as there's quite a load of cash available in this year's cap space. I'd make it a long-term deal, like 5, maybe six years. Nothing too ridiculous in the years after this one, but generous none the less. But I'd make this year's wages pretty close to ridiculous.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
do you all think next year's free agency is gonna be as crazy as this year's? i don't. the reason it has been so crazy this year is the hike in the salary cap, right? so maybe a bit of that will trickle into next year, but free agency won't be the feeding frenzy that it has been this year.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
do you all think next year's free agency is gonna be as crazy as this year's? i don't.

This is said every year.

And every year I laugh.

Like this.

:rotflmao:

ok maybe not that much.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
do you all think next year's free agency is gonna be as crazy as this year's? i don't. the reason it has been so crazy this year is the hike in the salary cap, right? so maybe a bit of that will trickle into next year, but free agency won't be the feeding frenzy that it has been this year.

The salary cap is set to be around 116 million next year if I am not mistaken.

It's a jump like this year, so I do expect some crazy deals next year too.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going to be just as bad if not worse. It's just the way it works. As more players get bigger paydays the others will want contracts equal to them.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick is worth what the Market would determine. It's hard for the average joe to put a price tag on something like that. Teams are willing to overpay if they think the risk could be worth the reward. When teams start to get in a bidding war the contracts can go through the roof.

I to am blown away by the amount of money FA's are getting. Marginal guys like Dennis Northcutt are getting paid ridiculous amounts of money. It seems it gets worse and worse every year.
There are SO many good points being made in this thread! I didn't post before, cause i felt like Pyle. I don't know HOW to put a value on a player, as i feel that i can't even imagine that kind of money. And next year will be just like this year and last year.............people throwing HUGE amounts of money at FA's.
Barnett already said he won't hold out, but you KNOW that if this doesn't get done, that he will be eyeing up the payday he can get next year as a FA liked retiredgrandpa said.

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think barnett is 1 of the best MLB in the NFL (because of his age)

but if he feels the same as me we r gona have to shell out some $£$£$£$£ to keep him

i wont be that bad if we lose him i feel A.J can also play MLB

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is very young and good, him and Hawk make a great team and they both have great speed. I dont want to lose Barnett or I will be mad!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He is very young and good, him and Hawk make a great team and they both have great speed. I dont want to lose Barnett or I will be mad!

I agree 100% with PL..

I dont want to see Nick leave...during the season I was on the bubble of wanting him to stay or go, didnt matter...

But it just seems like he is what is needed with the LB..

What is he worth? I think he is going to get about 5 mill per year..Siugning bonus is going to be huge I think, probably more then what Woddy got..Dont ask me why, just a gut feeling..

Once the Moss issue is settled one way or the other, look for Nick to get his deal done.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think if we still have tons of cap space, and who are we kidding?, we will, we should give him around 5 or 6 mill per, 5 year deal. along with that, give him an exorbitantly high signing bonus since we have tons of cap space. sign moss to a deal that pays a 5 or 6 mill per base salary too, and split 2/3 of our remaining cap space between Moss and Nick this year. lock it up!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

:yeah:

me too. Barnett is one of mine and my wife's favorite players. Whenever we go to the bar and see the Packers, Barnett does something cool. We'd both be pissed if we lose him.

Members online

Latest posts