What if the Packers were 1-7.....

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This topic came up on a radio show this morning, and I thought it'd be a good discussion topic for here...

The caller said that if the Packers are at 1-7 (or some record where the season is toast) then the Pack should ask Brett if he thinks if he'll retire or not. If he says he's canning it as soon as the season is done, then in the interest of the future, bench Brett and put in Rodgers to get some experience.

Thoughts?!?

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
This topic came up on a radio show this morning, and I thought it'd be a good discussion topic for here...

The caller said that if the Packers are at 1-7 (or some record where the season is toast) then the Pack should ask Brett if he thinks if he'll retire or not. If he says he's canning it as soon as the season is done, then in the interest of the future, bench Brett and put in Rodgers to get some experience.

Thoughts?!?

Take time to get Rodgers ready, but use Nall as a second stringer until then.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way. Brett plays as long as he wants to. Nall? Why would you play Nall if theseason is shot? He is not the QB of the future.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
No way. Brett plays as long as he wants to. Nall? Why would you play Nall if theseason is shot? He is not the QB of the future.

If they want Rodgers as qb of the future, prepare him.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If the Packers go 1-7....

You ride Sherman out of town on a rail after he has been tarred and feathered, of course....

and after his *** had been seriously forked by the angry Green Bay Villagers with their torches and hayforks...!

(this guy just out and out SUCKS Musscy..and I WILL get you and DePack to admit it before long!)

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You plan for the years following Brett after the season. For all that he has done for this franchise and its fans, and always with class and dignity, he deserves to be allowed to finish his career on the field. Anything less would be an insult to a legendary player, and a slap in the face to all fans.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As a matter of fact musscy....

i hope the Packers keep Sherman after Favre retires and then you will really see how putrid and pathetic he is a Head Coach...Then...in the future..the fans of GB will never again be subjected to the off-handed appointment as HC of the GB Packers a "tight ends" coach who has no experience, no guts, and no knowledge of how to coach in the NFL...

"Tom Rossley, the quarterbacks coach of the Kansas City Chiefs who regards Sherman as his best friend in coaching, will coordinate the offense, but Sherman reiterated that he intends to call the plays.
Much of Rossley's career has been spent coaching the run-and-shoot offense or variations of it. As head coach at Southern Methodist from 1991-'96 (15-48-3 record) Rossley usually employed four wide receivers and threw the ball all over the field."

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
ingrates...
Ingrates? Since when do the Packers or any other team own any player the right to finish out the season and ignore the overall good of the team?
The Packer have taken care of Favre and put him in the position to win 3 MVP awards and make a ton of money. You say that the current mess is not Brett Favre's fault because he no longer has the players around him. Well who put the players around him to have a hall of fame career? Loyalty goes both ways.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wolf and Holmgren.....

(Why do you even care Bear fan?)

Your hatred of Favre for whipping Bear *** all of this of these years is painfully transparent!

Winters comin'...time for you Bears to go into hibernation and finish out your losing season.....

(And for your information *******...the Packers would not be better off by playing Aaron Rodgers now...the guy is a rookie and would in no way have a better chance of winning games then Brett Favre)

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66... I agree with you in the above post. You make so many valuable points on this forum.

Should the Pack start Aaron... NO! But if things are going bad or Great in a game how about giving the kid some game snaps.

Some serious snaps so he can fail faster. In my humble opinion the faster you fail as a QB the faster you become a great QB. You have to learn the reads, the speed of the game, the system and snaps in an actual game are a more valuable learning tool than snaps on a Wednesday morning.

Now Big Ben in Pitt may be the exception to the rule... Scary.

My thoughts are give Brett the ball... But do not be afraid to maximize the snaps young Arron can get.

RP

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I agree RP...

Did you happen to catch that Giants/Chargers game the other day...

Eli Manning looks like he is really coming along...
(I don't think Rodgers is as good as Eli..but in a few years he may be respectible...who knows? He needs time to develop..(and not just a few games))

Unfortunately for Brett Favre..he's in a place where the talent to win games is not around him like in the past, and he is forced to realize, as Steve Young stated, that the "Packer organization is not committed to winning championships anymore"...meaning they are in a re-building phase.

Now I think that if the prior GM had been smarter, he could have figured out a way to keep the necessary talent around Brett for another year or two until he retired. But it just didn't work out that way. It seems that he did not plan, scout, or manage the cap that well and we have what we have today.

Hell, all he had to do was try to keep the o-line or build depth earlier...and add depth at receiver positions and build the defense...and the Packers would be contending this year and maybe next.

But people...to blame Brett Favre with the state of the offense this year is patently unfair. Ferguson has NOT panned out..Driver is getting old...Chatman..well...we don't really know what Chatman is..and the rest are rookies!

Factor this in with the predictability of the offensive play calling (I thought Sherman was supposed to be good at calling plays?), and you don't give your HOF QB many options....

As many have mentioned...What happened to the screen pass or the pass to a RB in the flat...or any passes to a tight end? How about running some pick plays...stop and gos....or come back routes? How about some timing passes?....I don't see any of that kind of stuff...do you....

Think about it...that's what an offense is SUPPOSED to do....MIX IT UP!

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
You plan for the years following Brett after the season. For all that he has done for this franchise and its fans, and always with class and dignity, he deserves to be allowed to finish his career on the field. Anything less would be an insult to a legendary player, and a slap in the face to all fans.

We are not trying to bench Brett. We have to be prepared for the day that he retires. That may come sooner or later. Lets hope Brett keeps going as long as he can play.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66 you are doing your best to convince me and my green and gold eyes that Sherman may need to be replaced. Believe me, the past 3 Sundays have really tested my resolve so at some time soon you may be able to wear me down. If the Packers don't turn it around soon I may admit he must go but I will always respect Sherman the man and will wish him well. I'm not giving up on him yet but I truly hope when and if the time comes he is able to leave with dignity. He has earned that.

Like I said you may be able to convince me at a later date that his time has come and gone but you will never get me to react as venemously toward him as you have.

PS...I'm not putting you down for your passion....I love it....I just always think of the man instead of the position when something like this happens.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In response to the original question: No way would you treat a future Hall of Fame QB like that. It just isn't done. Brett Favre will play as long as he is the best QB on the roster. What would future high quality free agents think of the Packers if they saw the organization put Favre on the curb while he was still playing well?

I do think that if the team is 1-7 or worse, the coaches could start getting Rodgers into games if they were blowouts, but it would be unthinkable to bench Favre. He will need to consider retirement after the season is over, but not during the season. No way.

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Pack66 for completely contorting my post. I was simply asking that if the season was lost, and Brett said he'd retire at seasons end, would you a) let Brett play it out or b) try to give Rodgers some experience since he'd be starting next season...that's all.

Greg C....

Havel and Drew Smith said the same thing as you...no way would he consider it during the season, so I agree with you. Again, I was just throwing out a question, not trying to disrespect brett.

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Hell, all he had to do was try to keep the o-line or build depth earlier...and add depth at receiver positions and build the defense...and the Packers would be contending this year and maybe next.
!

Pack...don't oversimplify being a GM.

Everyone thinks MS is stupid for picking up Fergy over Chambers...well Josh Reed was drafted in the 2nd round of the same draft and was at least as high as Chamber or Fergy on most draft boards at the time, but do you or others **** and moan because the Packers didn't pick him?!? Of course not because you have the aide of hindsight.

Who complained about the JJ move at the time? MS "reached" for Walker, but do you ever give him credit for that?!? No...so stop this juvenille hindsight-based argument that it's so simple to put together a quality team. MS didn't quite get the job done, so he was relieved of his duties, but it's not as though he handicapped the team or maliciously screwed the Packers over. Besides, if it were as easy as you make it sound, then how come Wolf only won one super bowl w/ Brett?!?

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As many have mentioned...What happened to the screen pass or the pass to a RB in the flat

Pack...I keep telling you about that Fergy int when Henderson was wide open...that play could have been a pass to the rb in the flat, but Brett opted out of it...that's not MS' fault. As for screens...maybe it's because the guards can't pull.

Like DePack said...it's not that I don't deny that MS has faults, and it's not that I think that everything is Brett's fault...but guys like DePack and I also aren't naiive enough to think it's as simplistic and one sided as you make it out to be.

Fine, the Packers go pick up the next trendy coach...but then they could wind up w/ another Ray Rhodes, Steve Spurrier, or if they're lucky, your fav. Bill Belichek. MS has kept the Packers consistently in the hunt for the last 5 years...something Parcells, Gruden, Coughlin, Edwards, etc....haven't done.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
...I do think that if the team is 1-7 or worse, the coaches could start getting Rodgers into games if they were blowouts, but it would be unthinkable to bench Favre. He will need to consider retirement after the season is over, but not during the season. No way.

I agree with Greg. I could see Rodgers coming into games if they were blowouts, but I can't see Rodgers starting this year regardless what the record is if Favre is healthy enough to play.

That said though, I'm still not going to give up on the season yet. There were some signs of improvement in the Tampa game, but also some indications of slippage in a few areas. So I'm not sure what to expect now. But I'm not going to give up on them. The season is too early, the competition has weaknesses too, and other teams are starting to pile up injuries now too. So I'll hope for the best, and be prepared for the worst.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Wolf and Holmgren.....

Your hatred of Favre for whipping Bear *** all of this of these years is painfully transparent!

Winters comin'...time for you Bears to go into hibernation and finish out your losing season.....

(And for your information *******...the Packers would not be better off by playing Aaron Rodgers now...the guy is a rookie and would in no way have a better chance of winning games then Brett Favre)
And for your information, I never said that the Packers would be better off playing Rodgers you moron. Learn to read before you go into a little hissy fit.
My point was that maybe you should get over your school girl crush on Brett Favre and see the situation for what it is.
You suffer from hero worship and blindly defend your idol no matter what the truth is. Yet another crybaby who can't deal with the situation at hand. Or maybe you are used to dealing with things "at hand"

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
P@ck66 said:
Wolf and Holmgren.....

And for your information, I never said that the Packers would be better off playing Rodgers you moron. Learn to read before you go into a little hissy fit.
My point was that maybe you should get over your school girl crush on Brett Favre and see the situation for what it is.
You suffer from hero worship and blindly defend your idol no matter what the truth is. Yet another crybaby who can't deal with the situation at hand. Or maybe you are used to dealing with things "at hand"

Pack66,

Let's not knock our troll Bear fan... He has NO heroes to look up to on that team.
Feel pity for Phil the poor Bear fan... He is lost in this Packer maze and has not found the way out yet.

Mama Bear and Papa Bear were getting a divorce and baby Bear was asked by the sympathetic judge... "Baby bear, would you like to go live with Papa Bear...?" To which the baby bear blurted, trying to hold back her tears... "NO sir! He... He BEATS me!"
Taken aback, the judge asked the Baby bear... "So then you want to go live with Mama Bear...?" To which the baby bear in full tears cried out...
"Oh NO sir! She beats me too!"
The Judge, now holding back tears of his own, asked baby bear... "Who would you like to go live with?"
To which the Baby Bear replied with a hopeful glee, "I'd like to go live with the CHICAGO BEARS... They don't beat ANYBODY!"

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Philtration said:
P@ck66 said:
Wolf and Holmgren.....

Pack66,

Let's not knock our troll Bear fan... He has NO heroes to look up to on that team.
Feel pity for Phil the poor Bear fan... He is lost in this Packer maze and has not found the way out yet.

Mama Bear and Papa Bear were getting a divorce and baby Bear was asked by the sympathetic judge... "Baby bear, would you like to go live with Papa Bear...?" To which the baby bear blurted, trying to hold back her tears... "NO sir! He... He BEATS me!"
Taken aback, the judge asked the Baby bear... "So then you want to go live with Mama Bear...?" To which the baby bear in full tears cried out...
"Oh NO sir! She beats me too!"
The Judge, now holding back tears of his own, asked baby bear... "Who would you like to go live with?"
To which the Baby Bear replied with a hopeful glee, "I'd like to go live with the CHICAGO BEARS... They don't beat ANYBODY!"
LOL! That was a good one. :D

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking from experience, as we were 1-7 to start the season last year, you NEVER THROW IT IN.

We played every available player. The best available player at their position or out of position to make ends meet. Brett is better than Rogers. You play Brett. He simply gives you the best chance to win week in and week out.

We lost on a blocked field goal attempt in week 17 that kept us out of the playoffs. That's what 1-7 can be.

Members online

Latest posts