What Former Packer Would Help Us The Most?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you could bring one former Green Bay Packer back to the roster in their prime to help the 2013 Packers, who would it be?

Reggie White?

Herb Atterly?

Jeff Query? (a joke)

LeRoy Butler?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Definatley reggie white.......

Iknow this is a just for fun post, but there is a former packer FA still on the market. Have not kept up with him, but Nick Barrnet is stillavailable....could be had on the cheap and might be a good pick up for a situational player.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie, of course. All time greatest Packer - well, all time greatest NFL player, actually.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
[caution: spelling smack approaching] Herb Atterly? Would have liked to see him play, was he good? Now Herb Adderley was fantastic but the question posed is answered with the first option. Reggie White is the best defensive player I have ever seen. IMO he's the best defensive player in the modern era (define that anyway you want). This isn't even close - a defense with Reggie and Clay? Yikes.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Perhaps, but the game has changed quite a bit too and the linemen have gotten bigger.

Collins was incredible at safety and we're still not recovered from losing him. His return, in his prime, would elevate our defense considerably also.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Collins.

Though Reggie is Packer royalty, not sure how well he'd do in 2013 compared to the game in the 90s.
huh? You must be joking.

6'5". 305 lbs, 4.6 40. Could bench 450 lbs, and you think the game passed him by?

13 consecutive Probowls, 2x DMVP, etc.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps, but the game has changed quite a bit too and the linemen have gotten bigger.

Collins was incredible at safety and we're still not recovered from losing him. His return, in his prime, would elevate our defense considerably also.

True, but I don't think people remember how flipping big Reggie was. He was a 6-5, 300 pound 4-3 end. He got a lot of his sacks in Philly kicking down to tackle on passing downs and just murdered guards. He could play any position on any line except maybe 2-gap 3-4 NT. He could probably do it, though not as well as the rest and it would waste his talents.

In short, at worst Reggie would be downgraded from "Possible Greatest of All Time" to "Perennial Pro Bowler" if he played for us today. I'll take that.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
A reggie white in his prime and a healthy CM3 would be the most leathal combo in all the league.

Highlight films of reggie show him litterally taking O linemen off their feet and tossing them aside like a rag roll, the guy was just a brute force.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie white would be a great addition to any team in any time period without a doubt. But if I could pick one former packer it would have to be Ahman Green. 6 1000 yd seasons , 33 100 yd games, 350 + receptions by a RB... All packer records. In his prime he was the perfect blend of size speed power and receiving ability. After leaving and then coming back he also became the teams all time leading rusher.

Reggie could turn our D from average to one of the leagues best. Adding Ahman Green in his prime to this team could make the O one of the best of all time.

H

HardRightEdge

White's a no brainer. BPA at a position of need. He could easily dominate at 3-4 end moving inside in nickel.

Let's make it more interesting. Let's assume we have J.J. Watt on the roster and all these guys are going into the third year of a four year rookie contract. Under that scenario, I think I'd go with Butler.

Or how about this: let's say White is a 26 year old FA going into his second contract asking for Mario Williams money. Do you consider him?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read what I said.

I said I wasn't sure how he'd do in today's game, that's not saying I think the game passed him by.
Read what you said. Several times, as a matter of fact.

Reggies measureables exceed anyone in the NFL right now. Think about Ndamakan Suh - perhaps the most talented DL in the last few years. He was slower, shorter, slightly heavier, and weaker than Reggie at 6'4"307 5.0 40.

Add into that Reggie gave 100% every play and was an unquestioned leader on and off the field.

Now, how does that not translate to today's game?

I heard Larry Allen, probowl G for Dal, speak once. He was asked about the toughest matchup he ever faced. He said he weighed 325 and was used to pushing guys around. The first play against Reggie, Reggie did the Club move and lifted him off his feet. One arm - 325 lb lineman.

Or how about this: let's say White is a 26 year old FA going into his second contract asking for Mario Williams money. Do you consider him?

I call that a bargain,
the best I ever had.
The best I ever had.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I surprised that nobody has picked a lineman such as Forrest Gregg or Chad Clifton since that seems to be such a need for the current team as well. Think of how well a fantastic left tackle would both bolster the pass game and enable RBs to gain yards.

My apologies about spelling Herb Adderley's name incorrectly in the original post.

M

mayo44

Linemen haven't gotten bigger. What about the 90s Cowboys? Or the original Hogs? Those lines were bigger than a lot of teams' lines today, and the Hogs date back to the early 80s. White would dominate as much as ever.

Members online

Latest posts