#49 Phi- DeSean Jackson, California
#51 Was- Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma
#53 Pit- Limas Sweed, Texas
(#55- Ray Rice, #56- Brian Brohm)
#58 TB- Dexter Jackson, Appalachian State

#205 Ind- Pierre Garcon, Mt Union
#217 GB- Brett Swain, San Diego St
#224 Buf- Stevie Johnson, Kentucky

Now, there are many ways to look at this!

#1- There have been many moments when Packer fans have seen DeSean Jackson rip it up and say "why didn't we take him?".... but look, if we did, then DJack wouldn't have beaten the Giants for us with that last-second punt return at the end of the year, which we needed to get into the playoffs.
And Jordy was gigantic for us in the Super Bowl. We needed him.

Plus look at all those other 2nd rounders.... so many busts.

A very interesting draft for WRs for sure. No WR went in the 1st round of that draft, and the Rams chose Don Avery as the 1st WR. He looked promising, but injuries stopped him early.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was screaming on draft day for the Pack to take him. When they didnt I ordered a custom made throwback jersey of Jackson. It wasnt even an option to pick his name and number when I ordered it.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have brought it up before but my favorite what if came in 96 when the Packers had Ray Lewis on the phone saying they were going to draft him as soon as baltimore made their pick. Then Ray got another call...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Other than the 1989 draft, one of my favorite 'what ifs' was the 1981 draft. With the 6th pick in the first round, "GM"/HC Bart Starr began that horrible draft by selecting QB Rich Campbell instead of Ronnie Lott, in spite of what he later said was his concern with a "hitch" in Campbell's throwing motion and his "love" for Lott. Would've loved to cheer on Lott in Green and Gold.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DAMN!
I didn't know that about either RAY LEWIS or RONNIE LOTT.
I loved Lott at USC.

Of course, by far, the worst WHAT IF was the pick of Mandarich before Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, and Derrick Thomas. Those 3 were Hall of Fame players, while Mandarich was just Tony Moll with a big contract and weird personality.

And then in 88, with 3 great WRS taken in the top 10 (Irvin, Tim Brown, Sterling Sharpe), we got the BEST one, but of course he had the early injury career-ender while Brown lasted forever, and Irvin lasted 5 more years.

Ivo, I wanted DeSean too, remember reading an article about him prior to that draft. And I did NOT want Jordy.

But would we have won the Super Bowl this year without Jordy?
Would we have gotten there if DeSean wasn't on the Eagles? Remember, his PR on the last play is what beat the Giants and kept them outta the playoffs. Or else those 2 teams might have flip-flopped? We would have then won at NYG instead though.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I have brought it up before but my favorite what if came in 96 when the Packers had Ray Lewis on the phone saying they were going to draft him as soon as baltimore made their pick. Then Ray got another call...
But could you see Ray Lewis as a packer? He's a beast but he doesn't fit the profile.

cupacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FrankRizzo said:
#1- There have been many moments when Packer fans have seen DeSean Jackson rip it up and say "why didn't we take him?".... but look, if we did, then DJack wouldn't have beaten the Giants for us with that last-second punt return at the end of the year, which we needed to get into the playoffs.
And Jordy was gigantic for us in the Super Bowl. We needed him.

you could also argue that if we had gotten jackson we could've won 1 more game (1 punt return for TD vs. patriots, redskins, dolphins, etc., just for 1 example) in which case it wouldn't matter if the giants beat the eagles in that game.

Chop0Suey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll take Jordy over DeSean any day of the week. I don't want that punk anywhere near my team!

Not to mention DJax was in the top five in drop percentage last season. No thanks.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you could also argue that if we had gotten jackson we could've won 1 more game (1 punt return for TD vs. patriots, redskins, dolphins, etc., just for 1 example) in which case it wouldn't matter if the giants beat the eagles in that game.
True.
But you could also argue that with our return unit (lack of) blocking, perhaps Jackson would have been more likely to have gotten injured than returning one for a TD.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But could you see Ray Lewis as a packer? He's a beast but he doesn't fit the profile.

Lombardi would have loved him.

Packer fans are passionate, Ray might be the most passionate player in the NFL.

While he has adopted a Baltimore type attitude I think he would have fit in well in GB. Nitschtke would have been proud.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DAMN!
I didn't know that about either RAY LEWIS or RONNIE LOTT.
I loved Lott at USC.

Of course, by far, the worst WHAT IF was the pick of Mandarich before Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, and Derrick Thomas. Those 3 were Hall of Fame players, while Mandarich was just Tony Moll with a big contract and weird personality.

And then in 88, with 3 great WRS taken in the top 10 (Irvin, Tim Brown, Sterling Sharpe), we got the BEST one, but of course he had the early injury career-ender while Brown lasted forever, and Irvin lasted 5 more years.

Ivo, I wanted DeSean too, remember reading an article about him prior to that draft. And I did NOT want Jordy.

But would we have won the Super Bowl this year without Jordy?
Would we have gotten there if DeSean wasn't on the Eagles? Remember, his PR on the last play is what beat the Giants and kept them outta the playoffs. Or else those 2 teams might have flip-flopped? We would have then won at NYG instead though.

I would have wanted D Thomas I guess out of those. While Deion was the most talented, he told the packers not to draft him, and he bounced around the league alot. My reason for not wanting Barry is the fear we would have become the Lions of the 90s. Teams dont win SBs with a run first style. Add him and favre though and it might have been the cowboys of the 90s. Thomas seems safe to me.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if we hadn't taken Brohm..................Rodgers might not of looked so comfortable at QB in comparison that offseason. This undoubtedly would have lead to TT taking Favre back and signing him to a 5 year extension. At some point during these 5 inception riddled years Rodgers would have left for greener pastures, Chicago. Thus leading us to a future in which Obama would be congratulating the Bears at the white house this week, Cutler would still be in Denver dreaming about his secret crush Tim Tebow :first_move: and Brett Favre would have lost out on his greatest legacy.......Jen Sterger. :telephone:

Yup thank God we took Brian Brohm no arguing that logic. :amen: :rotfl:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi would have cut Ray Lewis when the **** he was in came out. If not definitely when Ray helped his buddies who had just murdered someone by guy. As much as Lombardi loved footballs and those who played with passion and a high level, there were things more important to him.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I argue with my friends that if we had drafted Barry Sanders instead of Mandarich we would have gone 8-8 and Infante wouldn't have been fired and we wouldn't have hired Ron Wolf, Holmgren, etc.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi would have cut Ray Lewis when the **** he was in came out. If not definitely when Ray helped his buddies who had just murdered someone by guy. As much as Lombardi loved footballs and those who played with passion and a high level, there were things more important to him.

I think its amazing everyone played judge jury and executioner in the Ray Lewis situation. Nevermind that the prosecution realized they didnt have a case against him so they got him to plead guilty to a misdemeanor.

Vince would have hated the fans across Americas reaction to Ray Lewis when he went into stadiums and heard "******" "MURDERER" and "****". Vince would have been disgusted and rallied the team around that.

But to the dispute at hand, you think he wouldnt have welcomed back Ray to the team after pleading guilty for a misdemeanor but was okay with Hornung coming back after pulling a Pete Rose and betting on games?

Should I mention the stories of Packers of the 60s in bar fights? or scrapping with police? Which is a felony.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts