What has happened to the home field advantage of Lambeau Field?

Reaction score
We don't have a team fit out for cold weather. Even though we can win at home, passing game is not fit out for bad weather. I feel we need to be balanced in offense and play great defense. We didn't have a running game or a good defense going into the playoffs and that's why we won the Super Bowl last year and lost this year. It is to inconsistent to throw in the cold. To win in at lambeau later in the year consistently we need to play more smashmouth football

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't have a team fit out for cold weather. Even though we can win at home, passing game is not fit out for bad weather. I feel we need to be balanced in offense and play great defense. We didn't have a running game or a good defense going into the playoffs and that's why we won the Super Bowl last year and lost this year. It is to inconsistent to throw in the cold. To win in at lambeau later in the year consistently we need to play more smashmouth football

I agree. The Packers of the 60s established the run quite often. The championship teams were about equal in terms of passing and rushing yardage, and they had 181 and 148 yards rushing in the 1961 and 1962 NFL championships respectively, both games being cold-weather games (17 degrees in 1961 and 25 degrees in 1962). The 1985 snow bowl game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers had the Packers steamrolling the Bucs for 232 rushing yards and 3 touchdowns. In the only home playoff win I remember, the 2007 divisional round vs. the Seahawks (the entire field was blanketed with snow), Ryan Grant ran for 201 yards and 3 touchdowns.
The Packers run a precision-passing type offense, which requires factors in the weather to be nearly perfect, which is why Rodgers performs well in domes. With passing, you have to worry about throwing the ball right, the trajectory of the pass, the wind, and whether or not the receiver hangs on to the ball or not, and cold weather can affect all that. With rushing, you only have to worry about finding holes and powering through them for yardage, and with the exception of fumbling, the cold shouldn't have much of an impact on the run game. Although the Packers gained 147 yards on the ground in the Divisional round, there were a lot more that contributed to the loss, such as the poor tacking, the awful defense, the questionable play calling, the "off" throws, and the receivers not hanging on to the ball.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

I will totally agree about needing a running game. We need a back that can carry the load, and get the tough yards. Grant USED to be that guy. Starks may become that guy, but he isn't right now. As far as the D, we just need to be better than we were this year, not necessarily great.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Homefield advantage is still an advantage. But when you have a garbage defense and nobody can catch a football....you aren't going to win any games....no matter where you are playing.

Not being cold weather offense is a bunch of hot air. Rodgers passed for 400 some yards and 4 touchdowns last year against the Giants in 20 degree weather. Week 17 against the Lions in 30 degree weather we had 6 touchdowns through the air.

Our failures this postseason had nothing to do with weather. It was a mild winter in Green Bay this year and we still stunk up the joint. We were terrible defensively, we couldn't tackle, we couldn't run the ball and nobody could catch.

We do however need some type of a run game that opposing teams will respect. Nobody gives two flying rats ***** about James Starks. Not only because he's not a dynamic running threat, but because we don't run the ball enough as is.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

Home field advantage used to mean something. Then about 10 years ago Michael Vick ran all over the defense in Green Bay, since then I'll bet we're maybe .500 in playoff games at home. Aaron is 0-1. We're 0-2 against the Giants at home...and seriously NONE of the games we've lost at home in the last 10 years are games that we should've lost.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team has a GREAT PASSING OFFENSE.

That is it. Think about it.
Our running game sucks (that means it's well below average. Nobody can argue that).

Our defense allowed teams to march up & down the field on us, and except for turnovers by mostly bad QBs, we didn't stop anyone.

The Giants scored 35+ twice on us, the Saints 34, the Vikings 27 once with the rookie QB, Tampa Bay even got 26, and Detroit got 41.

So we are great where: PASSING.
This is why I said to move our home games to Miami in the playoffs. Tongue-in-cheek I know, but if it really could be done it would help us I am 100% sure of.

In fact, did any of you see Greg Jennings Friday on that horrible ESPN show?
Here's what Jennings said to do in the cold of Lambeau Field: http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/green-...m_campaign=Feed:+CheeseheadTv+(Cheesehead+TV)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Revisiting an old thread. We are 4-0 at home this year with some gaudy numbers against mediocre-to-poor teams. I think that we are far from establishing a Lambeau advantage again, but this is a good start.

(Note to the admins - there has GOT to be a way to make "Lambeau" a word that is recognized by the automatic spell-checker on a Packers forum!)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

(Note to the admins - there has GOT to be a way to make "Lambeau" a word that is recognized by the automatic spell-checker on a Packers forum!)

We have a top team of researchers on it as you read this.

fritothedog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

When you type "Lambeau" right click on it and then click "Add to Dictionary."

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
If we lose to the Lions at home I'll believe we no longer have home field advantage.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't read the whole thing, but this might be in the context of people like me, who view the playoffs as the start of the season (yes, I know you can't be in the playoffs without a good regular season) and judge a season's success by the playoff record. Run the numbers in that context, and it'll explain some people's contention that we used to have an absolute advantage (i.e., undefeated in playoffs at home from 1936-2002) and certainly don't now (3-5 since then).

D

Deleted member 6794

Didn't read the whole thing, but this might be in the context of people like me, who view the playoffs as the start of the season (yes, I know you can't be in the playoffs without a good regular season) and judge a season's success by the playoff record. Run the numbers in that context, and it'll explain some people's contention that we used to have an absolute advantage (i.e., undefeated in playoffs at home from 1936-2002) and certainly don't now (3-5 since then).

IMO the talk about the Packers unbeaten streak at home before the 2002 loss to the Falcons is way exaggerated. I mean we´re talking about 13 games over a span of 62 years and some of these Packers teams were that dominant they would have won those games if they would have been played on the moon.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Certainly true. However, just like disparaging a team's great record by noting that they played a bunch of cupcakes, the answer to the second part is that the record against everyone at home in the playoffs was unblemished. As far at the first part goes, again, certainly true, but if you're going to bang on the record for those reasons, watch out for the folks that trot out the 'the Pack has won more championships than anyone else' mantra - when do you start counting? If one does accept the playoff concept presented, then let's ignore the initially stellar run and just ask why

Members online

Latest posts